Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-07-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Focus 1.0 Ecoboost now selling in Europe

Hi guys,
I subscribe to a Norwegian car magazine, sent down under every month. This month they tested Ford Focus 1.0 Ecoboost, and it got much better reviews than a Hyundai 1.6 with 120 Hp. According to the test, the Focus 3-cylinder was the most impressive eco-car tested in a long time, quite effortlessly moved along the traffic. In comparison the Hyundai with 1.6-litre had to be punished to keep up..

Anyway, I doubt the Focus 1.0 will be offered here in Australia any time soon, or has anyone heard any plans?

By the way, Wikipedia article on Ecoboost states that Focus ST will get Ecoboost 2-litre in 2013. That will probably be a very nice drive, at a lot better fuel economy than the current 5-cylinder ST / XR5.

Cheers

happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Focus 1.0 Ecoboost now selling in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1
Hi guys,
I subscribe to a Norwegian car magazine, sent down under every month. This month they tested Ford Focus 1.0 Ecoboost, and it got much better reviews than a Hyundai 1.6 with 120 Hp. According to the test, the Focus 3-cylinder was the most impressive eco-car tested in a long time, quite effortlessly moved along the traffic. In comparison the Hyundai with 1.6-litre had to be punished to keep up..

Anyway, I doubt the Focus 1.0 will be offered here in Australia any time soon, or has anyone heard any plans?

By the way, Wikipedia article on Ecoboost states that Focus ST will get Ecoboost 2-litre in 2013. That will probably be a very nice drive, at a lot better fuel economy than the current 5-cylinder ST / XR5.

Cheers
Thanks for the news on 1.0 EB happy1,
Looks like Focus will get an engine with the torque of a 2.0 with a combined of 5 l/100 km,
if that doesn't turn a few heads around, then there's something wrong with economy buyers.

Maybe Ford should fight fire with fire and use Thai imports more for winning Govco contracts,
something like 1.0 EB Ambiente, made in Thailand, perhaps approved beyond Euro 6?

The best indicator of Focus ST's reduced thirst is to look at the Mondeo 2.0 EB which
scores around 8 l/100km where as XR5 Turbo was up around 9.5 l/100 km. I'd expect
a similar decrease in fuel consumption with the coming ST over the previous I5T model...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

The European Fiesta also has the choice of the 1 litre turbo, given great reviews in Europe: similar performance to the 1.6 n/a but with fuel use in the 3's.... Ford Aus of course has no plans to bring it here.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Eerrr the new ST isn't getting it, it already has it. Might be better on fuel but it will never sound as good.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
Ford Aus of course has no plans to bring it here.
This is one thing that baffles me. The EcoBoost range of engines are fantastic, yet we've only got two - one in the Mondeo, and one in Falcon, and no plans to bring EcoBoost to Focus or Fiesta. If the EcoSport can have the 1.0 litre EcoBoost, why not the Fiesta and Focus? And why can't we also have the 1.6 EcoBoost in the Focus? I would've thought that's a no-brainer.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No no no.
We also cant have a 6 speed manual in Focus or Fiesta.
Nor can we have the 1.6 diesel in the Fiesta specced to 82kw / 270 nm as per Peugeot-same motor just we get the 66kw / 200 nm version.

Every other 4 cyl car in manual seems to be six speed but not Ford.

If torque is the new horsepower current Oz petrol motors in Focus/Fiesta are anaemic!
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
The European Fiesta also has the choice of the 1 litre turbo, given great reviews in Europe: similar performance to the 1.6 n/a but with fuel use in the 3's.... Ford Aus of course has no plans to bring it here.
1.0 Ecoboost engine will start poduction in India later this year, I bet Ford supply it to Thailand for Fiesta and Focus..
Old 25-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #8
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Eerrr the new ST isn't getting it, it already has it. Might be better on fuel but it will never sound as good.
The Fiesta ST gets the 1.6 turbo, not the 1 litre. It won't be brought here because of cost as it's European. If it gets built in Thailand it may eventually be brought here...
Old 25-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Ford have already said the Fiesta ST will be coming here.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #10
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1L Ecoboost will replace the 1.6NA eventually
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Focus ST onsale in Australia Nov 1st. Limited to 400.

That's my rumour since I can't find a link for it anywhere.

Lukeyson
Old 25-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #12
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Ford have already said the Fiesta ST will be coming here.
The ST that Aus will get (in very limited) numbers will have the 1.6 turbo. There's no economic case for the 1 litre turbo, apparently.... At least not when it comes from Europe.
Old 25-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #13
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The ST that Aus will get (in very limited) numbers will have the 1.6 turbo. There's no economic case for the 1 litre turbo, apparently.... At least not when it comes from Europe.
1.0 Ecoboost engine will start poduction in India later this year, I bet Ford supply it to Thailand for Fiesta and Focus..
Old 27-07-2012, 02:56 AM   #14
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1-litre sounds quite small for a car like Focus or Fiesta, however it is the turbocharger and the direct injection that makes it viable.

In the past I have both positive and negative experience with turbocharged small engines. I have test driven a 0.7 litre Smart Roadster tuned to 172 Hp. That was a conventional fuel injected engine with racing camshaft and uprated turbocharger. I don't know how durable that engine would be. - The owner said no problems at all, (but he had already blown up one engine when trying to tune it further)

On the other hand I know that the Smart engines even with normal power are worn out after 60 to 80.000 km. The piston rings give up, and the cylinders are glazed. I don't know if that is due to poor design by Mercedes, or just the constant stress the little engine is running under.

It will be interesting to see how the Ecoboost will respond to tuning, and also interesting to see if Ford can build the engines with good enough parts to last better than the MCC Smart engines did.

If a Smart 0.7 litre can do 172 Hp, then a 1.0 Ecoboost with direct injection should be able to do somewhere above 200 Hp... hehe
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post