Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-03-2007, 01:58 PM   #1
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Show us your aquarium!

Hey everryone. I have 2 Aquariums. One cichlid tank which is 4 feet long and 3 foot with low ph fish. My pride and joy is my cichlid tank. I have had it for about 2 years now, I think. It is so easy to maintain. I haven't done anything with the water in almost a year. The shells keep it clean and perfect. Ive had the water tested and everything is great.

The only thing with cichlids is you can't really have other types of fish because they are agressive and will kill them, I have learnt the hard way lol. Catfish are the best fish to be kept with them because they get along well and keep the tank clean. I haven't had any problems with my cat being in there.

Heres a picture of one side of the tank. I might put more up abit later. Please post up some pictures of your tanks people

Last edited by Ford_Boy; 06-03-2007 at 02:21 PM.
Ford_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 02:01 PM   #2
kooky
WRX terrorist

I have a 2x2x2.5 foot column tank, unfortunatley no electronic pics, it's a full marine set-up with sump tank protein skimmer etc etc.

Currently rebuilding the lower cabinet and will be for sale soon ;)
Old 06-03-2007, 02:06 PM   #3
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooky
I have a 2x2x2.5 foot column tank, unfortunatley no electronic pics, it's a full marine set-up with sump tank protein skimmer etc etc.

Currently rebuilding the lower cabinet and will be for sale soon ;)
Sounds good, I'm planning to build a marine aquarium one day. i heard it's alot more work and i don't really have the time and money for that kind of set up. I love my cichlids but a good marine aquarium can't be beat for wow factor.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:16 PM   #4
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heres a picture of the whole set up.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:27 PM   #5
kooky
WRX terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Boy
Sounds good, I'm planning to build a marine aquarium one day. i heard it's alot more work and i don't really have the time and money for that kind of set up. I love my cichlids but a good marine aquarium can't be beat for wow factor.
Yes indeed on wow factor, nobody walked passed it without stopping to have a good look, they are expensive to set up, but once you have all the levels settled and you get the right additives and test kits you just have to keep an eye on it and it will largly look after itself.

Marine just cant be beat. I had near $400 of fish at one stage. sadly no pics

Yours looks very nice indeed
Old 06-03-2007, 02:42 PM   #6
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooky
Yes indeed on wow factor, nobody walked passed it without stopping to have a good look, they are expensive to set up, but once you have all the levels settled and you get the right additives and test kits you just have to keep an eye on it and it will largly look after itself.

Marine just cant be beat. I had near $400 of fish at one stage. sadly no pics

Yours looks very nice indeed
Thanks, it's probably the closest I can get to having a marine aquarium lol.

People please post up some pictures of your tanks. It doesn't have to be tropical.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:45 PM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Nice. Once I stop renting I will have a nice salt water setup happening. My mate has this crazy shrimp that kills things by spearing them which is kind cool. It knocks on the glass aswell.

Ive budgeted around the $1500 mark, but time will tell.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 03:53 PM   #8
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Ive budgeted around the $1500 mark, but time will tell.
I paid that for my Tropical Tank alone. :(

My Tank Type
I've got the Monarch 120. It's about 300L.

No pics right now..... I've got a White-spot and snail issue. :

D:
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 03:55 PM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL351
I paid that for my Tropical Tank alone. :(

My Tank Type
I've got the Monarch 120. It's about 300L.

No pics right now..... I've got a White-spot and snail issue. :

D:
Jesus thats nice, I was going to start off smallish..LOL
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 04:39 PM   #10
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was very lucky when I started out because my mates dad breed fish I was constantly getting things very cheap. the tank 25bux, the light was 25bux and the filter was 50 bux. Most of the decoration was free or only really cheap like 5 bux. i remember once I got about 50 free fish and I gave some to other mates and swapped some to have a larger variety. i have bought fish before. i used to own a jaguar which costed 60bux. It was my favourite fish but one year i found it knocked off the lid and was dryed up on the floor. it was the only fish I have owned in the past 3 years that I had a burial for. I can't remember where it is buried though lol.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:29 PM   #11
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Not a great pic but here is my baby below...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg great-white-teeth.jpg (55.9 KB, 55 views)
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 06:44 PM   #12
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
Not a great pic but here is my baby below...
i spose you feed it guppys lol
bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 06:50 PM   #13
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob 351
i spose you feed it guppys lol
No I feed it open water swimmers.....He he he
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2007, 05:26 PM   #14
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Here are ours.

http://www.mcnews.com.au/NewsArchive...Fish/index.htm

Inside four footer. This is maninly Cichlids, in one of the shots you can also see a couple of car show trophies on the top of the tank.

Outside six footer. Koi, goldfish, dozens of bristlenose, half a dozen yabbies.

One of the small inside tanks.Various small stuff.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:17 PM   #15
ltd
Force Fed Fords

I have a 4 foot by 2 x 2 foot marine setup, it's now basically a coral tank. It has the twin metal halide lamps, sump filter, protein skimmer, chiller and UV filter. The tank holds between 400-500 litres of saltwater and about 80kg of live rock. I'll get some photos of it up soon, the old photos don't have the tunze pumps in them which has greatly improved the health of the corals. It looks alot like the monarch 120 photo in terms of what's in it.

I was away a couple of months ago for just over 2 weeks and the sump ran dry, got an ammonia spike and killed everything, including a rare green and purple tipped goni coral that cost $900.00.
Polyal your mate has got what's called a mantis shrimp. They kill off live stock and are incredibly difficult to catch. Some people keep them as pets, most marine enthusiasts find them to be a serial pest. Many a Saturday I have spent with buckets and containers removing corals, and then bathing the live rock in ultra salty water in order to get the bugger to come out of his hole. Rotten things they can be.

I've now got fishtanks running out of my ears. I have an older 4 foot tank that is setup for marines as well, eheim pump and all and I'll put it on ebay I think, or does this sites for sale section cover aquariums?

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2007, 08:05 PM   #16
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Here are ours.

http://www.mcnews.com.au/NewsArchive...Fish/index.htm

Inside four footer. This is maninly Cichlids, in one of the shots you can also see a couple of car show trophies on the top of the tank.

Outside six footer. Koi, goldfish, dozens of bristlenose, half a dozen yabbies.

One of the small inside tanks.Various small stuff.

Your tanks are mad mate, Your cichlids are really colourful. nice job
Old 07-03-2007, 08:07 PM   #17
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
I have a 4 foot by 2 x 2 foot marine setup, it's now basically a coral tank. It has the twin metal halide lamps, sump filter, protein skimmer, chiller and UV filter. The tank holds between 400-500 litres of saltwater and about 80kg of live rock. I'll get some photos of it up soon, the old photos don't have the tunze pumps in them which has greatly improved the health of the corals. It looks alot like the monarch 120 photo in terms of what's in it.

I was away a couple of months ago for just over 2 weeks and the sump ran dry, got an ammonia spike and killed everything, including a rare green and purple tipped goni coral that cost $900.00.
Polyal your mate has got what's called a mantis shrimp. They kill off live stock and are incredibly difficult to catch. Some people keep them as pets, most marine enthusiasts find them to be a serial pest. Many a Saturday I have spent with buckets and containers removing corals, and then bathing the live rock in ultra salty water in order to get the bugger to come out of his hole. Rotten things they can be.

I've now got fishtanks running out of my ears. I have an older 4 foot tank that is setup for marines as well, eheim pump and all and I'll put it on ebay I think, or does this sites for sale section cover aquariums?
Can't wait to see some pictures
Old 07-03-2007, 08:52 PM   #18
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'm currantly setting up for tropical but after seeing the marine set ups i just might have to change my thinking

i have a 3 ft tank with just goldies in it to get the levels right then once that happens ill be going to tropical

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2007, 10:22 PM   #19
walker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Boy
Hey everryone. I have 2 Aquariums. One cichlid tank which is 4 feet long and 3 foot with low ph fish. My pride and joy is my cichlid tank. I have had it for about 2 years now, I think. It is so easy to maintain. I haven't done anything with the water in almost a year. The shells keep it clean and perfect. Ive had the water tested and everything is great.

The only thing with cichlids is you can't really have other types of fish because they are agressive and will kill them, I have learnt the hard way lol. Catfish are the best fish to be kept with them because they get along well and keep the tank clean. I haven't had any problems with my cat being in there.

Heres a picture of one side of the tank. I might put more up abit later. Please post up some pictures of your tanks people

That sh**'s alover mine not even ganna post a pic...
That looks awsome, I bet a fair few $$$$'s in there, well the trial and error bit anyway

XE project underway
walker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 01:36 AM   #20
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker
That sh**'s alover mine not even ganna post a pic...
That looks awsome, I bet a fair few $$$$'s in there, well the trial and error bit anyway
Post them up mate, no one is judging. It just abit of fun

I have been fiddling around with aquariums for the past 3 years now. Most of the money I have spent over the years was with fish dying from either jumping out of tanks, being slaughterd by other fish or not having right PH levels.
It's alot of trial and error but once you gain the knowledge then you know exactly what your doing and if somthing goes wrong it's easily picked. Also you have to know the market value of some things and don't be afraid to try second hand. I got my 4 foot tank for just 25 bux .a tank like mine would cost 300 plus. then theres the filters, heaters, environment, lighting. Ive been fortunate to have had people around who would help out and I know people when it comes to deals so I would have saved hundreds over the years.

Anyway good luck with your tank and if you have any questions about it at all just pm me. Its good to find other people with similar interests.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:05 AM   #21
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Do you use seachem ph buffer? When I had freshwater I found the seachem brand to be the best, far better than the Red Sea ph buffer. Also, do you use a UV sterilizer?

Quote: