Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
muzz

Default AU sump plug

Hi, changed the oil recently on my AU1 4.0l. I noticed a small leak from the sump plug so bought a fibre washer and put it on, but the washer broke (I wasn't really twisting that hard either).

Anyway, as I was trying to temporarily put the bolt back in, it wouldn't go all the way in and I noticed some metal spring poking out of the hole. Probably a helicoil that mechanic had put in in a previous service.

I've put the bolt back in but not all the way. Not sure what to do now, because I wouldn't have a clue how to remove the old helicoil and perhaps replace it. Would it be an expensive job for a mechanic?

I have searched, but most threads relate to fixing a stripped thread.

Would be grateful for any suggestions.

muzz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz
Hi, changed the oil recently on my AU1 4.0l. I noticed a small leak from the sump plug so bought a fibre washer and put it on, but the washer broke (I wasn't really twisting that hard either).

Anyway, as I was trying to temporarily put the bolt back in, it wouldn't go all the way in and I noticed some metal spring poking out of the hole. Probably a helicoil that mechanic had put in in a previous service.

I've put the bolt back in but not all the way. Not sure what to do now, because I wouldn't have a clue how to remove the old helicoil and perhaps replace it. Would it be an expensive job for a mechanic?

I have searched, but most threads relate to fixing a stripped thread.

Would be grateful for any suggestions.
Not sure on how to fix a stripped threat but I do know that a lot of sump plug threads are stripped by people wrenching the sump plug off.

Biggest tip that I was given was to tighten the plug first to break the vacuum then loosen it off. Comes off nice and easy after that.

Good luck amigo
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2011, 12:11 AM   #3
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Been there, done that.

Here's my story and fix

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2015, 08:29 PM   #4
aken
Starter Motor

Default Re: AU sump plug

cost me $240 my mechanic got a mobile thread repair bloke in he did it without undoing the engine mounts somehow
aken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2015, 08:32 PM   #5
aken
Starter Motor

cost me $240 for a mobile thread repair bloke to come and do it he put a new helicoil in but it still seeps oil
aken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2015, 03:55 PM   #6
NCII40
XR6T BA 2002

I bought a sump 12mm sump plug bolt that tappers out to 12.8mm
used 2 sump plug washers
originals they strip pretty easy
you only meant to tighten them to 15nm as per the workshop manual
Old 15-02-2015, 05:06 PM   #7
Spurious

Maybe try some Loctite aviation gasket sealant no:3. (The non hardening one)
Put some of that on the thread & around the O ring seal / washer, hopefully that'll stop any leaks.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2015, 11:21 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

or you can go to ford and get a no. 1 or no. 2 or no. 3 over size sump plug and a tap dependent on what you need and do the job that way.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2015, 01:31 PM   #9
STINKY NINJA
Banned

I use a plastic washer and thread tape on mine,never leaks.
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post