Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-02-2020, 10:21 PM   #1
mondeomatureguy

Default Does any body know how Allan Moffat is going?

Hi Ford People,
I haven't read for a few months in any car mags how Allan Moffat is going?
I knew that Larry Perkins was looking after the legal side of things and Allan was at a special facility in Melbourne but that's all ive heard.

thanks
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2020, 11:24 AM   #2
Sprint XR8

Default Re: Does any body know how Allan Moffat is going?

FB Official Allan Moffat
Quote:
12 Febuary - Thanks to Larry and the guys at MLB Removals for your hard work today

Quote:
11 Febuary - Dutton Garage - Caught up with SS Auto Memorabilia today had lunch and signed a couple of pics

Quote:
11 February - Was an enjoyable day today to have long time friend Lee Dykstra over from Indianapolis some might remember the name from B-52 Falcon and Monza days

Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2020, 11:47 AM   #3
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My heart skipped a beat for a sec when I saw the 2nd photo of Alan Moffat, hand on hip, wearing the baseball cap and glasses as I thought I was looking at my (late) father..even my wife said "s#!t, I thought that was your dad"....and dad was a Ford man too...
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2020, 03:38 PM   #4
mondeomatureguy

nice pics Sprint XR8
I said once before Sprint XR8 that Allan Moffat did a lot for Australian Motor Racing.

He brought the DRY Brake System into Australia after years of arguing with Cams.
As a driver he was so easy on the race car in 1977 when he won Bathurst it was Jackie Ickx who gave the brakes on the Falcon a work out and used them up.
3 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2020, 03:59 PM   #5
yearby
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=mondeomatureguy;6400389]

As a driver he was so easy on the race car in 1977 when he won Bathurst QUOTE]

I guessing that Alan Moffat must have learnt his driving skills of being easy on the race car during his stint in the 70,000 mile Ford/Mobil trail using the XP Falcon, they where going through excessive amounts of radial tyres in that event and all the race drivers where told to take it easy on them (tyres and cars).
yearby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2020, 04:45 PM   #6
mondeomatureguy

hi Yearby,
I remember seeing a video on the history of the Bathurst races and in 1969was the first race for Allan Moffat in the GTHO and the late Peter Brock in a Holden Monaro.

That was the year that Ford imported special race tyres. After a few GTHOs blew there tyres in the race they called Allan Moffat into the pits for a tyre change.

His tyres were still in good condition and if he hadn't been called in he may have won the race.
4 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2020, 02:41 PM   #7
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=yearby;6400395]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeomatureguy View Post

As a driver he was so easy on the race car in 1977 when he won Bathurst QUOTE]

I guessing that Alan Moffat must have learnt his driving skills of being easy on the race car during his stint in the 70,000 mile Ford/Mobil trail using the XP Falcon, they where going through excessive amounts of radial tyres in that event and all the race drivers where told to take it easy on them (tyres and cars).
Them tyres need to be run in or they don't last as long, they need to get hot and then cool down for a start.

Every new tyres that I bought before the 1990's were like driving a alligator home on the highway and the next day they were fine.

Same with road bikes take it easy the first day or 2 to get heat into them and they last well and that was with top shelf tyres in the 90's but if you fanged them on the first day they would scrub out like mad.

The Mobil Trial had a new road that they blamed tyres for chewing out, but I never seen roads back in them days with sharp stone like we got when they started using crushed granite stone that is sharp as, all that I ever seen back in 1965 or to maybe 1980 was smooth river stone in QLD maybe they used granite on that track it looks like granite rocks in the pictures around the track.

I was driving the wife's Aurion in the rain coming through a sweeper sighed 80KM/H so ok that's what I did and the front end lost grip, it was that new good thickly paved stuff that is smooth, now if it was sharp stone it would of not lost grip, I have found in QLD some crappy bitumen over the years, one was that the stone comes off and you are left with like a glass finish of something like Silicone and it is crap for grip when wet and riding a bike over it you can feel the crap moves under you, it's like that crap that they fill long gaps up in the road with.

As for Moffat or Brock they were taught how to look at the track and do there home work totally pro, in how to tackle a 500mile run like that, P Brock showed me this driving tec and yes I got the message, rather than just hammering it as hard as you can, you have to think everything through as to why you are doing things that you do, he would have a fit if you were abusing the car.

How Moffat did 500miles by himself at Bathurst in a total sh-t box like a XY Falcon, I have to take my hat off to him, he is the best driver ever of hands down of Bathurst. nobody can top something like that off ! non of the young blokes nowadays could do that in a XY in the same track conditions as it was back in the day.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2020, 03:09 PM   #8
mondeomatureguy

Hi Mick,
I am not sure how old you are but I am now 61 years old and a lot of things have changed and some not for the better.

I think Moffat and Brock were in the a world of there own. Two top class drivers when they raced at Bathurst against each other going for it flat out and it was great to watch.

They never punted each other off the track just clean fast racing. Both drivers easy on the car.

I once drove a mates XY GT falcon but not a GTHO its a big heavy car with no power Steering and heaps of grunt and not much stopping power. That was on the road not a race track .

What ever happens to Allan Moffat in the future I think he will be remembered as one of the best Ford drivers ever to race in Australia and when on the race track he was tough as nails to beat.
Old 17-02-2020, 04:58 AM   #9
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Moffat = LEGEND !
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-02-2020, 08:16 AM   #10
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The great man , happy to see him still going. Lee Dykstra , for those that don't know ended up marrying Allans ex wife Pauline many years ago and she has lived in the USA ever since.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2020, 12:19 PM   #11
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeomatureguy View Post
Hi Mick,
I am not sure how old you are but I am now 61 years old and a lot of things have changed and some not for the better.

I think Moffat and Brock were in the a world of there own. Two top class drivers when they raced at Bathurst against each other going for it flat out and it was great to watch.

They never punted each other off the track just clean fast racing. Both drivers easy on the car.

I once drove a mates XY GT falcon but not a GTHO its a big heavy car with no power Steering and heaps of grunt and not much stopping power. That was on the road not a race track .

What ever happens to Allan Moffat in the future I think he will be remembered as one of the best Ford drivers ever to race in Australia and when on the race track he was tough as nails to beat.
Them were the Hey days from 1968 on and I do not remember anyone from kids to grand mothers that did not find Bathurst a big deal it was like a religion with all going and the banter between Holden and Ford not to mention even some Valiant fans ! I loved every bit of it all back them days, but sadly I can't stand any of the new type racing nowadays as it has nothing to do with what that type of racing was all about.
Spectators would be really devoted to such and you could real whine them up in an instant on the track side and get a emotional response back, it was f ing truly classic ! I am still laughing at some of the responses we got back, I will say to one who was their at the time remember that dude, and we will laugh that hard, oh the story's.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post