Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 07-05-2005, 01:52 AM   #1
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default Accident

**** :( just got home.
Gf came over tonight, for some reason i was feeling sick all night. anyway after watching tv and eating we decided to call it a night. on the way back i came around a long curb and put brakes on, the wheels locked up and i went straight over a gutter at around 90-100 kmph.
My right front wheels is SCREWED, and i think my tire is aswell
tiny bit of damage to front bumper and number plate.
more shaken up than anything.
Gota get a new wheel and my suspension checked.
i hope i dont need a new tire aswell, thatd really screw things up.
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2005, 05:29 AM   #2
Schmaigz
Starter Motor

Sounds like it could have been a lot worse, no one got hurt. After suspension and steering I wouldn't have thought tyres would be a big problem. Bad to happen but it could have been a lot worse and no one got hurt
Schmaigz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2005, 08:59 AM   #3
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

yeah it was ridiculous how little traction there was especialy on a main road. might have been something on the road cuz all 4 wheels lost traction and the car went sorta sideways.
had a closer look at my tyre and it is definately shagged, has a rip in it.
Now my biggest concern is suspension damage.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:07 PM   #4
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

160 for bridgestone turanza er30 195/50/15

Pretty dear, getting it on monday
Old 07-05-2005, 12:30 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Bad Luck Mitch but just remember it could always have been a lot worse. From what you said there was potential for it to result in a lot more front end damage, so I think you came out of it pretty lucky!

Just wondering though, what caused your brakes to lock up? Anything out of the ordinary?
Old 07-05-2005, 12:31 PM   #6
RichieMK6
Panther Black MK6

good t ohere u are ok dude

In development stage 2

Carnt wait for the day ,NA all the way ,9000rpm with the top down
RichieMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2005, 05:27 PM   #7
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Something ABS could have avoided???

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2005, 06:39 PM   #8
Danny
GT4.

Definitely Mitch, And here you were Canning ABS a couple days ago on the Zetec!! lol

Good to see youre ok, Hopefully the car is ok, front end damage can mean CV joints going all the time and a lot of dramas in a front wheel drive car!

good luck bud
-Dan
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2005, 09:53 PM   #9
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
here you were Canning ABS a couple days ago on the Zetec!! -Dan
karma. KAAAAAAAAARRRMA!!! py:
Cars can be fixed and replaced.
Lives cant, as long as your alive to tell the tale, that would be good enough for me. Now you have an excuse to lower your car, get new rims and even get a new front bumper (if damaged) :

Tom

Last edited by chevaps; 07-05-2005 at 09:57 PM.
chevaps is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2005, 10:34 PM   #10
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

was i bagging ABS?? cant remember that,
I was actualy really keen for the zetec because it had abs and ebd, i was probably giving you guys a hard time !! :P but in all honesty i dont think anything could have avoided this,
It had been raining on and off that night and at the time it happened the rain had stopped about 10 mins before, very slippery and oily. oh well.
luckily a brothers mate works at local car dealership network so he can get stuff for trade which will save me a little bit.

Steel wheel= 115 (usualy 165)
hubcap= 40 (usualy 56)
Bridgestone= 140 (got two quotes, this was a little cheaper)
Front and rear alignment=55

So unless there is further damage the total bill will be $350 :( im actualy lucky i didnt have my car lowered because it would of been collected on the medium strip and i would of been up for more money, also there would of been more chance of underbody damage wouldnt there?
Old 08-05-2005, 12:58 AM   #11
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Sucks to hear about the problem, hope you get it resolved quickly... :(

Just a note, ABS only works if you actually lost traction due to braking, it does not give you extra grip if you were going to lose traction due to going to fast in the conditions, or there was oil on the road. It simply meant the wheels would not lock from braking, the tires can still lose lateral (sideways) grip on a curve as described even if they are not locked.

However, locked wheels do have considerably less traction than rotating wheels, so ABS is good for alot of people in alot of circumstances. Just highlighting that it doesn't solve all traction related problems.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2005, 01:27 AM   #12
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Stability Control would have made a much greater difference, rather than ABS there, but again, there's no substitute for cautious driving or slowing down for corners. Not implying you weren't, but perhaps taking a corner at the speed limit wasn't such a good idea in retrospect! Glad to hear you're OK and that you didn't roll the car when you hit the kerb. Hope you have a good night sleep and rest easy, these things can scare the crap out of you when they happen!
Old 08-05-2005, 02:31 AM   #13
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get your bearings checked aswell. I ran up a gutter with my car. Was driving in first, snapped second (by coincidence on the only wet part of the road as it was winter and in the shade), instant wheelspin and slide. BANG!

Scraped the mag to shit. Didnt get it checked out and at my next service it was discovered the L/H/Front shaft bearing had collapsed (resulting in DO NOT DRIVE note at service) cost $385.20 to fix but could have led to more expensive repairs. Excessive wear on the tyre (another $180) and could have eventually broke completely. So do that as it will be costly believe me. My car has ABS so saved it from a full on whack. So in one gearshift i lost $565 due to my stupidity. I was goin bout 60km/h but jeez 90-100km/h, your lucky man.

Thankfully this is the only thing ive done in my car. Ive had a mate have all four wheels in his laser over a roundabout over a gutter nearly into a tree and also supermanned it over a median strip-Why cause he was driving like a ********!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2005, 10:55 AM   #14
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Yeah my accident could end up being an expensive one. Im guessing there will be damage to the suspension somewhere because it was such a violent hit, violent enough to completely bend and destroy a wheel, big hit.
I didnt sleep well that night, and since it happened ive had an extremely sore muscle in my back. :(
Old 08-05-2005, 02:12 PM   #15
Cypher
Fiesta Zetec

Good to see you are ok...the soreness will go away in a week or so. Get the car fully inpected as you dont want a part that has been damaged to cause another accident.
Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2005, 03:06 PM   #16
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Glad your're ok, Good luck
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2005, 12:01 AM   #17
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah good to hear your OK mate. Don't get too down yet (EDIT: even i don't know what i was trying to say), i've seen some pretty shagged wheels on otherwise ok cars!

If it's not too late, go to a doctor and get him to do a TAC injury form (or whatever it is - your doc oughtto know!), incase there are ongoing (expensive) problems with your back! (i think TAC insurance coveres single vehical incidents?)

-Stu

Last edited by dogbreath_48; 16-05-2005 at 12:04 AM.
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post