Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-08-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
Matthew
AU2 (Oo===oO) XR6

Default Putting a manual in my XR6?

Hey guy ive become bored of the auto in my XR6 and was looking at converting it to manual. How much would this cost me and what needs to be changed on the car?

If its to much ill probaly end up buying a manual XR6, only problem is finding a series 3 vct isnt easy and im very happy with my current one so id rather work on that.

Thanks
Matt

Old 15-08-2009, 08:42 PM   #2
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew
Hey guy ive become bored of the auto in my XR6 and was looking at converting it to manual. How much would this cost me and what needs to be changed on the car?

If its to much ill probaly end up buying a manual XR6, only problem is finding a series 3 vct isnt easy and im very happy with my current one so id rather work on that.

Thanks
Matt
Things you need,
Gearbox (T5), with the manual box cross member support bracket
Manual Pedal box
Clutch cable
Bellhousing including pressure plate, clutch plate, manual flywheel and spigot bearing

Gear leaver and either cut out auto center console or a manual one.
You have a series 3 which means the gearbox wiring loom will be easy to modify for getting rid of the inhibitor switch and setting up the reverse lights.

Drive shaft not 100% sure i think that it will just use the original.

I don't think you will have to replace the ecu as i beleive it will run with an auto one but again not 100% sure.

I am going to be doing a manual conversion on my AU II wagon within the next couple of weeks. I have got all of the parts but will pay someone else to do it.
I hope this gives you some idea on the parts needed. i got all of mine by purchasing a write off so as for individual part prices i'm not to sure.
But an overall figure would probably be about the $2500 mark if you buy them as a conversion kit.

Hope this is of some help thanks, Rhys.

PS. once i have done it i will show a thread as to exactly what is needed to do the conversion.

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
Matthew
AU2 (Oo===oO) XR6

Thanks Rhys, yeah thats what i wanted to know cheers mate very helpful. Looks abit costly, purchasing a write off sounds like a smart idea but ill see what happens i guess.
Ill definitely keep an eye out for your thread.

cheers
Matt
Old 16-08-2009, 09:31 PM   #4
Mack 6
SUMP PLUG

ring some wrecker/workshops. Limoscene, a ford wrecker here in adelaide took a manual setup out of a wreck and transferred it into my auto 6 for 1350 changeover with a 2 day turn around. only issue was they didn't have a manual ecu, but I have a flash tuner so i sorted small issues like that.
Bear in mind it's more if you want to reco the box and new clutch etc, but i'm happy with mine and can do clutch etc later if needed.
Mack 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post