The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-07-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Default New Gt

FPV plots new model onslaught
Image 03 of 04

PrevNext
Limited-edition ‘Panther’ GT just the beginning of a new model rollout from a streamlined Ford Performance Vehicles
» Get the best price on a new FPV
Ford Performance Vehicles is about to launch the first in a series of new models designed to reinvigorate the Blue Oval’s recently “right-sized” performance brand.

First up next month will be a limited-edition GT-based model codenamed ‘Panther’ and inspired by Ford’s limited-edition black-and-red 2012 Mustang Boss 302 sold in the US (pictured).

Billed as “the most advanced GT to date”, Panther will be officially unveiled at a media event in Melbourne on August 13, before first examples are offered to the press from August 27.

Although it will be powered by the same 335kW/575Nm supercharged 5.0-litre V8 seen in the standard GT, next month’s limited-edition is said to deliver improved acceleration courtesy of wider 275-section rear tyres on wider 9.0-inch wheels, which should improve traction over the regular GT on its standard 19x8.0-inch alloys with 245/35 R19 tyres.

Also like the first ever FPV concept revealed at last year’s Melbourne Motor Show – but not the production-ready GT Black limited-edition released a month later in August - the Panther is also expected to feature firmer ‘R-spec’ track-tuned suspension and a performance brake package, making it the most focussed GT ever offered to the public.

FPV’s Mustang-inspired GT will look as fast as it accelerates (to 100km/h in less than five seconds, if recent reports prove correct), with an all-black paint scheme featuring red decals and highlights like the Mustang Boss 302 and a more aggressive front bumper design worn by last year’s limited-edition GT Black.

FPV included a strategically lit teaser image of the new limited-edition in its media launch invite, in which a red grille surround and wing mirror caps can be clearly seen.

The more aggressive front bumper design doesn’t feature the larger brake cooling ducts seen on the Black concept, however, and it remains to be seen whether the limited-edition features the Mustang Boss 302’s black-painted Brembo brake callipers and bold red side decals, red wheels and red roof.

While just 125 examples of the GT Black were built – priced $3000 higher than the standard GT at $74,290 plus on-road costs – it’s believed about 185 versions of the GT ‘Panther’ will be made available.

The good news doesn’t stop there for FPV fans, however. Motoring understands the Panther will be a precursor for another, hotter limited-edition, this time dubbed ‘Tempest’ and motivated by a more powerful 375kW intercooled version of FPV’s locally developed ‘Miami’-spec supercharged 5.0-litre Boss V8.

Like Panther, Tempest is expected to ride on firmer R-spec suspension and 275-section rear tyres, which will also help make it the quickest production FPV ever.

Spotted testing at Melbourne’s Calder Park Raceway in recent weeks, Tempest is expected to be revealed at the Sydney Motor Show in October and should be available in three exterior paint colours, while a limited run of 85 FPV Super Pursuit utes is also expected to emerge soon.

FPV, which sacked general manager Rod Barrett and several employees as part of a company restructure in June, launched its FGII Falcon-based line-up earlier this year and the 310kW/565Nm 4.0-litre turbocharged F6 sedan/ute and F6E sedan models continue to be available alongside the GS sedan/ute and GT, GT-P and GT-E sedans.

However, rumours of an upgraded permanent FPV range, the return of the long-lamented Falcon XR8 nameplate and even a factory right-hand drive version of the latest Mustang refuse to go away.

Ford and FPV, which to May this year sold just 379 vehicles compared to 891 for its most direct rival in Holden Special Vehicles, are desperate to increase sales of their homegrown models in the face of downward-spiralling large-car sales, and a reinvigorated V8 model line-up from both brands would play a small but symbolic role in reviving Ford’s sales fortunes.

The last Ford-badged V8 model was built in June 2010 when new emissions regulations forced Ford Australia to pull the rug on its 5.4-litre V8-powered XR8, and the future of Ford Australia’s Broadmeadows-built rear-drive Falcon is guaranteed only until 2016.

But motoring.com.au understands there are plans afoot to reintroduce the XR8 after a three-year hiatus next year, powered by the same ‘Laguna Seca’-spec version of the naturally aspirated ‘Coyote’ 5.0-litre V8 that powers the Mustang Boss 302.

That engine develops 328kW in standard form, which would be more than a match for the 270kW 6.0-litre GM V8 that powers Holden’s Commodore SS, but has thus far been incompatible with the Falcon, for which Ford Australia has not developed an upgraded ECU capable of handling the Coyote crate engine’s variable exhaust valve timing system.

For its part, FPV is keen to recoup the $40 million it invested in the blown Miami V8 made available in the GT from October 2010, so we expect the current GT’s 335kW/575Nm V8 to continue in an upgraded version of the FPV GS, which ironically replaced the XR8 in 2010.

The current supercharged GS engine produces 315kW/545Nm and continues to open the existing FPV sedan range at $57,990. If they eventuate, Ford’s atmo XR8 and FPV’s upgraded GS would both ride on the same 245-section rear rubber currently employed by the GS.

The upgraded GT, GT-P and GT-E models, meantime, are likely to employ an intercooled and supercharged V8 to deliver at least 355kW to the road via 275-section rear tyres.

Of course, a more powerful version of FPV’s blown Miami V8 again raises hopes of a born-again GTHO range-topper, which had been expected to emerge at last year’s Bathurst 1000 – exactly 40 years after Allan Moffat’s famous 1971 Bathurst win in the Falcon GTHO.

Mr Barrett - who was replaced as FPV general manager by Bryan Mears, the Asia Pacific chief of British-based Prodrive, which owns a controlling 51 per cent stake in FPV – never hid his enthusiasm for a reborn GTHO, but motoring.com.au sources remain quiet on that front.

“The good news is that FPV is set for stronger sales this year than last, and we have some very exciting new product to talk about later in the year,” said Mr Mears in June.

Before he left FPV, Mr Barrett confirmed to motoring.com.au that at least one new FPV model – powered by “a version” of its localised ‘Miami’ blown V8 – was in the offing.

“FPV is currently working on new product due for release sometime within the next 12 months,” he said. “A version of the supercharged Miami engine sits at its heart and whilst we are excited by the opportunities we cannot say any more at this moment.”

Read the latest news and reviews on your mobile, iPhone or PDA at carsales' mobile site...

Powered By Motoring.com.au
words - Marton Pettendy Published : Monday, 16 July 20

blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2012, 01:37 AM   #2
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New Gt

Link to story:
http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2012...nslaught-31320
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's time to make another visit to my local ford dealer for a chat.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Tempest.

Do I sense a red rim around the grille? And the car looks to be a blood/claret/ burgandy colour......

So far - I'm liking what I'm reading and seeing....
Old 19-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
crymoarpls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Do I sense a red rim around the grille?
golf gtis have had that and they've been selling well.
crymoarpls is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
zoomie
Owner of "0066" F6 310

Quote:

Tempest.

Do I sense a red rim around the grille? And the car looks to be a blood/claret/ burgandy colour......

Yep on the Black cars the upper and lower grilles are red as well as the mirror scalpes and foglights surrounds (and of course the red "C" stripe on the sides of the car)
The rims also have red highlights around the spoke areas.
Old 19-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #7
grey_esp
Greys tuf too :-)

does it cost a lot to develop a mould for a bumper? Surely if they are releasing a new model they could put different bars on it to make it look like a new model.
grey_esp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_esp
does it cost a lot to develop a mould for a bumper? Surely if they are releasing a new model they could put different bars on it to make it look like a new model.
i`d say they are on a budget seeing they just put 440 people on notice.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

Tempest.

Thats Panther, not Tempest. Tempest will be the hi-po intercooled model.

And its black in colour. It will come in 4 colours, black, white, red and silver?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #10
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_esp
Not for a limited edition, they are only making 125?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #11
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Yes, my guess is the new bumper will be on the new GTHO (or what ever they call it)

And, it will on display at the motorshow.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2012, 10:49 PM   #12
gtfpv
GT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLY7yI1xV-M
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #13
DaveD

@gtfpv

"Ok you guys, k, relax, take a deep breath, it'll be fine don't worry, you ready? Ohh happy days!"

DaveD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 01:42 AM   #14
BHDOGS
Banned

typical thread good news barley any reply's bad news thousands viewed hundreds respond and the sky is falling
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 02:10 AM   #15
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

I'll believe it when I see it, I love FPV and dads is great, however sticker/badge packs and floormats seem all to familar with FPV's "R-Spec" models.
99AUXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 02:13 AM   #16
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Gets firmer suspension, wider tyres, probably an uprated motor.....sounds like much more than a sticker pack to me.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 02:21 AM   #17
rubber fire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i like the part about the GTE's will be getting the new rear as well mite just
hold off buying one for now and see what is happening in the new year
rubber fire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #18
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
Gets firmer suspension, wider tyres, probably an uprated motor.....sounds like much more than a sticker pack to me.
Does sound however I read the words "rumoured" and "beleived" alot in that article
Old 20-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #19
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

They lost me a bit when they said a new XR8 would come with the "Laguna Seca" spec Coyote. The standard engine had worries about torque delivery that ultimately led to the development of Miami, the hipo engine sacrifices more torque for high rpm power. AKA not Gunna happen as an XR8.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #20
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Some really great news! Future sounds more promising than it did a month ago! Onwards and upwards!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #21
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR
Does sound however I read the words "rumoured" and "beleived" alot in that article
... and 275 rear rims. R-Spec is enough to keep things churning and people chatting ..... and it isn't rumoured. Better than sitting on your hands doing nothing. Nothing wrong with a special edition, even if the main differences are some colours, badges and stickers for a different look. Nothing at all.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #22
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Special editions sell

*cough* thunder ute *cough*

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #23
99AUXR
Brad

Yes they do sell, however something like a W427 would be awesome for ford owners, minus the dry sump. Anyway the GT has been pushed to the side at moment as the Americans seem to be offering a car to fill in this gap at the moment.
Old 21-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #24
BaraFGXR6

302 motor in xr8!

Best bit of that whole article :P
2012 Navara STX manual - sold.
2013 Focus ST - sold.
2015 XLS ranger auto - sold.
2017 VW Golf work car.. current..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
I'm going to convert my turbo to NA, just to see your head explode.
BaraFGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2012, 11:50 PM   #25
Buntz
Straight Eight

Why can't they put racey bits on it. Like a front splitter and rear diffuser. Recaro Seats?

That kind of thing.
Old 26-07-2012, 12:09 AM   #26
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Because the intended market wouldn't buy it and those who would like it couldn't buy it ........ at a guess?

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2012, 01:19 AM   #27
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Because the intended market wouldn't buy it and those who would like it couldn't buy it ........ at a guess?
People shelled out for those GT Blacks
Old 26-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #28
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

What has the GTBlack got that's remotely similar to what you suggested?
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #29
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Thats Panther, not Tempest. Tempest will be the hi-po intercooled model.
Panther sounds like a fast, powerful car... Tempest sounds like a grandpa spec slomobile.
Old 26-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #30
strobe

Wasn't Tempest a saucy gladiator?....or is my memory failing me?
strobe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post