Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-01-2020, 08:45 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Hyundai Ute to have TD I6 engine

South Korean competitor to the mighty Thailand specials is going to have a turbo diesel I6:

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...d-ranger-77682

205KW/588NM Seoul Screamer

A step in the right direction
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-01-2020, 09:56 PM   #2
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Hyundai Ute to have TD I6 engine

But, but, what about fuel economy and less weight over the front end so it handles better. That's what we want I have been told.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2020, 10:29 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

BMW needs to make a Thailand special competitor and use their 3L I6 B57 diesel engine - 293KW/760NM

https://www.bmwblog.com/2016/05/12/f...el-b57-engine/

Do a Mercedes, partner up with Ford Australia, grab a Ranger, Chuck a B57 in it and change the badge to a BMW one, job done
Old 18-01-2020, 01:59 AM   #4
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Franco, I think you have just found a new way to part rich bogans with their cash.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2020, 03:34 AM   #5
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The newly developed straight-six-cylinder turbo-diesel engine used in the GV80 has the choice of rear- or all-wheel drive,
Wow, what a revolutionary concept.

Quote:
Mr Biermann said the decision to go with a straight six over a V6 layout was an easy one: "Unlike most other car makers, we still haven't figured out how to build a decent V6."
Quote:
Mr Biermann conceded that the ute was in fact being developed by Kia, but pointed out that his version would have bigger wheels, to compensate for bogans' smaller penises.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2020, 07:02 AM   #6
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

By the time this thing gets here, the next gen Ranger will be out. So the game wil change again and all the players will need to consider what equipment and power trains they offer.

If indeed the Koreans do front with a formidable package, it will be interesting to see who will be their immediate targets. Is it the soft middle ground where price is a huge consideration?
Interesting times ahead, those without a new fresh product may find the going really tough.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2020, 11:43 AM   #7
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Mr Biermann said the decision to go with a straight six over a V6 layout was an easy one.

“It makes the smoothest power. It’s very smooth. The vibrations are less,” he said. “This new platform was already considered with that engine.” "

Nice choice. It's a winning combo as we know here on the forums.

I6 + AWD, nice again. Imagine a wagon version to take on the MUX... Inline 6 turbo diesel, take note Toyota.
Old 18-01-2020, 01:54 PM   #8
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
"Mr Biermann said the decision to go with a straight six over a V6 layout was an easy one.

“It makes the smoothest power. It’s very smooth. The vibrations are less,” he said. “This new platform was already considered with that engine.” "

Nice choice. It's a winning combo as we know here on the forums.

I6 + AWD, nice again. Imagine a wagon version to take on the MUX... Inline 6 turbo diesel, take note Toyota.
For commercial / 4x4 applications couldn't agree more!!! I watch a YouTube channel specifically about Prados and they have a problem of cracking pistons. People put a chip in them then load them up with gear and tow a three tonne caravan..... it's a 2.7 tonne 4x4 to begin with. Same with the zd30 Granade issues..... it's a big heavy vehicle.

Any 4x4 vehicle that is used to carry weight or tow heavy should be fitted with a 6 cylinder engine. These 4 cylinder small capacity engines are getting over worked by people who should have bought a larger vehicle.

For general tradie gear weekend camping sure.... but chipping them, then adding weight and flogging them four wheel driving.... no wonder they go pop.

There's no replacement for displacement some times.

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2020, 03:54 PM   #9
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Very interesting, I wonder if this is the first dual cab that might have comfy seats and suspension. Impressive performance values, straight 6 is definitely a superior design over a v6. So far, im impressed.

Hyundai make awesome cars these days, I expect this to be decent vehicle but gee, do they really have to persist with that split light front end? Very much not a fan.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2020, 05:12 PM   #10
351LTD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looking for replacement for my Mighty DMax ,it's been a Magic ute but with the caravan on the back it's a bit short on power when it sees a hill,have had a turbo Veloster before and had only Very good dealing when servicing etc,(unlike Ford,they never seem to learn)and 6 cylinder diesel !! If they get the pricing and reliability right they will sell heaps as per Isuzu who now need to up the Hp and ft lbs.
351LTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2020, 05:22 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
Very interesting, I wonder if this is the first dual cab that might have comfy seats and suspension. Impressive performance values, straight 6 is definitely a superior design over a v6. So far, im impressed.

Hyundai make awesome cars these days, I expect this to be decent vehicle but gee, do they really have to persist with that split light front end? Very much not a fan.
What's the bar for impressive performance values? To me the ones competing are just circle jerking around the 200KW/600NM mark, everyone's a couple of KW/NM away from each other like they've all decided on arbitrary cylinder, power and torque values and they all Bob around like turds in the bowl coming to the surface when there's too much toilet paper and it looks like she's gonna break the banks before finally flushing.

There hasn't really been anything knock it out the park since the release of the PX Ranger 9 years ago now - the PX was a generational change for Thailand specials.

We're getting excited over power figures our V8 large sedans had close to 30 years ago, sure these new diesels make more torque and use 70% less juice but it's not impressive by my standards, I'd class it more bare minimum.

This is a huge market for Australia and there's just token efforts from the big boys and the others aren't even on the map.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 18-01-2020 at 05:28 PM.
Old 18-01-2020, 06:07 PM   #12
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
BMW needs to make a Thailand special competitor and use their 3L I6 B57 diesel engine - 293KW/760NM

https://www.bmwblog.com/2016/05/12/f...el-b57-engine/

Do a Mercedes, partner up with Ford Australia, grab a Ranger, Chuck a B57 in it and change the badge to a BMW one, job done
Why would BMW cheapen their brand?. Leave that to Mercedes.
Old 18-01-2020, 06:07 PM   #13
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think we will have a better chance of Kia making a nice looking ute if it is based of the appearance of the Telluride.

CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2020, 06:27 PM   #14
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
What's the bar for impressive performance values? To me the ones competing are just circle jerking around the 200KW/600NM mark, everyone's a couple of KW/NM away from each other like they've all decided on arbitrary cylinder, power and torque values and they all Bob around like turds in the bowl coming to the surface when there's too much toilet paper and it looks like she's gonna break the banks before finally flushing.

There hasn't really been anything knock it out the park since the release of the PX Ranger 9 years ago now - the PX was a generational change for Thailand specials.

We're getting excited over power figures our V8 large sedans had close to 30 years ago, sure these new diesels make more torque and use 70% less juice but it's not impressive by my standards, I'd class it more bare minimum.

This is a huge market for Australia and there's just token efforts from the big boys and the others aren't even on the map.
Its impressive as its coming from Hyundai who never really used to do anything "powerful" or large. The genesis ticks both those boxes and is a real nice machine and now there is this. Also what impresses me is the fact its a straight 6 not a V config. Other than that, based on this article, its just another dual cab.
Modern engines are sweet for performance compared to old tech. And 600nm is rather tasty although that depends how heavy the vehicle actually is and all of them in this segment are rather heavy which does blunten performance a lot. They need this output to move their fat asses along.
So really performance wise its not that impressive unless the vehicles weigh the same as old dual cabs circa 1600 1800kg.

None of the dual cabs really properly impress me properly yet (unless you wanna talk about American ones). Theyre stiff rough truck like vehicles with horrible seats and no real engine choices (not a diesel fan unless its a rigid or semi truck).
I agree Ranger is the best one of them all however. (Dad has one, awesome offroad, tows superbly, hate it for anything else. Ive put many km on it).
To me its just another fad like SUVs that one must endure till hopefully one day a decent station wagon with four wheels driving appears that isn't a diesel.

Subaru Outback '02
Old 18-01-2020, 07:56 PM   #15
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-XT View Post
There's no replacement for displacement some times.
But, but, but...juice bottles and hair dryers.
BENT_8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2020, 08:12 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
Its impressive as its coming from Hyundai who never really used to do anything "powerful" or large. The genesis ticks both those boxes and is a real nice machine and now there is this. Also what impresses me is the fact its a straight 6 not a V config. Other than that, based on this article, its just another dual cab.
Modern engines are sweet for performance compared to old tech. And 600nm is rather tasty although that depends how heavy the vehicle actually is and all of them in this segment are rather heavy which does blunten performance a lot. They need this output to move their fat asses along.
So really performance wise its not that impressive unless the vehicles weigh the same as old dual cabs circa 1600 1800kg.

None of the dual cabs really properly impress me properly yet (unless you wanna talk about American ones). Theyre stiff rough truck like vehicles with horrible seats and no real engine choices (not a diesel fan unless its a rigid or semi truck).
I agree Ranger is the best one of them all however. (Dad has one, awesome offroad, tows superbly, hate it for anything else. Ive put many km on it).
To me its just another fad like SUVs that one must endure till hopefully one day a decent station wagon with four wheels driving appears that isn't a diesel.
You're aware Hyundai has a 320KW/510NM 5L V8 in production? It's used in the Equus and V8 Genesis that's not sold in our market.

But I understand the point.
Old 18-01-2020, 08:26 PM   #17
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
You're aware Hyundai has a 320KW/510NM 5L V8 in production? It's used in the Equus and V8 Genesis that's not sold in our market.

Nope But now I do! Thanks haha

Modern v8s are super efficient, be nice to see more make a come back.

Subaru Outback '02
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2020, 08:34 PM   #18
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:

Hyundai have been doing 'big and powerful' for ages - just because we don't get them doesn't mean they don't exist.

Love the older model Equus - they looked like something a gangster would drive:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Equus

Or get driven in if you got the stretched limo version

I'm sure you could fit 3 bodies in that trunk... I mean boot

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2020, 10:42 PM   #19
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hyundai might just know a thing or two about building decent size diesels...

https://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/hyun...39-513505.html
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2020, 11:15 PM   #20
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
Hyundai might just know a thing or two about building decent size diesels...

https://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/hyun...39-513505.html
Now that is damn cool. Love it.

Im gunna wait and see what this ute is like before I palm it off with all the other ones.

Subaru Outback '02
Old 18-01-2020, 11:20 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Why would you even take that seriously?

Might throw the sarcasm tag around a bit more often.

Mercedes sold their soul teaming up with a Japanese car company that makes junk aside from one halo car, using French engines.

Slap your badge on it, throw your own underpowered V6 TDI engine in it from the Sprinter and bobs your aunty mary.

Bingo - got cashed up boomers throwing spondoolies left right and centre to hold me the **** up on the road doing 70 everywhere with their $80,000 Nissan with a Mercedes diesel and $120,000 3500kg caravan slapped together by lowly paid monkeys in Campbellfield.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 18-01-2020 at 11:30 PM.
Old 19-01-2020, 06:15 PM   #22
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Mercedes is a commercial vehicle manufacturer so I don't think it's cheapening the brand.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2020, 12:53 AM   #23
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Mercedes is a commercial vehicle manufacturer so I don't think it's cheapening the brand.
Considering the the Benz Dualcab is just a (slightly modified) Nissan Navara, with a heap of Mercedes "Tax" attached to the Price. That very People are Buying. i reckon (My opinion Only) they have cheapened their Brand...
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2020, 02:56 PM   #24
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Hyundai are working on a ute for the US market. The Santa Cruz concept version. Not a seperate chassis so it will be a pretty light duty ute. We won't see it here.

There has been no indication yet that they are even planning on doing a proper dual cab, seperate chassis ute to take on Hilux, Ranger etc.

Hyundai australia was pushing for it but all they kept saying was they are looking at it. Still all speculation at this point.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2020, 02:59 PM   #25
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Considering the the Benz Dualcab is just a (slightly modified) Nissan Navara, with a heap of Mercedes "Tax" attached to the Price. That very People are Buying. i reckon (My opinion Only) they have cheapened their Brand...
The MB ute has been a complete failure. They have sold stuff all. BMW came out later on and said they would not be following suit, and were proven correct in doing that due to the MB's poor sales.

But in saying that BMW don't do commercial vehicles, where Mercedes do a lot of them.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2020, 04:06 PM   #26
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
The MB ute has been a complete failure. They have sold stuff all. BMW came out later on and said they would not be following suit, and were proven correct in doing that due to the MB's poor sales.

But in saying that BMW don't do commercial vehicles, where Mercedes do a lot of them.
Sprinter and Vito are some of the best LCV's in their segments.
Old 20-01-2020, 07:15 PM   #27
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

Sprinter is a good package but in the USA Transit has the market
on a string.

All Ford has to do is put the 3.0 powerstroke in Ranger and Everest
and “all will be forgiven”, a lot more power and torque will give most
buyers what they’re missing, that almost petrol like quiet idle
Old 20-01-2020, 07:27 PM   #28
BAWITHLOT
XB COUPE TOO!

Quote:
South Korean competitor to the mighty Thailand specials is going to have a turbo diesel I6:

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...d-ranger-77682

205KW/588NM Seoul Screamer

A step in the right direction
Will be worth it as it will have a 7 year warranty by 2023!
BAWITHLOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2020, 09:01 PM   #29
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAWITHLOT View Post
Will be worth it as it will have a 7 year warranty by 2023!
What a lot of people don’t understand is that a seven year warranty only applies to a manufacturing defect that causes premature failure, you don’t get squat if the part is worn out.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2020, 09:13 PM   #30
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
What a lot of people don’t understand is that a seven year warranty only applies to a manufacturing defect that causes premature failure, you don’t get squat if the part is worn out.
That’s the same with every warranty, fair ware and tare are excluded

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: