Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-10-2006, 10:51 PM   #1
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Coles/Woolies petrol war hots up.

I see in the paper today that Woolworths are now giving 6cpl discount if you spend more than $50....

Let battle commence!

Old 01-10-2006, 10:52 PM   #2
rushing on acid

coles are doing the same, i saw it today at a shell servo, but dunno what the minimum spend is and you have to have another docket

Last edited by rushing on acid; 01-10-2006 at 10:52 PM. Reason: extra info
rushing on acid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2006, 10:56 PM   #3
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Unfortunately it's all designed to get you shopping their with the thoughts of saving money on your weekly fuel spend, keep a close eye on the prices and compare them with the likes of the independants and you may find that you are actually spending more.

Also a lot of the independant servos are now offering fuel discounts with any voucher regardless of which grocery store your docket is from, so this all goes to help the little guys and yourself in the long term.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2006, 10:57 PM   #4
ZEDAYE
20 INCH 100 SPOKES

Just watch the grocery prices rise to pay for the fuel discounts!! You don't think they will drop profits to attract new customers?
ZEDAYE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2006, 11:00 PM   #5
Steffo
LPG > You

It doesn't really benefit those who do their own shopping. You spend the money you'd spend on fuel elsewhere. Myself on the other hand, I don't do or pay for the shopping, but I own a car and get given the vouchers, so the $1 they save on my $50 weekly fuel bills is my money saved... and put straight into a tollbooth on one of Sydney's many toll-roads, some of which are ridiculously expensive ($4.50 M1 Eastern Distributor anyone?)
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2006, 11:00 PM   #6
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Meh, get 2c a litre off for my LPG @ BP, and I dont have to spend a red cent on shopping.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2006, 11:11 PM   #7
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
Meh, get 2c a litre off for my LPG @ BP, and I dont have to spend a red cent on shopping.
We only have one BP here that gives the discount and they're 4c dearer than most other places in town !
Old 01-10-2006, 11:36 PM   #8
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A good example of how messed up things are, for one minute does anyone think that these companies give away this money, or is it built in, the only loosers are those that can't be bothered with running with the pack of sheep with thier little vouchers, and the discount is built into the pricing so in theory those who cant be bothered with the hype pay for those who use the discount vouchers.

if no one used them we would all have more money to spend on things we wanted rather than subsidise the shopper docket discount people.

just my 2c
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2006, 12:26 AM   #9
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Yes a survey done showed every supermarket that had one of there own service stations close to there store, had higher grocery prices.
All there doing is squeezing the independants out of the market the same as they done to the butcher and fruit grocer.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2006, 01:01 AM   #10
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fool's paradise. See: http://www.seven.com.au/todaytonight/story/?id=29347

You pay for the "discount" with higher prices at the supermarket. If you want cheaper petrol, shop at Franklins or Aldi and buy petrol from an independent servo in an area where there's lots of competition.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:16 AM   #11
TUF514
Banned

ZEDAYE hit the nail on the head.

just on tolls, wouldnt you think that over time as the bridge/tunnel has been paid off, the tolls should come down? haha yeah right. they just keep going up.

roads certainly arent benefiting.
TUF514 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2006, 01:18 AM   #12
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Just means both will force the price of fuel up to compensate this extra discount, thus to keep company profits going. This whole cole, woolworths thing has done nothing to make petrol cheaper!
Old 02-10-2006, 06:32 AM   #13
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
just my 2c

Should'nt that be 4c :
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2006, 07:26 AM   #14
GTP-814
love the quad cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
It doesn't really benefit those who do their own shopping. You spend the money you'd spend on fuel elsewhere. Myself on the other hand, I don't do or pay for the shopping, but I own a car and get given the vouchers, so the $1 they save on my $50 weekly fuel bills is my money saved... and put straight into a tollbooth on one of Sydney's many toll-roads, some of which are ridiculously expensive ($4.50 M1 Eastern Distributor anyone?)
Try $4.40 for the carpark they cal the M2, increase occuring as of 1/10
GTP-814 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2006, 07:41 AM   #15
LTDHO
The one and only

Any discount is a good discount. Unless you know different, you get nothing for nothing. Money saved at the pump is spent at the store.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2006, 07:47 AM   #16
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Actually Mrs c works for coles now and thats not how its working. You spend $30 in a coles or bilo store and then you have to spend $2 at the actually particpating service station to get the 6c off. Its actually written on the catologues.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2006, 10:06 AM   #17
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
A good example of how messed up things are, for one minute does anyone think that these companies give away this money, or is it built in,
One way they make more on products is to screw the primary supplier, If the big two cant buy what they want at the price they want they dont stock the product. :
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Yes a survey done showed every supermarket that had one of there own service stations close to there store, had higher grocery prices.
The Economist who did the survey (Rhonda Smith) should have tried some country areas where there are very few servos close to the main supermarkets.

Another ruthless way the big two operate (in country areas) their service stations. Where there is a roadhouse attached to the servo (that they've bought from Shell/Caltex) the roadhouse gets closed, they then lease the roadhouse to an outside source as there is more profit in using one console operator on fuel than numerous people serving food - which usually tastes like the furniture anyway!
Old 02-10-2006, 10:29 AM   #18
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Actually Mrs c works for coles now and thats not how its working. You spend $30 in a coles or bilo store and then you have to spend $2 at the actually particpating service station to get the 6c off. Its actually written on the catologues.
Does the $20 include fuel or do you have to buy a Mars bar too?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2006, 10:34 AM   #19
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As well as Rhonda Smith's work, Australian Consumer Association (Choice magazine) supermarket surveys over the years have consistently shown Coles and Woolworths are the most expensive supermarkets. (I believe IGA also even more so but not included I think because they are 'independent' rather than a single ownership) The problem is that Coles and Woolworths have been aggressively buying up both supermarkets and servos and creating a 'duopoly' or even monopoly in some areas. Country and outer suburban people would be particularly badly hit by this due to the resultant lack of competition.

Unfortunately consumers have played a role in this by their lemming-like belief in the fuel 'discount' vouchers. By flocking to it they've encouraged the decline in competitive independent servos and thus contributed indirectly to higher fuel prices - and pay more for their supermarket shopping as well. But Coles and Woolworths shareholders and directors are very happy about the state of their own wallets of course.

(LTDHO the Mars bar will be about 80c more in the Coles Express servo than it is in Franklins so that will already be 80c off your fantastic fuel 'saving' of $2 or so - or in fact $2.20 off at the full price of the Mars bar!)
Old 02-10-2006, 10:39 AM   #20
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

All this stuffing around to save $2 off a full tank. IMO, it's not worth it.... I spend about $130 on shopping at woolies per week, and get the vouchers, and fuel up each week at Caltex and I CBF using them anyway. A 1c rise in fuel is 72c more for a full tank. I couldn't care less....

As mentioned above, your gonna pay for it somehow...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2006, 11:17 AM   #21
nicko_bud

The coles 2c litre discount starts on the 4th october at 12:01am... buy fuel and spend $2 or more in the store to recieve 6c litre off.. You must have a 4c voucher from bilo or coles or liquorland though to recieve the 2c discount..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Any discount is a good discount. Unless you know different, you get nothing for nothing. Money saved at the pump is spent at the store.
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
....(LTDHO the Mars bar will be about 80c more in the Coles Express servo than it is in Franklins so that will already be 80c off your fantastic fuel 'saving' of $2 or so - or in fact $2.20 off at the full price of the Mars bar!)
Serious new2ford..... ok so your telling me that you plan ahead that much u have a confectionary stockpile in ur glovebox??? Look if you hungry ur hungry? I know myself when i fill up for fuel i usually get a F.U ice coffee or something so y not save that little bit.. eg..

nicko_bud's EA 's' pac... 60L at $1.209 = $72.54
4c Discount= $2.40
2c Discount= $1.20
--------------------
Total Fuel cost=$68.94
600ml Ice Coffee= $2.80
------------------------
TOTAL BILL=$71.74

So i got the ice coffee for 'nothing' ... just for doing my shopping at coles... and i "saved" 80c on what i was gonna pay for the fuel anyway...

At the end of the day its your decision what you do... but remember prices are going to go up no matter what. If blaming it on fuel or something else helps you sleep at night then go for it .. blame fuel..

Last edited by nicko_bud; 02-10-2006 at 11:28 AM.
nicko_bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2006, 11:34 AM   #22
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

These "bonus" discounts are only for a couple of weeks.
The Woolies one either runs until 15/10, or the end of the month, I read the paperwork on it at work, but I don't remember.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2006, 11:39 AM   #23
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Does the $20 include fuel or do you have to buy a Mars bar too?
Gotta buy that Marsbar!

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2006, 12:10 PM   #24
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicko_bud
Serious new2ford..... ok so your telling me that you plan ahead that much u have a confectionary stockpile in ur glovebox??? Look if you hungry ur hungry? I know myself when i fill up for fuel i usually get a F.U ice coffee or something so y not save that little bit.. eg..

nicko_bud's EA 's' pac... 60L at $1.209 = $72.54
4c Discount= $2.40
2c Discount= $1.20
--------------------
Total Fuel cost=$68.94
600ml Ice Coffee= $2.80
------------------------
TOTAL BILL=$71.74

So i got the ice coffee for 'nothing' ... just for doing my shopping at coles... and i "saved" 80c on what i was gonna pay for the fuel anyway...
Well yes, on the spur of the moment a man's gotta eat what a man's gotta eat! But does that 80c outweigh the $20 extra you might have spent doing your weekly shopping at Coles? (I've worked out up to $50 extra for our large family.)

It could be argued the coffee cost you $19.20!
Old 02-10-2006, 12:35 PM   #25
xr8svo
Sykmat

If you sit down and work it out you can save money. The worst things at coles and woolies are fruit and veg and meat so we buy them at small independant butchers and a fruit and veg market and get huge savings and quality of product is great. Generally we buy savings brands and stuff like that most of the time it is fine not that different to the expensive stuff and if it is bad then we buy the expensive brand but not much. Missus also has a coles myer card so we get additional 4c on top of every 4c when we spend $30. We also pay the cards off every month that way there is no interest paid there either. Shell servos that i go to here in bris are as cheap if not cheaper than alot of the independants, so if i can save 8c a litre on optimax as i have to run in my car which saves me over $4 a fill just buy shopping at coles and spending over $30 and when coles is also only 2 min from my front door on the way home then i am going to. You can do it right and make it work for you but you have to sit down and work out where the savings are and use them.
xr8svo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2006, 01:07 PM   #26
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTR
Also a lot of the independant servos are now offering fuel discounts with any voucher regardless of which grocery store your docket is from, so this all goes to help the little guys and yourself in the long term.
I know at IGA in Bowen, take your fuel docket into them, and they give you the discount off your shopping bill. Top Idea if you ask me.

Cheers
Old 02-10-2006, 03:09 PM   #27
cupic
Nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
hiya Smoked about that 2c on BP Gas Ive sent it on a email and still nothing how long does ot take before you receive the discount card

cheers
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2006, 04:20 PM   #28
bob^
LPS

Might aswell use the vouchers though if you have always shopped at Coles, and always buy your fuel from Shell anyway??
I know that is the case with us.
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2006, 04:46 PM   #29
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You'd most likely find fuel wise it's cheaper to fuel up at an independant. Last fuel up for my EL and Mazda were $1.10pl. Which was nice as I spent what I saved on 98ron @ BP for the XB. I only allow $150 per fortnight for fuel. Due to price drops from $1.39 -> $1.10 my mazda costs $50.60 down from $63.95. I fill the mazda twice a fortnight and put what ever I have left from the fuel money into the EL. Whether that be $20 or $40. At current fuel prices I'm saving $26.70. Better in my pocket than anyone elses.

I rarely use a shopper dockets although I have used one in the last 3mths but only 1. It just happened I had a docket and I managed to get a tank of fuel @ $1.06.5pl. I generally find the shopper docket servo's are 4c to 10c dearer than independants anyway.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2006, 04:53 PM   #30
ZEDAYE
20 INCH 100 SPOKES

So what happens when you can't buy grocery's/alchohol/fuel alchohol,alchohol,alchohol from anywhere else than large multinational corporations?
ZEDAYE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post