Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default What defines MUSCLE in muscle car ???

What defines MUSCLE ???

Is it because it has a V8 ,a 6 pot or even a 4 pot ?
There are some tuff factory V8s of course, but there a some tuff factory sixes, and lets not forget the cosworth sierra
Maybe it has to be quick down the 1/4 mile, maybe good top end,maybe just that G force into the seat when the load pedal is pushed

Alot of us are ol school and cherise our ol V8s, they have that ol persona of muscle
But compared to a new high tech 6/4 pot, they will get beaten to 100, beaten down the quarter (generally ,lets not forget the GXL 351 1/4 mile times, you could near run faster )
I know its not the same, but im not asking whats better to drive or gets more attention
What defines MUSCLE in muscle cars ???

302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What defines MUSCLE in muscle car ???

Muscle car is generally defined by a big engine in a small car. Its got much more power than is needed at any given time. Nowdays its pretty much anything with the latter, more power than needed and the attitude to go with it
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Oh the golden oldie!

A muscle car doesnt need to be the fastest car on the road, its size can vary, and its harder these days to define as rules and regs pretty much cancel out any potential for factory muscle per se.

Well thats just my opinion, but, our local cars still have a bit of mongrel about them. Even though its a supreme machine, I would find it hard to class say a new M5 as muscle. Even though it obviously would spank anything from the 70's etc.

Muscle cars just have a x-factor thats hard to measure, kind of like the cool wall on topgear.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

N/A V8 or multiple carburetored 6 cyls. NO turbos. As for "small" cars with "big" engines i'm bending the rules- BIG car (2140kg's, BIG engine 500cid!)
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

It's hard to say these days. The old-school American definition was a big block engine in a two-door midsized car.

It probably makes more sense to judge by performance, but I wouldn't consider a Nissan GTR a muscle car.

Seems like a muscle car should at least have a back seat. And something ridiculously primitive, such as drum brakes, a live axle, crank windows, or loud graphics and scoops and spoilers.

Plus it can't be Japanese.
Old 20-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
FTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a factory car with a tuff image. Lots of cars today wouldn't be seen as musclecars yet but given time they'll fit into it. For instance a W427 I wouldnt call a musclecar but it has the right ingredients for the future to become one. So too the F6 or supercharged GT. But this is a few years from now
FTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeap IMO "muscle car" is a term that should be used for old school. I would call the modern stuff performance cars, as they really do everything well, 70's muscle go well (for the time) in a straight line, juts dont ask them to stop in a hurry or go around a corner in a sensible fashion..LOL
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #8
Majestic

a muscle car in my opinion is an old skool cars that were high performance cars at their time of release - aussie examples are GT's, Monaros, A9x toranas, charger etc.. plenty of american examples out there too. That's just what I think anyways.

My 12yo son's definition of a muscle car is an old car that looks mean and only goes fast in a straight line lol
Old 20-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

true muscle car = heavy clutch, no power steering, carburetored engine, powerful engine, lumpy tempremental engine that needs constant tuning, goes like stink, 8/10 mpg or less, brakes on up to 50 % of the performance, styling with attitude, paint, garish stripes, racing heritage .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Muscle Cars to me have always been 70's era of cars.

I am talking - X series Falcons, Toranas, Monaros of the 70's.

Todays cars are Performance cars in my eyes. Modern technology and a take off that makes your toes curl, your fingers dig into the arm rests and your neck just about snap off! They go great! but don't have the same feel for me.

There is nothing like hearing the sound of a 70's X Series car with a V8.

But then again, I could be a little bit bias.

Cheers
Col
Old 20-01-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
Trek
Blue blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic
a muscle car in my opinion is an old skool cars that were high performance cars at their time of release - aussie examples are GT's, Monaros, A9x toranas, charger etc.. plenty of american examples out there too. That's just what I think anyways.

My 12yo son's definition of a muscle car is an old car that looks mean and only goes fast in a straight line lol
Good examples and your son is pretty close, I think!

To put it simply, from what I read/hear from others:

-Carby V8/worked 6 pot, a la Hemi, etc.
-Chrome Bumpers
-'bad' brakes
-Generally no P/S
-No A/C
-Rarely or wasn't optioned with power windows
-Predates 1980
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #12
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon it's a car that is "basic" with a big heart (engine) and real road presence.

So no luxuries, no power windows, heated / massage seats, ponsy traction control / raw control / pitch sensors blah blah bulldust.

Just a nice big meaty motor up front. Manual gearbox, drive to the rear of the car, and a driver.

I agree that todays fast cars can be labelled "performance cars" as that is what they are, not muscle cars.
Old 20-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #13
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Unfortunatley, for cars like Tweeked's 351R GT, Tex's SCUD and my own Terminator, there is just too much plastic to even go there.

I could take 99% (i'd say 100 but there's always someone crazier than you ) of people on this forum out in my AU and bring them back a very changed person....

But that dont make it a Muscle car right now... too much brakes, luxury and plastic IMO. Give it 20 years and the world will be a different place.

1967-1983 for Fords in Aus.... the XE ESP is the last definable Ford muscle car IMO

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #14
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A big engine, and a disctinct lack of plastic anywhere on the body. IMO muscle cars is an era-specific term, meaning there are no modern muscle cars. I would probably say Muscle cars ended for Ford Aus with the last of the XCs and for Holden it was the launch of the CommonWhore that spelled the end -although wikipedia (welcome back online) argues against that point and includes the brock commons. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_car

I
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #15
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

Pre or Coke Bottle styled body, metal panels, 6 if small car otherwise Big V8. Struggles to corner but shreds tyres and sounds mean. I wouldnt call any of the new Falcons traditional muscle, more modern performace.
350125GO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #16
z80
Banned

Just one word.

Corvette.
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #17
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The anual what is a muscle car thread....
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #18
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For me...

American with 2 doors and a V8
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #19
lilmattie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For me: - popular, classic steel cars with steel bumpers - not plastic, that commonly have performance mods applied to them (but not always).

There's some great looking stock 6cyl cars that I would term a muscle car, because of what they look and sound like.
lilmattie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #20
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anything that had a fair amount of power for the size of the car...of course the power outputs are pretty pitiful by todays standards...even a bog stock V6 Commodore or I6 Falcon will be way more powerful than GT falcons of days gone by...but they had a charachter about them that was hard to define.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #21
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
Just one word.

Corvette.
Corvettes were never really considered Muscle Cars .. even things like the 427 tri-power monsters .. with sidepipes, etc, regardless of how brutal they were, were Sports Cars.

Muscle Cars were generally midsized coupes (GM Abody Chevelle, GTO, etc .. Mopar Bbody RoadRunner, Charger, etc .. Ford intermediate Fairlane, Torino, etc) with engine sizes approaching litigious proportions (max sub-400ci for GMs until about 1970 .. when they gave up pretending and just shoved whatever 425, 427, 454, 455, corporate engine they had in there .. like what Mopar did all along)

In my book even the most muscular "compacts" like the SCJ 428 'Stangs, 454 Camaros, etc were still Pony Cars .. not Muscle Cars.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #22
Angeldust

Over powerd, under braked and under tyred.

My VY SS manual fits in nicely into this description.
It drives like a musclecar should too (i used to drive around in a v8 torana)

im happy.

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #23
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

Cart springs, body roll, basic instruments, v8, comfortable seats - old school

Muscle car is just a name started by americans to make the car seem more appealing. All it really is is a Grand Tourer. A car with lots of lazy power that can cruise the highways with ease while providing decent levels of comfort.

To the above, the R35 GTR is not a muscle car/GT car... it's a sports car leaning heavily in to the supercar category.
Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!
martinijosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #24
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Over powered, under braked, chrome bumper, carbureted, heavy, loud and requires some muscle to drive them. There is NOTHING after the 70's that came into this category ........ no matter how hard they tried .... and that discounts everything from VY's to FG GT's. A 'modern' car that is overpowered and under braked is just badly engineered. Back then that was the way it was.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #25
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinijosh
Cart springs, body roll, basic instruments, v8, comfortable seats - old school
Hmm.....XR8 and GS Utes have the V8....the cart springs....the confortable seats.....two doors......

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #26
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mid to late 60's to early to mid 70's. Modern cars are not muscle cars.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #27
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Over powered, under braked, chrome bumper, carbureted, heavy, loud and requires some muscle to drive them. There is NOTHING after the 70's that came into this category ........ no matter how hard they tried .... and that discounts everything from VY's to FG GT's. A 'modern' car that is overpowered and under braked is just badly engineered. Back then that was the way it was.

(They called them a sports car... but we all know the truth)

But yes, as a general rule - what you just said is true. The 80's was a baaaad time for the American motor industry. "European" box styling and heavy emissions control killed any spirit they had left.
Old 20-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #28
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm reasonably sure that Corvettes were getting spanked in acceleration and topspeed in 1978 by Dodge Monaco police cars (last of the 440 wedge engines) .. was only once Mopar changed to the gawd-aweful St Regis 318 cars that Corvette owners were safe again .. so maybe an 1980 Vette was "muscular"? (until the Buick GNX turbo V6 showed up in the mid-eighties ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #29
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
I'm reasonably sure that Corvettes were getting spanked in acceleration and topspeed in 1978 by Dodge Monaco police cars (last of the 440 wedge engines) .. was only once Mopar changed to the gawd-aweful St Regis 318 cars that Corvette owners were safe again .. so maybe an 1980 Vette was "muscular"? (until the Buick GNX turbo V6 showed up in the mid-eighties ..
Well, as basic as the C3 is, it can still take a corner reasonably well (despite being built from the same technology as the C2 which was 16-18 years old at that point...)

I'd love to see the Monaco attempt a corner The general vettes were more based around balance, not just POOWWWWWWER. But the c3's with the 427 and 454's fixed that right up huh?
Old 20-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #30
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Corvette is a sports car..
68 70 Camaro and 65 to 72 Mustang..
Yes GTOs and Dodge Chargers..
With factory spec performance engine..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post