Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-01-2016, 07:52 PM   #31
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Dealer vs Normal Mechanic

Im a mechanic, and in 20 years ive never had to or been encouraged to up sell to customers. In fact ive told people that whether they spend $1 or $1000 on their car is completely irrelevant to me or my employer.
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2016, 08:00 PM   #32
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would rather buy a car that has been serviced by a real mechanic (who knows something about cars) than the shaved chimps who make up the majority of the service teams I have encountered at ford and Holden dealers.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2016, 08:00 PM   #33
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321 View Post
I don't know what kind of independent's you've been going to, but $500 is alot for a service. My independent does the equivalent service for $200-$300.
Yeah, I was a bit WTF? But reality is I normally do it myself and it was an Audi. First time in years I had a car serviced. I serviced the car myself other times and its no different than a Ford. But I reckon he sees Audi and price goes up.

Finding a mechanic is hard, every time I use one I don't go back..
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-01-2016, 08:30 PM   #34
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

I had new rotors fitted to the front of my FPV ute, new pads, new rear pads and an oil change last thursday. I supplied rotors and pads (brembo brakes x 4) and oil, mechanic supplied oil filter and helped me fit a new drivers side window winder to it after it came off the hoist I supplied the new motor. I removed the trims etc @2hours labour we chatted while he worked I looked at putting some cable ties around the exhaust hanger rubbers while it was on the hoist to straighten it up again, checked a few other things $250.00 cash no receipt some of you guys need to get to know your local repair guys. I have been going to this place for over 20 years, he has worked on all my cars, owns his own shop sure its a bit old and so is he, he has a new hoist was fitted last year, it has no cafe latte bar and its not all that tidy, but he looks after his regulars plus rego checks are easy when he looks at the car every 6 months or so, he knows I have things fixed as they come up the damn window crapped over christmas. Now if I had gone to Kloster Ford in newcastle, no social interaction, no you pull the trims off and I will help you change the window motor, and definitely no discount for cash and no dockets. Old school mechanic it will be a sad day when he retires and leases out the shop he keeps telling me thats the plan. He also has beautiful RHD 66 stang under a cover down the back he fully converted and restored this some 15 years or so ago its mint so we always talk ford cars…lol..

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2016, 08:58 PM   #35
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Yeah, I was a bit WTF? But reality is I normally do it myself and it was an Audi. First time in years I had a car serviced. I serviced the car myself other times and its no different than a Ford. But I reckon he sees Audi and price goes up.

Finding a mechanic is hard, every time I use one I don't go back..
You think being an Audi makes the price go up? Apparently something that floats does too.
I was recently quoted $400 plus parts to service my Mercruiser powered ski boat!
Essentially a vortec chev, so an oil change, filters and grease the prop shaft gland,
I did it myself in 45mins and about $60 for oil and filters.
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2016, 09:09 PM   #36
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I get my work car serviced at the dealer, fixed price and I claim it all

I recently had the 45k service done and 132k after I get a noise from the front brakes.

I pulled a wheel and noticed my wear indicator was touching on the front and a poopyenth off touching the rear (impressed as normally I do the fronts then the rear never at the same time ) but ****ed I needed brakes at 45,000km

Any how I checked the service docet that told me I had 40% left on the front and 60% on the rears

Clearly they weren't checked
I then took the car to a independent workshop and had the pads replaced

Won't be taking it back to that dealer **** the fixed price servicing.

If they don't even check the brakes what else do they skip???

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2016, 10:05 PM   #37
Windsor220
Now Fordless

For the guys that take their car to an independent mechanic, do you get a logbook service done or just a standard service every time? Even when its out of warranty I'm talking about.

Back when I was at the dealer what we found was a lot of people would get it serviced by someone else but they would just do the basics so after a few years there would be dramas with the car. Clogged up filters, valve clearances never adjusted, injectors never calibrated, outdated ECU software etc.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2016, 12:02 AM   #38
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Only times I have been to the dealer is during warranty for things to be sorted by the dealer itself ... may have had the servicing done (Winford Ford was good though and looked after me as a customer).

Also things that needed specific alignment (front shaft to front diff on Territory comes to mind) .... had to get that done by Ford as they had the calibration equipment to do so.

Other than that ... I do the run of the mill stuff at home ... and anything more I go through my trusted mechanic.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2016, 12:39 AM   #39
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went into a Ford dealer today (went in to leave my name incase an F6 R-Spec is in one of their yards) and checked how much a 150k service for my F6X would be. $580. I asked what was changed, and they said oil, filter and plugs. I asked surely there is something else. Nope, the rest was 'check' items. A local mechanic said under 160 for the same service (may be abit more as i use a specific brand of oil)
STEALTHY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2016, 01:12 AM   #40
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to get my cars serviced at dealerships but got sick of cleaning up grease stains from the seats, steering wheel and carpet and taking it back when they damaged something. I remember picking my car up and the front bumper was hanging off one side, they popped it back on and in the process damaged it . I made them pay for the repair but I didn't have the car for 4 days. Then there was another time when they had to replace a faulty seat rail and damaged the steering wheel trying to get the seat out. They replaced the wheel but my white leather interior had dirty overall marks on it from the Neanderthal sitting in it while changing the wheel . So they were about to clean it with prepsol when I told them to **** off.

I have tried several dealers and basically none of them gave a **** about looking after the car . Some didn't ever service the car as per the schedule having found this out after taking it to a private mechanic and viewing the condition of the air cleaner element and the colour of the coolant in the radiator. In end I found a really good mechanic who looks after my cars as if they were his own and I've never looked back . Money hasn't been a factor , it's about looking after my ride
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2016, 01:20 AM   #41
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katefactor View Post
The other side is as a buyer would you put more value on a car that has been regularly dealer serviced from new
Unfortunately I agree,most people that buy second hand cars know nothing about cars or mechanics and would instantly think genuine servicing is better and means its always been done correctly...
Just because a mechanic works at a stealership it doesn't mean hes good at his job.
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2016, 01:26 AM   #42
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
I went into a Ford dealer today (went in to leave my name incase an F6 R-Spec is in one of their yards) and checked how much a 150k service for my F6X would be. $580. I asked what was changed, and they said oil, filter and plugs. I asked surely there is something else. Nope, the rest was 'check' items. A local mechanic said under 160 for the same service (may be abit more as i use a specific brand of oil)
That guy would go broke. The parts alone are going to be around $100
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2016, 02:05 AM   #43
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy View Post
I would rather buy a car that has been serviced by a real mechanic (who knows something about cars) than the shaved chimps who make up the majority of the service teams I have encountered at ford and Holden dealers.
This. And Mitsubishi is worse!
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2016, 02:36 AM   #44
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
That guy would go broke. The parts alone are going to be around $100
Its only oil and filter, the plugs were done last service and dont need to be done
He doesn't need to be on $100 an hour ;)
Old 13-01-2016, 07:54 AM   #45
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
Its only oil and filter, the plugs were done last service and dont need to be done
He doesn't need to be on $100 an hour ;)
Sounds too cheap...$100/h min if he has a workshop, hoist and tools. not like 100 goes into his pocket as his pay.

I'll call ford today for price on service for F6 and list of things they do.
Old 13-01-2016, 08:03 AM   #46
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

**** need to up our prices here. NZD$70hr +GST.
Old 13-01-2016, 08:52 AM   #47
LTDHO
The one and only

After being in a dealer mechanical shop on a few occasions, I see no benefit in getting them to do any work. Unless you 'have' to in order to keep your warranty. In saying that you will find a better workshop that can stamp a Ford book and not effect your warranty.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2016, 08:54 AM   #48
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sounds too cheap...$100/h min if he has a workshop, hoist and tools. not like 100 goes into his pocket as his pay.

Its pretty much the same price as what i was paying my regular mechanic in SA.

How long would he take on a oil change anyway? 15 minutes? 30 minutes?

I saw the list for F6X, there were 3 items changed, and the rest of the two pages were 'check' items.
Old 13-01-2016, 10:38 AM   #49
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy View Post
100%

More times than not it's a teenage mutant ninja apprentice working on your car and you're paying $120+ an hour for the privilege. Makes no sense. And even when you take a car in solely for warranty, half the time they cannot fault it, or "they all do that", or they identify the problem and fail to fix it. Absolute waste of time.

I've never had a private mechanic blatantly try to upsell me something I didn't need. Whereas every time I'm at a dealer, car needs upper engine clean. Car needs brake fluid. Car needs brake pads. Car needs coolant flush. Car needs throttle body clean. Car needs tyres. Car needs alignment. Car needs wheel balance. Car needs wiper blades. Car needs chassis clean. Car needs air filter. Regardless of whether it actually needs the items or not. I've had a Ford service adviser tell me I needed new brake pads and fluid when I had replaced those items literally the day before the service. Never a dull moment at dealerships.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2016, 11:30 AM   #50
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

I have four different mechanics that I have accumulated over a long period of time. One for my old school cars, one (ex Ford Foreman) for my AU's and BF, one for my LPG cars, and the Ford dealership for cars under warranty, the dealer I have been with for a long time (since my BF was new) and have a good relationship with, they know that I'm a little handy with cars and don't try to tell me BS stories.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2016, 12:06 PM   #51
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
$570 oil and filter only, tension exhaust manifold and turbo bolts. NO plugs.

You get a "free" car for the day and obviously a ford stamp in the book.

I did an oil Filter change 4,000kms took about 20 minutes and cost $80 bucks in consumables.
Old 13-01-2016, 01:30 PM   #52
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

$570 .
3 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2016, 02:43 PM   #53
Bipolar
I'm back. Same car.

I had a workmate tell me years ago after he contacted Fair Trading that as long as you have proof and/or receipts that you've done all the items in the log book service, you can do it all yourself without voiding warranty.

What tactics have people had from dealerships trying to rope them into a 'service agreement'?
Bipolar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2016, 02:44 PM   #54
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR View Post
**** need to up our prices here. NZD$70hr +GST.
Please don't. People like me still cry at those prices

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2016, 03:00 PM   #55
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there is still plenty of w/shops charging $80-$90 plus GST
$160 is right, although a falcon takes a bit more oil
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2016, 03:32 PM   #56
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think I just changed my mind....I'll service myself, I'll even remove and check plugs save myself 500 bucks
3 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2016, 03:58 PM   #57
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think too many car ownes get sucked in by the pages of gumph that come with the service invoice.The average service should take about 1hr max.When the car is being put on the hoist all the rear lights get checked then on the hoist out with the sump plug,do a few visual checks and give the exhaust and wheels a bit of a shake.Off with the filter on with the new filter,in with the plug ,back on the ground.Fill with oil,wander round with the lube stick,check fluid levels then write out a 1/2 page checklist report and put $427.85 on the bottom of the page
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2016, 04:04 PM   #58
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

My mechanic is great. Dropped a cell in the missus battery. He ticked it up on my bill. Easy as. I went around to his shop fitted it up. If I need something done, he fits me in on the day. Sends me the bill in the mail a few weeks later.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2016, 04:20 PM   #59
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
I think too many car ownes get sucked in by the pages of gumph that come with the service invoice.The average service should take about 1hr max.When the car is being put on the hoist all the rear lights get checked then on the hoist out with the sump plug,do a few visual checks and give the exhaust and wheels a bit of a shake.Off with the filter on with the new filter,in with the plug ,back on the ground.Fill with oil,wander round with the lube stick,check fluid levels then write out a 1/2 page checklist report and put $427.85 on the bottom of the page
so you dont think they take the wheels off, check brakes, adjust h/brake if needed, check front end, engine mounts ect?
there is a bit more to it than wandering around
if so go elsewhere
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2016, 04:45 PM   #60
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
For the guys that take their car to an independent mechanic, do you get a logbook service done or just a standard service every time? Even when its out of warranty I'm talking about.

Back when I was at the dealer what we found was a lot of people would get it serviced by someone else but they would just do the basics so after a few years there would be dramas with the car. Clogged up filters, valve clearances never adjusted, injectors never calibrated, outdated ECU software etc.
Logbook, if I'm asking for my car to be serviced I expect its going to be done as per book.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post