Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-01-2007, 02:09 AM   #1
Muscle_Inc
GT= The Gamble,The Legend

Default The Ongoing Dilemma.

My Father currently owns a AU Fairmont Ghia and since the day of his purchase which hasnt been all that long ago i can honestly say (touch wood) its been a pretty good car. Wherever he is bound to go he receives some form of positive feedback about the car even with owners who have cars that are worth twice the price tag of the au!

Although not that long ago it seems to have this ongoing squeaking noise after your slowly taking off from a parked position and you have selected D with even just letting the car slowly roll forward (on flat surface) it makes at times these annoying squeaking noises.

I have been to my local mechanic and being a handbrake related issue which somewhat is a common problem with the AU/BA we anyhow basically stripped off everything thats related to this problem and got it cleaned, sprayed and adjusted to ford specifications! Despite performing this service just a couple of days ago ive noticed its appearing a little bit again.

So basically what im trying to find out is - Is there a fix for this problem?
- Is it something we have to live with?
- Or should i let it go (SOMETHING I DONT WANT TO DO!)

Guys as always any sort of help is greatly appreciated with the thanks for taking the time to read my post.......cheers

Muscle_Inc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2007, 02:17 AM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

A fix GK posted for this is to file the edges of the handbrake shoes at 45 degrees - this apparently helps to reduce the noise.

If that doesn't work, then be comforted by the fact that this issue plagues most AUs, BAs, commondores, and magnas in Oz at one time or another. It is a design "feature" of the handbrake in a disc!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2007, 03:15 AM   #3
Muscle_Inc

JC Ill take that into account and pass it on to my mechanic. As im not sure if this theory has been put into practice on the AU. Either way thanks champ!!!
Old 19-01-2007, 09:16 AM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Even the filing of the shoes didn't work for very long. Perhaps I didn't take enough off. Not sure. Others may have more success.

Heres how I did it though if you're interested! Some background info as well.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...72&postcount=68

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...65&postcount=54

I saw a suggestion not too long ago, that recommended jacking the rear, and with the wheels off placing the car in drive and seeing if the disc rotors spin. Then using the worm gear adjuster, accessed from the black plug on the rotor drum, adjust (back it off) until it stops.

I'm not sure if anyone has tried this, but I the idea has merit.

If anyone gives it a go, please ensure you have the car properly safety standed / supported.

Having both rears up with no wheels would get really ugly if it went pair-shaped!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2007, 11:22 AM   #5
Autocade

I thought the problem was unique to IRS vehicles only
I have had the binding Handbrake issue for over 5 years
So far had the rear shoes rotors & cable replaced and adjusted many times by Ford dealer and it just keeps coming back after a short while
I have found engaging the Handbrake while reversing for a few metres or sometimes driving forward seems to free it up for a while if it gets very bad
I finally gave up about a year ago and just turn up the radio a little louder

Oh and have found that fitting a red back 2.5 sports exhaust
or 2 children and your wife or partner work very effectively to drown out the noise

Good Luck
Cheers
Autocade
:
Autocade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2007, 12:22 AM   #6
Muscle_Inc

We shall see how we go, will try some other methods if possible which might reduce the squeaking and hopefully there will be some positive outcome

AUTOCADE and GK thanks for the input fellas!
Old 20-01-2007, 09:45 AM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNG-40L
We shall see how we go, will try some other methods if possible which might reduce the squeaking and hopefully there will be some positive outcome

AUTOCADE and GK thanks for the input fellas!
All the best with it!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post