Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-01-2006, 10:10 PM   #1
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Default Hot day = Clunk Clunk.

G'day all, got a small issue with my AU, just wondering if any has had a similar problem or can point me in the right direction.

I'm getting a clunk from the front left of the AU, it occurs when you are at a stand still and you release your foot off the brake, it goes clunk.

Then when you go to brake (hard or soft) the last two metres of braking it goes clunk, clunk, clunk.

It's a dull noise, doesn't sound metallic, and occurs on hot days 30 deg plus. The hotter it gets the more it clunks. On a day in the low 20's or below it will never happen.

It never makes the sound when you are cruising or accelerating, nor does it happen over bumps etc. Steering, braking and suspension all feel fine.

Any suggestions??? It's hard to take it to someone to check it out when it's doesn't always do it.

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2006, 10:20 PM   #2
max^power
Formerly au^ute

have you replaced the pads and or rotors?
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2006, 10:25 PM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au2falcons
G'day all, got a small issue with my AU, just wondering if any has had a similar problem or can point me in the right direction.

I'm getting a clunk from the front left of the AU, it occurs when you are at a stand still and you release your foot off the brake, it goes clunk.

Then when you go to brake (hard or soft) the last two metres of braking it goes clunk, clunk, clunk.

It's a dull noise, doesn't sound metallic, and occurs on hot days 30 deg plus. The hotter it gets the more it clunks. On a day in the low 20's or below it will never happen.

It never makes the sound when you are cruising or accelerating, nor does it happen over bumps etc. Steering, braking and suspension all feel fine.

Any suggestions??? It's hard to take it to someone to check it out when it's doesn't always do it.
Could be worn front anti-roll bar bushes (where it mounts to the chassis, not the link ends).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2006, 10:26 PM   #4
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Yes it's got DBA slotted rottors on it and benix pads. It did this with the factory discs on it too. It has been doing it since about 40000k's, discs changes at 60. It was barely noticeable, but now it's at 84000k's and it's getting worse.

The only known issue with the front end is that the steering rack has a minor contamination (seepage) on the left hand side.

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Old 21-01-2006, 10:39 PM   #5
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Could be worn front anti-roll bar bushes (where it mounts to the chassis, not the link ends).
So would the rubber be shrinking in the heat and causing some play??

Old 21-01-2006, 10:55 PM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
So would the rubber be shrinking in the heat and causing some play??
Could be. All I know is I had a clunk clunk noise on mine when I bought it second hand, and it turned out to be those bushes. $40 later, and all sway bar bushes replaced and noise was gone.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2006, 10:58 PM   #7
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Ok, i'll pop my head under there tommorrow and have and see what condition they are in. May be worth a shot.

Old 21-01-2006, 11:12 PM   #8
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Do you feel anything through the steering when the clunk noise happens - could be warped rotars.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2006, 11:17 PM   #9
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Nope nothing through the wheel, cant be warped rotors. I changed the original rotors because they were warped (it was doing it at that time). After replacing the rotors I thought that it may have fixed the problem, though the same day the rotors were replaced it did it again.

I didn't think it's a brake issue, more like when the brakes are applied there is a force generated on a componet that has play, causing the clunk.

Old 21-01-2006, 11:26 PM   #10
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My ute had the same clunk as you discribed,I never got to the cause just sprayed silicon around the passenger side suspension area and it went away for a few days but was only apparent on hot days,It was probly one of the bushes though
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 09:50 AM   #11
sbcb
BA Xr8

Sounds exactly what I just had. Upper ball joint was the cause, replaced it and noise all gone. I thought it was brakes initially but I could not consistently re-produce the noise. It was an annoying noise only noticed at stop/start driving, usually only when the car was warmer. Ford service agents are pretty good now at finding the bumps and thumps of the AU. Get them to check it and advise you.
It we were gambling I would put a good chunk on this being your problem.
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 11:32 AM   #12
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcb
Sounds exactly what I just had. Upper ball joint was the cause, replaced it and noise all gone. I thought it was brakes initially but I could not consistently re-produce the noise. It was an annoying noise only noticed at stop/start driving, usually only when the car was warmer. Ford service agents are pretty good now at finding the bumps and thumps of the AU. Get them to check it and advise you.
It we were gambling I would put a good chunk on this being your problem.
I agree that this is the cause, but the upper ball joints can be lubed by a Ford dealer instead of replacing them.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 12:48 PM   #13
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

hmmm interesting, I had a look at the anti roll bar bushes, they still look new and no sign of deteriation.

I'm not keen on taking any of my cars to ford ever again so I'll have to take it to a steering place and get it looked over.

Old 22-01-2006, 01:58 PM   #14
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Upper ball joints is my guess too.

Drill them and put in a grease nipple and pump them full of grease and the noise goes away. if they are stuffed then replace them.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 03:50 PM   #15
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

my car does the same and not being that mechanicly minded im not sure wat to look for can some1 point me in the right direction so i can check it out cause it is really annoying. Cost's for fixing the problem?
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance

2022 Hyundai Tucson Highlander N Line Diesel AWD
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2006, 08:55 PM   #16
BJMXR

Dont bother going to ford they couldnt help me out with the exact noise. Twice ive been back and they never found the problem. They greased the ball joint and "tightened around the suspension" so they claimed, charged me $80 and it came back straight away. Went back again and despite telling them it wasn;t the ball joind needing a grease and the suspension being tightened up, they proceeded to do it again and attempt to charge me for it... not a chance.

The bottom line is my noise has only dissappeared since i put the King springs in... so id suggest its got something to do with the force on a movable part while braking, or something to do with the geometry of the front end at factory ride height... but clearly im just assuming! Either way, i never got to the bottom of it, but i know exactly the sound you'd be talking about. Strangely mine was front left also.
Lowered on King SL & SSL
KONI "Yellows" Fully Adjustable Shocks
2.5in Stainless Herrods Cat back
Black Leather Interior
BJMXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2006, 10:00 PM   #17
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Something tells me that this going to be an expensive exercise to locate the exact cause.

When it's not 40 deg i'll pull the wheel off and have a close look. The noise is quite loud from inside the car, i'd hate to think what it sounds like from the outside.

Old 23-01-2006, 11:23 PM   #18
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJMXR
Dont bother going to ford they couldnt help me out with the exact noise. Twice ive been back and they never found the problem. They greased the ball joint and "tightened around the suspension" so they claimed, charged me $80 and it came back straight away. Went back again and despite telling them it wasn;t the ball joind needing a grease and the suspension being tightened up, they proceeded to do it again and attempt to charge me for it... not a chance.

The bottom line is my noise has only dissappeared since i put the King springs in... so id suggest its got something to do with the force on a movable part while braking, or something to do with the geometry of the front end at factory ride height... but clearly im just assuming! Either way, i never got to the bottom of it, but i know exactly the sound you'd be talking about. Strangely mine was front left also.
I would say that your problem was due to the spring bowing & contacting the top of the shock tube.
Old 23-01-2006, 11:28 PM   #19
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Something tells me that this going to be an expensive exercise to locate the exact cause.

When it's not 40 deg i'll pull the wheel off and have a close look. The noise is quite loud from inside the car, i'd hate to think what it sounds like from the outside.
If you separate the top arm from the upright, check the top ball joint, if it feels very tight then all the grease in the ball joint would have been pushed away from the contact surfaces, that will be the source of the noise. The ball sits in a plastic bush, thats why they knock as opposed squeak like X series falcons.
Old 24-01-2006, 06:51 AM   #20
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXRVIII
If you separate the top arm from the upright, check the top ball joint, if it feels very tight then all the grease in the ball joint would have been pushed away from the contact surfaces, that will be the source of the noise. The ball sits in a plastic bush, thats why they knock as opposed squeak like X series falcons.
Ok so that means it needs to be grease packed again? What part of the ball joint do I fit the grease nipple to?

Old 24-01-2006, 11:07 AM   #21
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No grease nipple is to be fitted, we use a special tool which fits to the ball joint.
Old 24-01-2006, 12:33 PM   #22
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

So there is no chance of a DIY on this one then.

Old 24-01-2006, 12:49 PM   #23
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not greasing them,no. If you have access to a press you can replace them.
Old 24-01-2006, 08:34 PM   #24
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
Upper ball joints is my guess too.

Drill them and put in a grease nipple and pump them full of grease and the noise goes away. if they are stuffed then replace them.
This sounds like a great idea to me. Any pics on how to do it. There's no way I would try without some pics and good instructions. I'd be concerned I'd stuff something up I'm afraid! LOL!

Jonbays, have you got grease nipples on yours? If yes, will you post a few pics, maybe give us a clue what drill bit to use, etc, etc, etc?

GK
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2006, 11:33 AM   #25
BJMXR

Unfortunately Ford greased my ball joints and the sound as far as i could tell didn't dissappear. So give it a go, but don't expect a miracle.

That sound is annoying though...... i feel your pain!
Lowered on King SL & SSL
KONI "Yellows" Fully Adjustable Shocks
2.5in Stainless Herrods Cat back
Black Leather Interior
BJMXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2006, 01:37 PM   #26
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

BJMXR, you were saying the problem disappeared when you had the springs replaced, i'm wondering if it's an issue with the seating of the spring.