Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 23-04-2021, 12:28 PM   #1
Froger
Starter Motor

Default Festiva Trio not starting after running

As in title I have a 1999 WF Festiva Trio 1300 ..
Starts no worries when I leave home runs fine , get to where i'm going 15 minutes later turn it off do what I have to do hit the key turns over doesn't start , try to start a couple of times still no start , let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes starts again... Some days it doesn't have any troubles at all ..
This showed up after the Heavy rain we had recently , but I sprayed the dizzy and an all other connection with WD40 and it started , next time it stopped and I sprayed again it didn't start
I plan on taking some electrical wire with alligator clips and connect to the coil lead unplugged at dizzy to check for spark when I turn it over when it does it again ...

Do these cars have a fuel filter that maybe clogging up ?
Could the coil be close to Fried ?
Any suggestions would be much appreciated as it's great running little car Regularly Maintained .

Cheers ALL
Froger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2021, 02:00 PM   #2
adyadad

Default Re: Festiva Trio not starting after running

It may be a long shot but I used to have a Mazda that did exactly this. Turned out it was voltage drop in the starting circuit. I had a relay put in to make sure I got 12 volts from the key (small wire onto starter solenoid) and never had a problem again.

Last edited by adyadad; 23-04-2021 at 02:01 PM. Reason: error
adyadad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-04-2021, 07:23 PM   #3
Froger
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by adyadad View Post
It may be a long shot but I used to have a Mazda that did exactly this. Turned out it was voltage drop in the starting circuit. I had a relay put in to make sure I got 12 volts from the key (small wire onto starter solenoid) and never had a problem again.
Thanks adyadad will look at that for sure ..
Froger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2021, 07:29 PM   #4
adyadad

The older the car, the more likelihood of voltage drop. It's an easy job to do yourself. Just a normal small Bosch relay, some wire and connectors. 10 minutes max.
adyadad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2021, 12:30 PM   #5
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Sounds like a possible dizzy module to me, that is if the cap and rotor are ok?
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: