Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-11-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default URGENT - Steering Issues

Dropping the car at the mechanic in a few hours but wanted to check the general consensus here first.

After doing a brisk uturn at a roundabout on Sunday, suddenly the steering started making a quite loud grinding sound. You can also feel the vibration from it through the floor.
* If the car is stopped and you turn wheel from lock to lock it will not do it
* Will not do it on slight bends. Only sharper bends such as turning into a side street or going around a round about.
* Will only do it above 20-30km/h
* Will only do it turning right
* When it does start grinding the wheel will not return to centre and requires some elbow grease put into it

Took it down to the mechanic to look over yesterday and he checked the bushes, bearings, ball joints e.t.c. and tightened all obvious bolts and it still does it. He said the rack is leaking a very small amount of fluid from the dust boot but by no means alot. Thinks the rack may be losing pressure but said with the size of the leak it would be unusual to present these symptoms.

I just want to confirm before I spend hundreds on a reco rack, that if anyone has had this issue before, and that it wouldn't be anything to do with the Speed Sensitive Steering or the Power Steering switch??

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im getting a brand new one through ford for 360 bucks with 2 years warranty and fitting it my self

Mechanic would charge bout 500 to 600 for a new rack,

Dont just replace one thing make sure they look all over ,

power steering pump

blockage in the lines

low power steering oil

You dont want to replace the rack and then have it do the same problems again

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

loss of pressure in power steering system???
Old 03-11-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
loss of pressure in power steering system???
Thats what my guy said, and thinks the rack is probably the cause. My question was very much aimed at can a Power Steering Switch or something on the Speed Sensitive Steering cause this? Only had the AU for a couple of months so still learning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd906
Dont just replace one thing make sure they look all over ,

power steering pump

blockage in the lines

low power steering oil
Definetely doesn't have low PS fluid. The others are a possibility I guess.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
Old 11-11-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just for anyone out there that has a similar problem in the future, we ended up first changing the rack since the dust boot was already leaking and figured theres a decent chance this is causing it and needs to be changed eventually anyway. Unfortunetely this didn't fix it and it was the Pump.

Was an expensive $900 exercise but at least i know now the steering is A1 and the rack isn't going to suddenly crap itself due to the leaking boot

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
Old 11-11-2009, 11:13 PM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats probably a good move anyway changeing both , you should have years of trouble free motoring.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 12:43 AM   #7
all4fordau

Good thread,
The more experiences posted on here the more help for all us other au fanatics.
Every experience counts and your input will always help someone else to diagnose their problems..........so..... THANKS!!!!
all4fordau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post