Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 08-11-2005, 08:05 AM   #1
Bass Crazy

Default T5 Towing a decent load

Hey guys,

This month ill be using the EA to tow my other car from Melbourne to Shepparton for the spring car nationals.
Just wondering if anyone here has experience in towing with the ford T5, any tips/tricks?

I was thinking it might be a good idea to leave it in 4th rather then 5th on the freeway to save 5th the hard work. Is this nessacary? Only thing is that the engine will be up in the revs a bit at 110km/h and 3.27 diff, so 5th would be nice.

So yeah, any tips would be good.

Bass Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 08:41 AM   #2
Clarke AV
OzECruisers Treasurer

Towing a big load 80km leave it in 4th
Clarke AV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 09:01 AM   #3
Gunns
Banned

^^^^^^ What he said ^^^^^^ 80km/h tops with a big load on (1200kg+ including the trailer weight)
Gunns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 02:02 PM   #4
TuMor
its not a!

110kmph with that load is VERY scary if there is a crosswind, i know..

80kmph in 4th!

Charcoal Black
ohh yeeah
TuMor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 02:05 PM   #5
EFFalcon
Last warning

deffinately keep the speed down, after witnessing cars getting speed wobbles carrying loads, screw that!!!!!!
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 02:22 PM   #6
Walkinshaw
Two > One

80kmh isnt as bad as it sounds. We trailered a car From Geelong to Adelaide at 80kmh. Wasn't exactly fun, but wasn't TOO bad.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 02:25 PM   #7
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

I'd say I've driven probably 2000k's with car trailers/horse trailers in the last couple of years. Just get in to it - if you start getting speed wobbles or crosswinds, just take your foot off the go pedal and ride it out. Don't brake hard, as this will cause an accident.

Remember - a Falcon is a relatively big, heavy car - it's not like towing behind a Mighty Boy.

The T5 should be fine in 5th, providing you don't change up until you're up over 100. This is the advice I've got from several people who regularly tow big loads with the Ford 5 speed.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 07:24 PM   #8
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Used to tow a clevland powered Capri with a 5spd EB XR8 and used 5th gear no probs. As for this 80 kmh stuff, should only need to go slow if your trailer and or weight distribution is not right. Have been towing cars on trailers since I got my licence at 100 or over without incident when its setup properly.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:47 PM   #9
DentEd XR8

I've also been told 5th gear is alright aswell aslong as your already up too speed and just cruising, always kick it back a cog when you need to accelerate and you'll be sweet.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:48 PM   #10
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hey simon, ur actually going up there again? Reckon it'll be any good after last year? The cops were all over the place and crowds were well down. When is it by the way?
sphell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 10:54 PM   #11
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Invest in a weight distribution hitch...

Towed the ts to Wagga Wagga and on some blood woeful roads sitting on 110 without a drama..

No Sway, No Dramas
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 08:27 AM   #12
Bass Crazy

Thanks for the input guys.

I think i'll just have to go by feel. If she starts getting the wobbles, ill slow down. I have towed with dads EL auto at 100 without any issues, its just the T5 that was concerning me.

I guess ill leave her in 4th if im under 100, or going up a hill or something.

As for the trailer setup, I normally try to place all the weight to the front of the trailer, correct?

Doug, im guessing the crowds will be down again this year, but should still make a good weekend. I wont be taking the car off the trailer unless its at the track, so unless they go through the, I should be right.
Its on this month 25th 26th 27th.

Simon
Bass Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 09:43 AM   #13
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Yep - weight should go to the front of the trailer. Another key thing is make sure the car on the trailer is DEAD STRAIGHT... I loaded an engine-less ZH on to a trailer once, jammed with the front of the car to the left and the rear to the right, diagonally across the trailer... Scary on the road.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 10:14 AM   #14
NZ
~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Crazy
Thanks for the input guys.

I think i'll just have to go by feel. If she starts getting the wobbles, ill slow down. I have towed with dads EL auto at 100 without any issues, its just the T5 that was concerning me.

I guess ill leave her in 4th if im under 100, or going up a hill or something.

As for the trailer setup, I normally try to place all the weight to the front of the trailer, correct?

Doug, im guessing the crowds will be down again this year, but should still make a good weekend. I wont be taking the car off the trailer unless its at the track, so unless they go through the, I should be right.
Its on this month 25th 26th 27th.

Simon
I remember reading somewhere that you should try to get 10% of the weight towed onto the drawbar. Definitly don't put the car all the way to the front of the trailer.
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2005, 10:46 AM   #15
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will depend on the weight of the towed vehicle and placement of the trailer axles. Trailer I used was setup so no matter what car you put on it it went right to the front. As Laminge said get a weight hitch and get it setup properly then no worries what ever speed you want to do.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:34 AM   #16
347Stroker
Banned

Ok guys, I think the thread is about the T5 and towing, and not how to tow...lol

Well, I tow every day with a T5 equipped Falcon, and can tell you, they are not the best for the job.
Basically NEVER EVER select 5th gear under 100kph. And I mean never. What it does is overload the box, due to overdrive overun and heats the box up significantly. As you are aware, the T5 uses ATF fluid for an oil, and not the old 90w gear oil used in gearboxes of old. The problem here is that ATF breaks down above 90 deg C and starts to act as water, not a good lubricant.
Heat is the major enemy of the T5, and the case grows about 80 thou under heat, which unloads the bearings, and causes premature wear, and subsequently failure.
I have 3 boxes here, and just rotate them as noise starts to appear. It is generally the lay shaft bearings that go first, and you will hear a slight rattle in the box at idle.

Just keep full throttle applications to a minimum, and remember to let the box keep cool, and you should have no dramas.

Matt
347Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post