Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-01-2014, 11:57 PM   #1
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Thumbs up Geelong Museum of Motoring

G'Day all,

Hopefully opening later this year is the Geelong Museum of Motoring. Check out the old Ford Discovery Centre Facebook Page for updates. My apologies for not being to directly post a link from the Tablet.

Great news for Motoring Enthusiasts and Geelong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2014, 12:02 AM   #2
Focused

Default Re: Geelong Museum of Motoring

Here you go: https://www.facebook.com/geelongmuseumofmotoring
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2014, 12:03 AM   #3
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Thanks Focused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2014, 12:15 AM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Got the link

Yes its very good news for the town and automotive fans. Went to the old FDC a couple of times, including the 100th Bday and gave good memories.

When back I would love to take the kids. Is this funded at all by Ford? Would be a nice parting gesture anyway.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-01-2014, 08:25 AM   #5
lupin

I go past it everyday. Can't say I've seen much action there. Might pay a little more attention now though.

White WRX owner
lupin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2014, 03:51 AM   #6
coupedup
Starter Motor

I must get in and have a look when it opens. I was in Geelong with my car at the Ford 75th year in Australia celebrations but didn't make it to the centre on the Sunday. Number 2 daughter unwell and we pretty much sat with her and the car in the Eastern beach car park before heading home a little earlier than expected. It would be cool to leave your car there for a while but I would not want it getting damaged - look up what happened to the Corvettes in the museum in USA. You have got to feel for the owners.
coupedup is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2015, 10:35 AM   #7
I6DOHC

Just got back from a road trip to Victoria from Qld on the weekend, and the museum was one of my stops on the way through Geelong so I thought I might give this thread a bit of a bump. The folk there at the new Museum are starting to piece it all together by the looks of things, and do have some of the old Ford Discovery Centre displays.

After chatting with one of the gents who were operating the place it sounds like getting hold of other of the bits & pieces of the FDC is proving 'challenging'. They are quite motivated to ensure the displays/items from the FDC are preserved, but whether that feeling is mutual between the parties giving/receiving is another thing. It sounds like there may be some hurdles.

Given the heart of our automotive manufacturing heritage is about to die in this country, probably never to return, anything that can be done to preserve the history has to be a good thing in my opinion.

As a group of passionate Ford fans here on AFF, I think we really need to try and support their efforts. Living here in QLD means the best thing I could do was visit & pay the entrance fee & have a good poke around while I was there and now raise some awareness. Hopefully more forum members can do the same. It will only get better over time as they piece more of the displays together....and one display that really needs to be constructed is an FG/FG-X one to properly bookend the Ford (AUSTRALIA) history.

NB - Would have also loved to do a factory tour of both manufacturing plants while down in Melbourne, but have been told by Ford that they no longer do them. Would also have paid an entrance fee for that.
I6DOHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-04-2015, 04:39 PM   #8
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When they close for good, they should have open days to look through all the whole process.
I want to see the engine foundry and all the workings casting and all.
I will be down their like a shot.

When it's gone that's it, another sad loss to what was once a fine nation of hope and pride, gone for ever.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2015, 09:11 PM   #9
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
When it's gone that's it, another sad loss to what was once a fine nation of hope and pride, gone for ever.
Spot on, every one that that thinks they are a two bob millionaire due to the fact our high wages can buy lots of cheap crap are going to be in for a rude shock within a few years. We have two choices, become a high value economy (not looking good) or face wage and asset devaluation (likely out come).
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2020, 05:58 PM   #10
Fairlane 500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did a big road trip over the last couple of weeks & went in for a look at the Geelong Museum of Motoring.

It's not huge but well worth a look, it's run by a bunch of retired Ford enthusiasts who are volunteers & passionate about the Ford brand.

I was talking to a guy called Lindsay who seemed to be in charge, a great bloke & very knowledgable, he worked for at the Ford factory for over 40 years.

They have some interesting cars (On loan from FoMoCo) in there ranging from the first XK built to the last Falcon XR8 Sprint made in Australia.

(I particularly liked an old 302 V8 ZC Fairlane survivor car complete with under dash aftermarket A/C, LPG, big tow bar, cb radio & more.
I could just imagine the old aussie owner going off with his big caravan on the back.)

They have some stuff in there from the old Ford Discovery Centre.

They also have Mr Henry Ford's original desk & some other stuff from USA.

I reckon it's a well worthwhile visit for any Ford enthusiast.

P.S. For the information of anyone who has not been in recent years,
Geelong is a very pretty town to visit, has a great bay, pier & lots of great eating places.

Even my girlfriend really enjoyed everything about the place.

They also have a facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/geelongmuseumofmotoring/

Last edited by Fairlane 500; 19-01-2020 at 06:11 PM.
Fairlane 500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2020, 06:49 PM   #11
Fairlane 500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane 5OO View Post
They have some interesting cars (On loan from FoMoCo) in there ranging from the first XK built to the last Falcon XR8 Sprint made in Australia.
^^^^^^ Sorry too late to edit......

To be clear, not all the exhibits are owned by the Ford Motor Company.

They have lots of other exhibits as well.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2020, 10:37 PM   #12
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great to hear mate. I reckon the ZC would probably stand out to me as well, Ford had such good product back then.

Will have to go have a look.
Old 22-01-2020, 09:05 AM   #13
Fairlane 500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Great to hear mate.
I reckon the ZC would probably stand out to me as well, Ford had such good product back then.

Will have to go have a look.
Yeah, that old Fairlane is like a real piece of old Australiana.

In fact walking in the front door of the Geelong Museum of Motoring felt a bit like doing a trip back home to Australia.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2020, 02:28 PM   #14
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol so true

Probably my favourite Ford era, though I like pretty much all of the Falcon years. Lucky to have saved an XW 302 Fairmont, all the chrome, the castellations on the bonnet, all the curves - sometimes I just go and look at it and it makes me smile. Even the dash looks fantastic. It's like a, well, museum piece!

I smile less when I bump my hip into the door handles, however... they are solid!
Old 22-01-2020, 05:24 PM   #15
5thFordWA

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Glad to catch this thread, I didn't realise they had put in something to replace the Ford Discovery Centre. Noted for a visit next time I'm over that way.

Cheers.
2016 SZ Territory TX 4.0 Petrol (6th & last?)(Sadly, written off)
2004 WRX (Retirement Toy)
5thFordWA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: