Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 25-06-2007, 08:58 PM   #1
hitork
Injected

Default AV TX5 Manual. New Gearbox. Why?

Im just wondering how hard my car would have had 2 have been thrashed and for how long for the following 2 happen.

I had just brought the car bout 2 weeks prior its done bout 295000 kms and is 1990 2.2l manual. I was driving down the highway and needed 2 change lanes so i down shifted to 4th. i felt a massive clunk so i stoped at my mates house. i left my car in the driveway for about 10 minutes and when i backed out i noticed about 2 litres of oil where my car was parked. My mechanic thought it looked like i had done a rear main and there was still enough gearbox oil to drive it so i drove it 2 his workshop. He pulled the box out and found that the clutch was worn to within like 2mm of material left and some part of the clutch assembely had given was and ripped a massive hole through the bell housing and the main shaft out of the box was on an angle and oil was leaking. Funny thing was after leaking soo much oil the box oil was still at the full mark.

The gearbox was completely totaled. My mechanic's said that in all of there combined years they have never seen a gearbox half as slaughtered as mine and it needed to be seriously thrashed for that result. I needed a new gearbox and clutch and all of the things assosiated with it. It was expensive after just buying the car.

Id like 2 know about anyones experiances like it also.
Thanx.

hitork is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 01:28 AM   #2
dirty hands
Over Thinker

a paid independent inspection pre purchase of the car
would have saved you this problem

get another gearbox and clutch and the car should give you good service

the engine /car should have shown signs of being badly mantainned or thrashed as well to a trained eye
Old 26-06-2007, 01:52 AM   #3
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was in the broken box club too went bang at over 100km/h=me **** bricks. Ripped the gears to shreds. Blew 1st 3rd and 5th if memory serves me correctly. The guy who bought it off me has blown a few in a year too. Cost me $1300 for a second hand one.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2007, 11:52 PM   #4
hitork
Injected

yer i paid bout $1400 but that was with a few other things like a new driveshaft. I bought it off a person my mother knows and she isn't the sort of person to thrash a car (never missed saturday church) but i found out they lent the car to a friend for a month whos own car was in the workshop. I drew my own conclusions to why his car was in there lol. It's good to know that im not alone in my pain. I just raced a VL Turbo on my was home and i must say he didnt beat me as bad as i thought, innfact as we got to higher speeds I passed him.
hitork is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post