Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-03-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default The Falcon must change!

The start of 2010 signified another change in the Aussie car market, for the first time ever, compact SUVs like Forrester, Outlander, etc overtook large car sales. This is now the second segment to overtake large car sales following the small car segment which became number 1 in Australia only in the last couple of years.

The days of the large segment ruling supreme is over. Even mighty Toyota only sold 800 odd Aurions last month. Nissan's Maxima and Honda's Accord are now selling a trickle compared to what they were selling in the 90s.

The compact SUV segment covers a lot of makes, the interesting thing to note is that the majority of these vehicles are not really off-road machines, some even come in 2wd. So why are people buying these vehicles? perhaps its the looks and image, but I have a feeling its the packaging of these cars with their high hip-points, higher ride height and wagon practicallity which is hitting the sweet spot with buyers.

The traditional three box large sedan is dying, and Ford has to change the direction of the Falcon. Higher hip point, higher ride height, command driving position and a more practical body has to be the main drivers in the next Falcon, luckily Ford has a template to copy... The new BMW 5 Series GT.

BMW has their finger on the pulse, they see that sedans will become less relevant in the marketplace. Ford must see the investment that BMW has made in this vehicle as an example of where large family cars are heading.

People say a new transmission, or EcoBoost engine will be Falcon's saviour, thats a load of crap. The segments which are taking over large car sales are not defined by any type of technological marvels, they are instead selling due to packaging. As good as the Falcon will become, its a type of car less and less people want.

Ford must innovate with the next Falcon, the normal sedan will not cut it at all in the second decade of the 21st cenury and it will be swamped by other cars which are more suited to the modern car buyer.

Its a risk to change such an iconic vehicle like the Falcon, but with a dismal 2500 sales last month its even bigger risk to carry on its present course.

Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
Arkturus

Some interesting thoughts there and the idea of a Falcon hatch could work, but isnt this similar to Holden's idea with the Adventra i think it was called. Didn't really take off...
Arkturus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about Toyota and Holden? Pretty sure they make large RWD cars as well.....?
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
Matt P
No Boundries

I think thats the idea behind the Territory.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
What about Toyota and Holden? Pretty sure they make large RWD cars as well.....?
Toyota makes a large FWD sedan which does not sell well at all. Holden has significant exports orders and a Sportwagon which is keeping Commodore sales alive. In fact the Sportwagon is a type of vehicle which will become more and more relevant as people move away from sedans.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:52 PM   #6
g220ba
FGX XR8

I'm sorry but is there any reason why we need a new thread everyday about the falcons demise or the falcon needs to change or even the long drawn out arguement of the falcon going FWD. I agree there are some fair points there but it applies to every single car maker in the large car segment not just ford.

It's a well known fact that the large RWD sedan is becoming moreso a niche market everyday. Does this mean the Falcon has to change? I believe for the large RWD ford to survive it would need to become a global car under the One Ford mantra, whether that happens or not we'll just have to wait and see.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt P
I think thats the idea behind the Territory.
The Territory is a SUV whereas the 5 Series GT has more of a 'car' stance.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
g220ba
FGX XR8

Not a pleasant looking car is it. Seems like it's not really sure what it's meant to be and as a result has become a bit awkward looking.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I've said it before in this forum that the FG should have been a hatch. The boot lid is short enough not to have affected the styling much at all. It would have covered both previous sedan and wagon versions to a large extent. Ford is not higher than Commodore in the sales at present, only because there is only a sedan available (apart from the old model BF wagon XT).

I'm in the market for a new wagon or hatch later this year, an FG hatch would've been ideal. The Terry is too short at the back and too high, the Mondeo appears dull with an a/c not as good as what I'm used to, and there's no FG wagon through the range like Commodore has.

I'm afraid Ford is likely to miss out this time.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 05:08 PM   #10
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not the prettiest thing, but another example of what Im getting at. the just released US only Honda Crosstour. I see massive growth in this type of vehicle

Old 06-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #11
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

It's not the Falcon or Territory's fault that Ford sucks in every other category.
While I can see the possibility of a midsized vehicle being built on the Falcon platform,
I think Ford needs to press harder in advertising the rest of its range, they just seem invisible....

Teaching some of Ford's dealerships the finer arts in
respecting customers would be an excellent start as well.......
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Not the prettiest thing, but another example of what Im getting at. the just released US only Honda Crosstour. I see massive growth in this type of vehicle
*Shudders*
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #13
CFOUR
The Destroyer

i already don't fit in the back seat of a falcon, i sure as hell don't need a 45 degree roof.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:16 PM   #14
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

The Falcon is not an SUV, I'd sooner see it die from loss of sales than morph into latte sippers AWD town car.

As said above if this is the way of the future the Territory should fit the bill.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #15
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ho hum

1985..... the falcon is dead....people want smaller more fuel efficient cars

1998..... the falcon is dead....the price of fuel will stop sales of big cars

2006..... the falcon is dead..... petrol will be $1,000,000 /ml by lunchtime tomorrow

2010.... the falcon is dead....it must be true, it was in the newspaper and on the internet

2025... the falcon is dead

As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #16
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a load of ******* !!!

The Falcon must not chnage becuase SUV sales are going up.. That is why Ford built the Territ!! Maybe poeple might remember that when they say Ford should focus on a sportswagan over a SUV!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #17
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
luckily Ford has a template to copy... The new BMW 5 Series GT.

[img clipped]

BMW has their finger on the pulse, they see that sedans will become less relevant in the marketplace. Ford must see the investment that BMW has made in this vehicle as an example of where large family cars are heading.
BMW don't have their finger on the pulse, Subaru/Volvo/Audi have offered these cars to market very successfully for years. BMW is just the latest to get on the bandwagon.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #18
holland_ford

i think if they drop prices they sell alot more vehicles cars just cost so much these days and everyone wants more money
holland_ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #19
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32

There is talk of a shorter commodore in the near future.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 05:44 PM   #20
Dezza
Parts bin special

The Falcon has a always been based around the traditional large RWD sedan style, with other body styles (utes, wagons, vans, coupes etc.) based off this sedan. This is a theme that has been around since the Falcon debuted in 1960 and with the history the Falcon has, it shouldn't change one bit. A Falcon is not and never should be a hulking jacked up monstrosity which soccer mums generally buy because they want to look down on people. I don't want a 5-series GT or even anything remotely close to it's design, cars seem to be constantly getting taller, bulgier, and uglier. The last thing we need is for the Falcon to follow the trend

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #21
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If people hate the idea, then thats important for Ford to know

I know we have always heard the scaremongoring about the Falcon but look at today's market, in the end its the buyers which decide which lives or dies.

People loved the Fairlane (I still miss it) but the market had moved on from that kind of vehicle. The last thing we want is the Falcon slowing having the same fate as the Fairlane.

I can really see the 5 series Gt with its useful body, command driving position (great for old people), high hip points providing some great ideas for the next interpretation of the Falcon.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #22
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza
The Falcon has a always been based around the traditional large RWD sedan style, with other body styles (utes, wagons, vans, coupes etc.) based off this sedan. This is a theme that has been around since the Falcon debuted in 1960 and with the history the Falcon has, it shouldn't change one bit. A Falcon is not and never should be a hulking jacked up monstrosity which soccer mums generally buy because they want to look down on people. I don't want a 5-series GT or even anything remotely close to it's design, cars seem to be constantly getting taller, bulgier, and uglier. The last thing we need is for the Falcon to follow the trend
Agree with the Falcon should not go the SUV way.
Unfortunately they have got rid of the coupe and panel van some years ago, now pretty much the wagon as well. So no wonder the sales dont look as good as Commodore.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 05:57 PM   #23
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

If I recall correctly, many different manufacturers have been selling many different styles of cars that weren't at the top of the car sales.

Its like saying you should turn the Landcruiser into a 2 door FWD Hatchback because its being out sold by the Mazda 2. The Falcon accommodates a specific segment of the market and as long as that segment is there the Falcon will exist. Whether the size of that segment dwindles so much that the R&D funding for it is cut is another matter.

You can put a Falcon badge on a Territory, or a Fiesta, does that mean you will go out and trade in your FG for one?

Besides, the XTs already have a fair whack of ground clearance and large enough tyres to mount most gutters.
And if you want a car thats about the size of the falcon and that is hatchback, Guess what! Ford make a car just like that! Its called a Mondeo.
Buy it and slap on Falcon badge on it if that makes you happy.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 06:00 PM   #24
kezzer

eww, if thats the future of cars, then I'm going to stop buying new
FG XR6: pacemaker sterline coated headers, Xr8 snorkel + modified CAI, 100cpsi ballistic cat, 20" rims, lower with shocks, custom catback exhaust, custom spacers, tune soon to come, 1/4mile soon to come.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #25
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

I agree in the sense of change just not what is proposed on this thread, My thoughts would be for Ford to go back to basics, IE: basic floor coverings, just a basic stereo, windup windows, vinyl seats, no cigarette lighters or ashtrays, no extra electrics, take out all the stuff a car does not need to run on, there are plenty of cars in the market that are basic but still meet all the ADR's required to sell in Australia that are quite cheap, Ford can then option up from there. then do a sport wagon in a basic pack (this with the EB4 would make a great fleet pack), all these things will draw more customers back to Ford because they will be cheaper, as others on here stated, the car is not the problem, the price is. It does not matter what shape they car is if you cannot afford it.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #26
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry but this thread is just stupid.
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 06:43 PM   #27
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Has BMW abandoned the 5 series sedan? If Ford AU is only able to produce one body style based on their R&D budget I'm guessing they'd go for the most popular as opposed to a niche vehicle as described. The 5 Series GT piggybacks off the success of the sedan platform, without the sedan, it could not exist based on sales.

The Falcon Sedan / Territory business plan is the best for the Australian market, unfortunately Ford have not invested enough in the product to maintain their market advantage in either segment.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:44 PM   #28
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
My thoughts would be for Ford to go back to basics, IE: basic floor coverings, just a basic stereo, windup windows, vinyl seats, no cigarette lighters or ashtrays, no extra electrics, take out all the stuff a car does not need to run on,
You're really limting your scope of customer with a very basic car in a market that's seemingly asking for more gadgets at a cheaper price. It may have worked in the 80's but in this day and age people want more for less.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:44 PM   #29
Lightning Strike XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Or instead produce to current capacity of 2800 odd falcons a month and make a killer profit on the high end models.

It's all based on percentages.

www.bseries.com.au/04xr6

Buying or Selling property in Melbourne PM me!
Lightning Strike XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #30
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84ltd
You're really limting your scope of customer with a very basic car in a market that's seemingly asking for more gadgets at a cheaper price. It may have worked in the 80's but in this day and age people want more for less.
I did say that they could option them up from there, if your company can come in at at just a couple of thousand dollars less than the previous model because there is nothing in it, when you have a customer interested in buying one or some then option up from there, as for the wagon, do a sports pack starting from EB4 all the way though to coyote. A lot of people still don't care for accessories, they just want that shape of car, so make it cheaper somehow.
Ford sold a lot of cars in the eighties, I think they were market leader when they were selling cars like this.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post