Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Dumb woman reversed into dads car (saying shared fault)

Hey guys.

Today in the carpark dad was reversing out of his park at the shops and without looking this moron starts reversing out towards dads car.
So dad stops the car and honks his horn, she doesn't hear and keeps reversing oblivious to everything she finally hits his car.

Now she admitted fault but our insurance company are saying that her insurance company will only accept shared fault, due to some stupid public liability law, they're saying it's a gray area.

Fact is this isn't a gray area, she's quite clearly at fault, it's not like they reversed into each other.

Anyone have any idea what we should do?

Cheers.

Old 22-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
glavas

what kinda car is it? if its nothing good dont worry to much. if its half decent id get very mad and want to do ilegal things to the said person. dont let her think she can boss you around okay. im guessing you know who she is now.so im NOT gunna say follow her(which is wrong) but bump into her alot. and demand the money. buy a new house that just happens to be in the same street as her. get a job that happens to be were she works. obtain a fire arm(by legal means).invite her out deep sea fishing just you her and your old man. And pray that the weather dosent turn to bad and the boat sinks and the strong currents only allow the strong to survive dont do nothing stupid tho.....
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Tell your insurance company to do their bloody job and make sure your Dad is fully compensated.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Unless there are witnesses, its gonna be shared fault... a few threads on it, and happend to my Bro-in-law too...

To them, without witnesses, it's just hearsay for whos at fault...

Really sux that you have to pay for someone elses stupidity.... but its just the way it is

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
falcontonner

if he was stationary when it happened then its the womans fault as whoever is reversing its their fault. go down the cop shop and they will tell you that. even make a statement and give that to your insurance company. i think your suppose to have one anyway if its more than 2 grand damage i think...
falcontonner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate, insurance comapny's have an agreement called "knock for knock", basically, we'll pay ours you pay yours.
Doesn't help your Dad as far as an excess goes but if the woman has admitted fault she might spring for the excess.
Old 22-11-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

If it's at all possible get the lady to admit fault to her insurer and yours.

The reason they are pushing for the current scenario is BLATANT PROFITEERING. The reason it's a grey area, is because they bully people into accepting this substandard (not for them) outcome.

The blatant profiteering arises from when they make you both accept / take blame is BOTH insurance companies get to take the excess AND the following years increases if the no claim bonus isn't protected. So, a $4000 carpark incident results in $1200 in excesses, and 30% increases to both premiums in the first year, tapering down by 10% each year after. So, effectively a 60% hit to both. On a standard $800 premium, thats nearly $500 each. The net result is $2200 into their coffers instead of half that.

Hope it goes okay. Best of luck.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

look for video footage, atm, in store cameras etc....

get the film there has to be some somewhere
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2010, 10:44 PM   #9
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Each insurer will do the best they possibly can to represent thier client. In most cases like this it will end up as an "each bear own situation". Your dad says he was stationary. A lot will depend on what the other person says to thier insurer. If she says she was stationary and your dad hit her or that both reversed into eachother. Unless there is an independent witness neither side can prove thier case, hence it ends up being either 50/50 or each bear own. I know it sucks but how are you going to prove it?

Between the accident and lodging a claim she has probably talked to her friends or just thought she does not want to be at fault or pay an excess, so by the time she lodges a claim the story changes. Once again, how can either prove the other is lying?
Old 22-11-2010, 10:51 PM   #10
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc

The reason they are pushing for the current scenario is BLATANT PROFITEERING. The reason it's a grey area, is because they bully people into accepting this substandard (not for them) outcome.

The blatant profiteering arises from when they make you both accept / take blame is BOTH insurance companies get to take the excess AND the following years increases if the no claim bonus isn't protected. So, a $4000 carpark incident results in $1200 in excesses, and 30% increases to both premiums in the first year, tapering down by 10% each year after. So, effectively a 60% hit to both. On a standard $800 premium, thats nearly $500 each. The net result is $2200 into their coffers instead of half that.

Insurers DO NOT MAKE ANY PROFIT from a claim. It is not legal to do so.
Insurers make money from selling a product. As for pocketing an excess, it goes toward a repair either yours or the other persons. Many a time when a claim has cost less than the excess I have refunded the client the difference because we CANNOT make a profit from a claim by law.
Old 22-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #11
cjf
GT Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc

As said this suits the insurance company as it is a way to recoup some of the money,collusion amongst insurance companies is rife just like the banks.
BPR CAI , PACEMAKERS 4-1, BALLISTIC 100cell RACING CATS, CROW CAMS GTP,
K LINE , XFORCE ,PSI VALVE SPRINGS, MANLEY H BEAMS, SRP PISTONS & RINGS, ACL RACE BEARINGS MELLINGS BILLET OIL PUMP, POWERBOND UNDERDRIVES, TT1-160 THERMOSTAT.
cjf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2010, 10:57 PM   #12
Mad Maxine

This almost happened to me a week ago! I realised the stupid bint driving wasn't aware of me being three quarters out of my parking slot, so I had to flip it back into gear and basically, get back into my car space, or she would have hit me. Sorry I can't advise you, but it's a common situation, I guess.

1977 XC GS Coupe
Mad Maxine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2010, 11:50 PM   #13
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
Insurers DO NOT MAKE ANY PROFIT from a claim. It is not legal to do so.
Insurers make money from selling a product. As for pocketing an excess, it goes toward a repair either yours or the other persons. Many a time when a claim has cost less than the excess I have refunded the client the difference because we CANNOT make a profit from a claim by law.
Banks do not charge unwarranted fees, it is not legal to do so.....

Telstra does not overcharge its customers, it is lot legal to do so....

State Governments do not place speed cameras in places for pure revenue, it is not legal to do so.....

Yep I believe......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2010, 11:51 PM   #14
satria
FOXWHO

some idiot backed into my xw in what sounds like the exact same way. I was blocked with nowhere to go and the guy in the space i was opposite to started reversing without looking. I was on my horn but he obviously didn't hear and took out my passenger side.

I didn't get any of the fault though which is the way it should be! Tell your dad's insurer to do their job better.
satria is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 12:19 AM   #15
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

State Governments do not place speed cameras in places for pure revenue, it is not legal to do so.....

Yep I believe......
And how is any of this relevant to this thread?
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 12:33 AM   #16
SILENT_RAPTOR

And your post helps how?
SILENT_RAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 12:42 AM   #17
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

makes you want to punch her & then when she charges you with assult claim "shared fault" lol.

just joking dont really do that though

Back to the real world though. If you need a witness to her being at fault. Wont her admittance to being in the wrong be enough as she did witness it (or maybe she didnt otherwise it wouldnt have happened)???
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 01:04 AM   #18
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
Each insurer will do the best they possibly can to represent thier client. In most cases like this it will end up as an "each bear own situation". Your dad says he was stationary. A lot will depend on what the other person says to thier insurer. If she says she was stationary and your dad hit her or that both reversed into eachother. Unless there is an independent witness neither side can prove thier case, hence it ends up being either 50/50 or each bear own. I know it sucks but how are you going to prove it?

Between the accident and lodging a claim she has probably talked to her friends or just thought she does not want to be at fault or pay an excess, so by the time she lodges a claim the story changes. Once again, how can either prove the other is lying?
This man speaks the truth.

Exact same situation occurred for me. Lady backed into my old XF ute. I was half way out of the space when I saw the white lights go on and the lady begin back out, without evan looking behine her

Anywho, I stopped, and began to put the car into forward gear, in an attempt to aviod a collision. But it was too late, she backed into the towball of the ute.

Anywho, after exchanging details, I gave a quick call to the insurance company. In their eyes, as I couldn't conclusively prove that I had stopped to avoid the cdollision (ie not witnesses or security cameras footage), and she had hit me, we would both be found at fault, and hence we were redsponsible for our own cars damage. Which for me was nothing, as my good old towball took the hit
saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 01:53 AM   #19
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The simple fact is, that without independant witnesses, its always going to be one word against the other. 1) oh she backed into me 2) oh he drove forward into me..

I doubt very much that after advice from her insurance company, she is going to go on the record and admit fault, and I doubt the police are going to give it any time (if police spent time on all minor car park bumps, everyone else would be out robbing banks).

Sometimes you just have to accept, its not really fair, but I guess thats why we take out insurance to try and level the bumps out.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 01:59 AM   #20
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry guys I haven't had the chance to read every comment yet.

She isn't denying fault as far as we know, she admitted fault at the time.
And she said she was sorry, she wasn't looking, thought the horn was further away.

When dad called the insurance company they were saying HER insurance company will try for shared liability so giving her a chance to get out of full liability. Knowing most humans she'll take the opportunity.

I don't know how they can stereotype this into a grey area? How do they have the authority to deem fault when they have no clue what has actually happened. Our car was stationary so it doesn't fall into a grey area, yet apparently they can still attempt this?
Old 23-11-2010, 02:38 AM   #21
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
Sorry guys I haven't had the chance to read every comment yet.

She isn't denying fault as far as we know, she admitted fault at the time.
And she said she was sorry, she wasn't looking, thought the horn was further away.

When dad called the insurance company they were saying HER insurance company will try for shared liability so giving her a chance to get out of full liability. Knowing most humans she'll take the opportunity.

I don't know how they can stereotype this into a grey area? How do they have the authority to deem fault when they have no clue what has actually happened. Our car was stationary so it doesn't fall into a grey area, yet apparently they can still attempt this?
the point is if she tells her insurance company she was stopped and you hit her, there is no way of proving otherwise, thus the grey area.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #22
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

Yep I believe......
As a matter of fact more often than not an insurer will make a loss on a recovery. for instance another insurance company may short pay a tow or dispute a hire car length of time and short pay that . in these cases a lot of the time the insurer just sucks it up
Old 23-11-2010, 09:16 AM   #23
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just cop it on the chin and move on. For the cost of the excess it's not worth the stress.

I rear ended a woman who slammed on her brakes at 60 km/h to perform an illegal u turn at a set of traffic lights on a major intersection. I had witnesses all in my favour, she even admitted fault to the police.

I was still fined for neg driving "failing to maintain safe stopping distance" She got off with a finger waived at her by the cops, and i was still found at fault by my insurance company. In the end no matter how much i screamed and yelled for a $600 excess it wasn't worth all the stress.

Last edited by GT 160; 23-11-2010 at 09:26 AM.
GT 160 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #24
james123
EL FALCON

i had this problem but i wasnt even in my car but i seen it happen
james123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 10:25 AM   #25
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned
And how is any of this relevant to this thread?
Reread it mate, it's pretty funny.

After Yaw correctly outlined what the insurance company will most likely do in this instance (and Yaw works in the profession), Flappist added a touch of skepticism by challenging Yaws assertion of it being illegal for insurance companies to profiteer. He successfully did this by referencing the illegality of some of our best known (and loathed) institutes such as the Telstra, the police and the banks.
All in all, it wasn't a personal attack but was a much needed addition to the range of advice on offer for the original poster.

Quote: