Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-05-2006, 01:14 PM   #1
gtfpv
GT

Default i've realised something about my sleep ????

as we get older i think the theory goes . we tend not to remember our dreams . at night. this is why adults say they dont dream anymore .
my earliest memories involve scary dreams. when i was in my teens i had night mares which scared the crap out of my whiich convinced me i'd die while asleep due to a dream . eg i was always running or bieng chased or trying to save my life . i'd get shot whilst being in the army etc etc . and i never have been in the army . just dreams of this nature . in the end i conquered the dreams and started to defeat the evilness in the dreams . which exhausted me for years . i came to the conclusion that they were only dreams and dreams arent real. to this day i believe this.
however i've noticed lately that my dreams never seem to be good ones .
last night for some reason io dreamt i was sitting outside a club and a teenage girl kicked another teenage girl in the head for no reason and the girl fell back on the ground with blood spurting out of her mouth about 2 metres with every heart pump. woke me up. i went back to sleep and counted 5 more dreams . all differant all bad . none of them relative to reality .
it's made me realise that i have bad dreams whilst asleep and often dont remember them . any thoughts or similar experiances . just thought i'd post it up for something to do .
the last few weeks i've been sleeping in a state of confusion . as if trying to make sense of life . wird and embarrassing i guess . but hey . thats it.

gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 01:17 PM   #2
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

yer i don't have dreams anymore hehe

edit: actually the last one i can remmeber is me sitting on some rehab bus and the stupid bus driver over taking a car goin over a hill at 130km/h+ and we got airborn and then i woke up and was like wtfbs
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 01:19 PM   #3
EA2BA
PM me if you want

I cannot remember the last time I had a dream, would be many, many years ago.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 01:30 PM   #4
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

So ahh GTFPV, do you like horror movies?

So long as your nightmares don't affect your everday 'awake' reality then fine! Otherwise talk to someone about it.

Might explain some of the driver's out on the roads:-)
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 01:37 PM   #5
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

I remember almost all of my dreams. I still have nighmares too. I dream good things, sometimes a little too good lol ;) but I dream well and remember them in detail.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 01:52 PM   #6
gtfpv
GT

i should make a point that i'm not relating the current to the past .
when i was a teenger a doctor put me on a tablet for miagrane headaches :" INDERAL" AT ABout the time i was having nightmares . months later i read up on the idications of inderal . and a side affect was . extreme vivid nightmares . that would explian the adverse affect back then .
also i dont think dreams affect my everyday outlook on life or actions. its something i rarely think about.
Old 18-05-2006, 02:03 PM   #7
LTDHO
The one and only

You stop dreaming when you loose imagination.

I still dream and remember them.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 02:10 PM   #8
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
You stop dreaming when you loose imagination.
I think my imagination is very good, or my car would still be stock :nutsycuck

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 02:41 PM   #9
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Inderal is a beta blocker, all it basically does is restrict your adrenal gland, which means you can't really be stressed about anything, or get a fright. I was on it for some reason when i was younger.. can't even remember why. It sucked, and the comedowns were ordinary. There were times when i thought to myself 'i think i should be startled about this' but i wasn't ;p

I've noticed i'm less likely to dream if i'm REALLY tired. The more restless i am the more i dream.

I've found i still have very vivid dreams (i am 26). A lot of them don't make sense, but i've dreampt i've died in various ways too, been shot, etc etc. Dreampt the world was ending, lots of horrible stuff. A lot of it i can relate to tv shows i've watched though, or something weird that happened in the day, i believe that dreams are all the subconscious rubbish your brain has collected during the day or few days etc which are strung together by your mind into a ridiculous short movie. Funny how it all seems normal at the time though hey ?

I don't know if anyone else here can relate to this, but a lot of the time i'm able to realise i'm dreaming, and take control of some of my dreams! This is weird but extremely cool, it's as though i'm conscious, but in a dream world. I've had some fun in those dreams. Apparently it's a relatively rare ability but quite a few others can do it ?
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 03:10 PM   #10
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantz
I don't know if anyone else here can relate to this, but a lot of the time i'm able to realise i'm dreaming, and take control of some of my dreams! This is weird but extremely cool, it's as though i'm conscious, but in a dream world. I've had some fun in those dreams. Apparently it's a relatively rare ability but quite a few others can do it ?
Relatively rare yes, but its something you can learn. The term is lucid dreaming. Some people have the ability to realise that they are in a dream and stay asleep to continue it. At this point you can choose to do whatever you like, while continue 'living inside your fantasy'.

Other people can learn how to do this and there are plenty of documents on the intraweb that will tell you how.

I for one at this point in my life cannot. When I realise its a dream, I usually wake up straight away. A lot of it has to do with me analysing whats happening and realising that it doesn't make sense. Occasionally I'm able to hang around for a few minutes, but the dreams basically stop being interesting at that point.

Anyway, back to what the original post was about.

I find that I still dream at 23 and most of them are quite silly. I don't dream too much about the future and not often about things that concern me too much, but if something is fresh on my mind that night I often dream about it in some way.

That said, all my dreams are usually happy or light-hearted.
Old 18-05-2006, 03:21 PM   #11
BlackLS

When I have a dream i remember, It always ends up with the feeling of falling. Sometimes I actually dream of falling off a cliff, othertimes the sensation just wakes me.

My theory:
You tend to have more dreams when you are fit and healthy. Dreaming is just a level under conciousness, this is where many athletes sleep, the less fit you are the more unconciouss you go, the less brain activity = less dreams. I dream when I'm sick, when I take a nap in the afternoon. A few years back I was fit and I dreamt a lot. Nowadays I've been told I sometimes stop breathing for 20 or so seconds and go back to snoring.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 05:05 PM   #12
micksta

you guys were talking about taking something that doesn't make u get a fright or get startled ???

i do that 90% of the time ... something really bad will happen and ill just go ... meh doesn't matter.

like when i badly dinted my car .. i got out .. and pretty much said .. "that'll buff out" and drove it to the car wash .. put some sticky tape on it .. and that was it .. now its fixed .. but anyways.

i dont dream much .. i'v dremt (who even knows if thats a word) that my car was broken into a couple of times.
havn't had any dying dreams though. i dont think.
micksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 05:30 PM   #13
XRated
Shoot.

I probably remember a dream once a month. And that's usually only because it's a broken sleep..

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 05:55 PM   #14
max
LWBforME

Before I went to India a couple of years ago I had a series of shots for a variety of diseases I might contract over there. I'm not sure which one it was, but my lordy, I had some very lurid dreams for days after, mama mia! Terms and conditions of these forums deter me from explaining further. I want some more of those shots please!!
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 07:33 PM   #15
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a dream about Kim Beasley last night.... He was riding a modified quad bike around Phillip Island.... He tanks slapped coming out of Siberia. Did 3 sommersaults and landed on his back..... We all (Lowndsy and Bright) thought he was dead. He hen sits up and says "it's OK, I'm all right"...

Man what a weird dream........ Can someone interpret it for me.....

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 08:08 PM   #16
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

I've only woken up and remembered 2 dreams in the last few years but had one a couple of weeks back where I dreamt I was in my bed, in the middle of the night, and all of a sudden woke up having some sort of siezure/fit. All the muscles in my body tensed up, I tried to call out but couldn't make a sound because my face was all tense and my mouth was clenched shut, went to reach for my phone (kept next to my bed) but couldn't extend my arm, then felt and heard all my teeth crack. Woke up all sweaty and weird. Most realistic dream I think I've ever had. Especially seeing as how I dreamt that I was exactly where I'd gone to sleep.

The last dream I remember before that one was dirty. Damn, that was a good dream.

My XB Fairmont Sedan Project
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 08:14 PM   #17
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not me, I dream vividly on regular occasions. Just the other night I had one of my best. I was buying an investment property when I turned around and cut the estate agent in half with an axe. Not one clean blow, but repeated bone crunching strikes. It was like I was stuck inside someone elses body and couldn't stop them. Not that I wanted to, so I watched on in bemused excitement from within myself.

After I had finished I wandered outside to inspect the rest of the property and found everyone in the street appeared to be like a zombie from Dawn of the Dead. What ensued was the most beautiful unforgettable orgy of violence I have ever seen. Its amazing what our imaginations can give us.

Don't they say stress stops you dreaming? i.e. don't get into a deep enough sleep or something. Maybe the older you get the more you've got to worry about...
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 09:13 PM   #18
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We all dream no matter how stressed or not, its just a matter of importance and recall..if you are having difficulty with your dreams...e.g extreme violence etc...time to seek counselling.

paralysis dreams are not uncommon so don't be to worried.

I once had a dream as a youngun where I was being attacked by lots of spiders ...Although I felt I was wide awake I could'nt move or talk all very scary and surreal.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 09:34 PM   #19
martO
meh

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his efforts in creating the monthly Photoshop competitions and advice/tips on how to use Photoshop. 

Is it weird that I personally have never had a nightmare before, ever ??

Anyone else never ever had a nightmare in their life?
Old 18-05-2006, 10:08 PM   #20
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz
I've only woken up and remembered 2 dreams in the last few years but had one a couple of weeks back where I dreamt I was in my bed, in the middle of the night, and all of a sudden woke up having some sort of siezure/fit. All the muscles in my body tensed up, I tried to call out but couldn't make a sound because my face was all tense and my mouth was clenched shut, went to reach for my phone (kept next to my bed) but couldn't extend my arm, then felt and heard all my teeth crack. Woke up all sweaty and weird. Most realistic dream I think I've ever had. Especially seeing as how I dreamt that I was exactly where I'd gone to sleep.
Was your *** sore Woz? Sounds like you were kidnaped by aliens and nearly woke up!!!! :

I can remember dreams sometimes but lately I have been remembering the most vivid dreams, that last all night long.
I'm using Nicabate nicotine patches. The instructions warn of vivid dreams and to take the patch off at night if it happens. Stuff that I'm having too much fun!

I often wake up when I realise it's a dream, but I do try to take control. I jump out a window or whatever and fly! Sometimes I drop for what seems ages but if I don't wake up I just keep flying. I'm a little worn out by the time morning comes!

Have had a couple of ripper nightmare lately so I may have to knock this on the head. I reckon dreaming is great!!
Old 18-05-2006, 10:20 PM   #21
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Damn that sounds like fun.... I getting some of those nicotine patches.. 16+ should do the trick... just so loang as I don't dream about Kim Beasley anymore.... AHHHHHH

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 10:21 PM   #22
Danny
GT4.

I only remember two dreams vividly. One I was running through an old house from someone or some thing with a friend. I wasnt sure what was chasing me but I could hardly run and my feet were dragging like my shoes weighed 10 kilo each. When I got to the void where the staircase was I jumped off it and went to swing on a chadelier. It broke and I woke up, and woke everyone around me (I was 16 and at a mates house after his birthday).

The other one I remeber was when I was 16 as well. I won't go into it, but I woke up with a small wet patch on my Jim Jams....
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 10:25 PM   #23
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
The other one I remeber was when I was 16 as well. I won't go into it, but I woke up with a small wet patch on my Jim Jams....
Oh yeah, I have those dreams all the time. I have them so often, infact, that the other morning I fell out of bed and broke my boxer shorts. :
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 10:32 PM   #24
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

I have these recurring dreams where I'm trying to scream out but my voice is muffled and no one can hear, I try to run but I feel as slow as a wet week...........As frustrating as trying to find parts for the ESP !!!!!!!!!!!! :

My favourite ones are where I'm flying.......the more I swerve and dip the faster I go...........COOL AS.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 10:48 PM   #25
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantz
I don't know if anyone else here can relate to this, but a lot of the time i'm able to realise i'm dreaming, and take control of some of my dreams! This is weird but extremely cool, it's as though i'm conscious, but in a dream world. I've had some fun in those dreams. Apparently it's a relatively rare ability but quite a few others can do it?
Yep, I can do that. I have one or two recurring dreams (not on a regular basis), and when I get to a part in the dream where I realise I know whats going on, and I know whats about to happen, I can stop myself from letting it happen.
Or if things get entirely too weird in my dream, I kind of pull myself back, and think WTF???

My Dad told me about one of his dreams once that involved my childhood teddy bear driving one of our buses on it's usual run, but when he got to the end of the route, instead of turning around and going back, he did the trip in reverse. :
Of course none of the passengers noticed anything was amiss, and didn't seem bothered by the little pink bear running around on the drivers seat yelling "We'll all be killed! We'll all be killed!"
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 11:32 PM   #26
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster
time to seek counselling.
Lol, that's the funniest thing I've heard all day...
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 02:15 AM   #27
gtfpv
GT

i've had some dreams . where you know your dreaming and want to wake up but you cant move. that was a few years ago. sounds like some people here have some weird ones.
Old 19-05-2006, 04:10 AM   #28
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz
I've had a similar dream once before, it's scary as hell. I basically woke up completely paralized, could not even take a breath. It thought that there was a huge weight on my chest, and would only be able to take a breath when my body did so naturally. Then a managed to flinch my leg and snaped out of it.

I have a quote here that i copied and pasted from a previous thread (not sure if it was on ford forums though). It basically explains my symptoms perfectly...

Quote....
That's actually a medical condition called atonia. Normally when you dream (REM sleep)you are paralysed and this stops you acting out what you're dreaming (sleep walking is a disorder of this process)Atonia is the paralysis normally experience in REM sleep extending into the waking stages of sleep. Your mind is awake but your body is still asleep. The brain waves as you are drifing off to sleep/waking up and when you're dreaming are very similar. Often you'll start to wake up but still be paralysed and then go back into REM sleep while still semi concious and dream of being paralysed, trapped, attacked, pinned down or something like that. People often report a weight on their chest as part of the paralysis and their minds often fabricate the image of a person (ghost) holding them down. We all know how messed up and illogical dreams can be. When they're superimposed with a real event ( being 'awake' in your bed) it can be scary and if you're inclined to believe in ghosts or the paranormal then that's what your mind will generate.

"When Chuck Norris jumps into water, he does not get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris..."
Rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 04:21 AM   #29
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba
I had a dream about Kim Beasley last night.... He was riding a modified quad bike around Phillip Island.... He tanks slapped coming out of Siberia. Did 3 sommersaults and landed on his back..... We all (Lowndsy and Bright) thought he was dead. He hen sits up and says "it's OK, I'm all right"...

Man what a weird dream........ Can someone interpret it for me.....
Yep, I am a trained psychologist and have studied dream understanding and deciphering for years. Your dream is a common enough dream in men. It means your gay!

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 04:27 AM   #30
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Oh, and I rarely remember dreams. But those I do remember I am usually having some sort of adventure. I remember having this recuring dream when I was younger but dont get that now.

Id like to splice into this thread another part of sleep time activity. Sleep walking. Im known to do this occassionaly. My mother once told me I walked into their room once, sat on the edge of the bed looking out the window, after a few moments got up and went to bed. Never remembered a thing. Im also told after a long session of computer gaming, I sat bolt upright in bed and started typing in mid air, then after a few moments layed back down and went to sleep.

Finally, I do tech support for bigpond internet, I am also known to mumble some tech advice in my drousy sleepy state.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post