Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-12-2021, 11:26 PM   #91
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: Radio control

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Having had a 4x4 slash many years ago, it was a mid range one not and ultimate version.
I definitely like this truck more, slash was super fun, mine had an LCG chassis aswell and i recommend fitting one if you get one.
Ultimate version comes with LCG i think.

But this thing just turns it up a notch from the slash IMO. An ultimate slash probably goes pretty well but im unsure the differences between a normal slash and ultimate version.
This was my old one

I think this Baja Rey is much more durable also. I havnt tried a 2s lipo yet but seen plenty of reviews with 2s and they saying its plenty fast. I got 3s only because i want to go full send It also has the option of 50/75/100% throttle to so can turn it down easily if needed.

I also did see on some sites it didnt come with the full spektrum set up ( i could be wrong), ie ESC and motor. I wasnt worried but mine has
Even with mismatched tyres, get the rey out. There'll be a bit of re educating. Tyres transform pretty much everything. Grip is good but dont go too hard too soon in regards of side bite.
The main reason im considering a traxxas slash isnt because i hold traxxas in high regards. But parts are cheap and available. Nothing wrong with my maxx, its got all the available telemetry mods fitted, drive train and suspension mods, 6s esc, varios sets of tyres. Its a different kind of fun to what i was used to. So i wont go too far into it but backfliping off the wall off my house left tyre marks on the eave.
Im more thinking something but better then the 2wd rustler i had. I bought that thing in 2008 because i had to spend more time at home because my mrs was pregnant. That thing handled ok. The stock brushed motor and esc, yeah, i binned on day 2 for a primitive 3s brushless setup.
But if i can find a slash cheap enough, the 3s esc will instantly be replaced with the 4s one i have. I'll probably pair it to my current controller because its got the bluetooth doodle, then go through the motions again of breaking axles and such to regain the title of breakzilla.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-12-2021, 06:06 PM   #92
Kicking back

Well, i found a good deal on a slash within my budget, so the 4x4 brushless one.
Plan is, the 3s esc is instantly gone. I have a perfectly good 4s unit to replace that. Also, gearing, i have a selection of pinions. Tyres probably, but other mods, i shall have to run it before i decide.
Old 30-12-2021, 03:05 PM   #93
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

So the battery i have is an 11.1V 3S LiPo.
The battery compartment seems to be confined also. Its not a hard case and was assured that it wont expand when it gets hot (it definitely has) so once run its almost impossible to get it from the compartment. Its pretty well ventilated as well.
It has a spacer in there which ive now removed but the battery will move around (probably has 5-6mm play either side and about 10mm above.
So im not sure which way i'll go as i dont want to spend a fortune on it as im sort of deciding if i want to buy another car also (perhaps the Losi super baja rey, or a rovan 5iveT)
But i still want to enjoy this one now, so i may bite the bullet and buy a cpl of the recommended Spektrum LiPos. (car is full spektrum kit out) and if i buy 2 3s batteries they go in the super rey too (it takes 8s LiPo)
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2021, 03:18 PM   #94
Kicking back

Quote:
So the battery i have is an 11.1V 3S LiPo.
The battery compartment seems to be confined also. Its not a hard case and was assured that it wont expand when it gets hot (it definitely has) so once run its almost impossible to get it from the compartment. Its pretty well ventilated as well.
It has a spacer in there which ive now removed but the battery will move around (probably has 5-6mm play either side and about 10mm above.
So im not sure which way i'll go as i dont want to spend a fortune on it as im sort of deciding if i want to buy another car also (perhaps the Losi super baja rey, or a rovan 5iveT)
But i still want to enjoy this one now, so i may bite the bullet and buy a cpl of the recommended Spektrum LiPos. (car is full spektrum kit out) and if i buy 2 3s batteries they go in the super rey too (it takes 8s LiPo)
Hot or expanded? Lipos can get hot, but when they expand that can get really bad really fast.
Anyhow, did aftermarket tyres change it up?
Old 30-12-2021, 03:27 PM   #95
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Hot or expanded? Lipos can get hot, but when they expand that can get really bad really fast.
Anyhow, did aftermarket tyres change it up?
It did both, got hot and expanded. Would it have anything to do with the charge process?
Its an NXE-Power super-nano 5000mAh 3s 40c.
Even after charging it and not using it still slightly expanded (not as bad as after a run though)
I do normal charge, charging at 5 Amps. Its had about 6 charge cycles since ive had it.
From what ive read, this car has a pretty decent current draw, not sure if that would exacerbate the issue.
Driving it on a mix of 75/100% throttle also

Happy for some tips or if im doing something wrong.

Tyres made it totally different, but if i load it up with AVC off it'll balloon the fronts as little but they are much better as theres more tyre on the surface. The standard ones would balloon the rears also.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 30-12-2021, 03:48 PM   #96
Kicking back

Quote:
It did both, got hot and expanded. Would it have anything to do with the charge process?
Its an NXE-Power super-nano 5000mAh 3s 40c.
Even after charging it and not using it still slightly expanded (not as bad as after a run though)
I do normal charge, charging at 5 Amps. Its had about 6 charge cycles since ive had it.
From what ive read, this car has a pretty decent current draw, not sure if that would exacerbate the issue.
Driving it on a mix of 75/100% throttle also

Happy for some tips or if im doing something wrong.

Tyres made it totally different, but if i load it up with AVC off it'll balloon the fronts as little but they are much better as theres more tyre on the surface. The standard ones would balloon the rears also.
Basic question, not being rude. But 5a for a 5000mah is what id do, but you have your charger set to ballance charging yeah?
Dont take my word for it, look up the Google's or something, but if a lipo bulges you probably shouldnt use it.
Old 30-12-2021, 03:55 PM   #97
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Basic question, not being rude. But 5a for a 5000mah is what id do, but you have your charger set to ballance charging yeah?
Dont take my word for it, look up the Google's or something, but if a lipo bulges you probably shouldnt use it.
I really havnt looked into the balance bit, perhaps i should. I know what it does, i just didnt do it, rookie error. I reckon after the next run (probably tommorrow) ill do that
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 30-12-2021, 05:03 PM   #98
Kicking back

I've always done what I've been told with lipos. So ballance charge at a 1:1 rate. Never had an issue with heat or bulging. Im kind of terrified at how quick they go up in youtube videos of lipo fires.
Old 30-12-2021, 05:14 PM   #99
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
I've always done what I've been told with lipos. So ballance charge at a 1:1 rate. Never had an issue with heat or bulging. Im kind of terrified at how quick they go up in youtube videos of lipo fires.
Yeah i do agree, seen a few videos on how they react to improper charging.

Ive just started a balance charge on it as we speak.

I should have just bought a 2 stroke petrol SCT
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 30-12-2021, 09:31 PM   #100
creative
I am Batman

ahh Lipos... the bomb in your hand!

Always balance charge, Safe way is charging at 1c ( I do all mine at 2c), do not drop the cells below 3.3v or 9.9v total for a 3s if possible when being used and always store at 3.8v per cell and try not to leave them fully charged for extended periods. I use to storage charge after 3 days if I didnt use them.

High draw in use can kill them and cause them to puff.

Slight puff you can get away with but you will see reduced performance and high IR cells.

Lipos are no joke and whilst they are a consumable, should be treated as being very volatile.
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2021, 09:34 PM   #101
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
ahh Lipos... the bomb in your hand!

Always balance charge, Safe way is charging at 1c ( I do all mine at 2c), do not drop the cells below 3.3v or 9.9v total for a 3s if possible when being used and always store at 3.8v per cell.

High draw in use can kill them and cause them to puff.

Slight puff you can get away with but you will see reduced performance and high IR cells.

Lipos are no joke and whilst they are a consumable, should be treated as being very volatile.
Oh i totally agree with everything there for sure. Hence my comment re 2 stroke big scale
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 31-12-2021, 04:25 PM   #102
Kicking back

Havent received the slash i ordered yet, but i did receive the tyres for it.
So i got the louise turbo tyres for the slash. So a very mild tread pattern. I have my reasons.
So my maxx i have louse uphills which are great, but i run louise rocket street tyres. Reason being the maxx is stupid overpowered and over geared so the grippy uphills make it too much to have fun with. Street tyres arent as touchy so yeah they spin, but its more fun not having to be as sensitive on the throttle.
So i dunno 100% if the stock 4s esc from my maxx will fit the new slash when it comes in, if it does, the slash should be fast. It wont be as fast as my maxx, but i built the maxx purely because i could. And yeah, my goal was 100kmh in that and it does 131. The slash, my hope is it handles well out the box and I'll be satisfied with 100. I think the slash's are pretty fast anyway as they arent a heavy lumbering oaf like a monster truck.
Old 31-12-2021, 04:46 PM   #103
Kicking back

Quote:
Oh i totally agree with everything there for sure. Hence my comment re 2 stroke big scale
A good mate of mine has a 1/5 2 stroke 2wd buggy.
Its an older hpi baja 5b. So stock it was 26cc, the current ones are 23cc high output. His he bought 2nd hand and modified. So it has a bigger piston and cylinder making it 30.5cc and an aftermarket exhaust. It takes a 50:1 mix.
The thing is big. It goes alright, but due to the chainsaw style drum centrifugal clutch its a bit doughy off the line.
Old 31-12-2021, 06:56 PM   #104
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
A good mate of mine has a 1/5 2 stroke 2wd buggy.
Its an older hpi baja 5b. So stock it was 26cc, the current ones are 23cc high output. His he bought 2nd hand and modified. So it has a bigger piston and cylinder making it 30.5cc and an aftermarket exhaust. It takes a 50:1 mix.
The thing is big. It goes alright, but due to the chainsaw style drum centrifugal clutch its a bit doughy off the line.
Yeah i wouldnt mind one, they big brash and loud which is why id like one.
I reckon ill get one 4WD though.

I didnt want to pay the Losi mark ups.
Went and got some rubber and cable ties and made up my own mud flaps.

Dont mind the mess in my shed
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 02-01-2022, 12:44 AM   #105
Kicking back

Im keen to get the 4x4 slash. It should be in on monday. I say it now, but that will probably change, but I'm not going to go nuts on it. Subtle mods, i already have rims and tyres for it, but nothing like the maxx. That thing is over everything. Overbuilt, stupid fast.
The slash, the plan is fast enough but still be fun, and do corners. So mid 90s to maybe 100. Its going to be different to a monster truck. But, it shouldnt be a bad thing.
Old 04-01-2022, 02:28 PM   #106
Kicking back

So my son contacted me yesterday saying he wanted to build a 1/10 drift car. So get a kit and put it together himself. Im all for that, my kid gets a great sense of achievement when he builds something himself.
So i said find the kit you want and ill give the ok if it looks good. So he did his reasearch and the kit looked good. However i didnt ok it, he had to do further reasearch on if replacement parts are available.
So the boy is 12, anyhow i agreed to transfer him some money if he gave a cost breakdown. He goes 1000. I laughed and said thats the 2jz 1000. He gets that joke. Any person you meet with a supra or is300 and says theyre going to modify it, when you ask how much power will it make they instantly say 1000.
So no, i didnt give him that amount.
Today he is super excited. He went down to the hobby shoppe today, didnt get the initial kit he was after but a better one in my view. I wasnt with him, but unless its really silly, i let him make his own decisions.
So the kit he was initially after was 2wd. I suggested 4wd.
He says he was like a kid in a candy store.
So he got himself a team magic 4wd drift car. I did the sneaky and looked up the shop he got it from, and they sell spares for it, so thats good.
Its a belt drive so he tells me if he wants to go rwd its as simple as removing the front belt.
He is a bit bummed because he had to make a slight compromise. It has an rx7 shell but he wants a 2018 mustang shell. He hasnt blown his budget so he can always get a mustang shell.
But hes happy because he didnt have anyone make the decisions for him, he was in charge of the budget (sort of, i gave him the money and he had to work within that) and he got what he decided was the best for his intended use.
3 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2022, 07:04 PM   #107
Kicking back

So i received the traxxas slash this arvo. My suspicions were correct, the 4s esc i have is physically too large to fit. My 4s batteries are also to large for the battery tray. Not the end of the world, 3s batteries are cheap so i ordered a couple.
So yeah, havent given the thing a test rip yet.
I have put on aftermarket tyres and longer gearing.
For what i paid i reckon they could have atleast done threaded ally shocks. But the dual rate springs i reckon should be alright.

Thats it. No plans to go ham on it like my other rc car.
Old 04-01-2022, 07:10 PM   #108
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Not much to report.
Got a matching set of tyres today, reset rear shock mounts to a lower position also. Will se how it goes.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 05-01-2022, 05:01 PM   #109
Kicking back

Quote:
Not much to report.
Got a matching set of tyres today, reset rear shock mounts to a lower position also. Will se how it goes.
Interested to hear your opinion towards aftermarket tyres. I reckon theyre the best mod, but thats just me.
My kid was onto me today. His drift car build has begun. He is very enthusiastic about it. So the main thing was he wants doesnt want new batteries, so wants an adapter. Getting him to send a non blurry pic was like extracting blood out of a stone.
So i ordered him the correct adapter.
Anyrate, he sent me a pic of his incomplete build. He is still within his budget, but has aftermarket wheels and tyres on it.

So he still has to space the body up so it doesnt scrub on lock. I asked if he will put the big wing on, he wants to be part of the big wang gang.
He is happy with his purchace. I asked if he was still going to get a mustang body for it? He has changed his tune, he likes the rx7 body more now.
Old 05-01-2022, 07:07 PM   #110
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quick bash in the rain today.

As for tyres, im not big into it yet.
But i changed tyres purely to stop the ballooning of the standard ones.
If they didnt id have kept em, but the new ones provide a lot more grip imo.
What they'll wear like i dunno.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 07-01-2022, 04:10 PM   #111
Kicking back

Got the 3s batteries for my slash today. So maiden run lasted maybe 60 seconds. The slipper clutch was too loose and screaming like a banshee. So traction aid, yes but mega slow. So tightened that up and round 2. So it has aftermarket tyres on it and a pinion gear. So it will wheelie off the line but not on comand like my other car thats modified. But it handles as good if not better then i hoped. So at worst at speed cornering hard it will lift a wheel not roll over.
Its deffinately snappy off the line, but not stupid like the 6s powered maxx i have that if not careful will flip onto its lid off the line. Deffinately not as fast in the top end. But all the over the top things i did to the monster truck kind of made running it a chore and took the fun out of it. The short course truck, so far its fun because its nimble and not that fast.
Old 07-01-2022, 04:17 PM   #112
Kicking back

Quote:
Quick bash in the rain today.

As for tyres, im not big into it yet.
But i changed tyres purely to stop the ballooning of the standard ones.
If they didnt id have kept em, but the new ones provide a lot more grip imo.
What they'll wear like i dunno.
When it comes to the ratio of grip towards tyre wear, it kind of is the same towards real cars. If you get a mad set of tyres for your road car, speak volumes of how good they make the thing handle then complain about only getting 10,000km out of them. Same thing with rc car tyres. Rc stuff you probably wont use as often as a real car and things are cheaper.
Old 09-01-2022, 01:26 PM   #113
Kicking back

So i was asking my kid if he wanted me to get him lipo batteries for his rc cars. He said no. He has watched too many youtubes of people with mega $ 200+kmh rc cars smash and compromise batteries and burst into flames. Kinda silly as his gear, as is mine, is not that extreme.
So i asked would he like a better charger? He said what one. So his existing charger for his 7 cell 8.4v nimhs isnt a fast charger, its not a slow charger, its an eventually charger. So i ordered him the same does everything charger i have (well the 2nd one, the 1st crapped out after 13 years so i reckon theyre good) an imax 6bac. So considering its a 6A max output, will do nicads, nihms, up to 6s lipo and lead acids, for under $40 i reckon they're a good thing. Before my original one died, and probably part of the reason it did, it had on multiple occasions been left overnight charging 730cca deep cycle marine batteries.
Old 09-01-2022, 04:37 PM   #114
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
So i was asking my kid if he wanted me to get him lipo batteries for his rc cars. He said no. He has watched too many youtubes of people with mega $ 200+kmh rc cars smash and compromise batteries and burst into flames. Kinda silly as his gear, as is mine, is not that extreme.
So i asked would he like a better charger? He said what one. So his existing charger for his 7 cell 8.4v nimhs isnt a fast charger, its not a slow charger, its an eventually charger. So i ordered him the same does everything charger i have (well the 2nd one, the 1st crapped out after 13 years so i reckon theyre good) an imax 6bac. So considering its a 6A max output, will do nicads, nihms, up to 6s lipo and lead acids, for under $40 i reckon they're a good thing. Before my original one died, and probably part of the reason it did, it had on multiple occasions been left overnight charging 730cca deep cycle marine batteries.
They are ok.. good enough for single batteries. I started with one for my quads but outgrew it very quickly. Moved onto an ISDT charger, with a cheap server power supply.
My imax was relegated to 18650 and 2s lipo duties.

also it wont charge at 6a... its one of the limits of the 50w input. ( depending on battery size iirc, I would have to look the math up as I cant remember it off top of my head)

edit: assuminga 3s battery 50w/14.4 = 3.47a... iirc
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Last edited by creative; 09-01-2022 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-01-2022, 05:37 PM   #115
creative
I am Batman

Quote:

edit: assuminga 3s battery 50w/14.4 = 3.47a... iirc
doh.. 3s is 12.6v so 50/12.6 = 3.96a

Old 09-01-2022, 05:55 PM   #116
Kicking back

So 1s is rated at 3.7v. However fully charged is 4.2v. So its simple maths. So 2s is rated at 7.4v but fully charged is 8.4v. 3s is 11.1v but 12.6v full charge.
I run 6s on one car.
Old 09-01-2022, 09:45 PM   #117
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
So 1s is rated at 3.7v. However fully charged is 4.2v. So its simple maths. So 2s is rated at 7.4v but fully charged is 8.4v. 3s is 11.1v but 12.6v full charge.
I run 6s on one car.
its also dependant on mah. dont get me wrong, it will charge the batteries but they will take much longer.

I do parallel charging, usually 6 x 1300mah 6s batterries at 2c at a time, or 6x 1300mah 4s bricks depending on which quad I fly, so needed something better.

Old 09-01-2022, 09:56 PM   #118
Kicking back

Im a bit of a wimp when it comes to charging lipos. So 1:1 regardless of 3s, 4s or 6s. Nihms, i used to pump them as hard and fast as possible. But nihms were a long time ago for me, and i keep the boundaries close for lipos.
Old 09-01-2022, 10:05 PM   #119
creative
I am Batman

general rule of thumb is 1c charge would take about an hour.

As i only get 2-3min tops flight time per battery, I wasnt spending 6 hours charging or longer as Iwould take 10-15 batteries with me to the field, 6 in half hour or so was good enough for me!

Old 09-01-2022, 11:02 PM   #120
Kicking back

Quote:
general rule of thumb is 1c charge would take about an hour.

As i only get 2-3min tops flight time per battery, I wasnt spending 6 hours charging or longer as Iwould take 10-15 batteries with me to the field, 6 in half hour or so was good enough for me!
Yeah dude. Im a paranoid android when it comes to charging lipo batteries. I will only balance charge. So my 2 3s 4500mah only get done at 4 5A. My 2 4s 6500mah get done at 6.5A. And my 2 6s 4500mah batteries also get done at 4.5A.
So yeah, charge time is around an hour. But, they get a lot longer run time in an rc car then an aircraft.
On 4s i get between 30 or 40 minutes depending for my monster truck. Running it on 6s, its hard to tell. Mainly because its a tad bit too easy to crash.
My short course truck. I dont doubt the batteries, but considering its stock with a pinion and tyres on it, on 3s the thing is awesome but for reasons unbeknown to myself, it overheats and says no.