Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 31-05-2006, 07:57 PM   #1
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Default Pod Pipe Thingie

Hey Peeps,

Some peoples have asked me about my Pod setup and I thought it was about time i posted something on it. See pics.

It consists of
1 x K&N Pod = 36 Bucks
1 x 2 1/4inch Metal Pipe @90 degree = 22 bucks
3 x 3inch 90 degree silicone hosing = 72 bucks

Its nothing special, but is alot better than a melted stock plastic pipe that i used earlier. The only advanatges i have found is better response in the higher rev range and car runs a bit smoother thats about it. oh and the induction noise is subtle but u can definitly hear it.

Old 31-05-2006, 08:34 PM   #2
amlohac

Doesnt that suffer from very very serious heat soak? The pipe is running extreemly close to some engine components that give off ALOT of heat. Your probably loosing alot more than you are gaining. And when summer rolls round that pod setup will choke your engine with the heated air it will be sucking up. This is all not healthy for your car by the way, but im sure you knew that hot air = very bad.

Just a suggestion, since you have alot of joins and points of articulation, you could move the pipe so the pod sits down near the front of the car, where it will get constant access to cold air. I dont know how much room you have, but by the looks of it, you might find it hard. But it will work alot better than what you have set up at the moment.
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2006, 09:03 PM   #3
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Hey Amlohac,

I did think exactly the same thing about the excessive heat but there is very little room to direct the pipe or pod anywhere else without making it worse than it is. I originaly had the stock plastic pipe running just behind the bonnet latch and that has nearly melted. The pod atm is a little too big and there is a hose just beneath it that ristricts the pod goin further down. I have been able to touch the metal pipe after drivng and its not that hot but in the summer time i might just put some heat insulation around the metal.
Old 31-05-2006, 09:55 PM   #4
amlohac

Youve got me interested now, i wonder if i can find a fiesta to play with. Im sure you could fabricate some metal tubing, long ram type deal. And yes, bonnet room sucks in the focus, so i can only imagine your problems
Old 31-05-2006, 11:13 PM   #5
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The best way would be to have the tube running along the front of the engine bay to the filter. The stock airbox is in a veyr poor condition sitting at the back of the engine bay soaking heat from the exhaust and in-manifold cats.

Anything going to the back will hit exhuast heat.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2006, 11:27 PM   #6
nnng_oozie
Bone Stock Fiesta!

I agree, a tube running along the front of the engine to the filter would avoid the hot air. Oh well, i've already ordered my K&N panel filter.

Cheers Damo, thanks for the pics.
nnng_oozie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2006, 10:09 AM   #7
Danny
GT4.

Amlohac, I think the only thing that Damian has done wrong here is redirecting the piping to travel over the rocker cover. My pod pipe travels along the front of the engine over the intake manifold. (Which is heat sheilded in a special PVC and never gets hot enough to cause drama). In a very hard to work with engine bay, that's our best way.

In regards to where the pod is sitting, well, it ain't that bad a place, as directly in front of it is the stock airfeed hole, and the front grill. When driving, there would be PLENTY of cold airfeed to keep you out of trouble. As long as your not in stop start driving, where the buildup of hot air when stopped will get sucked into the engine when you move off again. However thats just for the breif moment of takeoff.

I'm toying with some ideas to make the pod sit lower but its gonna be brackets, more piping, and perhaps a pod that sits lower to the ground where water and road grime can get at it easier. (Mine's a "Sumota" Sponge Type). The other thing is an actual feed pipe simply that sits behind the lower grill near the foglight fastened somehow, and bends up to the front of the pod, feeding it with cold air. although this would still not address the stop/start issue.. And cable ties are for EA Falcons... lol
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2006, 01:24 PM   #8
nnng_oozie
Bone Stock Fiesta!

Hey Danny, post some pics of your setup. I think we're all interested to see how you've done it.
nnng_oozie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2006, 05:46 PM   #9
Danny
GT4.

Will do, Once I get home.

BTW its dirty at the moment, I work in a site office on a shopping centre building site so when Bulk Earthworks happen, it gets dusty! lol
Old 01-06-2006, 07:39 PM   #10
Danny
GT4.

Ok Here Tis

Pod looks like a Monza cheap Shiŧ one, But its a Sumota (One of my preferred brands up with BMC) proper sponge one. Good flow, Awesome sound, Good filtering properties, Its also VERY easy to clean and oil, Its light too, so It doenst bounce around or risk pulling off the end of the pipe. Its Retail Price wasn't cheap either (But I didnt pay that ;) )
Old 01-06-2006, 07:45 PM   #11
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i noticed with both setups they're running very close to potentially hot engine parts, what we've done with alot of our cars in the past is heat wrapped intake piping and the exhaust manifolds whiich leads to a much cooler engine bay and on a stock xr6 just around the exhaust manifold it lead to a 8kw gain, just a suggestion, i know when i do my intake i'll be heatwrapping everything intake and exhaust in the engine bay
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2006, 08:14 PM   #12
amlohac

Its hard to make suggestions when i have never been under the hood of one of your little cars. Judging from the pics its seems frustrating. The only thing with putting the pod down near the road is water splashback and it would get dirty very very very quick. But i do belive you can get a pod thats water resistant, i think its Drift that makes em.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:35 PM   #13
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Just wondering why you left the stock airbox on Danny? Returning to stock for servicing??
Old 01-06-2006, 08:51 PM   #14
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only parts that dannies setup is running near is the intake manifold and that isn't exactly a massive heat generating part. probably the coolest part of the engine bay
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2006, 08:56 PM   #15
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijohn42
Just wondering why you left the stock airbox on Danny? Returning to stock for servicing??
Yes Indeedy, I used to have it off though.

And Zetec20. Umm the pod isn't really sitting next to Hot parts. In front of it is the ECU, and the Battery. The pipe itself goes over the (Already heatsheilded) intake manifold, and that is possible to touch at all times no matter how or where you drive. While I agree that when stopped, the air buildup around it will probably become warm, but when driving there is a lot of flow directly to it from the front grille. It ain't a perfect set up, but its all thats been done really with all of us, and seemingly most people in the UK with the Mk6.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:18 PM   #16
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetec20
i noticed with both setups they're running very close to potentially hot engine parts, what we've done with alot of our cars in the past is heat wrapped intake piping and the exhaust manifolds whiich leads to a much cooler engine bay and on a stock xr6 just around the exhaust manifold it lead to a 8kw gain, just a suggestion, i know when i do my intake i'll be heatwrapping everything intake and exhaust in the engine bay
I am definitly gonna heat wrap everything related to the intake as it is getting alot of heat, also i think my pod is a little too big for the space. Something like danny's is spot on. Its smaller and compact to fit lower in the engine bay and still get lots of cold air.

The reason i changed from the existing setup like danny's is because the plastic pipe started to loose its integrity. Dont get me wrong i know the setup i did isnt the most resourceful but its doing the job and i plan on improving on it