Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-05-2021, 10:49 AM   #1
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Setting up wifi system

Hi everyone

Wish to setup a wifi system sort of a mesh system like the motels and shopping centres do where they have more than one access point on same network, password, everything.

With that setup when you go from one area to other it switches from one access point to other seemless without messing anything up or videos and downloads restarting and you don’t know it’s just switched over

Also it has one wifi name for 2.4g and 5g

What would be the best way to go about that.

Will probably have atleast one access point in house, one in back room, one outside and one in each shed.

There are those ceiling points and there are those mesh systems and there are routers that work as one mesh.

Could you plug a router into the existing nbn modem and run all points off that and leave the old wifi settings as they are in the current modem, will the new setup mess up the old wifi settings.

Just wondering and thought there might be computer people on here that might know.

Thanks
car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2021, 11:25 AM   #2
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Setting up wifi system

We've got a business and we were set up with a Microtik router and 2 Microtik WAPs. That was set up to cover ~550m2.
It can be configured to have separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5Ghz.
It uses RouterOS.
Old 14-05-2021, 11:35 AM   #3
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey View Post
We've got a business and we were set up with a Microtik router and 2 Microtik WAPs. That was set up to cover ~550m2.
It can be configured to have separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5Ghz.
It uses RouterOS.
Hi are you able to pm a rough diagram of your setup
Old 14-05-2021, 11:36 AM   #4
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it possible to have a whole new network and/or a new mesh system and plug a router into the nbn modem and run all access points off that and leave the existing wifi settings as is

Rough diagram

nbn modem (leave old wifi settings as is) ———router or wired hub ——— access points

Will that work
Old 14-05-2021, 01:57 PM   #5
creative
I am Batman

literally setting ours up at work now as we have got to big for the consumer grade stuff.

Mikrotik router/modem into 2 x ubiquiti 48 port managed switches and ubiquity nano HD AP in various points in our office with meshing set up for the wifi.

Guess it depends on budget as well as skill level ( Im new to all this so learning as I go! )

at Home I am also ditching the consumer grade stuff and installing a DM200 modem ( literally just to connect to the net and bridged) into a homebuilt pfsense router, 1 x 24port POE switch and 2 x ubiquiti in wall hd AP for the wifi ( 1 upstairs, 1 downstairs). I also run an Unraid server at home that takes take of my document and media requirements.

You can use your existing modem/router and just add AP's like the nano HD's, turn off the modems inbuilt wifi and do everything through the AP's

Note the AP's are not repeaters. They need a POE cable to their location so may not be suitable for your sheds.
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere

Last edited by creative; 14-05-2021 at 02:07 PM.
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2021, 02:32 PM   #6
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
literally setting ours up at work now as we have got to big for the consumer grade stuff.

Mikrotik router/modem into 2 x ubiquiti 48 port managed switches and ubiquity nano HD AP in various points in our office with meshing set up for the wifi.

Guess it depends on budget as well as skill level ( Im new to all this so learning as I go! )

at Home I am also ditching the consumer grade stuff and installing a DM200 modem ( literally just to connect to the net and bridged) into a homebuilt pfsense router, 1 x 24port POE switch and 2 x ubiquiti in wall hd AP for the wifi ( 1 upstairs, 1 downstairs). I also run an Unraid server at home that takes take of my document and media requirements.

You can use your existing modem/router and just add AP's like the nano HD's, turn off the modems inbuilt wifi and do everything through the AP's

Note the AP's are not repeaters. They need a POE cable to their location so may not be suitable for your sheds.
what would happen if you did above but leave the old wifi turned on and you had your own network using the above or similar
Old 14-05-2021, 03:58 PM   #7
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our Microtik router does the PPP connection as we're using a WiMax connection, but there is probably nothing stopping you from using your old modem to do the PPP connection and the router to just handle the Wi-fi.

Our set up literally is MT Router -> Access Points. It's very simple and basic.

The Microtik gear uses RouterOS which is quite powerful in that you can configure quite a lot of different things. It's not for the light hearted though. I'm an IT developer and it seems quite daunting to me when I looked in to changing the setup. (We had a 3rd party company come and set it up for us)

If you want to leave your old wifi running, then there is probably nothing stopping that from happening. Just be careful that you don't get either saturated with wifi signals, or that you get the two overlapping on the same channel.