Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-01-2006, 02:25 PM   #1
Blade Hunter
Starter Motor

Default Question re: Econ mode

OK So I picked up the Fairlane (AUIII) recently. When my dad sold it to me he told me the Econ mode is not like in normal cars but has to be actually configured or something (this is what the dealer told him) and that simply turning it on does nothing until you program it.

My questions are:
a) Is this true?
b) Do I have to read the manual or is it a really easy thing to configure?

Cheers

Blade Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2006, 02:28 PM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

econ is lower revs at gear change and a little sluggish to respond to accelerator changes, i.e. plant it, and it thinks then does it.

never heard of it needing to learn.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2006, 02:34 PM   #3
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Also gear changes are a little more jerky - good at hard accleration :

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2006, 02:50 PM   #4
jmc-007

I think he is talking about Adaptive Shift. the AUII/AUIII Tickford equiped I6 and a few other of the cars got this as standard.

Power Mode, Learn Mode and Econ mode.

if you do a search for adaptive shift you can find the procedure on here how to chage it.
jmc-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2006, 02:53 PM   #5
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

If you have an Economy button by the tbar then there is no programming its off or on. In economy it changes up earlier and is less responive to kickdown. With Ecomony mode off it holds gears a bit longer and will change down earlier.

There was adaptive shift available in some models (XR and T series) which has six modes which learn from driving patterns or could be manually set by a key on tbar position sequence.

if you buy an AU XR6 VCT Auto ecu you can get this adaptive shift.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2006, 03:30 PM   #6
Blade Hunter
Starter Motor

Thanks guys, its just the AUIII Fairmont, without the tickford motor. The last Fairmont my folks had was an AUII Ghia and it had the Tickford 6 but I have seen very very few of these around, were they not common?.

Thanks for the help re: econ mode, Lets see if I can get the fuel econ below 10.2 now .
Old 23-01-2006, 04:00 PM   #7
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Hunter
Thanks guys, its just the AUIII Fairmont, without the tickford motor. The last Fairmont my folks had was an AUII Ghia and it had the Tickford 6 but I have seen very very few of these around, were they not common?.

Thanks for the help re: econ mode, Lets see if I can get the fuel econ below 10.2 now .
10.2? :| i want your fuel economy.
Old 23-01-2006, 04:05 PM   #8
Blade Hunter
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
10.2? :| i want your fuel economy.
Hehehe it was 8.2 coming home from QLD . Thats NOT in econ mode either

Funny my last car revved out to 8,200 RPM and I used to do it constantly, my fuel econ in that was 11.4 average because at 120KMH it was doing 4,000RPM in 6th gear but in this new car, I dunno its auto and a 6, I just have no desire to floor it. I think im also a little nervous, I have only ever owned FWD 4 Cyl < 2 Litres so its a big change for me .

Last edited by Blade Hunter; 23-01-2006 at 04:12 PM.
Old 23-01-2006, 10:29 PM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Econ mode makes little difference on the highway. And really makes bugger all difference around town too. Better just to turn it off and let your foot decide when to drop down gears or not.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 01:23 PM   #10
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I have a strange question. If you're in Econ mode and you put the throttle down just a little less than is required to trigger a kickdown, does the throttle pedal position still dictate the amount of fuel being sent to the engine?

So, in theory, does putting the pedal down to the same spot in both Econ and Power modes use the same fuel, just restricting the gears changing and therefore revving?

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 03:42 PM   #11
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

hahaha - thats not how engines work mate - your foot controls a buttlerfly flap in the throttle body that controls the amount of air the engine takes in - more foot = more air = more fuel. You skipped a step - more foot = more fuel isn't how it works.

I think there was something in the technical section. I was reading it last night, but now I can't find it.

Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 24-01-2006, 04:14 PM   #12
Blade Hunter
Starter Motor

Also, the revs are not a massive contributor, standing on the accelerator in 5th (in a manual) at low revs will use more fuel than just touching the accelerator in 3rd at higher revs but the same speed.

a great example is my previous car sat at 4,000RPM in 6th gear at 120KMH but was not what I would call a gas guzzler.
Old 24-01-2006, 04:42 PM   #13
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Have a look here for some good info on what the modes do.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/vbporta...warticle&id=36
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 07:19 PM   #14
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Thanks jonbays - thats what i was looking for.

Old 24-01-2006, 10:16 PM   #15
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Econ mode makes little difference on the highway. And really makes bugger all difference around town too. Better just to turn it off and let your foot decide when to drop down gears or not.
I've never really driven long distances on the highway out of economy mode. In fact I hardly drive it out of economy mode full stop.

I don't mind the way it changes up, still fine but it's annoying when trying to get it to kick down, especially with the aircon on in these hot months!

GK
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post