Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-12-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Decent horns

Doing a lot of country rural driving and getting tired of roos and emus sitting in road just looking.
I have a stebel 139db horn with alternating high/low tones, now I dont want to go air horns etc but is there anything else that would raise wildlife attention.

Id prefer single tone just LOUD was thinking if there was Id wire up 2 lots of horns.

Now there are some here who will get their knickers in a knot about wildlife but until your've lived in these areas keep your opinions to yourselves, we rural folk live in a different world to city slackers.

Old 20-12-2014, 01:18 PM   #2
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Default Re: Decent horns

Surely you are doing the right thing, better to have a roo with ringing ears that 2cm high in the middle of the road.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2014, 02:13 PM   #3
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

best to just let them sit there and fly around them?
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #4
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah sure if ya know which way the idiots are going to go, often change direction mid flight.
Id rather them frightened off well before I get near them.
Old 20-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #5
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
yeah sure if ya know which way the idiots are going to go, often change direction mid flight.
Id rather them frightened off well before I get near them.
I've been there, my headlights weren't good enough and my horn wasn't loud loud enough

If they're on the green pick let them be, do not disturb

Much lols @ the randoms that just run into side of car pulling 100k+ regardless - just hopping through
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2014, 03:02 PM   #6
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mate of mine was in WA early this year with Rodeo ute, visited a station and drove 20 minutes out to highway. Saw 2 road trains bearing down from opp directions so waited till they were passed.
At last miute he saw movement out passenger window and heres Ernie Emu running along the fence line and BAM straight into side of ute. Finished replacing complete door windscreen and rear window.
One of the road train drivers saw it and stopped to offer assistance but couldnt stop himself laughing.
Australia = only country that enjoys killing its national emblems
Old 20-12-2014, 03:38 PM   #7
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
best to just let them sit there and fly around them?
As long as you're extremely trusting of the "intelligence" at work in those stupid animals...

My closest shave was some years back, riding along the highway at night. Semi coming the other way, I dipped my high beam, his lights were still pretty blinding. As soon as he was past I hit my high beam and sitting right on my side of the white line was a massive roo. I missed him, literally, by centimeters off the end of my handlebars, he didn't even bloody budge! The semi must have missed him by about a meter but he had never even moved.

Usually though they just jump in unpredictable directions. No sense trying to judge what they're going to do..if you have a decent horn scare the crap out of them from a fair distance and see where they go.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #8
OCTANEBOSS

At night, dip your lights, slow down and keep an eye on them. A lot of the time there night vision is gone with spotties or high beams on. They are a lot less likely to jump away if they cant see. As for old man emu, seen them make a V line towards a mates car at 400 mtr and run into the side of it... on a flat plain too.
OCTANEBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2014, 08:09 PM   #9
raceteam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got these Stebel ones
http://www.stebel.it/stebel/products...ECTROMAGNETICS
Magnum TM80/2 high and low tone pair, also 139dB but not an air horn. Seem to work pretty well.
raceteam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2014, 08:39 PM   #10
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Seen videos of Train Horns being fit to road vehicles. I think they are air compressor driven. The reactions of pedestrians are hilarious and wildlife would be equally stunned.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-12-2014, 10:59 PM   #11
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry this may have got off target.
I have a twin tone sebel horn (ebay) but it dont cut the mustard for me.
1st it alternates its tone, sheep seem to like it
2nd @139Db its still not effective.

whats out there that has a`single tone' @139Db or above without going truck/train air horns.
If I could find a single tone would adding two of them working together 'shake the earth' so to speak.?
Old 20-12-2014, 11:04 PM   #12
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can buy the biggest and baddest horn on ebay, but certain animals don't respond how we wont them to in that frequency range.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2014, 11:20 PM   #13
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Seen videos of Train Horns being fit to road vehicles. I think they are air compressor driven. The reactions of pedestrians are hilarious and wildlife would be equally stunned.
Some roos don't even flinch at train horns, blast the horn and they just stand there looking at us. Always dim our lights, some people turn them off completely and sometimes the roo will still just sit there not moving.
Or you get the ones that run when they hear the horn, then at the last second do a 180, and jump in front of us and get hit.
Or the ones that try to out run teh train by jumping down the track away from it.
Out of all the animals seen around the tracks, roos have to be the least intelligent.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2014, 11:46 PM   #14
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Was thinking the same thing. The horns they use on ships is even better again!

Would horns even work in this situation, I figure that wildlife would be very used to being blasted on a nightly basis buy most things that dive past them.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2014, 12:05 AM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

kangas = unpredictable buggars at the best of times, i remember wizzing up the hume through clonbinane one night in a white bdouble refrigerated unit, my lights hit something on the side of the road in the distance, as i got closer to it.......... it was about 40 to 50 roo`s about 10 feet from the fog line all in a line all just sitting there eyeing off the other side of the road,
i was just waiting for one to start a kamikize run and the rest to follow, non did though this time.
sometimes they would do a kamikaze run at the trailers in the night and you wouldnt know it until you saw the blood splattered down the side of the white trailer the next day,
hard stuff to get off.
back on topic, my stocker au horns are very good car horns and pretty loud,
i dont know the db
my mate lives out in the sticks ,and has for years, he swears by those little cheap shoo roo sonic repeller doodads.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/2812...pid=107&chn=ps
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2014, 12:39 AM   #16
malazn mafia
Boss 335

FLIR cameras would be a good investment if you do night driving. Amazing clarity at night. You could drive with your headlights off at night, even if its foggy or smoky and have ample warning against wildlife or even mr plod hiding in the bushes at night.

Are animals scared of explosion noises? Wonder if the exhaust could be rigged with a spark plug to ignite unburnt fuel and make gunfire noises when downshifting.
Old 21-12-2014, 02:06 AM   #17
OCTANEBOSS

Quote:
If I could find a single tone would adding two of them working together 'shake the earth' so to speak.?
I have witnessed the Roos etc between Spalding & the Vic border.... ya have your work cut out In SA... A 308 win seems the only thing to move em but that may be frowned open in a desert oasis these days. Go the air jobbies and scare some cyclists into the road rules,
OCTANEBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2014, 07:23 AM   #18
Gypzy
FG XR6 Tray back

That idea of a ship horn sounds allright, but you'de have to tow a trailer for it and the compressor unit to run it!
Gypzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2014, 09:21 AM   #19
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

maybe iI should be honest its not roos, Iam after dim brained dipstick humans who dont how to change lanes without looking.

Many years ago when still a Kiwi my custom Mini cooper with all extras had 12v air truck horns (secretly) wired to the 4 spot lights from Mini rally cars, that got peoples attention..
These days I'd likely be killed
Old 21-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #20
Gypzy
FG XR6 Tray back

I'm hearing you Tonz, fully agree with the idiot lane changers needing a reminder that they are about to take you out. My wifes car is a Honda CRV and has a much much better horn than my Falcon. I've often thought to myself of going to the wreckers and grabbing a CRV horn (or two) and mounting them up with the Falcons horn. Should have the desired effect.
Old 21-12-2014, 11:14 AM   #21
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Pair of 15" long stroke ported subs with a couple Kw up their bum pumping out some death metal usually scares them off... they dont like thunder
Old 21-12-2014, 11:48 AM   #22
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah don't use a ship horn. Unless you want to go to your kids 21st birthday party and not hear anything, because you`re deaf.
Old 21-12-2014, 11:58 AM   #23
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypzy View Post
That idea of a ship horn sounds allright, but you'de have to tow a trailer for it and the compressor unit to run it!
Nah, C'mon!.... Use ya Enterprise!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDJPLxwuMyA

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2014, 12:29 PM   #24
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LOL. There's an entire channel on Youtube dedicated to 'cruise ship horn battles' wtf.
Old 21-12-2014, 03:41 PM   #25
malazn mafia
Boss 335

What Horn do they use at the footy? Thats plenty loud
Old 21-12-2014, 03:59 PM   #26
Gypzy
FG XR6 Tray back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Nah, C'mon!.... Use ya Enterprise!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDJPLxwuMyA
Now ya talking, the Star Ship Enterprise's horn. An intergalactic Roo get out of my way horn. Cool.
Old 24-12-2014, 09:40 PM   #27
rex351

Set of extractors and a loud muffler should fix it tonz, if they hear you coming they can get out the way, not sneaking up on them so much. Never smacked a roo on EP in my 351 powered XD, got a couple in my quiet Toyota surf though!
rex351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2014, 10:21 PM   #28
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

they may not be the brightest critter, but they have great hearing.
they have heard you from a long way away. flashing your lights and short sharp beeps sometimes will make them move, but don't think they haven't heard you.
as previously posted it is often not the ones you see, but the ones that hit you broadside.
as for other motorists; sometimes a wake up blast may help.
personally not a fan of train horns, but I do like the idea of a ships fog horn..
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2014, 10:37 PM   #29
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sorry this may have got off target.
I have a twin tone sebel horn (ebay) but it dont cut the mustard for me.
1st it alternates its tone, sheep seem to like it
2nd @139Db its still not effective.

whats out there that has a`single tone' @139Db or above without going truck/train air horns.

What's your phobia against air-horns?
Back in the 80's- 90's I used to travel around 80,000 kms per year and the first thing I did when I picked up a new car was to fit air horns and a CB. Apart from getting the attention of wildlife, air-horns were a boon for alerting other road users who were having their morning nap while driving.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2014, 01:39 AM   #30
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Have you tried those high pitched things you put on the front that only animals can hear? Not sure if they work on certain animals tho. My bro had a set(very cheap too) that only worked above 60 so you wear t driving around freaking out everyone's pets in town
Just a thought!
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post