Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Do you think government(s) should bring in incentives to buy OZ
Yes, they should encourage people to support local jobs and industry 120 85.11%
No, the local car makers get enough help - they should adapt to the market 21 14.89%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Would you want incentives to buy Australian?

With the local market having a 5% tariff (one of the lowest for a car producing nation) and having to compete with other countries low environmental, OH&S and wage standards as well as competing with countries which send cars here but put heavy restrictions on Australian-made cars in return. Would people want to see a government incentive to buy Australian? Or do you think that competing with low-cost countries is the price to pay for being in the market and that the locals get enough help?

Im thinking reduced or free registration on Australian-made cars, maybe an Australian car rebate. Maybe business tax deduction incentives (this would dramatically change the fleet scene, making the locals a lot more attractive overnight - think Falcon ute).

Even if financially it doesnt make a big difference to most buyers, just the program's exposure to the community would make people consider an Australian-made car or at least bring it into consideration when car shopping.

Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Too many arguments on what would be classed as 'Australian Made' as opposed to 'Australian Assembled'...

Fair point to discuss - but I don't think that Australian Made is the main reason for the purchase of a vehicle - and I doubt that if there was a drop in price (unless it was considerable) or a hike in the tax deduction, that it would make a HUGE difference in the sales figures....

But - I'm open to arguments...
Old 29-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the government could quickly devise a list of eligible vehicles, or give it a simple definition such as: 'the country in which the engine is installed into the body or chassis, is the country of origin for Oz-Car tax rebate purposes'.

I can see an incentive program help vehicles like the Territory where all other SUVs are imported.

I wonder if there is World Trade Organisation implications when one country encourages or incentivises a particular country's products over another..?
Old 29-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Here's an incentive. The privilege of living in this great country.
Old 29-06-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
El Jay
Starter Motor

What if vehicles that are purchased which are compliant with emissions schemes allow customers to pay a reduced rego fee? Say like a emission compliant Falcon could be classed as a 4 cylinder car? This would work in QLD, but I'm not sure of the registration process in other states.
It benefits both manufacturer and consumer, where manufacturer develops/implements improved economy tech and consumer gets lower ongoing costs.
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I wonder if there is World Trade Organisation implications when one country encourages or incentivises a particular country's products over another..?
They could, like the italian tomatoes or NZ apples. More likely is retaliation from other countries. we put up tarriffs on cars, they'll stop buying our iron ore. crap like that. Remember when USA increased the number of flights to australia, our govt threatened to increase tariffs, and they threatened to stop buying our beef.
STILL, usa subsidises their industry, i don't know why we don't do the same. some of aust govt have pursued free-trade at all costs, and we're now trading at a loss on most of those FTAs.
Old 29-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #7
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I fully support policies which support local industry. I am against so called world free trade because if we wish to maintain our high standard of living in the current climate we cannot compete with countries such as China which have cheap labor costs. Workers in most Chinese factories get paid around $1.70 AU a day.

Bring back Tariffs. We can afford to do this as we are sitting on a gold mine of minerals which the world wants.
Old 29-06-2010, 04:53 PM   #8
glavas

ive own a e2 maloo. vz calais and a 09 wrx. i was a bit teary when i bought the wrx i always have bought aussie cars but i just wanted a wrx. i felt preety unpatriotic for a few weeks after the day i bought it. still havent really got over it yet.
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I try to support Aussie manufacturing - I drive an aussie made car, have an Australain made fridge, and most of my furniture is Australian made. I think one of the things that helped Australia through the recent difficult economic times is that our unemployment didn't reach double digits (or even anywhere near it) like what happened in Europe and the USA.

I also beleive that governments impose certain taxes/legislation that adds cost to our local manufacturers and as such they should offer some assistance to at least offset some of these costs.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #10
Paxton
Cobblers!

Nope. I'll be buying an Australian built car next for myself anyway.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2010, 05:30 PM   #11
bmorris

I don't think we should bring back tariffs on imports however the government should support local manufactures to a greater extent. I like the idea of cheaper registration on local produced vehicles. Its a real world idea that would make buying Australia made more inviting.
bmorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #12
JimNiki
71Mach1

Let me give you an example of what happened to our company.
We invested 20m in a fully automated wool pack manufacturing setup.
We did our homework, saw what the market was charging for wool packs, etc.
It was bouncing between 12 and 14 au dollars per bag.

We thought we could grab a nice share of the market but selling a better made product for a dollar or 2 less. all is good so far.

Next thing we know, the Chinese bags which were on the cheaper side at 12 dollars are now selling for $7.50. This is way below cost for anybody.
And they left it like that for over 12 months. It killed us. We couldn't compete. We shut shop. Our directors approached politicians to let them know that price dumping is happening from the Chinese illegally to kill off the Australian made product.
They didn't want to know about it. We found out by other sources that this particular polly get a couple of free first class trips to China for his whole family every year.

So basically, the Chinese govt subsidise one of their own to kill off any competition and as soon as that happens, the price for wool packs goes back up to 12 dollars.

Anyway, this australian company (since 1934) liquidated last year.
If this is how our own govt will treat us, what makes you think they are even interested in local manufacture.

they would prefer that we manufacture overseas, and make plenty of profit, so the govt can take their slice.
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #13
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
I fully support policies which support local industry. I am against so called world free trade because if we wish to maintain our high standard of living in the current climate we cannot compete with countries such as China which have cheap labor costs. Workers in most Chinese factories get paid around $1.70 AU a day.

Bring back Tariffs. We can afford to do this as we are sitting on a gold mine of minerals which the world wants.
Very fair call. Another thing to consider is the whole "Level Playing Field" concept. It is all well and good to have no Tarrifs on importing a car over here, but what happens if an Australian made car is to be sold in another Country? What are the Tarrifs in that Country?

A true "Level Playing Field" would have Tarrifs to match the Country the Car comes from. Say Country "A" wants to sell a Car in Australia. If Country "A" has a 25% Tarrif on Cars imported there and Australia want to sell a Car in Country "A", the same should happen to a Car sold in Australia from Country "A":- a 25% Tarrif.

That is a "Level Playing Field", anything less is bending over and taking one for the Team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #14
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I've always thought we shouldn't need incentives to buy oz-made products(especially cars) but I guess if Joe Average thinks a refrigerator on wheels camry or similar fits the bill better than a falcon or commodore, well...he will buy it and that's that.
I will always support our industry regardless of incentive or reward, reward for me is the warm fuzzy I get knowing that I helped keep jobs in oz a bit longer.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #15
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Unfortunately these days I think we need incentives to get people back into Australian cars (as well as supporting Camrys etc that are atleast assembled here) - something simple like cheaper rego might go a long way..
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2010, 08:51 PM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

i think the same way, its dog eat dog out there and other countrys look after their own manufacturing.............unlike Australia
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #17
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Its a difficult subject, being a 1st world country, we want a wage relevant to our economic status. However 3rd world workers are happy to simply have a job, Incentives are all good, however as the hip pocket tightens due to idiotic increases in living costs, the cheaper alternative is often the only option to make ends meet. Sad but true.
Auturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #18
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Honestly, I want value for money. If that be Australian, American, European, Japanese or Korean. The best bang for your buck that you can afford is what most want. I am sure everyone would want a Veyron if they could afford it.
Old 29-06-2010, 09:58 PM   #19
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNiki
Let me give you an example of what happened to our company.
We invested 20m in a fully automated wool pack manufacturing setup.
We did our homework, saw what the market was charging for wool packs, etc.
It was bouncing between 12 and 14 au dollars per bag.

We thought we could grab a nice share of the market but selling a better made product for a dollar or 2 less. all is good so far.

Next thing we know, the Chinese bags which were on the cheaper side at 12 dollars are now selling for $7.50. This is way below cost for anybody.
And they left it like that for over 12 months. It killed us. We couldn't compete. We shut shop. Our directors approached politicians to let them know that price dumping is happening from the Chinese illegally to kill off the Australian made product.
They didn't want to know about it. We found out by other sources that this particular polly get a couple of free first class trips to China for his whole family every year.

So basically, the Chinese govt subsidise one of their own to kill off any competition and as soon as that happens, the price for wool packs goes back up to 12 dollars.

Anyway, this australian company (since 1934) liquidated last year.
If this is how our own govt will treat us, what makes you think they are even interested in local manufacture.

they would prefer that we manufacture overseas, and make plenty of profit, so the govt can take their slice.

Does anyone know of any politicain worth voting for
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2010, 10:39 PM   #20
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by paule11
Does anyone know of any politicain worth voting for
Questions like that will wind up closing threads
Old 29-06-2010, 10:43 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Cheaper rego and no luxury car tax on Aussie cars. Forget about rising tarrifs.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 06:57 AM   #22
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Spot on

I will & have always tried to buy Australian vehicles even if at times others may be cheaper or better built as I am a proud Australian & feel it is good for our country.

Besides the fact my Dad was a Ford lover & so am I lol

For other people who are just as happy buying chinese or korean vehicles yes some incentive would be a good move.
Seduce XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 09:53 AM   #23
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I generally do not support handouts. I certainly am against tariffs and any other protectionism policies.

If car makers want incentives, then I believe they should have to work for it. Build cars people want, innovate more, basically work for the sale not just rely on blind patriotism.
I buy whatever suits my budget and I enjoy driving, I don't care where it is made.
Old 30-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #24
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
I generally do not support handouts. I certainly am against tariffs and any other protectionism policies.

If car makers want incentives, then I believe they should have to work for it. Build cars people want, innovate more, basically work for the sale not just rely on blind patriotism.
I buy whatever suits my budget and I enjoy driving, I don't care where it is made.
Manufacturing in Australia has been working for it. Most have packed up shop and moved to Asia.
Old 30-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #25
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Cheaper rego and no luxury car tax on Aussie cars.
this. and bring back the import tariff.
Old 30-06-2010, 11:08 AM   #26
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most Australians don't care where their stuff comes from because they're stupid, and that includes their cars. Look at the number of people who buy Woolworth's Select Chinese/South African food, or Hyundais. Tariffs are the only way to save the Australian manufacturing industry.
Ford_The_Win is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #27
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Manufacturing in Australia has been working for it. Most have packed up shop and moved to Asia.
So has anyone out there found a way to prevent this besides punishing consumers to buy local products that do not suit their requirements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick_1010
Most Australians don't care where their stuff comes from because they're stupid, and that includes their cars. Look at the number of people who buy Woolworth's Select Chinese/South African food, or Hyundais. Tariffs are the only way to save the Australian manufacturing industry.
Excuse me? I am actually insulted by that comment. You tell me why should I buy an aussie car when
a) It doesn't suit my requirements in car (or any other product)
b) The product doesn't always live up to hype
c) Be charged more (not talking about cars here) for the privilege of buying Australian when when a) and or b) apply?

I spend my money carefully, if the product isn't up to scratch (doesn't matter if it is local or imported) I won't buy it. Other than that I do not care where it is made as long as it works and is of the quality I expect.
Old 30-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #28
Boosh Brus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Excuse me? I am actually insulted by that comment. You tell me why should I buy an aussie car when
a) It doesn't suit my requirements in car (or any other product)
b) The product doesn't always live up to hype
c) Be charged more (not talking about cars here) for the privilege of buying Australian when when a) and or b) apply?

I spend my money carefully, if the product isn't up to scratch (doesn't matter if it is local or imported) I won't buy it. Other than that I do not care where it is made as long as it works and is of the quality I expect.
Agree. I would say most Australians would prefer to buy local if the product was equal but if not they will buy the car that suits their needs for their price.

My brother recently went to the Ford dealer but all the wagons all looked outdated, had no diesel option, had no leather or luxury features and he the Territory was to large for his liking. So he bought a Volvo XC.

I am sure if the falcon wagon was $3000 cheaper then the list price he would still buy the Volvo as it meets his needs/wants.
Boosh Brus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 12:54 PM   #29
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
I've always thought we shouldn't need incentives to buy oz-made products(especially cars) but I guess if Joe Average thinks a refrigerator on wheels camry or similar fits the bill better than a falcon or commodore, well...he will buy it and that's that.
I will always support our industry regardless of incentive or reward, reward for me is the warm fuzzy I get knowing that I helped keep jobs in oz a bit longer.
Iggy, Camys are made in Australia. So are Aurions. People who buy them are supporting Australian manufacture. They most likely contain as much Australian content as the other Australian made cars.

Good on you for wanting to support our workers.

They are also exported (Camrys) in far greater numbers than the American manufacturer's cars that are made here, so the Arabs are supporting Aussie manufacture too.

It's interesting how the media, Ford, Holden and Toyota gathered to help eat their own industry with all the hype that surrounded Mitsubishi three or four years ago. Adelaide made, good quality, but who would buy one with the Media and the other manufacturers constantly harping on about whether Mitsu would stay in Australia long term? How many components manufacturerers took a hit on that? Those lost sales most likely didn't go to Camrys, Commodores or Falcons.

3 years ago I wanted an Aussie made car, and now own a 100% Australian made Mitsu Verada AWD (driveline's imported but not much else - prob got more Aussie bits in it than a VE). Damn good quality car and way better than the Commos and Falcs I spent 12 years driving as a sales rep.

All of these companies will look at their Australian made vehicles from a global perspective. They don't give a damn about employment or local componentry. Detroit or Tokyo will look at financial viablily regardless of how many Falcons, Camrys or Commodores are sold, and if the numbers don't add up, they are gone.
Old 30-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #30
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888

3 years ago I wanted an Aussie made car, and now own a 100% Australian made Mitsu Verada AWD (driveline's imported but not much else - prob got more Aussie bits in it than a VE). Damn good quality car and way better than the Commos and Falcs I spent 12 years driving as a sales rep.
They are a fantastic car, they have ralliart brakes and beautiful 5 speed auto. Fantastic build and paint quality on them too. The grip from them is unreal - constant AWD plus rear LSD. Would put most SUVs to shame in the slippery stuff. I honestly would of got one if it came in wagon.