Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-06-2009, 06:42 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Lightbulb Drive: Ford to give Falcon a heart start

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...2&pg=2&IsPgd=0

Quote:
Ford is close to finalising a plan to make the Ford Falcon more fuel-efficient. By ANDREW HEASLEY.

Ford Australia is just weeks away from deciding which future fuel-efficiency technologies it plans to engineer into its locally made large cars.

Ford needs to sign off its future technology strategies for the Falcon and Territory by the end of July so it can meet new stricter Euro IV emissions standards, which become compulsory in Australia in the middle of next year.

With rival Holden working on a series of fuel-saving technologies - including cylinder deactivation on V8s, direct injection, a smaller V6, 85 per cent ethanol-compatible engines and a single-fuel LPG system - Ford is under pressure to continue improving the efficiency of its six-cylinder engine, while at the same time introducing new technology.

In April, it announced reduced fuel consumption figures for the Falcon and Territory, and last month it confirmed the Territory would get a diesel engine by the end of next year. But further improvements are on the agenda.

Ford Australia president Marin Burela said today the company's global head of product development Derrick Kuzak had been personally involved in the future product technology deliberations.

Kuzak has made it known he wants to have a four-cylinder engine in every car in the Ford range by 2013.

Ford plans to rely heavily on turbocharged, smaller-capacity engines, matched to dual-clutch transmissions, to reduce its fleet’s average fuel consumption in coming years.

Ford Australia is also looking at direct injection, an automatic stop/go system that shuts off the engine when the car is stuck in traffic, and a next-generation LPG system that uses a more sophisticated liquid-injection process.

"We're looking at a whole range of things,'' Mr Burela said.

"We have to make a decision on that in the next two months. That is the cut-off point.''

Mr Burela said the company hadn't approached the Federal Government's Green Car Innovation Fund for grants for these fuel saving programs yet.

"We've been quiet on this. I don't want to go to Government every five minutes talking and asking for their support and engagement on things we're not ready to make a statement on.

"I want to make sure that once we're ready to move forward with our powertrain strategy that it's a very cohesive, a very comprehensive and a very thought-out plan.

"How we then engage government in terms of the Green Car Innovation Fund will then be an important part of the overall strategic direction and discussion. I don't stand there knocking on the door of (Industry Minister) Kim Carr,'' Mr Burela said.

The engine strategy review adds impetus to Falcon's immediate prospects, after Ford reversed its earlier decision to dump the local inline six-cylinder engine in favour of an imported V6 engine.

"The i-six is part of our plans.

"How far we can take it (to meet fuel efficiency and emissions targets) remains to be seen.

"But there are other options. You look at our stable of powertrain options around the world.''

He said the inline-six was also being considered for non-automotive applications, but he refused to elaborate on what they might be. Rumours suggest Ford may be negotiating a contract to supply aircraft tugs with engines.

Mr Burela said he was happy with Falcon sales recently, which he admitted had got off to a slow start since the FG models were released last year.

The company was selling a higher percentage of upper specification (and more profitable) XR6 sports models (50 per cent) and luxury G6E turbos (43 per cent) to private buyers.

That's a turnaround from the Falcon's traditional mix, which has typically been about 60 per cent base models, 25 per cent sports models and 15 per cent others.

While Holden was still winning the large car sales, Ford was only trailing by a handful of sedans last month. The difference, he said, was due to Holden's Sportwagon, which had found favour among private buyers.

But he doused expectations an FG Falcon wagon would be developed in the short term - fleet customers liked the cargo space of the current Ford wagon that is based on the previous BF model car.

"The last thing I want to do is to invest our scarce resources where we don't need to,'' Mr Burela said.

Ford's sales-weapon wagon would be the forthcoming Mondeo wagon, that's due to hit local showrooms in a few months' time.

"Let's take our first shot across the bow with the Mondeo wagon,'' he said.

The wagon debut will be a catalyst for relaunching the Mondeo range locally, Mr Burela said.

The Mondeo has struggled for sales in a crowed part of the market that accounts for 80,000 sales annually and has more than 20 competitors vying for a slice of the action.

In the sales race, there are two cars slipping behind further than the market itself is receding: the Focus and Territory.

Although Territory May sales were little more than half what they were a year ago, the new bumpers and interior trim colours for the recent facelift had sparked renewed interest from buyers, Mr Burela said.

"We've had an incredible response. Even the minor changes have given the market enough to actually come back to Territory,'' he said.

Focus needs a substantial push along, Mr Burela admitted.

"Our first priority with Focus is to lift its game in terms of sales,'' he said.

The problem for Focus starts with the Fiesta, which is newer, packs more features, is more fuel-efficient and almost as commodious and offers similar versatility.

The other problems for Focus are Toyota's Corolla and Mazda3 and Hyundai's i30, the latter two he heaped with praise.

"Hyundai - those guys are doing a great job. If you look at the i30...they're really bucking trend,'' he said. "They just continue to build momentum.

"Mazda3's doing a fantastic job... great brand, great car.''

He announced Ford would make a major marketing push for the Focus in Sydney, its largest potential market.

The campaign would focus on value for money, size and fuel economy. The Focus, which has had a recent mild facelift, has struggled to cement the consumer loyalty of its Laser predecessor and needs to soldier on until an all-new model appears. That model is already on sale in Europe.

To tap into the public psyche in tough economic times - compounded by recent natural disasters of fires and floods - Ford Australia is toying with a jingoistic "True Blue'' motto that could become a mainstay of the brand's public communications.

"I love it personally. I've asked the team to go out and see if there's mileage with it. It's got a nice feel to it.... it's a real Australian saying,'' Mr Burela said.

"If there's a company in Australia that can turn around and say they're the people's company, I think it's us.

"We've always been there, through the thick and the thin.

"I said (previously)...that the Australian market had fallen out of love with Ford over time and that was a direct outcome of some of the communication we had, some of the quality issues we had historically and we weren't being responsive enough maybe.

"I'm starting to see Australian customers looking at Ford again in a different light.

"We need to get the message out there that it's OK to buy Australian-made cars,'' Mr Burela said.
Interesting comments about the I6...maybe DI is not out of the question after all..

Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Also seems FG wagon is dead.
I6 may live post 2013.
Also if Ford say their gonna do something they will do it and not do a Holden is building everything.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #3
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gotta keep ford going! I wish they could advertise the advantages of the inline 6 better.

My old man just ordered a silver xr6 turbo, luxury pack that includes leather, 19's better air con, and stereo!

Hope that helps the sales a little bit!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 07:11 PM   #4
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Also seems FG wagon is dead.
Certainly seems that way. Will probably be killed off for the Euro 4 update unless they 'retrofit' it with the Euro 4 engine and new trans.

Thing is, Burela talks about how the wagon customers like the load capacity of the car which is it's strong point, but by killing it off next year (which is highly likely) the only replacements for it are going to be the Mondeo wagon and RWD Territory, neither of which have the same load capacity as the Falcon!!
Old 12-06-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Certainly seems that way. Will probably be killed off for the Euro 4 update unless they 'retrofit' it with the Euro 4 engine and new trans.

Thing is, Burela talks about how the wagon customers like the load capacity of the car which is it's strong point, but by killing it off next year (which is highly likely) the only replacements for it are going to be the Mondeo wagon and RWD Territory, neither of which have the same load capacity as the Falcon!!
I agree. the BFIII may be a small volume vehicle but it seems to be able to live. The BFIII was never meant to exist.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Forgetting the engine for a sec, was he actually talking about pumping some money into MARKETING!?!?

Quote:
Ford Australia is toying with a jingoistic "True Blue'' motto that could become a mainstay of the brand's public communications.

"I love it personally. I've asked the team to go out and see if there's mileage with it. It's got a nice feel to it.... it's a real Australian saying,'' Mr Burela said.

"If there's a company in Australia that can turn around and say they're the people's company, I think it's us.
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 08:45 PM   #7
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

I must say it sounds promising........

Sounds like ford is starting to turn the corner and get their together.

Previously:
2009 Ford Focus - "The Bubble Car"
2002 Ford Futura Wagon - "The Big White Wagon"
1996 Ford Falcon - "Ophelia"
1975 Jaguar XJ6 - "The Beast"
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 08:51 PM   #8
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Box
I must say it sounds promising........

Sounds like ford is starting to turn the corner and get their together.
Perhaps. But marketing jingles and new power trains will be useless with patchy build quality and a dealer network that is indifferent to warranty issues.

It's a 'whole package' kind of deal - they need to revamp the whole kit caboodle if they want to win customers back.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:16 PM   #9
zetec
Zoom Zoom

"The Focus, which has had a recent mild facelift, has struggled to cement the consumer loyalty of its Laser predecessor and needs to soldier on until an all-new model appears. That model is already on sale in Europe."

Journalism fail. No it's not. Ford Oz has virtually the same model that's on sale in Europe except for the door panels.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:22 PM   #10
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

looks like they are starting to turn the tide, if they can fix one small problem at a time, it won't be long untill ford is heading to the top, after all, the current range is definitely good enough.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:28 PM   #11
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

I might have to buy a Hyundai if they bring back John Williamson!

True Blue
Is it me and you
Is it Mum and Dad
Is it a cockatoo
Is it standing by your mate
When he's in a fight
Or will she be right
True Blue
I'm asking you
Hey True Blue
Can you bear the load
Will you tie it up with wire
Just to keep the show on the road
Hey True Blue
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 09:30 PM   #12
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
looks like they are starting to turn the tide, if they can fix one small problem at a time, it won't be long untill ford is heading to the top, after all, the current range is definitely good enough.
As long as they fix it and not just put a band-aid on it like what they previously did.

Mind you I did see real commitment to greatly improving the FG.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:36 PM   #13
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Mind you I did see real commitment to greatly improving the FG.
explain plz

Is the FGII or the FH (or whatever it is to be called) going to be a bit of a ripper?
Old 12-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #14
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Good article, very promising.

He's right about the Focus, but same could be said about the other two from Europe.

T6 can't come soon enough, but hopefully by the time it gets here Ford will have improved it's image a little more, giving it (the T6) the chance to kick Hilux' butt.

Last edited by Falc'man; 12-06-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 09:53 PM   #15
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A LWB Territory sould replace the BFIII Wagon
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 11:25 PM   #16
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
A LWB Territory sould replace the BFIII Wagon
I dont agree. The current Territory doesnt seem to have impacted greatly on the wagons sales, so I cant see how a bigger Territory could replace the BF3. From a private buyer perspective, a commodore style wagon would be a better proposition than a Territory for those of us who arent into the 4wd/SUV style vehicle.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 11:27 PM   #17
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
explain plz

Is the FGII or the FH (or whatever it is to be called) going to be a bit of a ripper?
There was a big emphasis on the carry over parts from the BFII to the FG, the quality control system was rolled further back in the install process (I was apart of that project) and not just the pre delivery area. No real idea about the next model as I'm no longer there. Mind you I did hear mustang engines and something about S/C's. I guess that source wasn't to bad.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:52 PM   #18
EgoFalcon
The Villan

The article really opens your eyes, but thing that amazed me is that most of the sales were xr models and g6e turbo, I am very shocked, well done to ford, its about time.

The PX Ranger has arrived! XLT Metropolitean Grey

Previous Ride - 2007 BF MK II XR6 in Lightning Strike
EgoFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2009, 12:41 AM   #19
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFalcon
The article really opens your eyes, but thing that amazed me is that most of the sales were xr models and g6e turbo, I am very shocked, well done to ford, its about time.
In years to come I can forsee Falcon being a low-volume niche model that will probably comprise of only sports and luxury variants like the XR's and G series. They will probably only move the volumes they are moving now but it will be ok because another carline (or two perhaps) will take over the mantle of being FoA's breadwinner.

I'm betting for the 2010/2011 Falcon, the XT will be given the chop and maybe even one of the G-series cars will be considered too.
Old 13-06-2009, 01:08 AM   #20
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
In years to come I can forsee Falcon being a low-volume niche model that will probably comprise of only sports and luxury variants like the XR's and G series. They will probably only move the volumes they are moving now but it will be ok because another carline (or two perhaps) will take over the mantle of being FoA's breadwinner.

I'm betting for the 2010/2011 Falcon, the XT will be given the chop and maybe even one of the G-series cars will be considered too.
One thing you have to remember fleets were staying away from the xt because of it's 3 star emission's. That's now been lowered to an acceptable level so hopefully it gets a few more fleet sales. Also with liquid injection LPG coming it should look good for many fleets. Finally there's the issue with the fed government buying VE's to support Holden (even if it has the worst emissions and fuel usage of the main 3).
Old 13-06-2009, 01:29 AM   #21
747jet
2 4 turning 2 4 burning

why cant for bulid a fg wagon like holden has the sportwagon. the holden wagon is selling its door off so if ford did the same it would sell as well and ford need to push the marketing as holden does that what sells cars
747jet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2009, 01:35 AM   #22
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747jet
why cant for bulid a fg wagon like holden has the sportwagon. the holden wagon is selling its door off so if ford did the same it would sell as well and ford need to push the marketing as holden does that what sells cars

Holden isn't selling more wagons, its actually losing sedan sales. Also the wagon is pointless for what it should be intended for. The Falcon Wagon is a work wagon and is pretty much a fleet hack as its very productive.
But the main reason the Ford Wagon is dead is because the Territory destroyed it. Dump the suspension on a terri and you'll see that its no more then a wagon, and one that has been profitable for Ford.

The Holden wagon is was doing 1200 units in a month when first released (I'd assume much lower now) while the Territory was pushing 2000+ units until petrol started jumping up.
Old 13-06-2009, 01:53 AM   #23
747jet
2 4 turning 2 4 burning

Quote:
Holden isn't selling more wagons, its actually losing sedan sales. Also the wagon is pointless for what it should be intended for. The Falcon Wagon is a work wagon and is pretty much a fleet hack as its very productive.
But the main reason the Ford Wagon is dead is because the Territory destroyed it. Dump the suspension on a terri and you'll see that its no more then a wagon, and one that has been profitable for Ford.

The Holden wagon is was doing 1200 units in a month when first released (I'd assume much lower now) while the Territory was pushing 2000+ units until petrol started jumping up.
ford need to offer the full modle range in the wagon like holden does and if not in the wagon the territory should have the full range and offer lpg as well that will blow holden out of the water in the wagon class and get rid of the 4 speed auto the 5 speed across the range it will be a better selling point for the territory and as well as the 6 speed auto
Old 13-06-2009, 01:57 AM   #24
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
ford need to offer the full modle range in the wagon like holden does and if not in the wagon the territory should have the full range and offer lpg as well that will blow holden out of the water in the wagon class and get rid of the 4 speed auto the 5 speed across the range it will be a better selling point for the territory and as well as the 6 speed auto

Terri has a full range (in terms of features) from the XT to the TTGhia.
5 Speed is expected to be in the new RWD model (mid 2010) and 6 speed as it is now.
LPG is tough to get in the Terri, but they are meant to be offering a diesel variant.
Old 13-06-2009, 02:05 AM   #25
747jet
2 4 turning 2 4 burning

Quote:
Terri has a full range (in terms of features) from the XT to the TTGhia.
5 Speed is expected to be in the new RWD model (mid 2010) and 6 speed as it is now.
LPG is tough to get in the Terri, but they are meant to be offering a diesel variant.
thay need to have a xr range as well thats why ford need to upgrade the wagon
Old 13-06-2009, 02:22 AM   #26
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
thay need to have a xr range as well thats why ford need to upgrade the wagon
Unfortunately the last time Ford had an XR wagon range it bombed and they made a loss due to no one really wanting it (been discussed many times).
Old 13-06-2009, 02:55 AM   #27
747jet
2 4 turning 2 4 burning

Quote:
Unfortunately the last time Ford had an XR wagon range it bombed and they made a loss due to no one really wanting it (been discussed many times).
yeah but times have changed and thats what the pepole want is a sportwagon of sometype i would love to own a xr6t wagon or a fpv wagon that would be tops :
Old 13-06-2009, 03:01 AM   #28
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
yeah but times have changed and thats what the pepole want is a sportwagon of sometype i would love to own a xr6t wagon or a fpv wagon that would be tops :

Dumped Terri Turbo...or even an F6X if you can find one lying around?
Old 13-06-2009, 03:27 AM   #29
747jet
2 4 turning 2 4 burning

Quote:
Dumped Terri Turbo...or even an F6X if you can find one lying around?
not everyone wants a terri ford need to bring the wagon alive the wagon its not selling because its the old shape ford need to show the australia pepole what ford can make and thay need to make the new shape wagon and thay will sell the sedan is not selling well because of fords marketing need to push the fg to fleet sales theres a lot of commodors going to gov depts and why is that god only knows and how many fg cop cars have you see on the road in vic not many at all why that ? fg has been out for more then a year now it does make sence to me.
Old 13-06-2009, 07:08 AM   #30
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

I think the new boss of Ford is a breath of fresh air compared to the last couple of fruit loops who were in charge.............