Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-11-2006, 07:32 PM   #1
AUIIForte

Default Fully Adjustable shiftkit

Hay I was looking around for shiftkits and I checked out http://www.shiftkits.com.au and they seem to be pretty professional about their stuff, so if I was to buy one, I would most likely buy from them.
BUT are the shift kits actually worth it? My box has done now 280,000kms, but it still feels really nice and smooth. Im wondering if its all worth it? Is it really as easy as they say it is to fit one in? And if I did go for the shiftkit, I would just go all out and get the Fully Adjustable shiftkit for $115!

Ive read a few posts saying it chirps into second or something like that? What is chirping into second or what ever? Also, ive read that people have said it doesnt really improve times, but if it does'nt, then what does it do? It would seem to me that the faster it changes gears, the faster your times would be because your gaining speed faster?

So thats it, is the shiftkit really worth it? Will it make my car any faster? Will it make it more responsive? I just want something different from my car without spending over $200 because I have other things that need to be paid. Im in an AU series 2 forte btw if that makes any difference at all...

AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 07:37 PM   #2
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Before installing it on to your box, I would recommend:
Transmission Service + Transmission Cooler.

Although, technically the shift kit is "not-bad" for your transmission, it can still cause some damage. The fast gear changes, means there is a lot of heat build up. And the Cooler helps this problem. Also make sure your Transmission is regularly serviced, afterwards.

A shift kit, will make the shifts faster -> faster times. Over a 1/4 mile a shift kit, will only be responsible for 0.1-0.2 seconds, if that. It's a cheap mod, and with extra modifications, some cars can chirp into different gears. Chirping, is just the screech of the tyres, from the power being applied to the road again, after changing gears.

My tip is though, not to leave it on all the time. Just when your at the drags, or in for some spirited driving.

LG
Old 15-11-2006, 07:43 PM   #3
AUIIForte

Does it actually feel different when your driving? 0.1-0.2 difference in qtr mile time isnt much at all... Pretty much the weather can increase your times more then that.

When your in the car, does it 'feel' like its faster. lol I dont want to sound like a whining baby, but I really would like to know!

Out of a scale from 0-10 (0 is the car without the shiftkit and 10 means it feels very very much faster) you know what I mean... Give it a rating in terms of how much difference in feel from driving that you get..
Old 15-11-2006, 07:55 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I have the switchable 2 stage kit, and in terms of how much faster the car goes on a 0 to 10 scale, i would say 1. As far as shift firmness goes, on a scale from 0-10, stage 1 shift is around 7, and stage 2 around 12. I would prefer something around 5 (let's assume that 0 is standard firmness).

If you are going to get one, get the fully adjustable one. I leave mine off most of the time as it really bangs into gear on either setting, so fully adjustable would be great.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 07:58 PM   #5
AUIIForte

Thanks, thats basicly all I needed to hear! Im going to buy the fully adjustable one real soon now. Real quick, how much will the Tranny service cost? And any recommended places in Canberra to get it serviced?
Old 15-11-2006, 08:02 PM   #6
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

basically a shift kit is just to speed/firm up the shifts, also if you want this as a permanent addition i guess...then when you get a trans service, instead of getting a shift kit the s5 solenoid in the au auto is adjustable to do the same thing, the only difference being that this is housed inside the transmission and can only be adjusted when the oil pan is removed
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 08:38 PM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIForte
Thanks, thats basicly all I needed to hear! Im going to buy the fully adjustable one real soon now. Real quick, how much will the Tranny service cost? And any recommended places in Canberra to get it serviced?
I use TTBS - Tuggeranong Transmission and Brake Service or AutoTorque in phillip. Both have served me well over the years. Standard Tranny service is around $150, add another $100 if you want a full fluid flush.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 15-11-2006, 08:52 PM   #8
AUIIForte

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I use TTBS - Tuggeranong Transmission and Brake Service or AutoTorque in phillip. Both have served me well over the years. Standard Tranny service is around $150, add another $100 if you want a full fluid flush.
Nice, thank you so much, TTBS is just down the road from me!

Thanks for all the help guys, im going to get the service done beginning of next week, and then the following week, install the shiftkit!
Old 15-11-2006, 09:20 PM   #9
peyote
Grandpa EF Wagon

if it's for a 4.0l you could make your own for 1/3 of the price
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EF&AU shiftkit with pot.JPG (25.3 KB, 150 views)
Old 15-11-2006, 10:36 PM   #10
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quick question,

Since its a switch that switches the shift pattern can you use your own "switch". I was hoping to use (since the XR6's dont have one) the "eco" switch next to the shifter on most standard falcons.

Hope this makes sense, can it be done??
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 10:42 PM   #11
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6007
Quick question,

Since its a switch that switches the shift pattern can you use your own "switch". I was hoping to use (since the XR6's dont have one) the "eco" switch next to the shifter on most standard falcons.

Hope this makes sense, can it be done??
A normal toggle switch is off when the circuit's not connected, and the switch itself holds the circuit on when you flick it to on. The power/econ button is a momentary switch, meaning it only sends a signal for a brief moment, otherwise it's off, so it wouldn't work (well, for a split second it would, but then it wouldn't). Nice idea though.

Peyote - if I wanted to make the shift less firm, what would I replace the 18 Ohm resistor with? Would I go a higher number, or lower number?

Old 15-11-2006, 11:55 PM   #12
peyote
Grandpa EF Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Peyote - if I wanted to make the shift less firm, what would I replace the 18 Ohm resistor with? Would I go a higher number, or lower number?
Where i put the pot there was a 10 watt 5.6 ohm resistor,so i would think by changing ohms to a lower one would make the shift less firm.

Thats the whole idea of a fully adjustable kit the shift firmness is variable you dont need to turn it up all the way i have mine on about 1/3

The original mod was'nt put together by me i found it on fordmods i just added the pot.
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewt...er=asc&start=0 its a long read

just found this in the mod post
changing either of the resistor's values will change the shift. I think lower on the 5.6 will soften, higher on the 18 will soften. Higher on the 5.6 will increase firmness and lower on the 18 will increase firmness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shiftkitdiagram.JPG (11.4 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by peyote; 15-11-2006 at 11:59 PM. Reason: more info
peyote is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 12:33 AM   #13
Stingray
Sponsor

Shift kits are an intersting topic. We had a stage 10/10 shift kit on the wagon until the rear main seal and tailshaft self destructed.Hard shifts mean alot of shock to the driveline.Its horses for courses.They definately do feel better but use at your own risk

For car handfree kits ..
Reverse sensors
Reverse camera
Central locking.
Spot lights.
Alarm upgrades for cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_ed_wagon
The mob at stingray really care about their customers and dont just take the money, send the item and its all over, they keep in contact all the way through the sale and try to help out...

www.stingraycar.com.au
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 01:06 AM   #14
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Thanks peyote and stingray for the info. I think I'm going to go a 23 Ohm resistor instead of the 18 and see if that softens things up a bit; if it does, that may do me.

Old 16-11-2006, 11:03 AM   #15
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray
Shift kits are an intersting topic. We had a stage 10/10 shift kit on the wagon until the rear main seal and tailshaft self destructed.Hard shifts mean alot of shock to the driveline.Its horses for courses.They definately do feel better but use at your own risk
I am tossing up whether or not to with my new auto ... but now that auto place has adjusted the solenoids for me ... it now is fairly firm ... but no harshness at all on shifting ... the new auto is great .... am happy with it.

was originally meant for a supercharged XR8 ... but I know have it in the ute ... cost me $2000 for it though ... but hell. manual shifting is sooo much better. At least I know it is meant to handle a bit of abuse without an issue.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 12:03 PM   #16
EL8TED
It all counts

how would it differ for an eseries v8 ?
Old 16-11-2006, 12:06 PM   #17
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

From what I know ... all that was done to get it fitted was to used my old auto's bellhousing to fit it.

I think the gear ratios might be different. Mine has had the bands changed ... solenoids are set stronger ... not sure what else was done internally. I also run a trans cooler as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 02:41 PM   #18
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I wish there was an Automobile Mythbusters TV show for this kind of thing. Anyone want to invest in a new TV show pilot?

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 05:30 PM   #19
AUIIForte

Last thing about the shiftkit im getting, how do I go about getting to my ECU behind the passenger wall? Is there a way to take off the carpet in a way that it can be easily be put back on without having to jam the carpet back into its fittings? And with the cables going to the switch and turning nob, how would I go about taking them behind to plastic panel to the point where I want them to be (which is near my left knee when I drive)
Old 16-11-2006, 06:10 PM   #20
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
I wish there was an Automobile Mythbusters TV show for this kind of thing. Anyone want to invest in a new TV show pilot?
I am the test pilot. Coming up allfords road a wrx was acting smart so the shift kit went on ,the gears changed harder then a nasty boom boom boom !! The rear main seal blew to smitherines.I had to drive very slowly as the oil leakt out of the box.Mind you ..I am not complaining the cars goes better with the shift kit on but you have to pay a price for th savage shifts.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 06:14 PM   #21
xr8ute
Back on the road

Stav...you are a madman...lol.

Shiftkits dont need to be setup so aggresively to be the most affective. You just want a "firm" shift that doesn't noticeably unsettle the car.

Thats why the fully adjustable shiftkit is the best option, you can set the firmness right where you want it.

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 08:04 PM   #22
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I suppose your right.I set mine on d for destroy the opposition but it destroyed my box....lol :lookedat:

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 08:26 PM   #23
Skooter

Quote:
peyote if it's for a 4.0l you could make your own for 1/3 of the price
If I was to do the same thing in the eb what value pot should I get, I know the value for the smaller resistor in the eb is 1 or 1.2 for firmer so a 1 or 1.2ohm 15 watt one would work? and whats the full name of a pot thing its on the tip of my tounge but just cant think of it?

Mike
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 10:34 PM   #24
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^potentiometer
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 11:08 PM   #25
peyote
Grandpa EF Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooter
If I was to do the same thing in the eb what value pot should I get, I know the value for the smaller resistor in the eb is 1 or 1.2 for firmer so a 1 or 1.2ohm 15 watt one would work? and whats the full name of a pot thing its on the tip of my tounge but just cant think of it?

Mike
i used a 5 ohm 15 watt potentiometer because jaycar did'nt have any 10 watt ones.
i explained to them what i wanted it for and they said the 15 watt would be fine,give your local jaycar a call to see if they have any 1.2ohm 10watt potentiometer

also it's different pins on the ECU for EB-ED 4.0l
http://www.mechanicalforums.com/down...8e3107e0164f16 <you will need to sign-up

i'd also like to add
i accept no responsibility in anyone frys or blows anything up whilst doing this mod