Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 24-11-2019, 03:18 PM   #1
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Adaptive Cruise Control - a cautionary tale.

The ACC got caught out yesterday

Travelling city bound along the Monash Freeway at 100 kph (the posted limit) and moving through a gentle right hand bend that required no steering input owing to the road camber.

Quite suddenly the car started an almost panic stop that washed off the speed quickly until I took back control of the throttle.

I'm suspecting that this occurred because there was an almost stationary vehicle on the left hand verge. I'd guess it was moving at between 10 and 20 kph waiting for a traffic gap to pull into.

Because of the bend the ACC beam washed across the slow moving vehicle and believed, since there was no steering input, that the car was running up behind another car in the same lane moving very slowly and commenced a rapid slowing manoeuvre. Thankfully the car behind was not tailgating so there was no collision but a quick glance in the RVM showed a rapid closure rate.

I've had similar situations on a straight road with no concern, so the ACC beam is quite directional and is able to differentiate stationary objects from moving ones. It can also detect cars that pull into the gap I leave to the car ahead and takes no action if they are moving faster than me. If they are moving slower then an adjustment occurs to maintain my preferred separation distance.

Some very clever calculations are being done by the system - but it isn't foolproof as my experience shows.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-11-2019, 05:26 PM   #2
thebigd

Default Re: Adaptive Cruise Control - a cautionary tale.

It's a great system, but not perfect, even though it's just doing it's job.
I've had similar issues to the one you report. It gets your attention pretty quickly, especially if someones close behind you, not expecting you to brake.
Have also learned to switch it off while climbing the Toowoomba Range, and Cunninghams Gap. There's a couple of sharp right handers on both crossings that activate the braking. There's been no cars around, so I guess it's picking up the terrain directly ahead, before you hook into the turn.
thebigd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-11-2019, 02:14 AM   #3
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had a similar experience, actually. But in my experience, I've found that it never behaves unpredictably. Whenever it slams on the brakes, it does so because either a car has just merged into the gap in front of me, or I'm going around a slight bend while passing a slow moving car.

These days when I'm in a situation where the ACC could potentially slam on the brakes, I deactivate it temporarily.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2019, 08:34 AM   #4
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post

These days when I'm in a situation where the ACC could potentially slam on the brakes, I deactivate it temporarily.
If i can generally forsee the situation coming, and when its about to happen I turn a little towards it in my lane, and then steering input slightly away from it makes it all good.... not foolproof, and not all lanes support it.... but it kinda works in moat circumstances.
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2019, 04:08 PM   #5
sleek7

Had the same thing happen many times in our MB Xr5t and in my PX2 Ranger. You learn to anticipate when it might happen with experience and I usually cancel the cruise when I suspect it might trigger. But would definitely scare the hell out of my 17yo sister in law who is still learning to drive.
sleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post