Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-10-2010, 01:58 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation New Holden Ad..Ford Should Have HAD !!

I saw two new Holden ads tonight, that start with an old Holden and lead into the new VEII.Thats the kind of ad FORD should have had in their 50th year, Ad start with the XP and lead into FG . Why cann't FORD marketing come up with ads like that!!!!!!

Old 21-10-2010, 08:56 AM   #2
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, I saw that one too.. Very good add..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Best automotive ad I've seen in ages is the current Isuzu ad, showing how there current offering has been a continual improvement on what had come before and how long that process had been onging (wrt their pickup range).

Their slogan => Built from History

Should have been yours Ford (wrt Falcon) - marketing asleep on the job again :(
Old 21-10-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no wonder ford sales are falling.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep was a good add, who is the advertising company for holden? they are very innovative.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
BOSHOG
avenge me

i havent seen it but it sounds like the Holden ute ad from a few years ago with music from Jet. one of the best ads ive seen also
Old 21-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Ad start with the XP and lead into FG . Why cann't FORD marketing come up with ads like that!!!!!!
Shouldn't they start with an XK? Sure they weren't really tough enough for Australian roads but they were still the first Falcon.

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #8
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

But if Ford did an ad like that they'd be copying??? *sigh*
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2010, 05:31 PM   #9
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza
Shouldn't they start with an XK? Sure they weren't really tough enough for Australian roads but they were still the first Falcon.
thats what I was thinking

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #10
snowcone

Yeah they could start wth the XK and go through each model, but maybe they should skip EA/B and move really fast around those years
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2010, 12:25 AM   #11
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Lol yeah go straight from XC to EF or AU. Only problem is the Commonwhore Bog- I mean Holden Enthusiasts would never let us hear the end of it.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2010, 12:29 AM   #12
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Ford Australia should fire their marketing department, and donate about $10k a year to Australian Ford Forums, and we here can spend that money making advertisements for them, because I'm sure as a collective we'd come up with better, more original and innovative ideas for ads than Ford have had in the last few years!

In fact, I honestly can't really remember the last time I saw a Ford ad on TV compared to some other manufacturers.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2010, 12:46 AM   #13
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could have even REAL cars lined up...every major model over time.

I thought that Ford really did not make a lot of its 50th year for the Falcon.

Holden release the VE Commodore, and they get their own TV segment for a car that is still far from flawless

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #14
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcone
Yeah they could start wth the XK and go through each model, but maybe they should skip EA/B and move really fast around those years
Why skip the biggest leap forward the nameplate ever saw and IMHO the first Falcons even worth considering
Old 22-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #15
snowcone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
Why skip the biggest leap forward the nameplate ever saw and IMHO the first Falcons even worth considering
You can't possibly be defending one of the worst models Ford ever dumped on the public in a rush to keep pace with Holden launching it's VN/P models.

I personally experienced the joy of owning one of the first 4 speed autos and I can tell you what every piece of paint is like in the local Ford dealers waiting rooms while waiting for so many warranty repairs that I eventually flogged the wretched thing off and got a Commodore
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #16
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Just cos you got a lemon doesn't mean Ford should erase the EA-B from history snowcone. EA dragged Ford out of the stone age, nothing will ever change that.

Overall quality off the product...yes, suspect at best.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2010, 12:58 PM   #17
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Quote:
You can't possibly be defending one of the worst models Ford ever dumped on the public in a rush to keep pace with Holden launching it's VN/P models....
Yes the EA had some issues as its introduction was rushed but I'll certainly defend the EA/EB/ED series of cars. They dragged the Falcons front suspension into the modern era with the SLALS front end that remained competitive right through to FG and was in most ways superior to the macpherson strut offering of the competition. They also introduced the OHC six and the overdrive 4-spd auto. The sporty S and latter XR models also started to regain some of the enthusiast market that had been lost throughout the 80's.

The E-series were also considered by many (myself included) as the best looking large Ford sedan globally at the time and IMHO have aged very well. I gotta tell you I didn't have much interest in any Falcon up to that point and started my driving years in a pair of GMH Torana's before playing with 4x4's for a few years. It was an ED Falcon that first got me behind the wheel of a Blue Oval product and I've owned one ever since. Though I am a fan of the I6 and a decent chassis and the E-series had that vs the Commodore of the time (VN/VP etc) which had front struts, rear panhard and V6 => wrong, wrong, wrong (that was 3-strikes and you were out of favour with me GMH).

Last edited by Raptor; 22-10-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2010, 01:20 PM   #18
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

http://www.youtube.com/user/HoldenAu...FQtBbgodsyGfzA
This one lays the bull**** so thick you could carve it.
Old 22-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #19
KYSBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Ford Australia should fire their marketing department, and donate about $10k a year to Australian Ford Forums, and we here can spend that money making advertisements for them, because I'm sure as a collective we'd come up with better, more original and innovative ideas for ads than Ford have had in the last few years!

In fact, I honestly can't really remember the last time I saw a Ford ad on TV compared to some other manufacturers.
You are deadright Riksta. Ford cop an absolute flogging in the marketing of their product. The only ads I can remember from Ford are when the XR6 or G6/G6E have got a couple of extras or a couple of grand off. Never just an ad to show the product. You look at the creativity of some of the people on other parts of these forums, give them the resources that the advertising co gets. That combined with the passion for the product = WIN FOR FORD
KYSBF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2010, 04:55 PM   #20
TerraAWD
Starter Motor

This is already in the USA????????????
WTF ????

MyFord/Lincoln……….....Touch
Ford's new interface proves there is a price for fast innovation.
www.fordinsidenews.com
October 21, 2010
By: Nick Saporito

Ford is now considered one of America’s most innovative companies. One of their most focused areas of innovation has been on infotainment, a critical area that is of the utmost importance to American car buyers. It started with SYNC back in 2007 and since its launch the flood gates have opened in Dearborn to innovate off of the SYNC platform nearly as fast as Silicon Valley. That innovation has now spurred MyFord and MyLincoln Touch. The suite of new features and a user interface that is extremely innovative, but the system shows the price one most pay for quick innovation.

MyFord/Lincoln Touch encompasses the use of two 4.2-inch LCD displays in the gauge cluster in lieu of traditional analog gauges. Ford is certainly not the first automaker to utilize LCD panels in the gauge cluster, though they are the first to get such a wide array of usage out of them. The right side panel can display everything from the battery and signal levels of your cell phone to the temperature of the driver’s ambient.

The left panel is strictly for vehicle information. Fuel level, engine temperature, engine speed and all of the other traditional driver information center statistics are found there. For example, one can display fuel economy in three different ways on that one LCD. Again we have a level of innovation that is nothing short of incredible with the system.

All MyFord/Lincoln Touch vehicles are also equipped with an eight inch LCD on the center stack. This display is laden with elaborate animations and graphic sets- perhaps some of the best in the industry. The fancy UI controls everything relating to communication or entertainment. You can even connect your vehicle to a wireless router from this screen, yes like a computer.

But the eight inch display is also where this high level of innovation starts to become tarnished. While the small LCD’s in the gauge cluster react quickly and effectively, commands issued from the larger display tend to lag, stall and become an overall annoyance.

Having experienced the system in several vehicles—most of which were regular production units—it seems to be an inherent trait of the system.

Almost any touch of a soft button on the display results in a lag within the UI itself. For example, touch a preset radio button to change the Sirius channel and the channel changes before the UI registers the change on the display.

Voice controls become another issue with the system. For example, while playing an iPod through the USB, commands that are typically not a problem for SYNC…results in a failure. Saying “Play playlist recently added” is unrecognizable by the system, yet works fine in older applications of SYNC.

On a recent trip back from the airport MyLincoln Touch was very cantankerous with entering a destination via voice control. To make matters worse, it would tell you what information it wanted you to say before the screen was displaying the options, the lag problem rearing its ugly head.

MyFord/Lincoln Touch is supposed to lure in Generation Y buyers, but Generation Y buyers are used to multi-core processors on their PC’s and smartphones that pack a higher punch than computers just a decade ago. The lag within the UI is of MyFord/Lincoln Touch is something most buyers are going to notice quickly.

Ford deserves a tremendous amount of credit for innovating so quickly. In concept the new MyFord/Lincoln Touch system is terrific. The intention of the system is terrific. Unfortunately there tends to be a price to be collected for fast innovation, just ask Apple. The system’s inherent UI lag and so-so voice control seem to be the price in the case of MyFord/Lincoln Touch. Perhaps a software update will resolve the issues? We shall see.
TerraAWD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #21
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
You can't possibly be defending one of the worst models Ford ever dumped on the public in a rush to keep pace with Holden launching it's VN/P models.

I personally experienced the joy of owning one of the first 4 speed autos and I can tell you what every piece of paint is like in the local Ford dealers waiting rooms while waiting for so many warranty repairs that I eventually flogged the wretched thing off and got a Commodore
It wasn't entirely ready but the EA came out before the VN. The quality issues that plagued the early EAs were fixed quickly. The styling was spot on, most of the reputation they got is wrong.

I've also experienced the joy of owning one of the first 4 speed autos. Yes, the gearbox did pack it in (at 220,000kms and what looked like barely any maintenance on it in that time), but the car has been brilliant. I've owned it over 8 years, I've done over 160,000kms in it since getting it, and honestly it's no less comfortable than my AU, seems to have easily outperformed far newer cars and only recently has gotten to a point that I'd call it unreliable (well, what do you expect for a 20 year old car). Overall a bloody good car

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #22
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:

Just to correct you, the VN was rushed to production, the VL was meant to run with a mid-life update until 1990. But the EA really scared the bejusus out of them.

The wait for the 4 Speed was excruciating for some people though. Coughwheelscough
Old 22-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #23
samsy351
351XB - Underbelly II Car

Well Ford did have this ad a few years ago.. remember .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dPvuH_1KPM
Old 22-10-2010, 08:44 PM   #24
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar
http://www.youtube.com/user/HoldenAu...FQtBbgodsyGfzA
This one lays the bull**** so thick you could carve it.
Whilst this style of ad has proved sucessful for Holden, it still makes me absolutely chunder. I was just waiting for them to say at the end "Now lets all join hands and sing John Lennons' imagine."

I dont care how well it would do for Ford using it, its just pathetic. How australians fall for this drivel is beyond me...
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2010, 10:25 PM   #25
Struggo

Quote:

It could have been worse, you could have been driving the EA 3.2L with a 3 speed auto What were they thinking at time?

Possibly the worst Falcon ever built, on par with Holdens starfire Commodore.
Struggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2010, 10:55 PM   #26
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struggo
It could have been worse, you could have been driving the EA 3.2L with a 3 speed auto What were they thinking at time?

Possibly the worst Falcon ever built, on par with Holdens starfire Commodore.
The biggest problem is the EA Ford had one underpowered engine (the 3.2) and two versions of the 3.9 which had bugger all difference between them. That is:

3.2 single injector (about 90kw)
3.9 single injector (about 120kw)
3.9 multi-point injection (about 139kW)

What they should have done is as follows:

3.2 multi-point injection (about 110kw)
3.9 multi-point injection (about 139kw)

The entry models wouldn't have been so gutless and there would have been a noticeable performance difference between the two engines.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2010, 11:05 PM   #27
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes Ford has missed the boat again. These history style ads have been working for other manufacturers for a while now. My favorite is still the Holden ute ad with Jet's song "rip it up". A very clever and memorable ad
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2010, 11:57 PM   #28
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Someone send a god damn email to Ford showing them this thread
Old 23-10-2010, 02:34 AM   #29
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...24&postcount=4

MMM... I remember posting this a little while ago. It seems like someone from Holden read my post.

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #30
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...24&postcount=4

MMM... I remember posting this a little while ago. It seems like someone from Holden read my post.
Sure does!! but no one from Ford marketing!!!