Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
Cheech
HELL YES

Default AWD Tracks (Around Sydney)

So I've bought a 2010 Forester XS as my daily driver (and to do our snow trips in).

Does anyone have any suggestions for easy one day AWD trips around Sydney (within 150klms) so I can give her some testing. Ground clearance on the current model is 220mm so I'll need to take this into account.

Thanks.

2019 Ssangyong Rexton fourby (the daily driver, tow pig & snowmobile)
Cheech is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: AWD Tracks (Around Sydney)

Will it get you out of Penriff first....:-D

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
Cheech
HELL YES

Default Re: AWD Tracks (Around Sydney)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
Will it get you out of Penriff first....:-D
It will, as long as I'm wearing my flannie & ugg boots.

Old 23-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Hey mate, perhaps head out near Lithgow, just past the Zig Zag railway. (Locality is called Clarence, the bushland is Newnes State forest) you will find something good out there, big area with lots of side tracks. Ive explored a tiny bit thus far in my old 4wd. Will be back in my wagon to keep exploring

Apart from that, there are the Watagans up north. Might be a bit more than 150kms but i know theres AWD stuff out there for sure, dont ask where as i dont know! Its a big place aswell. Ive been out there with an offroad subaru forum a while ago in a stock '83 wagon and made it, loads of fun!

To the south near Nowra theres a place called Yalwal but youd need a 2" lift and more than a day.....

To my knowledge and past research results, there is nothing else near Sydney.

Have fun!

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
SXR6
Still a Ford boy... Just.

Dropzone lol. VERY fun tracks out Riverstone and Menai is the same sort of stuff but bigger. Some big stuff, some small stuff. Few mud puddles and some challenging stuff, Plenty of tracks that you can quite comfortably do without damage and bottoming out just need to pick your lines. Even seen a Mazda 121 bashing around in Rivo LOL..

Once they wake up its water boy time though.
SXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #6
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Do beleive Menai has been closed for years now, $20,000 fine if ya get in too. Nothing really in the way of offroading here in the southern part of Syd. Though there is a bit at a place called Maddens Plains just south of Helensburgh but its mostly 2wd, lots of dead ends, weird place that can be a bit boring and im unsure if it holds the same trespassing penalty. But the gap in the trees to get in (last i was there) had no signs saying private. Only one way to get in or out.

Took my old Subaru out there and all was well

Subaru Outback '02
Old 23-01-2013, 11:05 PM   #7
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Re: AWD Tracks (Around Sydney)

AWD/4WD heaven in Vic close to Melbourne or the famous 'high country'

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #8
FPVF6X201
Formerly FPVwannabe

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Slotted front rotors for the TTG write-up and pics. 

As said, Newnes State Forest at Lithgow (all the way out to the Glowworm tunnels. Pretty easy road but side tracks every where that need AWD or 4WD.

A few of us Territory owners (and a Jeep) did our xmas in july trip there last year.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ight=xmas+july

Borla ATAK axle back exhaust.
Hawk ceramic brake pads.
CLStech Ribbon DRL mod.
X Lume illuminated grille badge.
Injen CAI.
FPVF6X201 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
Cheech
HELL YES

Thanks guys.

Wifey found a good book - 4wd's around NSW (or something similar). Splits it up into easy/medium & hard grade tracks.

Old 24-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #10
AussieCJ7

If you check out 4x4 earth http://www.4x4earth.com.au/ they have a track database and as long as you stick to the easy ones you should be ok in a AWD

Normal advice for traveling in the bush, 2 or more vehicles is always better, carry a map (real maps even if you use a gps with maps) spare drinking water, first aid kit and a reasonable set of tools that matches your mechanical ability. Mobile phones work in some area's but not others so a radio and ideally a EPIRB should be carried, tell someone where your going and when you expect to return.

For a place like Newnes is if in doubt walk the track, many of the tracks there turn from dirt road to major rock steps with very little if any spot to turn around and you can get your self in deeper trouble if you keep going.

Menai IS private property and closed to 4x4s

Best to check with the state forest rangers for track closures as many are at this time of year for bush fire prevention and in winter to help maintain the tracks

Go out and have fun but stay safe and keep common sense
AussieCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #11
SXR6
Still a Ford boy... Just.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
Do beleive Menai has been closed for years now, $20,000 fine if ya get in too. Nothing really in the way of offroading here in the southern part of Syd. Though there is a bit at a place called Maddens Plains just south of Helensburgh but its mostly 2wd, lots of dead ends, weird place that can be a bit boring and im unsure if it holds the same trespassing penalty. But the gap in the trees to get in (last i was there) had no signs saying private. Only one way to get in or out.

Took my old Subaru out there and all was well
Was mucking around in Menai 2 weeks ago. Was atleast 30 other 4wds in there playing around to.

Riverstone is good fun, ive got a stock Triton that I play around with. Can do most of it in RWD unless its been raining.

Once they wake up its water boy time though.
SXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #12
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Some sections of Parramatta Road will test it out.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
AussieCJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXR6 View Post
Was mucking around in Menai 2 weeks ago. Was atleast 30 other 4wds in there playing around to.

/soap box on

This may well be the case but as someone actively involved with 4x4 clubs, competitive 4x4ing and knowing the communication between the 4wd association of NSW the land owners and the relevant authority I can tell you for a fact it is private property it is actively patrolled by the police and people HAVE been charged with trespass

It has always been private property but in the past there was an agreement with the land owner for clubs who are members of the 4wd association to drive in there in return for cleaning up the area of a regular basis. This agreement is no longer in place.

I personally would not be broadcasting in a public forum you have committed an offense by driving in this area and would recommend all to avoid going 4x4ing in this area. It is hard enough to keep valid spots open and we do not need mis-informed people doing the wrong thing making the case for those who want to shut 4x4ing down even stronger.

We all enjoy our vehicles and the right to drive them as intended be it a 4x4 in the bush a high power car down the drag strip or a well tuned grand tourer on a race track but the worst thing for any enthusiast is to see people doing it in the wrong way or location giving everyone a bad name we need to stick together to ensure the nanny state do gooders dont kill legitimate pastimes.

/end soap box
AussieCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #14
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Yes, this bloke above speaks the truth. Im a member (now inactive) of 4x4earth and the same thing has been said throughout that forum and Sydney 4x4 clubs.
I have seen coppers on dirt bikes, they really do patrol around the place, unless dirt bike po po dont carry fine books.

But anywho. Whats out at Riverstone? First ive heard about this place!

Subaru Outback '02