Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-01-2020, 10:01 PM   #1
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Default rego check failure and possible compensation, reprisal?

hey,
the story is, my lady friends hi lux,s ball joint ripped/fell out in Sydney centre. The car L.H. lower ball joint totally separated from the lower control arm. The car was immobilized.

Lucky the ute was travelling at 5km/h, . But getting a tow on christmas eve was expensive, and finally a tow about 100kms to my place for repair.

The problem imo is the the car was rego checked in October (2019), and that a totally rooted ball joint should have been picked up and replaced. The owner is a mature aged lady that,s unaware of car stuff. So 10 weeks after a rego check the death trap of a car collapses. in town.

Im going to see this machinic, and i think some compensation is in order. I,m mainly ****ed that this has happened and that someone could have been killed or worse, really could have happened. Not happy!

i,m just seeking options of is there a case for compensation and or reporting to the authorizes, thanks.
Mick
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2020, 10:31 PM   #2
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: rego check failure and possible compensation, reprisal?

Thats a professional indemnity thing. The car got passed because it was deemed safe at the time of inspection. Maybe something got missed, maybe it didnt and something happened in the time between inspection and failure. Who knows? The company i work for have insurance for proffesional indemnity, so a bum call that stuffs thing up. But all that stuff goes legal. Ive had times when companies call me back as in the time since i put an appliance tag on a sandwich press, someone sandwiched the cord in the press however the tag was in date. It passed at the time of inspection. Just someone decided to cook the cord beside their sandwich. There is a lot of speculation. Had it been a case of failure driving out of the driveway, yeah, a bum inspection. But time has passed and there are way to many things to void any workmanship if there is time and use involved.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2020, 11:22 PM   #3
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You pay $30 for a pink slip and you expect a full mechanical inspection?
When was the vehicle last serviced at a mechanical workshop? Let me guess, being I assume an old hilux it probably hasn't been to one for a long while.

It's nothing more than a basic safety inspection, making sure things like lights, tyres, brakes are roadworthy.
If you expect more you are kidding yourself.

I bet every year she takes it in for the inspection she's glad nothing is ever picked up on the **** box hilux, yet the time something goes wrong it's suddenly the mechanic's fault because he didn't point out that something might go wrong in 3 months time.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2020, 11:32 PM   #4
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have the same view as XR, you hope the regular inspection don't pick up unnecessary things that cost you more to keep the vehicle on the road.
10 weeks ago when the vehicle was hoisted up, that joint may have been in a state of no noticeable wear. Problem is when you hoist it up the ball joints go to a different spot than where they are at in the lowered position, so they will appear 'tighter' than they are.

It would have been a whole different case if the part had been replaced by the mechanic and it fell apart after 10 weeks or even 10 months. If the part was incorrectly fitted then the workshop would clearly be responsible, but depending on their small print perhaps only for the part, not for your breakdown, towing cost etc.
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2020, 02:18 AM   #5
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fix it, move on.
Old 25-01-2020, 07:33 AM   #6
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old Hilux?
It’s a write-off!
Head to the Toyota plate clearance sale and get a new one ;-)
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2020, 07:44 AM   #7
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
You pay $30 for a pink slip and you expect a full mechanical inspection?
When was the vehicle last serviced at a mechanical workshop? Let me guess, being I assume an old hilux it probably hasn't been to one for a long while.

It's nothing more than a basic safety inspection, making sure things like lights, tyres, brakes are roadworthy.
If you expect more you are kidding yourself.

I bet every year she takes it in for the inspection she's glad nothing is ever picked up on the **** box hilux, yet the time something goes wrong it's suddenly the mechanic's fault because he didn't point out that something might go wrong in 3 months time.
Seems to make a joke of the annual inspection thing.The inspection is suposed to find worn and unservicable items,but some testing places check the lights and tyre tread then sign off. A worn out ball joint didn,t just happen,it would have been picked up by a proper check up,maybe even 1 year earlier if the “mechanic” had had a real look.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2020, 08:36 AM   #8
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Seems to make a joke of the annual inspection thing.The inspection is suposed to find worn and unservicable items,but some testing places check the lights and tyre tread then sign off. A worn out ball joint didn,t just happen,it would have been picked up by a proper check up,maybe even 1 year earlier if the “mechanic” had had a real look.
The inspection was 3months earlier, any number of things could have happened

For all we know the wheel was in just the right spot so when the inspector tested it it was serviceable.

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2020, 09:01 AM   #9
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did she hit a pot hole any time after inspection etc.etc.
The person inspecting the vehicle is limited in what he is allowed to do when inspecting
Are you also looking at involving the manufacturer of the ball joint for not designing the joint so it couldn’t fall apart when worn or damaged
11ford11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-01-2020, 09:14 AM   #10
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
Im going to see this machinic, and i think some compensation is in order.
i,m just seeking options of is there a case for compensation and or reporting to the authorizes, thanks.
Mick
Why is it now, that when ever something does not follow a script to the letter, people point fingers and look for $$$.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2020, 09:19 AM   #11
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No chance mate. Maybe if it was the next day, but 3 months, absolutely no way.
Fix it and move on. Everything isnt always someones fault.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2020, 09:45 AM   #12
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

I had a shop do tyres and wheel alignment on my car and pointed out some things they thought were an issue but we're not and we're unrelated to what they were doing. Fast forward a few how's and car is getting a rego check and failed because of stuff done during the wheel alignment.

The inspector said it happens all the time and the first shop denied doing anything wrong claiming I messed it up driving even though the drive was 30m

Factory v8 with turbonetics 67mm turbo, haltech ecu, aeromotive and raceworks fuel system, cobra intake and a few custom bits thrown in
El Venom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2020, 10:01 AM   #13
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
The inspection was 3months earlier, any number of things could have happened

For all we know the wheel was in just the right spot so when the inspector tested it it was serviceable.
Ball joints show signs of wear a long time before they got worn enough to separate.As I said earlier,if the inspection had been done the faulty ball joint would have been found.From 40 years on the tools I know balljoints do not just fail from hitting a couple of pot holes.
Old 25-01-2020, 10:04 AM   #14
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11ford11 View Post
Did she hit a pot hole any time after inspection etc.etc.
The person inspecting the vehicle is limited in what he is allowed to do when inspecting
Are you also looking at involving the manufacturer of the ball joint for not designing the joint so it couldn’t fall apart when worn or damaged
The person inspecting is SUPPOSED to find unroadworthy parts,that is what he/she is paid to do!!
Old 25-01-2020, 10:34 AM   #15
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Welcome to the United States of Australia, where the first reaction is... compensation.
Tickford. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2020, 11:51 AM   #16
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The last pink slip I got the car was driven from the parking spot into the workshop and back. That was it.

It’s only a basic inspection, $30 doesn’t get you far. Some states don’t even have these rego inspections at all.

3 months is a long time, it’s a quarter of the way until next inspection, in which time a lot can happen.
Old 25-01-2020, 12:22 PM   #17
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Lucky no one was injured but at he same time good to know it’s not just SX Territories that have lower ball joint issues.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2020, 12:51 PM   #18
Blue Dog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What do you expect for a $30 rego inspection?
The vehicle was driven for weeks before the ball joint failed.

How are you going to prove the ball joint was defective at the time the inspection was completed?
How are you going to prove the mechanic was negligent & didn't complete a proper inspection?

Nobody would consider having an annual inspection done if wasn't a requirement for registration.

Going to be pretty funny to the casual observer when you confront the mechanic seeking compensation.
Blue Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2020, 12:56 PM   #19
Nu66et
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The person inspecting is SUPPOSED to find unroadworthy parts,that is what he/she is paid to do!!
NSW inspections haven't been $30 for a long time, they're over $40 now for a standard fee. In any case, for the workshop to make money from that they can only afford to spend 20-30 minutes on the car.
Nu66et is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2020, 01:55 PM   #20
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NSW, $42 a couple of weeks ago for my ute. I don't think that is all profit for the workshop, some of it (?) goes to the NSW Govt which sets the fee.
The workshop inspection was tyres, lights, exhaust, brake test, jack up front and give it all a good tug and shake. No more than 10 minutes.

If you think it needs more than that, go to Pedders, and pay for a full inspection.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2020, 02:24 PM   #21
Lugh

There was a thread somewhere in B-series technical I think about dropping ball joints. One bloke ran taxis and replaced ball joints regularly because he'd had them fail without signs of wear.
So even if the inspection was thorough, and there had been no incident since (I've wrecked a ball joint on a single pothole), the worn component may not have been detectable without disassembly anyway.
Old 25-01-2020, 03:26 PM   #22
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
….. go to Pedders, and pay for a full inspection.
But rob a bank first as everything will require replacement
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2020, 05:10 PM   #23
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had you engaged somebody for a fully safety inspection and report, and they failed to mention a worn bj, I'd be angry.

Problem is that people want and expect exactly the opposite for a pink slip. They don't want the car to be nit-picked, they want it to be passed, and mechanics soon get a reputation one way or another.

Plus of course, the most obvious question is did Old Mrs notice any shaking or rattling in the steering, or ought she have done.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2020, 05:34 PM   #24
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ball joints show signs of wear a long time before they got worn enough to separate.As I said earlier,if the inspection had been done the faulty ball joint would have been found.From 40 years on the tools I know balljoints do not just fail from hitting a couple of pot holes.
See I only have 32 years on the tools so obviously your WAY better than I am, but some wear in a ball joint is one thing and will pass a rego but pot holes and 3 months of use and abuse is another thing

As for ball joints don’t just fail, if you’ve been on the tools for 40years you should remember the TRW ball joint issue where holdens ended up face down in the dirt sometimes within 3 months of being installed

2 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2020, 07:29 PM   #25
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
From 40 years on the tools I know balljoints do not just fail from hitting a couple of pot holes.
I think I know which tool you're talking about.
Tickford. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2020, 08:49 PM   #26
Pis-ton broke
Banned

i,m supersized about the comments "what do you expect of thirty dollars?" Answer; I expect a safety inspection. cause that is what the inspection is about. and if its not, then it false advertising. "hey lady, this isn,t really a proper safety inspection, wink wink"

there are many people that expect and believe that its a proper safety inspection, non car people. charge $50, but do the job properly.

to me it deosn,t make sense, i got pick up on one of my number plate lights not working, and the oil catch tray (just under oil filter on landcrusier 6cyl ) had spilled oil down the block, "oh its leaking oil he says", wtf (the 1hd fte engine is bullet proof, how dare you say that). then my friends machanic passes a dangerous ball joint, go figger. they just pick the easy, stupid faults.

as for the compensation remarks, its a work ute and has caused a big problem because its not going, all because a lazy machinic didn,t do his job, if i don,t do my job, i can get the sack. how about the machinic taking responsibility for his workmanship. oh, it,ll be alright. i fcukne hate that.
Old 25-01-2020, 10:01 PM   #27
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i,m supersized about the comments "what do you expect of thirty dollars?" Answer; I expect a safety inspection. cause that is what the inspection is about. and if its not, then it false advertising. "hey lady, this isn,t really a proper safety inspection, wink wink"

there are many people that expect and believe that its a proper safety inspection, non car people. charge $50, but do the job properly.

to me it deosn,t make sense, i got pick up on one of my number plate lights not working, and the oil catch tray (just under oil filter on landcrusier 6cyl ) had spilled oil down the block, "oh its leaking oil he says", wtf (the 1hd fte engine is bullet proof, how dare you say that). then my friends machanic passes a dangerous ball joint, go figger. they just pick the easy, stupid faults.

as for the compensation remarks, its a work ute and has caused a big problem because its not going, all because a lazy machinic didn,t do his job, if i don,t do my job, i can get the sack. how about the machinic taking responsibility for his workmanship. oh, it,ll be alright. i fcukne hate that.
It’s a safety inspection that says on the day it met the criteria to be deemed roadworthy, it doesn’t warrant the car for any period it doesn’t do any repairs.

I don’t know the car, and perhaps the inspector overlooked somthing, I really don’t know, but in 3months you would think if it was ready to jump out at any moment due to ware they usually make a bit of a racket and flop about, so you would wonder why the driver didn’t get that checked out?

Even if you you know nothing about cars if it starts making a noise you get it checked out, I know my wife and son always do. Because I’m the one who gets asked to do the checking ou

3 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2020, 10:19 PM   #28
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

10 weeks in a work Ute, how many klms has it done in that time?
My dads Hilux when he was working would do 2000 klms a week.
In Vic, the rwc inspection is very comprehensive, can cost between $160-$200 but has to ensure the car is safe for 30 days

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2020, 10:38 PM   #29
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

You said it is a work ute; how many k's did it travel since the inspection?
If it was a few weeks fair enough but 3 months later! sorry to say your lady friend has no leg to stand on with compensation claim.
It sux but that's the way the cooky crumbles.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2020, 11:23 PM   #30
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
It’s a safety inspection that says on the day it met the criteria to be deemed roadworthy, it doesn’t warrant the car for any period it doesn’t do any repairs.

I don’t know the car, and perhaps the inspector overlooked somthing, I really don’t know, but in 3months you would think if it was ready to jump out at any moment due to ware they usually make a bit of a racket and flop about, so you would wonder why the driver didn’t get that checked out?

Even if you you know nothing about cars if it starts making a noise you get it checked out, I know my wife and son always do. Because I’m the one who gets asked to do the checking ou
"It’s a safety inspection that says on the day it met the criteria to be deemed roadworthy" on that day it was rooted. a flogged out ball joint will show.

the ute is basicly an a to b daliy, @about 185km round trip per day, high way travel, mature woman driver.

i cant argue that the worn ball joint didn,t show signs of bad road manners, i will be telling my friend to be aware of poor road travel/handling. and waving my finger at her.
i,m point the finger at the "road worthy inspection" as she did rely on this to have her car checked for road safety.

i think i will tell her about this post and she will see that a rego check is not worth the paper its written on.