Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Arrow Epic trip by a lone couple through the Congo!!!

Just thought I'd share this forum link with y'all. Truly thrilling expedition through one of the most uninviting places on earth.
I'm currently only to page 12 of about 60+ and having a break while i wait for the missus to get home and read with her from the start again. I thought just the start of the story was worthy of recommending here?

Democratic Republic of Congo; Lubumbashi to Kinshasa

Enjoy.

XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
VZSS250

I can't help think this guy is a real D-bag, getting his 4x4 bogged in every village and then expecting them to help him.

Why would they help this A-hole who is just out to get his kicks, while making all the locals get out their shovels to get him moving along to the next ditch?
VZSS250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2010, 11:01 PM   #3
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VZSS250
I can't help think this guy is a real D-bag, getting his 4x4 bogged in every village and then expecting them to help him.

Why would they help this A-hole who is just out to get his kicks, while making all the locals get out their shovels to get him moving along to the next ditch?
Yeah. I agree. What a toss hey. Also I wish he had just left out all the words and just done a couple of pages of pics and entitled the thread 'Check this hectic wheelin thru sh!tsville, Africa!', cos thats what it looks like when you just scroll through to the pics.

If you had bothered to READ even the 1st couple of pages (yes the internet doesn't just have pictures) you would have gathered that they would face a tough time just dealing with locals on the way, so an amount of arrogance and diplomacy would likely be needed along the way. Only a couple of times did they ask for help and when the help was granted and task completed did they pay a fee to those helpers. Help was offered by literally hundreds by the sounds but they declined and chose to dig themselves out of the situations they could handle.

And to think they had the nerve to go driving through their country like that!
The borders were open, they were granted visas, whats the problem? It's called the spirit of adventure, and some just take it to extremes more than others.

Anyway i have just spent about 4-5 hours in total reading this trip report and all i can say is WOW. Interesting bit of insight into what is clearly a horrible place to live by a couple of, quitefrankly, pretty insane and careless Belgians that i reckon took an ill-prepared vehicle for the journey and were lucky to make it out alive.

Highly recommended read.
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2010, 12:13 AM   #4
Kryton

This one is also worth the time and effort to read.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585918
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2010, 10:21 PM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfr101
Anyway i have just spent about 4-5 hours in total reading this trip report and all i can say is WOW. Interesting bit of insight into what is clearly a horrible place to live by a couple of, quitefrankly, pretty insane and careless Belgians that i reckon took an ill-prepared vehicle for the journey and were lucky to make it out alive.

Highly recommended read.
Some people can understand and appreciate the effort, cost and danger involved in such an adventure and others will not because they are just not aware of what is involved and are just not interested.

I love reading these sorts of tales. It reminds me of the time I left Australia for Korea with a 1 way ticket and returned 10 months later after going through 25 countries (mostly alone) without stepping on a plane.

I got from Korea to London overland, went to places I probably shouldn't have, did things I probably shouldn't have and travelled in a manner that I would NEVER want my kids to travel in.

Just like some people can spend countless hours and thousands of dollars restoring an old car. To others they are just wasting their time.

Good luck to them, they did something most will never do.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post