Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-05-2008, 05:34 PM   #1
Serge

Question Steering Rack Replacement Questions

Hey fellas my power steering rack packed it in today so rang around for prices and couldn't afford a new one for the price of 460, so rang the local wreckers and they have a few for 80 so thought hell with it il change it myself, just a few questions to clarify a few things... are any "special" tools required, and is it necessary to remove the cat? any pointers or suggestions? cheers!

Serge

Last edited by Serge; 27-05-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Serge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2008, 07:39 PM   #2
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pipe SPANNER is a must for the power steering pipes,,wheel alignment is a must as well.

other than that nothing special needed.
Old 27-05-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
tufLTD
tufLTD

You will need to drop the front swaybar & remove the engine exhaust pipe.
tufLTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge
Hey fellas my power steering rack packed it in today so rang around for prices and couldn't afford a new one for the price of 460, so rang the local wreckers and they have a few for 80 so thought hell with it il change it myself, just a few questions to clarify a few things... are any "special" tools required, and is it necessary to remove the cat? any pointers or suggestions? cheers!

Serge
What actually happens when the power steering rack is cactus???
no steering, loose... etc

Mine is suspect, and dont know what really to look out for.
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2008, 09:54 PM   #5
Serge

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1XR2C
What actually happens when the power steering rack is cactus???
no steering, loose... etc

Mine is suspect, and dont know what really to look out for.
Mine started playing up a while ago (over a year now), steering got really loose, boots were torn etc... but what really finished it off is when i went to install a new high pressure hose I used a little too much elbow grease and cracked the inlet thread on the steering rack and the bloody thing fell out in pieces........... :togo:

As said above regarding removal of the exhaust, is that absolutely necessary? if so do I need some type of sealer to put it back on or just bolt the bugger back in? cheers and thanks for your help fellas.
Old 27-05-2008, 11:13 PM   #6
kcej
2mny projects 2 lttl time

Default exhaust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge
Mine started playing up a while ago (over a year now), steering got really loose, boots were torn etc... but what really finished it off is when i went to install a new high pressure hose I used a little too much elbow grease and cracked the inlet thread on the steering rack and the bloody thing fell out in pieces........... :togo:

As said above regarding removal of the exhaust, is that absolutely necessary? if so do I need some type of sealer to put it back on or just bolt the bugger back in? cheers and thanks for your help fellas.
I've done two recently WITHOUT touching the exhaust, tho it said in the book you have to.????????
Had to remove the swaybar tho, well, not really remove, but removed the two brackets that mount it to the chassis, left the ends connected. it just swings out of the way, but its easy as.......
If you do remove the exhaust you should use new gaskets OR a tube of Maniseal or the like.
Didn't need tube spanner for the lines, but then I guess mine weren't overtightened previously.
If you don't get the wheel alignment after, or can't afford it, do your tyres a favor and at the VERY LEAST, line the wheels up by sight, but best to spend the few bucks on a proper alignment.
kcej is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2008, 12:16 AM   #7
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

To change the rack, yes the exhaust needs to be dropped and on my series 1 the sway bar had to be dropped as well (just the mounts as kcej said)

As for prices ring around again.

For my new rack it was $220 for a reco change over unit ($420 then $200 back if not on the spot), and since i thought there was a trick to fitting them after i got nowhere fast i paid $165 to have it fitted.

Don't ask for a new rack, ask for change over. Most power steering places do this.

As for where i got mine done, Prestige power steering in thomastown Vic, as i'm not sure where you're located.

Also, it is recomended to use a pipe spanner, but a normal ring spanner can be used very very carfefully in it's place. And if it won't budge, don't force it.

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2008, 01:14 AM   #8
347 mont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went for a wheel alignment last week after getting new tyres and the bloke asked me to come and take a look, there was oil in the boots of the rack and suggested a new rack was in order sooner or later. $630 including alignment and oil, I havent done it yet but have rung around for a few quotes and all have quoted between $600 and $690, so your quote of $460 is pretty good. Mine is a SII Ghia V8 so I wonder if thats why mine is more expensive. I'm going to wait before I do it till I see a few drips of oil on the garage floor, its not completly shagged at this point. Is $630 too much? I did get 4 quotes and all came in at that or higher.
Old 28-05-2008, 01:34 AM   #9
superroo

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Seams alright, as i said before, mine was $385 fitted with oil and alignment. And by the looks would be at the lower end of the scale.

It think the big difference in price is wheather the rack is new or reco'd changeover. Ask for a changeover rack when getting prices too, should drop the price a bit.
Old 28-05-2008, 01:37 AM   #10
Abacus
Life's a Gas

The first rack went in my 2000 SII Ghia at about 80,000 and was replaced under Ford extended warranty. Sold the car at 160,000 and the rack was pretty sloppy.

Looks like it in my hands they were an 80,000km replacement item.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2008, 02:58 AM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347 mont
I went for a wheel alignment last week after getting new tyres and the bloke asked me to come and take a look, there was oil in the boots of the rack and suggested a new rack was in order sooner or later. $630 including alignment and oil, I havent done it yet but have rung around for a few quotes and all have quoted between $600 and $690, so your quote of $460 is pretty good. Mine is a SII Ghia V8 so I wonder if thats why mine is more expensive. I'm going to wait before I do it till I see a few drips of oil on the garage floor, its not completly shagged at this point. Is $630 too much? I did get 4 quotes and all came in at that or higher.
i think for the the 460 price was for "new " rack supplied not fitted.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2008, 07:13 PM   #12
tufLTD
tufLTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347 mont
I think the V8's have an electronic control on the rack & are quite a bit dearer than a standard 6cyl rack.
tufLTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2008, 10:55 PM   #13
Serge

OK, more dilemmas for me, installed the rack, did everything back up snugly, drop the car and guess what... no power steering AT ALL, I have had it with the power steering altogether, I'm thinking the rack I bought was dodgy? any ideas or suggestions guys? also the cat cracked on the side and is ****in out exhaust fumes, seems like a black Friday day for me.... pain of a job though working with car stands for anyone wanting to give it a shot i suggest a hoist lol
Old 28-05-2008, 11:07 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

after installing it you have to bleed the air out of the system by going lock to lock, then recheck oil level, after a few goes from lock to lock it should come good.
Old 29-05-2008, 01:37 AM   #15
superroo

Agree and second what mik said.
Old 29-05-2008, 04:35 PM   #16
Serge

all is well, thanks a heap guys for your help, very happy indeed, the problem was with the castrol syntrans oil which i put into the pump, after draining it and chucking in some good ol shell power steering fluid I got from the servo it worked a breeze, and yes the key thing to remember is to bleed the air out of the system, cheers.
Old 30-05-2008, 12:21 AM   #17
EvilChief
Boost Addict

just on a quick side note:

carefully count the amount of turns ur tie rod ends come off by and refit with same amount of turns to new rack and ur wheel alignment will sorta be in the right spot. also please dont destroy the thred on the tie rods by bashing on top of the bolt, just hit the steering knuckle has hard as u can and it will pop free. dont be scared to use a real man's hammer (mini sledgy)

as for fluid use an agri type based fluid, works best with the ford systems, bleeding is piece of cake, fill reservoir up turn lock to lock twice, back to centre and top up as required. done
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #18
old fordnut
too many fords

I'm also trying this and cant for the life of me get the intermediate shaft of the rack. I've removed the lower uni bolt but it wont budge. Any ideas?

Daily driver 2: Nissan gq patrol

Project 1: XP ute, 351W, c4, 9inch

Project 2: XBGS sedan, sunburnt orange and vinyl, original 4spd, 302C.
old fordnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #19
exactly

can you do this on ramps or does it have to be on stands with wheels of
exactly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #20
Jimmyd
Banned

Ramps are fine, just a bit tricky getting the Tie Rod ends off, much easier when on stands with front wheels off. Also easier to do your preliminary lock to lock air bleed when wheels in the air....
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 04:00 PM   #21
BuckTooth
Feel the boost

I used a company called Bayford Steering, down on coburg rd. It cost me $280 for a V8 steering rack delivered to my door. They have an ebay store listing them, but i rang diretly. Then after its fitted you just send your old rack back to them, it certainly was easy. As for removing it, i didn't touch the exhausts but ya definately have to remove the sway bar brackets.
Old 25-05-2010, 04:00 PM   #22
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

woops mis read.......

Last edited by mik; 25-05-2010 at 04:02 PM. Reason: old and senile
This user likes this post:
Old 25-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #23
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fordnut
I'm also trying this and cant for the life of me get the intermediate shaft of the rack. I've removed the lower uni bolt but it wont budge. Any ideas?
some times to get uni`s off a splined shaft i have cheated by wedging a couple of screw driver blades in and spreading the 2 halves(if there`s a slot) a little, or a few precise taps with a knockometer .
Old 04-08-2010, 11:51 AM   #24
xp_wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckTooth
I used a company called Bayford Steering, down on coburg rd. It cost me $280 for a V8 steering rack delivered to my door. They have an ebay store listing them, but i rang diretly. Then after its fitted you just send your old rack back to them, it certainly was easy. As for removing it, i didn't touch the exhausts but ya definately have to remove the sway bar brackets.
hey mate do you still recommend bayford? I think im going to get a steering rack from them for my AU XR6. They can do it for $300 + postage, no change over required, and gonna have a go at changing it myself. They also state 2 year 40,000km warranty? seems about the best deal i can find so far...
xp_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #25
shazaam

I just had mine done on my XR8. Bought the reco rack from bayford for 300 delivered and also new steering pump for 156 delivered. No exchange required so I've got spares that I'll rebuild one day. So much better now, like a new car compared to how it was, don't know why i put up with it for so long!
shazaam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 01:31 PM   #26
old fordnut
too many fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazaam
I just had mine done on my XR8. Bought the reco rack from bayford for 300 delivered and also new steering pump for 156 delivered. No exchange required so I've got spares that I'll rebuild one day. So much better now, like a new car compared to how it was, don't know why i put up with it for so long!
HAHA I know what you mean.

Daily driver 2: Nissan gq patrol

Project 1: XP ute, 351W, c4, 9inch

Project 2: XBGS sedan, sunburnt orange and vinyl, original 4spd, 302C.
old fordnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 09:13 PM   #27
EV1LXR8

can you buy a reco kit for them? thinkin bout doin it myself, my steering is fairly loose (about 1/16 of a turn) its starting to annoy me but cant afford the 300 for a replacement, has any one else had a crack at it
EV1LXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #28
xp_wannabe

put the ute on my mates hoist last night, and lucky for me its not the rack leaking. It looks like it is just the lower power steering hose, and possibly the pressure switch too on the rack, so we're just gonna replace both. I think thats pretty good goin, seeing as this ute has nearly 200,000 km, ive had it since 70,000 and ive never put a rack in it...
xp_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #29
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Prestige Auto Venue in Charles Street North Coburg here in Melbourne quoted me just now $280 + GST fitted with wheel alignment, for a reco rack. That price is a steal.

I've had both my AUs done here in the past and will do so again with no worries at all.

Their number is 93542962.

Cheers,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2017, 06:24 PM   #30
janddbtwo
The annoying one.

Default Re: Steering Rack Replacement Questions

Thanks for all the info guys.

the other day moved the territory into the shed and hurd this really loud clunking sound, so i checked it out and found that the power steering rack was loose, looked like the mount was really loose, well turns out there was no mount on one side, completely ripped off!