Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-04-2005, 11:42 PM   #1
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Track days

when u guys do track days do u guys run slicks or just good tyres?
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2005, 12:08 AM   #2
Damo
Banned

lol. Most people with decent power use slicks at the 'Drags' if that's what you're talking about. I can't say i've heard of slicks being used for track work ?

You could have ellaberated abit more on your first post. Kinda vague.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2005, 12:14 AM   #3
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah spose it was.
i dont have to worry bout it coz i got a shit car and just would be humiliated at the tracks.
does it any1 run semi slicks on the street?
Old 21-04-2005, 05:20 PM   #4
JBonDSS
Towie F150

most people run there normal street tyres, as most of the track days are split into 5 lap sessions, thus not completely destroy tyres but giving them a bit of hard time,

once addicted most would buy a cheap set of mags/other set & run secondhand semi comps as they grip better & wont suddenly get to hot like a street tyre will.

Of course it all depends on the handling of the car, weight & how big the drivers balls are,

There are a few High powered cars that drive around on semi comps but $$$$ for 20,000 wear

For your first couple of track days decent street tyres will cope just fine (just run 40psi cold tyre pressure)
JBonDSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2005, 07:56 PM   #5
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah. have to get a good car first aswell. i think the new WRX(some variant) run semi slicks but not sure. and i think the BMW M series might b as well. mmm mayb on a BMW coz they can afford it but WRXs arent that expensive in comparison so could imagine it would b a pain in the *** on tyres. i think tyres r prolly the most expensive thing overall. they r the wat u replace the most on ur car. i was just curious thats all.

Last edited by MITCHAY; 21-04-2005 at 08:56 PM.
Old 21-04-2005, 11:00 PM   #6
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Racing slicks are used on the track as well, not just cross-plys on drag cars.

BMW M3 CSL comes with Michelin Sports Pilot Cups which are supposed to be the shit for when it comes to track work. Dont think any WRX comes with semi-comps as they sure aint cheap.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2005, 12:42 AM   #7
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Don't STi's come with something that is borderline R spec rubber? As JBonDSS said if you're getting more heavily into track days you might get a second set of rims with secondhand circuit racing tyres (either slicks or R spec aka semi-slick or street legal racing rubber) or even new if you have deep pockets! The difference in grip with proper racing rubber is really phenomenal.

As for racing rubber used for the road, my "toy" car has a set of Dunlop Formula R tyres - the wear rate is supposed to be pretty savage but I don't clock up much mileage so it's not a problem.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2005, 12:15 PM   #8
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"WRP10 is finished off with high performance, lightweight five-spoke forged alloy RAYS wheels and Pirelli P Zero Nero tyres (215 45Z R 17 91Y)"

i quoted this from the subaru website. its a limited edition WRX called the WRP10. note the tyres. im guess these r sum serious tyres.

never been to a track day or anythn like it. theres nuthn happening in the ways of it canberra. been pushing for a drag strip/motorway for ages. the police complain bout all the streetracing but wont do anythn to improve it. it wouldnt cure it but it would help and at least get sum of the enthusiasts on side with the government.
Old 22-04-2005, 03:44 PM   #9
loxxr6
XB in parts...

I think Motor mentioned that HSV was looking at offering its customers the option of track tyres for those inclined to do that sort of thing.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2005, 04:17 PM   #10
toby123
Boosted TQE FTW

HSV's get pirelli P Zero Nero's from factory too......

Project: EF Falcon Turbo... Not long till back on the road.....
toby123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2005, 04:47 PM   #11
pb02
inconceivable!

I used to run Toyo RA-1's on my S2000 when I was doing track days! Awesome grip over street tyres and not as expensive as full R spec rubber. Also I could drive with them on the street and in heavy rain. You would be fine on street tyres or R spec if you want a bit more grip and stopping power. Full slicks on a street car would be a waste IMHO.
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2005, 05:17 PM   #12
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
"WRP10 is finished off with high performance, lightweight five-spoke forged alloy RAYS wheels and Pirelli P Zero Nero tyres (215 45Z R 17 91Y)"

i quoted this from the subaru website. its a limited edition WRX called the WRP10. note the tyres. im guess these r sum serious tyres.

never been to a track day or anythn like it. theres nuthn happening in the ways of it canberra. been pushing for a drag strip/motorway for ages. the police complain bout all the streetracing but wont do anythn to improve it. it wouldnt cure it but it would help and at least get sum of the enthusiasts on side with the government.
nearest track is wakefield park in Goulbourn..
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2005, 02:01 AM   #13
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

WRP10 is a lame attempt by Subaru to cash in on hte limited edition / modified craze.

Compared to the factory backed 400hp WRXs in UK or the 2.5litre "big blocks" in the US they really look dull. Good on em for getting into it though.

I didnt know P Zero Neros were semi-race, alywas thought they were middle of hte range premium tyres.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2005, 05:36 PM   #14
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

The P Zeros are road tyres, not semi race. The newest version of the STi has the gun semi race tyres, Brigestone Potenza RE070's or something like that, although they are more of a road tyre than the ones fitted to the M3 CSL which are pretty average in the wet and need to be warmed up to produce their best.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2005, 06:16 PM   #15
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Quote:
i dont have to worry bout it coz i got a shit car and just would be humiliated at the tracks.
Track days aren't lap times but more about how much fun you have. Take the POS out & go nuts in it & have some fun.
Old 23-04-2005, 08:06 PM   #16
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIII XR8 MAN
Track days aren't lap times but more about how much fun you have. Take the POS out & go nuts in it & have some fun.
lol i have a TX5. bahahahha. id just like to go for the experience even if i didnt have a good car. then when ive finished school get an awesome car then go nuts in that.