Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-12-2005, 06:05 PM   #1
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Help! Problem with AUII 4.0L

Hey guys.
I'm having a problem with my AUII 6cyl at the moment. It seems to be misfiring or something when i accelerate or go up hills. All it does it lose lots of power and make cough and splutter noise... :
I suspect it might be the catalytic convertor as its been noisy for some time.. or the exhaust..Would either of these cause a problem like this?
Any ideas what it is? I hope its not very serious.. : : :(

GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2005, 06:12 PM   #2
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Sounds like something different than the cat. If you're accelerating when it loses power, I wouldn't blame the cat.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:14 PM   #3
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like what my EF was doing when the coil packs were playing up.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2005, 07:31 PM   #4
storm68
Starter Motor

Exactly what my au2 ute did. It was the dwell angle sensor , cost me bout $60.
storm68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2005, 08:08 PM   #5
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

sound like leads

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2005, 09:15 PM   #6
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok so it doesn't sound like anything exhaust related? Its had a noise for a while, tibbo said it was coming from the exhaust when he heard the car so i took it back to the exhaust place and they said its the heatshield on the catalytic convertor.. this wouldn't contribute at all right?
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2005, 09:34 PM   #7
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds like the leads for sure.. when last have they been replaced if at all?
richo77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2005, 09:37 PM   #8
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennAUII
ok so it doesn't sound like anything exhaust related? Its had a noise for a while, tibbo said it was coming from the exhaust when he heard the car so i took it back to the exhaust place and they said its the heatshield on the catalytic convertor.. this wouldn't contribute at all right?
nope, that rattle is just the shroud.. not at all related.. I know you just had a big service so that should rule out plugs and leads.. Could be a fuel filter but like stockstandard my money is on the coil pack breaking down.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2005, 09:39 PM   #9
mattsAU1

i would have said leads or plugs too, my AU1 6 started doing that bout two weeks before i last had it serviced and my mechanic found two fried leads and a couple of plugs that weren't in the best of shape. Replaced them with the Bosch race series plugs and leads and she hasn't missed a beat since.
mattsAU1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2005, 10:34 PM   #10
64compact

have a look at the leads and where they X over the rocker cover see if there is a grey burn mark there on the leads if so fit new plugs and leads. you have to jack up the left side of the car to change them, you will find a Zipp tie around the leads on the coil pack, cut it and remove the leads, fit Ford leads as they are numbered and exactly the correct length, i find most people get about 120,000 klm out of a set of leads, so they are fairly reliable, If you havent got iridium plugs fit them at the same time and you will be able to forget about the plugs and leads for 100,000 + klm's, most people stuff the leads when they change the plugs, as they glue them selves to the plug, and break the inner core when they pull them to remove them.
64compact is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post