Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-02-2005, 10:57 PM   #1
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

Default Oops.. I pranged my car

I pranged my car today after my foot slipped off the brake and mashed the loud pedal while making a turn. I mounted the gutter knocked over a sign, ruined both front tyres and rims, the left suspension and wheel arch and one bruised ego. Its the first time in 13 years of driving that I have ever hit anything and man I feel like shit. I want to know if anyone else has done anything similar because I need to know that I'm not the only Doofus out there!!!
Don't worry I didn't prang the Ford!! e
Old 08-02-2005, 11:08 PM   #2
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

I'm sure many people have done it, I probably never will though

As long as its not the Ford and no one was hurt.
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 11:10 PM   #3
Psycho Chicken
Banned

$7500 to mum's car the week I got my P's count? Wasn't my fault, but it still sucked!
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 11:11 PM   #4
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Sorry can't say I've ever done it. Although a lot of people seem to do things like that to my car, especially if they're white cars.

My sister on the other hand.. she's blonde, has a Toyota Corolla CSX and thinks the CSX means it's a performance car... an auto 1.6... okaaaaaaaay.

She's written off more cars than I can keep count of, I'm still trying to work out how she has a rating 1 with her insurance company.
:lookedat:
Old 08-02-2005, 11:11 PM   #5
lv619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol, i've almost done the same (not to the extent you did though) in my brothers VL commo. The ****en brake and accelerator are in an awkward position compared to a falcon (what i'm used to).
Old 08-02-2005, 11:16 PM   #6
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
$7500 to mum's car the week I got my P's count? Wasn't my fault, but it still sucked!
Wasn't your fault eh! I've heard that before.
At least im being honest LOL :
Old 08-02-2005, 11:23 PM   #7
Kryton

um well i killed my fence and my HQ in one shot. big dirt court + good times + doughnuts = 1 ****ed fence and 1 ****ed car. (car also had no doors or seat belts but it was kicking the tin fence with bare feet to seperate it from the car that did the most damage to me).

looking at a map on my first pizza delivery whilst coming up to a red light = not a good idea. our cars had to be driven apart (hooked on towball) although there was no damage to the other car. i quit that job after that.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 11:27 PM   #8
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

No Mate your not

My 1st car I did the same thing, 2 weeks old, straight into a tree, lesson learnt, never wear saftey boots whilst on Ps

btw was a VN, so call it fate!
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 11:29 PM   #9
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

I did pizza deliveries for 5 years and never hit a thing but I guess it had to happen sometime!!
Old 08-02-2005, 11:47 PM   #10
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Yangs
Wasn't your fault eh! I've heard that before.
At least im being honest LOL :
I KNOW NOOOOOTTTHIIIIIINKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 11:55 PM   #11
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Yangs
I did pizza deliveries for 5 years and never hit a thing but I guess it had to happen sometime!!
You Yangs... Mate, from an old fart.... Secret is, To LEARN from it..We've ALL f***ed up! (And still do)
Mate, you are still here to talk about it... You are alive!
I have a 15 & 16 yr old... And,by christ it is SO scary hoping they aren't out doing what I was at their age!(car wise)
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 11:57 PM   #12
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Had some minor bingles... 3500 to the front end of a work commodore .
My brother was driving me to my wedding in his almost new Turbo Laser (85). Showing off to my best man in the back seat, he hit this curve at about 90, not allowing for the extra 180 kgs of passengers, and wrote off his Laser into another one!
Then, when the insurance company decided to repair it, because there was only 400 of them made, his wife borrowed my dad's ute, and wrote off a $90 000 ambulance that was transporting a heart attack patient.

Is the sign going to be okay?
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 12:03 AM   #13
LUXO_8
windsor user

i almost ran up the **** of a car in my work's ute after my shoelace tangled around the accelerator not alowing my foot to go to the brake. so i stabbed the brake with my left foot instead.. it stalled, but it stopped....,
then as i was trying to untangle the lace from the pedal so i could go again, got blasted by the guy behind

that one woke me up! always check my shoelaces now before i drive.........

Last edited by LUXO_8; 09-02-2005 at 12:05 AM.
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 12:10 AM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

Its not a writeoff is it? I hope not.

And yes, everyone has done it, so dont worry! Put it down to experience like i do whenever something stuffs up. :
Old 09-02-2005, 12:38 AM   #15
Envious
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm sure many people have done it, I probably never will though
Famous last words... :

Charliewool is right tho You Yangs, cop it, learn from it and move on..
Old 09-02-2005, 12:41 AM   #16
Sundeep
Banned

Closest thing I've done in 363 days of having my P's is run over a big **** off gutter in front of a packed KFC. Man that was embarassing, I didn't see the stupid thing because I was parked right next to it.

One badly scraped K-Frame and a very red face.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 12:56 AM   #17
champsky
THCC Motorsport member 1

lol my eskis rear tyre blew out while going around a bend and it scared teh sh1t out of me as i was still on me P's, ended up taking out the sign on the medium strip and the only telegraph pole in the area :s

Member of the MTAS
Founder of TTM (team twink motorsport)

Founder of the AFFDDPS (Australian Ford Forums Drink Driving Punishment Squad)
champsky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 02:49 AM   #18
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

No crashes for me.
Felt like a tool once when...
Driving a fork lift (was about 18) I dropped huge industrial shelving (pallet racking) on the bosses Mercedes. Dented the bonnet and put a HOLE in the fender. That was after about 1 year of working there. 7years after that i still work there somehow :P
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 08:24 AM   #19
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

The house I had in Dromana was off a main road and I had only just started to drive manual (about 3 weeks into it actually) and this guy came roaring up behind me and for some reason I panic'd and went straight into the fence and knocked the whole thing down. I've never driven a manual since lol.

The best one though is my ex sister-in-law. She was driving through Safeway carpark and was fiddling with the stereo and didn't notice the parked truck and went straight into it. We never let her live it down lol.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 10:29 AM   #20
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

I can think of two silly driver error prangs I had, both of which were in my first car (within the first year of driving too). Since I got rid of that car, I haven't had an accident yet...although there were some close calls :P

Anyway, I was driving this little '78 corolla around a westfield chermside car park (if anyone has ever been there, they know how chaotic it is on a saturday) and I was getting so angry and annoyed...finally saw a car park and took to it fairly quickly.

Unfortunately for me...I took to it a little too quickly and sratched/dinted two panels of....none other than... an EF Falcon! I left a note, he called me and thanked me for being so honest and I paid his insurance company $570 odd bucks a few weeks later..

The second time I was training for a job (I hadnt realised at the time it was dodgy) and attempted to park my car in an undercover area. I realised that it was probably not an undercover park for us trainees, so I huridly revesed from my park.....into a wall.

Fortunately for me, the wall was made out of chalk-board and wood. I hurried out of there! I also never went back to that place after that day..
Old 09-02-2005, 07:32 PM   #21
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven
I huridly revesed from my park.....into a wall.
Fortunately for me, the wall was made out of chalk-board and wood. I hurried out of there! I also never went back to that place after that day..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Closest thing I've done in 363 days of having my P's is run over a big **** off gutter in front of a packed KFC. Man that was embarassing, I didn't see the stupid thing because I was parked right next to it.
Sorry guys these are really funny....hope you cvan see the funny side now?

I've had a couple. My foot slipped off the clutch, but being a diesel landcruiser, didn't stall and went (kinda rolled before i got onto the brakes) into the car in front of me. stupid (shoulda stopped firther back), expensive (HSV VN wagon bumper, even though it was the tiniest dent i've ever seen on a VN), embarassing (outside a school at 3.30pm).
I also took out a trolley bay in knox carpark. It was right beside me (in the 'cruiser again, trayback) and i didn't see the last row of it behind the tray. Swung outta the space and ripped it clear outta the ground. Luckily the side of the tray got it and not the cab = no damage. I was outta there in a hurry...

It's all down to experience. These were both in my first year of driving, and even in eighteen months, i've can see that i've become a much better driver. These mistakes are nothing to stress about, just learn from em.

-Stu
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 07:57 PM   #22
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only prang I've ever had was when I was doing burnouts whilst extremely drunk on a public (but very very quiet) road. Drifted up a left hand bend, *** got too far out, overcorrected and went straight into a fence. Thankfully I was only in The Shitter. Mangled the front left guard and still haven't got it fixed. I paid for the fence obviously but I really couldn't care less about the dent in my car :
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 08:49 PM   #23
pauly85
commodore bogan

< -----------------------------------
pauly85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 09:31 PM   #24
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My worst prang was in my AUII XR8 ute.It was raining and I was heading home after work. I had a work mate in the car and he was comenting on the exhaust note saying it sounded awesone when I was laying the boot in. So when I left the last toll both I realy got stuck into it. my passenger was saying "I got to get one of these things" and then I back of at 140km and change up to 4th and thats when the ute decided it was not going to go in a straight line anymore. I did about 5-6 full side ways fishtales and it was getting further out of control. So I touch the brakes lightly hopeing that the ABS might straighten up the car. NOPE did not work instead I was doing 360s, 5 in total. 4 on the road and 1 on the grass in between the the lanes. I took out 3 timber road reflectors and the Grand finally was I slamed into a massive road toll sign and ripped it of its footings. The sign said REDUCE SPEED . I dented all but 2 panels. No 1 was hurt In fact it was the smoothes prang I have ever been in. The car hit the toll sign side ways just infront of the front left wheel and tore the whole front bumber off and did not damage anything structual or suspension.

and just a not on how well these car are designed. the tow truck driver said that if I had of been in a Holden I would of ended up on the roof.

Matt

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 10:24 PM   #25
chippa6
Novice Professional

Tried to do a little bit of rally driving in my old laser a few years back - kept the handbrake up too long - fishies on gravel = sideswiping an embankment, front wheel pushed backwards touching the guard and a long walk to the local kiosk and sheepishly calling the old man in front of all the kiosk customers to bring a car trailer cause I crashed. Hmm i felt like i'd just been hit with a rolled up newspaper.

Ending up putting the chassis out 12mm - thats why the steering wheel wouldn't return or spin back to center.!

Chippa
Old 09-02-2005, 11:11 PM   #26
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Yes I last just on 13 years as well with damaging my car(got away with a few spin out with car facing the wrong but didn't touch anying) While heading home from work. I took my foot off the go pedal but the car just keep going. I slow it down to 30-40 km/h mark than relies that I had to turn a corner. This is when i really lost control of the car & ended up front on in a safty fence. Two week after i got the car back a truck in the left lane on the freeway lost it load & into the front of the car again. I hit the brakes, with another truck on the left & safty rail on the right i had no choise. This one really up set me. So you not the only one cheer up as you can fix the car easy but not your self.

Last edited by AUIII XR8 MAN; 09-02-2005 at 11:14 PM.
AUIII XR8 MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post