Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-01-2020, 09:17 PM   #1
blakey72
Starter Motor

Default Insurance question/ideas?

Hi all. I have a 2001 Falcon Tickford AUII XR8 Ute and had it insured with RACV until recently. I hit a roo and put a claim in, they came back to me and said it's a write-off because they can't find the parts and it's only insured for a max of $3850. I basically told them to get stuffed and am looking for another insurer.

I think I want someone that will agree to a value of about $8-$10k which is probably more like what it is worth. I haven't approached Shannon's yet, just wanted to ask you guys what you go with for your older rides? What have you found best?

Cheers
Blake.
blakey72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2020, 10:35 PM   #2
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Default Re: Insurance question/ideas?

Lumley or enthusiast insurance
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2020, 02:50 AM   #3
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakey72 View Post
Hi all. I have a 2001 Falcon Tickford AUII XR8 Ute and had it insured with RACV until recently. I hit a roo and put a claim in, they came back to me and said it's a write-off because they can't find the parts and it's only insured for a max of $3850. I basically told them to get stuffed and am looking for another insurer.
You want to change insurers AFTER you smashed the car???
8 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2020, 08:18 AM   #4
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

The problem you have is even if you have an agreed value policy, (will be difficult to find the amount you are looking for) when a vehicle is assessed even if it is over insured such as what you suggest. the assessor still has to use fair and reasonable market values to work out a Total loss.

This means if the cost of the repair is more than the fair and reasonable market value , the car will become a total loss.

It just means the insurer will have to pay out the agreed value to you, and in the case of recovering from an at fault party if you are not at fault, the insurer can only recover the fair and reasonable market value regardless of what they paid out.

Recently one claim I was working on we paid out an agreed value on a vehicle of about $40,000.00 ….On my recovery file I can only recover from the other parties insurer the fair and reasonable market Value of $24,000.00

Please bear in mind the cost of the premium you pay will also greatly increase on anything over insured.

I have also done a Glasses Guide search on what you have advised your vehicle is 2001 AUII XR8 Ute

It seems RACV value of 3850 would be right around the ball park of market value

Below average $2300 Average $2700 Above Average $4200

(of course the assessor will adjust value based on a number of factors) But on face value you are getting between average and above average. For a car to be in above average condition when it is older than 10 years is not very common
5 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2020, 08:51 AM   #5
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (107.4 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by Yaw; 11-01-2020 at 08:57 AM. Reason: trying to work out adding pic
Yaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2020, 08:51 AM   #6
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9r723f3eh6...pture.JPG?dl=0
Old 11-01-2020, 10:13 AM   #7
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw View Post
The problem you have is even if you have an agreed value policy, (will be difficult to find the amount you are looking for) when a vehicle is assessed even if it is over insured such as what you suggest. the assessor still has to use fair and reasonable market values to work out a Total loss.

This means if the cost of the repair is more than the fair and reasonable market value , the car will become a total loss.

It just means the insurer will have to pay out the agreed value to you, and in the case of recovering from an at fault party if you are not at fault, the insurer can only recover the fair and reasonable market value regardless of what they paid out.

Recently one claim I was working on we paid out an agreed value on a vehicle of about $40,000.00 ….On my recovery file I can only recover from the other parties insurer the fair and reasonable market Value of $24,000.00

Please bear in mind the cost of the premium you pay will also greatly increase on anything over insured.

I have also done a Glasses Guide search on what you have advised your vehicle is 2001 AUII XR8 Ute

(of course the assessor will adjust value based on a number of factors) But on face value you are getting between average and above average. For a car to be in above average condition when it is older than 10 years is not very common

About the best post on insurance I've read for some time.
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2020, 12:33 PM   #8
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw View Post

Can you show me where in any insurance PDS it states a fair market value will over ride a agreed value?
Despite what the car is worth in real money the insurance will only ever pay out on the agreed value policy.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2020, 12:54 PM   #9
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:

I think I want someone that will agree to a value of about $8-$10k which is probably more like what it is worth. I haven't approached Shannon's yet, just wanted to ask you guys what you go with for your older rides? What have you found best?

Cheers
Blake.
You will have to take the payout they offer if it’s a agreed value policy. You have to option to buy it back minus salvage price. Salvage price will be determined by the assessors estimate it will get at auction. You can then repair the car your self and look for insurance company’s then.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
This user likes this post:
Old 11-01-2020, 01:20 PM   #10
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

r
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73 4V XB View Post
You will have to take the payout they offer if it’s a agreed value policy. You have to option to buy it back minus salvage price. Salvage price will be determined by the assessors estimate it will get at auction. You can then repair the car your self and look for insurance company’s then.
If it has been classified a total loss you won,t be able to reinsure it after repairs.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2020, 01:37 PM   #11
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
r

If it has been classified a total loss you won,t be able to reinsure it after repairs.
Yes you will, it won’t be registered on a WOVR unless it’s under 15 years old.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/regi...rite-off-types

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports

Last edited by 73 4V XB; 11-01-2020 at 01:47 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2020, 02:05 PM   #12
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shannons for sure, they have my XC insured and have agreed I can keep the wreck if something disastrous happens God forbid.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2020, 02:45 PM   #13
Blue Dog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Cheers
Blake.
"I think I want someone that will agree to a value of about $8-$10k which is probably more like what it is worth".

Don't want to rain on your parade, but.........
How could this car possibly be worth $8-$10k?
By your own admission it has been involved in an accident & sustained damage, this in itself will lower the value of the vehicle.
Blue Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2020, 03:04 PM   #14
hayseed

Quote:
I hit a roo and put a claim in, they came back to me and said it's a write-off because they can't find the parts and it's only insured for a max of $3850. I basically told them to get stuffed and am looking for another insurer.

Just out of curiosity, What's gunna happen now..???
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2020, 05:54 PM   #15
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73 4V XB View Post
Can you show me where in any insurance PDS it states a fair market value will over ride a agreed value?
Despite what the car is worth in real money the insurance will only ever pay out on the agreed value policy.

I think you are misunderstanding what I have said.

hypothetically lets say you have a car insured for $10k

The assessed value is (fair and reasonable) market value is $7k

The repairs are about $6.5 K. as clearly it is uneconomical to repair,

The car will still be a total loss...you will be paid out the $10k agreed value, but in a recovery situation eg the insurer has to recover from a third party, legally they can only recover the $7k Fair and reasonable market value. regardless of what was paid to the insured customer.

The same is true even if you are uninsured and you do your own recovery, you can only recover the fair and reasonable market value. (not what you think it is valued at)
Old 11-01-2020, 07:49 PM   #16
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Your right, I have misunderstood what you said.
However there is no third party involved, apart from skippy, hence the reasoning behind my response.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
Old 22-01-2020, 12:31 PM   #17
blakey72
Starter Motor

I ended up canceling the claim. No way they were taking it off me for $4k. The damage isn't bad so I'll do it myself what I can. New bonnet and headlight bracket. Maybe new front bar. Get someone to spray and blend.

I would say it's worth $8-$10k. I paid $7.5k and now have added and fixed a few things. AUIi XR8 utes aren't easy to come by, especially in this condition. It's not perfect but is straight as they come, no rust and zero bog.

The guy that originally owned it was a mechanic for Ford in Geelong to it's be looked after and had some handy mods/upgrades. I'm going to get an FG turbo in the next few months so the ute will be coming off the road and having a show quality rebuild. Stroke and supercharge is the plan.
Old 22-01-2020, 02:02 PM   #18
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I ended up canceling the claim. No way they were taking it off me for $4k. The damage isn't bad so I'll do it myself what I can. New bonnet and headlight bracket. Maybe new front bar. Get someone to spray and blend.

I would say it's worth $8-$10k. I paid $7.5k and now have added and fixed a few things. AUIi XR8 utes aren't easy to come by, especially in this condition. It's not perfect but is straight as they come, no rust and zero bog.

The guy that originally owned it was a mechanic for Ford in Geelong to it's be looked after and had some handy mods/upgrades. I'm going to get an FG turbo in the next few months so the ute will be coming off the road and having a show quality rebuild. Stroke and supercharge is the plan.
Just thinking here, would you have been better off letting the claim go through and buying the car back from the insurance company for the salvage value. They usually will take this out of hte payout figure.

You could of then had some cash to fix the car yourself and being older than 15 years, it would not be on the WOVR register.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2020, 02:32 PM   #19
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Lucky you are in Vic in this instance.
If it was NSW ... forget about it.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2020, 06:37 PM   #20
blakey72
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
Just thinking here, would you have been better off letting the claim go through and buying the car back from the insurance company for the salvage value. They usually will take this out of hte payout figure.

You could of then had some cash to fix the car yourself and being older than 15 years, it would not be on the WOVR register.
Yeah maybe should have but didn't know I could do this at the time. Ended up getting Shannons insurance fully comp, agreed $8k. Pretty happy with that.
Old 22-01-2020, 07:14 PM   #21
sr71

You could still go back to RACV and do the claim. They'll have documented the claim, even though you withdrew from claiming. You've got a 7 year period. I've recently claimed on a neighbour's tree falling on a car, from August 2016 (NRMA, in NSW). It was an old policy too.
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2020, 10:51 PM   #22
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Insurance often seem to be on the low value side
First (and last time) I had a policy at "market value" and had to claim I went through the same thing
Refused to accept their small offer, it was instantly raised by 20%
So I asked them to replace my vehicle "like for like"
Oh we don't do that, you mean there isn't a single similar on any sales site even close in price to what you offered ?
They ended up repairing it