Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-11-2006, 10:10 PM   #1
Crash Lander

Default AUII Fairmont troubles.

Hi guys.
My old man has an AUII Fairmont, and has had heaps of trouble with it. It's been converted to LPG.
Current issues are:

Petrol mileage. Currently getting 15-16 L/100km. I've told him to change the O2 Sensor. However, I'm not certain this is all of the problem. He said when he started it the other day, the revs just kept rising by themselves, and wouldn't stop. He had to turn off the key to stop it. Re-started the engine straight away with no problems.
Also, the other day, he was driving along with the cruise control on, and started to run out of LPG, so he switched over to petrol without disabling the cruise control. When it switched to petrol, the car took off, well past the set cruise speed. He said it took off faster than he could ever make it take off. He's always said the car is pretty gutless. He said if he'd planted his foot, the car would not have taken off as fast as it did when this happened.
One mechanic has said it sounds like an engine management system problem. Does this sound right? This same mevhanic told my dad he didn't believe that I get 750-800km regularly out of a tank of petrol in my AUI Forte. Ideas?

Old 29-11-2006, 11:02 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

im taking a real stab but could it be throttle cable related i.e. is it sticking etc
Old 29-11-2006, 11:56 PM   #3
Crash Lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
im taking a real stab but could it be throttle cable related i.e. is it sticking etc
That's what dad thought too, but tapping the accelerator to try and free the possibly sticking cable made no difference,and it doesn't really explain the surge of power in cruise control that continued well past the set cruise speed.
Old 30-11-2006, 09:53 AM   #4
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Lander
Hi guys.
This same mevhanic told my dad he didn't believe that I get 750-800km regularly out of a tank of petrol in my AUI Forte. Ideas?
Neither do I!

350-450km around Sydney is what get!
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 12:33 PM   #5
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I get around 500km a tank around Sydney. But O2 sensor has died and am not getting that anymore.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 07:08 PM   #6
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Lander
It's been converted to LPG.
thats the problem :hihi:

Quote:
This same mevhanic told my dad he didn't believe that I get 750-800km regularly out of a tank of petrol in my AUI Forte. Ideas?
i dont beleive that either =| what sort of driving? country? cause that would make sense.

economy is slightly worse with LPG, so the 15-16L /100km sounds about right. just LPG is much cheaper than petrol. thats where the saving is.

i was also under the impression that you shouldnt switch between LPG/Petrol modes while the car is moving/drving. but i could be wrong.
Old 30-11-2006, 07:54 PM   #7
Crash Lander

Better believe it fellas 'cos I get it every week. A lot of the drive to work is 100kph, and so is dad's trip to work.
My DTE and distance travelled numbers always add to at least 750km. On country runs, it goes up to over 900km DTE. Just driving to Melbourne from Geelong raises it up to low 800's. I find the DTE in my car is quite accurate. I've often had it down to under 50km DTE and still had enough fuel to get down the shops,and to the servo.
The 15-16L / 100km in the Fairmont is the petrol figure! The LPG figure is understandably worse than that.
Old 30-11-2006, 07:57 PM   #8
Crash Lander

The last time I checked my actual mileage based on litres used and km travelled, I got 8.35 L/100km. That was after a country run from Geelong to Port Fairy. About a 2.5 hour drive at 100kph. I average around 9L/100km.
Old 30-11-2006, 09:07 PM   #9
Faded_Mantis

My DTE when I fill up says about 650-700km, but it doesn't take to long to right it's self, I get about 550-600km per tank in my AUI, but most of my driving is open road speed (100km/h)
Faded_Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 09:57 PM   #10
Crash Lander

At the moment, I've done 638km on this tank. My DTE is showing 127km. The fuel guage is showing a bit under half way between empty and one quarter. What can I say