Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Did you buy factory upgraded brakes on your NEW Falcon/FPV
Yes BA XR8 or XR6T 0 0%
Yes BA GT 0 0%
Yes BA Pursuit 0 0%
Yes BA F6 Typhoon 1 3.23%
Yes BA F6 Tornado 0 0%
Yes BF GT 0 0%
Yes BF GT40 or Cobra 0 0%
Yes BF F6 Typhoon 1 3.23%
Yes BF F6 Tornado 0 0%
Yes FG GS 0 0%
Yes FG GT 0 0%
Yes FG Pursuit 0 0%
Yes FG F6 1 3.23%
Yes FG F6 Ute 0 0%
No but I upgraded with OEM or AM brakes 6 19.35%
No I bought a GT-P/SP/Force/GT-E 6 19.35%
No the basic brake package was good enough for me 18 58.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default How retarding?

There have been a number of posts on the board regarding factory brake upgrades and whether they should be available on various models.

The new GS does not have this option nor does any Ford Falcon/G.

Ford offered a factory brake upgrade package on the BA XR6T & XR8, I have seen maybe 2 ever.

FPV offered brake upgrade packages on Pursuit, GS, GT (inc GT40 & Cobra), F6 & F6 ute (inc Typhoon & Tornado).
I owned a F6 and have seen a couple of Pursuits and a GT40 with factory upgraded brakes.

As AFF is the centre of the universe for Ford/FPV buyers there must be a few on here who have ticked the box.

The poll is multi answer for those who have bought more than one

flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Ive said my bit in the other thread, as I am yet to buy new I cant respond to the poll other to say that if I was going to the trouble of owning a FPV then I would get them.

Heck, id get them if there was a FPV upgrade option on the n/a XR8 and XR6T (rim and brake package for example).
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

The GT had the stock PBR brakes which were good enough for anything on the street, really suffered on the track though. The SP had the brembo 6/1 combo which was great but I think should have had 4 spot rear as it felt a bit unbalanced to me. The F6 has the 4/1 standard combo, I could not find any that had the brake upgrade in BF, not that it really worries me, they work well.
Old 20-10-2010, 12:12 PM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
The GT had the stock PBR brakes which were good enough for anything on the street, really suffered on the track though. The SP had the brembo 6/1 combo which was great but I think should have had 4 spot rear as it felt a bit unbalanced to me. The F6 has the 4/1 standard combo, I could not find any that had the brake upgrade in BF, not that it really worries me, they work well.
As you may remember there was a totally unsubstantiated urban myth about a guy who had a GT-P and then sold it to buy a F6 with PBRs and way out in the scrub while travelling at (deleted)km/h braked at the usual place but ended up running a stop sign at about 40km/h. Apparantly later the same guy repeated the event with a brembo fitted F6 and stopped easily. Well so the story goes....

Maybe others found something similar which may have led to FPV fitting front Brembos to BF and later.
Old 20-10-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
tweeked
N/A all the way

I had the standard "performance" PBR's on my GT and the performed flawlessly on the street - even saving me on one occasion in a full on emergency stop at 110 when a truck pulled out to overtake an old van while I was overtaking him, two wheels on bitumen two wheels off the road.

They could not cope with full on track work, so I upgraded to Aftermarket 6 piston front calipers.

The top level brakes are overkill on the street - they are for marketing or filling big wheels only.

The urban myth guy - if his brakes were that bad on one stop then had other issues, either

1 He outbraked himself and was making excuses,
2 The road was damp
3 It was his 5th stop and he was travelling way over the speed limit for an extended period,
4 It never happened

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked
I had the standard "performance" PBR's on my GT and the performed flawlessly on the street - even saving me on one occasion in a full on emergency stop at 110 when a truck pulled out to overtake an old van while I was overtaking him, two wheels on bitumen two wheels off the road.

They could not cope with full on track work, so I upgraded to Aftermarket 6 piston front calipers.

The top level brakes are overkill on the street - they are for marketing or filling big wheels only.

The urban myth guy - if his brakes were that bad on one stop then had other issues, either

1 He outbraked himself and was making excuses,
2 The road was damp
3 It was his 5th stop and he was travelling way over the speed limit for an extended period,
4 It never happened
Well as the story goes, the car was 1200km and 3 days old, the road was perfectly dry, it was the first stop, the speed was (deleted) and I am fairly sure it did happen, well as far as these urban myths can be believed...so the story goes....

Last edited by flappist; 20-10-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 20-10-2010, 01:12 PM   #7
AussieAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Well as the story goes, the car was 1200km and 3 days old, the road was perfectly dry, it was the first stop, the speed was (deleted) and it did happen...so the story goes....
He's lucky he didn't run into a poll! (in that unsubstantiated story)
Some people drive to go places others go places to drive.......
AussieAV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #8
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Well as the story goes, the car was 1200km and 3 days old, the road was perfectly dry, it was the first stop, the speed was (deleted) and I am fairly sure it did happen, well as far as these urban myths can be believed...so the story goes....
I'd go with a bad workman blaming his tools.......

You would have people flying off roads left right and centre otherwise

The poll is interesting though - It probably need an option of "standard brakes and I dont believe they are up to it, but i am keeping them"

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2010, 02:13 PM   #9
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
...If I was going to the trouble of owning a FPV then I would get them. Heck, id get them if there was a FPV upgrade option on the n/a XR8 and XR6T (rim and brake package for example).
Same boat. Don't own, and won't for a while, but when I do buy an FPV/XR Falcon it'd be one of the first boxes I'd like to tick.

I figure if you're going to the trouble to buy a high performance sedan/ute, I know I'd much rather have bigger brakes than some extra leather or an iPod cable...
Old 20-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #10
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
Same boat. Don't own, and won't for a while, but when I do buy an FPV/XR Falcon it'd be one of the first boxes I'd like to tick.

I figure if you're going to the trouble to buy a high performance sedan/ute, I know I'd much rather have bigger brakes than some extra leather or an iPod cable...
Exactly, what I would sign up for tomorrow is a US spec Coyote, manual, vixen red, 18's with brembos, cloth seats. Basic, fun V8 goodness....guess Ill have to wait.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #11
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieAV
He's lucky he didn't run into a poll! (in that unsubstantiated story)
It's almost impossible to avoid a poll.....when on AFF that is
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2010, 09:47 PM   #12
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Spose I really shoudn't be posting this. I never bought one, but if I did, then I would have Ticked the box for upgraded brakes. I have to admit I get inappropriately excited over brakes. I like being able to pick my eyeballs of the front window. I want the best possible brakes. You never know when you might need them....

(Enter the comment over the Brembos needing decent temperature to be at peak braking performance, so not much difference on the street)
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2010, 11:18 PM   #13
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got my car as an ex-demo.

Couldn't find many demos with the upgrade..

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2010, 11:31 PM   #14
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
As you may remember there was a totally unsubstantiated urban myth about a guy who had a GT-P and then sold it to buy a F6 with PBRs and way out in the scrub while travelling at (deleted)km/h braked at the usual place but ended up running a stop sign at about 40km/h. Apparantly later the same guy repeated the event with a brembo fitted F6 and stopped easily. Well so the story goes....

Maybe others found something similar which may have led to FPV fitting front Brembos to BF and later.
Know the story well. In my experience from two B series with PBR performance brakes an two with brembo combinations, any brake application on the street that healthy 1200 km old brakes were not up to the task probably means the brake application point was way too late. In my experience there is not a lot in it between a brembo and performance PBR in a single brake application. In actual fact I found the GT (PBR) had better initial bite and braking power when cold (example after highway stretch) than what the SP did with brembos which seemed to require a bit of heat an were a bit dead without. Just my unsubstantiated experience.
Old 20-10-2010, 11:35 PM   #15
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Know the story well. In my experience from two B series with PBR performance brakes an two with brembo combinations, any brake application on the street that healthy 1200 km old brakes were not up to the task probably means the brake application point was way too late. In my experience there is not a lot in it between a brembo and performance PBR in a single brake application. In actual fact I found the GT (PBR) had better initial bite and braking power when cold (example after highway stretch) than what the SP did with brembos which seemed to require a bit of heat an were a bit dead without. Just my unsubstantiated experience.
Very true, It also depends on what warp factor the unsubstantiated picks were applied at too...!! LOL

Old 20-10-2010, 11:40 PM   #16
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Bought the GT-P new.

Had I decided on the F6 it would've gotten the 6/4 upgrade.

Like some of the others here, I do track work, so they're essential.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2010, 11:47 PM   #17
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton

Have you seen the price they slug you for the brake upgrade? In the B series it was $4000. For that, you could upgrade to leather, get an I pod cable and still have about $2500 left over. Hell you could even get a sunroof and upgrade the pad material and have brakes out of a brembo 6/1 combo that would work just as well on the street compared to the brembo 6/4 combo with change left over (that is on BF).

I think many of the BA and BF GT buyers did not do the upgrade because those that wanted the extra braking power also wanted the go fast seats and other bonuses of the GT-P, making the GT-P a better option than an optioned up GT.
Old 20-10-2010, 11:54 PM   #18
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Very true, It also depends on what warp factor the unsubstantiated picks were applied at too...!! LOL
If I remember the uban myth, he might have been doing a bit over the posted speed limit. I would suggest that he was perhaps a little used to the previous GT-P brakes and not driving within the capabilities of a brand new car (with brakes still bedding in and green tyres) and not allowing sufficient fudge factor for surpise road imperfection, oil, water and gravel etc. I think he might have been living on the ragged edge a bit and lucky there was no one else involved. I doubt the crash investigation would have found FPV responsible for fitting insufficient brakes, particularly because they were bigger than the highway patrol cars at the time (this was in the time of BAII if I remember the myth) and the highway patrol cars seemed to pull up with smaller calipers and rotors.
Old 21-10-2010, 12:04 AM   #19
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe we should pool our resources and find stopping distances for the cars in question. I'll start the ball rolling; FG XR6 100 - 0 41.58m or 137.2 feet. Sourced from september '09 motor mag. And just for comparisons sake, 65 mustang, 4 wheel drums, no booster, 60mph-0, 162.2 feet. Maybe we could get a sticky list of stopping distances similar to the list of acceleration figures?
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2010, 10:45 AM   #20
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Interesting poll so far, no one with a GT upgraded the brakes on the factory option, is that because they just bought the GT-P instead?

2 ticked the brake upgrade on F6's, is that because there was not a F6-P for the majority of the BA-BF F6 production time period?

Also according to our previously mentioned unsubstantiated experience, 51% of people are going out of control into intersections at 40 km/h and should die shortly