Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-04-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default LPG system has gotta go

Well I think Im basically over the idea of trying to get the LPG working on a performance level for my car.

I've had nothing but comment after comment of people saying I cant do a mixer ring style setup with boost. That and more people wanting me to fork out 4.5k on a LVI system! As some of you know I already have a Parnell system on my car that is currently disconnected due to my supercharger.

The issues I have had in trying to find someone willing to setup an affordable system is mind boggling.

I really really dont want to spend 4.5k to get this to work.

What about the rebate? What about it....

The system I have on here now was fitted 2 years ago. So ineligible to receive rebate honestly. Cant use some of the existing parts either as the rules state no upgrades are claimable.

I was told a possible removal of existing system, and re-registering my car as a straight petrol car in the chance to receive the rebate was an option, but frankly I cant be bothered. It will cost me to get it removed anyway. I might as well sell the system, get some money back, and boot space, and drive it as is.

I've had it up to the eyeballs. Im sick of spending countless of thousands on stuff that frankly WONT give me bang for buck. I think Im gonna leave it as is. Drive it as a dedicated petrol vehicle.

So the gas has gotta go.

What are these systems worth second hand?

PS. Sorry if I sound non punctual, Im tired and just got back from the dentist.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
5L
[ 5L ]

sell the gas system shav and get it tuned to e85. e85+boost is a match made in heaven. and will more than likely get you closer to you 200rwkw goal.

in all honesty i dont think the 4litre or 5litre go through that much petrol. you just need to watch the right foot. i normally spend around $70 a week on fuel for 500 or so km's. my gf spends about the same and does the same km's. with yours boosted i think you should still be able to get 400-450km's which isnt bad.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Thanks Shane.

Im currently getting about 420km now on a tank of ultimate. Thats in the city with some spirited driving.

Where would I get e85 anyway? I havent seen it at the pumps here in the south yet?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 02-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Sorry to hear that noone is willing to help you with a performance mixer ring set up.

Have you sent a PM to TrickXD? He appears to be very well acquainted with such matters.

In any case, all the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #5
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Thanks GK.

It was a setup my wife wanted more than me, but everytime I mentioned the $$$ she got p!55ed off with what she heard.

I think she is just over it as much as me.

I just wanna know what these systems are worth selling for?

I'll relook the issue in 12months time

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 02-04-2009, 09:50 PM   #6
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Boost plus gas can be done.

My car has a Gas Research throttle body, twin b2 converters and twin lines to the tank. Has plenty of flow, and drives fine.

I've got another GRA S510 throttle body and twin GRA converters with a bracket to suit AU sitting at home. I'm happy to take any pics or details that may help you, so feel free to give me a yell! (I'm a bit green with it all, so bear with me though!!!)
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2009, 10:33 PM   #7
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

of course u can get a mixer ring setup to run properly and get good power.

u can do the exact same setup like private9 said and just have to get someone up ur way to put it together and tune it.

Also a intercooler would be a good idea as well. u would want to keep the temp down and less chance of detonation
Old 03-04-2009, 12:00 AM   #8
blueoval
Critical Thinker

I was told doing this with a supercharger is different to turbo. I could risk back firing and damaging the supercharger. Thats something I dont want to leave to chance. Something to do with positive air pressure??? Was told the GRA TB's can be temperamental for a supercharged application.

This was the words from a guy at Graham West Workshops here in SA who are recommended resellers & fitters of GRA products.

Then there is the issue of the rebate. I really wanted to use the rebate to help pay for the costs, but that doesnt look like its gonna happen.

All in all, I've kinda lost a bit of interest to go down this path, moreso from a financial aspect.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 03-04-2009, 12:31 AM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it can be done done, my mate had a 3.0 litre supra making a reliable 350+ rwkw through the 9", however it was a lot of head aches and not cheap.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 12:53 AM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

My advice was to let RTA know you've removed the gas (ie change rego details, not -register the car). Anyway, remove the gas and sell it, if that's what you want to do. In the long run, it will be cheaper than spending $'000 ossibly to get the gas working, just to save $30 per week.

2nd hand gas systems are not dear - you may be lucky to get $500 for it, or you may get $1000. I wouldn't expect to move it quickly though (most people buy new).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 11:06 AM   #11
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
My advice was to let RTA know you've removed the gas (ie change rego details, not -register the car). Anyway, remove the gas and sell it, if that's what you want to do. In the long run, it will be cheaper than spending $'000 ossibly to get the gas working, just to save $30 per week.

2nd hand gas systems are not dear - you may be lucky to get $500 for it, or you may get $1000. I wouldn't expect to move it quickly though (most people buy new).
Thanks JC. Appreciate your comments on this. You understand where Im coming from.

As far as selling the gas system is concerned, Im prepared to wait for the right person. If I can get that sort of money your saying, I will be happy. I just want to get something back for it thats all.

Anyone wanna buy it??? :P

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 03-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #12
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

I'm sure there'd be a fellow forumite who'd be interested.......make sure you give the E-series & B-series guys a heads up as well......
Old 03-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #13
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Remove it and get it tuned up on good pump fuel. Less head aches, and any weight reduction (removal of gas set up)-is going to be a bonus. You could also get a multi stage flash tune for a lot cheaper than the 4.5k gas set up, then you can have the best of both worlds- economy tune, and a race tune.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:27 PM   #14
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

quite a few guys from the Boosted forums have their cars running LPG + boost (either supercharged or turbocharged).

6 spring to mind, 5 are banned from here though, so you'd be best asking/searching over there mate.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #15
blueoval
Critical Thinker

dave - thanks mate will do.

Mont - Yes you are right. But in the end, I want end the spending for a while. Its getting on my goat at the moment. The cost of a decent setup whether by mixer ring or LVI has put me off. To top it off Im not eligible for the rebate.

Ghia5L - thanks, Im a member of that forum already. Many there have had success but at big cost financially. Most have been able to get the grant to assist them.

EDIT: I think people could be forgetting too that I am after a dual fuel setup not straight LPG which is far easier to attain power from. There was always going to be a compromise with doing it like this, and my options were slim to begin with. Just about everyone Ive spoken to has said LVI is the best option for dual fuel boosted application.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic

Last edited by blueoval; 03-04-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:26 PM   #16
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Granted, Rmyers spent $$$$ on his supercharger setup (because he wanted a full-on show car) however most of the other members did so with budgets of around $2000-5000, and used mixer ring (or GRA t/b) setups, not injection stuff.

Those budgets included gas AND turbo gear. You already have the supercharger gear, and most of the suitable gas gear, it sounds like you just need to swap/fiddle with a few bits of your gas setup (balance lines, spring rates in converters, bigger or dual converters, GRA t/b instead of mixer ring, etc) and you should be laughing.

I'm no pro though, ask the guys who have done it without injection

Oh, another thought: TURBOTAXI on here did it didn't he?

EDIT to your edit: 3 of the Boosted members I'm thinking of run dual fuel, albeit turbo setups not supercharged.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:56 PM   #17
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
Granted, Rmyers spent $$$$ on his supercharger setup (because he wanted a full-on show car) however most of the other members did so with budgets of around $2000-5000, and used mixer ring (or GRA t/b) setups, not injection stuff.

Those budgets included gas AND turbo gear. You already have the supercharger gear, and most of the suitable gas gear, it sounds like you just need to swap/fiddle with a few bits of your gas setup (balance lines, spring rates in converters, bigger or dual converters, GRA t/b instead of mixer ring, etc) and you should be laughing.

I'm no pro though, ask the guys who have done it without injection

Oh, another thought: TURBOTAXI on here did it didn't he?

EDIT to your edit: 3 of the Boosted members I'm thinking of run dual fuel, albeit turbo setups not supercharged.
Yes a turbo setup was always going to be easier to achieve a dual fuel situation than supercharging. For a GRA setup to work on a supercharger, I was told a draw thru setup was the way to go. (tb before the supercharger) but with the lack of room to do this it was going to be difficult. Blow thru setup (TB between the s/c and engine) was a major issue. LPG doesnt like to be forced into an intake manifold. It was always going to be better to inject vapor into the cylinder directly. (aka SVI/LVI)

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 03-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #18
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Why would a supercharger setup differ to a turbo setup when it comes to blow-through vs suck-through? Boost is boost. (let's not look in to how a centrifugal blower builds boost linearly with revs whereas turbos work off engine load)

That's where fiddling with the converter spring & proper placement of balance lines comes in to play when it comes to getting it all to work nicely.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:32 PM   #19
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Why would a supercharger setup differ to a turbo setup when it comes to blow-through vs suck-through? Boost is boost. (let's not look in to how a centrifugal blower builds boost linearly with revs whereas turbos work off engine load)

That's where fiddling with the converter spring & proper placement of balance lines comes in to play when it comes to getting it all to work nicely.
Apparently it has something to do with positive and negative air pressure loads. I dont know the full technicalities/logistics of it, but from the professionals whom Ive spoken to, they have said its very risky running a GRA or similar setup AND DUAL FUEL on any boosted application. Which to some degree I didnt beleive considering the boys on boosted falcon have done it with a measure of success.

I think unless I see it working on someones car with my own eyes, I'll be more willing to get someone to give it a crack.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 03-04-2009, 03:39 PM   #20
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Sicne you're based in SA & most of the Boosted guys are Vic-based, seeing with your own eyes may be difficult :(

Quote:
Apparently it has something to do with positive and negative air pressure loads.
^^^ that's where getting the right converter spring and correct placement of balance lines comes in, so you don't get issues like backfiring or stalling when snapping off the throttle.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #21
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
^^^ that's where getting the right converter spring and correct placement of balance lines comes in, so you don't get issues like backfiring or stalling when snapping off the throttle.
I see. Well there isnt many here willing to play around with converters here. Otherwise I'd give it a go.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 03-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #22
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Jump onto Boosted & you'll most likely get informed responses from Kaddis, Sunny, & John about their experiences with getting their LPG setups right.

And surely an LPG tuner in SA will be able to do things such as swapping converter springs over, or it may be something you could do yourself (disclaimer: I don't know myself and would be asking those who have done this before what they did before attempting to fiddle with the LPG yourself!)
Old 03-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #23
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Ive spoken to John. His setup us very similar to mine except he has FMIC and running a powerdyne. He is running a GRA tb too. Seems to have no issues. I'll look at it again in 12months time

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 03-04-2009, 05:42 PM   #24
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Another John? I meant EFFalcon.

I'm guessing you talked with Steve (powerdyne + fmic).

Well, good luck with what you go with Since you already have an LPG system, and a fitted supercharger, I really do think you'd be best off getting the gas right. Beats paying $1.30/L at the bowser!
Old 03-04-2009, 08:35 PM   #25
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Another John? I meant EFFalcon.

I'm guessing you talked with Steve (powerdyne + fmic).

Well, good luck with what you go with Since you already have an LPG system, and a fitted supercharger, I really do think you'd be best off getting the gas right. Beats paying $1.30/L at the bowser!
I appreciate your concerns mate. Thanks for your interest. I will get back on the LPG wagon eventually, but I wanna do it all right and in one hit rather than bits and piece's here and there. I reckon LVI is the way to go for me eventually.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 05-04-2009, 11:29 PM   #26
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This dude may be able to help you but he is melb and a workshop done his LPG conversion oh his supercharged falcon

http://www./viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7868
Old 06-04-2009, 01:25 PM   #27
blueoval
Critical Thinker

link doesnt work mickyyyy

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 06-04-2009, 02:13 PM   #28
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

it's meant to have a certain forum name in it ;)

It's Rmyers' build thread.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:23 PM   #29
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It dosent let me post it here for some reason

I'll pm you the link
Old 06-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #30
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Sorry to hear this news.

Anything I can do to help?

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post