Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 03-11-2005, 11:16 AM   #1
NEG
Diabolus

Default XR6 v's XR8

Hey guys im looking at buying an E series XR6 or XR8, but I can't deside which one. I want to supercharge or turbo it and was origanaly set on getting an XR8 but they seem to be a fair bit more expensive and harder to find then the 6. Iv also been told you can get more power out of the XR6. So any advice or opinions would be much appreciated. Also would the standard 5 speed and diff hold up to around 300fwkw?

NEG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2005, 11:28 AM   #2
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

You should post this in the E-Series section mate! (but here is good too)

Either way you go, you're a winner. The 8 might be a bit more pricey to mod, as you'd either need to go for heads/intake upgrade (plus MAF, t/b, and maybe the cam + rrs if you're keen), or whack on a blower & be done with it, assuming the engine isn't due for a rebuild. I'm personally opting for all of the above :P

You could also stroke the 8, which is something you can't do with the 6 due to it pretty much already being maxed out with its crank size. For an NA 300fwkw Windsor, you'd either want a VERY grumpy/hot 5.0, or a warm stroker (331, 342, 347). 300fwkw would be much easier and cheaper to obtain with a blower.

Then you could turbo/twin turbo the windsor! Keep in mind that the block is the weak point, but if you're aiming for 300kwkw, the block will be safely within its loading limits.

Now for the I6.

The six breathes well to begin with, so you don't really have to worry about spending moolah on a better head & intake. You can get around 230fwkw out of the I6 with NA mods (has anyone bettered this?) for well under 10 grand.

You can supercharge or turbo (or twin turbo) the six too and achieve 300fwkw. There's a guy with a turbo ED with 460rwkw on the forums ;) "TUFED6" I think?

Do a search in the E-Series section, as well as the Ford 6s and Windsor sections.

Whatever XR you get, they're a great car!

Oh, and the standard T5 (and clutch!) might not like 300fwkw... You'd have to drive very conservatively if you want it to survive!

-Dave-
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2005, 11:51 AM   #3
XRated
Shoot.

Turboing the six is probably cheaper and more viable in the end. Plus there is room to strengthen the bottom end and increase the PSI. Not to mention, there is already plenty of turbo E-Series I6s getting around with very impressive results.

I don't think you'd want more than 200 @ the rears for the standard T5.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2005, 11:54 AM   #4
parawolf
beep beep

Remember, it is torque which kills the transmission/clutch not so much the kW.

Torque = twisting force
kW = power = force/time
Old 03-11-2005, 12:07 PM   #5
LTDHO
The one and only

I'd go xr8 manual. Howevery there isn't alot of engine bay space so an XR6 Manual could be easier.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2005, 12:26 PM   #6
NEG
Diabolus

Thx for the help guys.
Just one more question, Turbo or supercharger?
Iv been looking at the CAPA kits and Snort Performance, the turbo seems to be better value? Or can anyone recomend any other kits? Thx.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:06 PM   #7
Swordie

The 6 is probably the best. I wonder if it's worth considering a modified 351?
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2005, 08:40 PM   #8
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

A couple of general points without going too deep. XR8 is generally more expensive than six, money saved is money for mods. 6 will take more mods to produce desired power (because it starts with less power). Both 6 and 8 will handle 300kw, there are plenty out there putting out this power but the eight will take less mods to get there. So the 8 vs 6 question comes down to budget, price the cost of modding both to get the power that you want. Also remember that sound is often important to those that mod cars, 8's nearly always sound better with less work done than a six will (8's have soul IMO).
Turbo vs SC, not clear cut. 6's tend to suit turbo because there are a lot of these mods already done so the knowledge is plentiful and there are lots of components available. The down side is turbo's tend to require revs to get into the boost zone (some more than others). 8's tend to suit SC as they accompany the low down torque of the 8's better, lots of power from down low means a very flexible motor for good accelleration from any speed and any gear when compared to turbo. There are exceptions to these generalisations but that is the fun part of design. The down side of turbos on 8's is often cost as you have to fork out for two turbos but the rewards are huge. In the end it would probably cost you similar money to do a SC 8 with 300fwkw as it would a turbo 6 with the same power. The difference is likely to be the 8 will produce power lower in the rev range and will also be less effected by things such as heat.
Comes down to what you like, where you want the power and what you want to use the car for. Expense is likely to be fairly similar between the two, do the research and work out what suits you best, there is no clear "whats best" answer and anyone that tells you there is doesn't know what they are talking about.
Personally I would go SC 8 as a budget power house with low down grunt and an awesome exhaust note, but that is me.

Good luck and don't forget to show us the end product.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:54 PM   #9
ef5l

sorry gecko but i disagree
the centrifical supercharges usually used on the 6 and 8s, require the same or if not more revs to create boost and power if you are thinking of roots style etc they produce low end boost and heaps of torque, if it is going to be modded just by whatever comes up and appeals to you there is pro's and cons about both motors. i got an 8 cause i love the sound and the torque of v8s but i would have a six anyday..
ef5l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2005, 10:01 PM   #10
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ef5l
sorry gecko but i disagree
the centrifical supercharges usually used on the 6 and 8s, require the same or if not more revs to create boost and power if you are thinking of roots style etc they produce low end boost and heaps of torque, if it is going to be modded just by whatever comes up and appeals to you there is pro's and cons about both motors. i got an 8 cause i love the sound and the torque of v8s but i would have a six anyday..

I agree with you on the blowers, I was actually referring to PD SC and remember I was talking general terms (there are variations according to design, eg XR6T produces torque earlier than XR8). Everything else is pretty much what I said. The end message is work out what you want, do the costing and work it out from there. Such a broad topic is impossible to answer with a stroke of the keyboard over a forum.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:24 PM   #11
NEG
Diabolus

thx again guys, I think i'm even more confused about what to go for now than befor haha :nutsycuck . I'll keep looking around and see what happens.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:40 PM   #12
sbcb
BA Xr8

Get the 8, whatever you do to the 6, not matter how fast it goes, it won't be an 8.
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2005, 05:48 PM   #13
Gambit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcb
Get the 8, whatever you do to the 6, not matter how fast it goes, it won't be an 8.
I think up until the el2 xr8 the xr6 was the quicker car. Also if you want any decent power out of the xr8 before the au you will have to get rid of the heads & manifold (manifold not necessary on el2 xr8).
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2005, 05:52 PM   #14
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

V8 V8 V8 V8

As you can see I like V8's
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2005, 06:21 PM   #15
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

If choosing an i6...

Does starting with an XR6 give you and advantage over starting with a Gli/Futura, considering that the engine is going to be pretty much overhauled?
Paris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2005, 03:37 AM   #16
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

LSD, trim spec, ECU,body work, suspension and the ability to be a member of any of the XR clubs, damn straight it does!
Old 05-11-2005, 04:22 AM   #17
tick5.0
Want some classic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoxr8
LSD, trim spec, ECU,body work, suspension and the ability to be a member of any of the XR clubs, damn straight it does!
Also resale value, street cred, attractive alloys, easier to find in manual and they also look nicer imo! :
EF II XR8, Supercharged manual *** FOR SALE ***
XC Falcon, waiting for the Clevo & C4 - Sold
AE101 Corolla, the daily - Sold
SII RX-7, original - Sold
BF II GT
Alfa Romeo 156 JTS, the new daily
Z31 300ZX Turbo
tick5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2005, 04:24 AM   #18
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tick5.0
Also resale value, street cred, attractive alloys, easier to find in manual and they also look nicer imo! :

No brainer really! :
Old 06-11-2005, 11:45 AM   #19
Swordie

Try this Forum for research. It has heaps of technical stuff.

FordMods
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2005, 12:41 PM   #20
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Problem with the V8 is that to get 300kw+ you need to replace heads, cam, upper/lower intake at a minimum, now we're talking $5k+ just there if you get the good stuff. The stock parts are terrible on the 165kw windsor. Sure you can find slightly better components going cheap from an AU, but they still arnt really much chop for high hp.
So not only will you have to pay more for the car, you need another $5k just to get it up to standard.
A supercharger kit on a stock 165kw Windsor wont yield you more than about 220kw at the engine, wouldnt matter how much boost you're running, the engine just wont flow more than that.

Good thing with the 6 is you dont need to replace those items to yield 300kw or more, many people have made 300kw at the wheels with the stock I6 and a turbo kit.

Now this low down torque rubbish is something only small engines suffer from lag, the Falcon 6 has a load of low down torque already, due to its massive amount of stroke, and a turbo is not going to take that away (sure maybe if we're talking a 1000hp turbo)

Other than the sound, there is no advantage with the Windsor, and IMO its a disadvantage.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.

Last edited by XR Martin; 06-11-2005 at 12:47 PM.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2005, 01:08 PM   #21
EDXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
A supercharger kit on a stock 165kw Windsor wont yield you more than about 220kw at the engine, wouldnt matter how much boost you're running, the engine just wont flow more than that.
A Vortech CAPA kit on a 165kw engine will produce around 220-240rwkw, or around 300fwkw. Boost overcomes the restriction in the heads and intake to a point, but it 300fwkw is about the max.

As for xr6 v xr8, it comes down to preference, budeget and what sort of power you want. But yeah, turbo 6's are easier and cheaper to get big power from (250rwkw+).
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 03:48 AM   #22
Video_Guy
Starter Motor

Get the V8 just for the sound of the exhaust - a six just does not have the character and muscle 'sound' of a V8 - a bad sounding V* still craps on any six exhaust note

EB Falcon S XR8
Lowered - 17" ROH RT's
Pretty rough - but fun to drive - sounds like a V8 should :
Video_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 12:33 PM   #23
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Video_Guy
- a bad sounding V* still craps on any six exhaust note
Id rather listen to a M3 or Porsche exhaust than a 253 'thong slapper'
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 12:43 PM   #24
XCH45R
shhh.. im hunting ricers

haha the good old 253, only thing there good is for a boat anchor!

Why not just by a standard EF/EL 6 your only paying the extra for the odd bits and peices u get with an XR!
XCH45R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 02:33 PM   #25
DentEd XR8

After driving my own car and my mates ED XR6 (manual) extensively I much prefer mine over the XR6 and to be honest will never go back to a 6 again unless 8's dissappear off the face of the planet. The character of each motor is heaps different, the 6 tends to be more rev happy but doesn't have the same pulling feeling as the 8, I also think the 8's handle a touch better with the extra weight over the front.

In the end it will all come down to how much you want to spend, if you want heaps of power obviously money isn't going to be much of an issue and I'd get the 8, if there is a budget invovled and it's pretty limited the 6 will gain the best results for least amount of money spent. And if it's going to be pretty much stock the best bet is to go out and drive both and make your own judgement.

And as far as which one is faster, my XR8 is completely stock and it hasn't lost to my mates ED XR6 which has been slightly modified (exhaust, inlet manifold, intake, EA geared T5)
Old 09-11-2005, 12:45 PM   #26
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Video_Guy
Get the V8 just for the sound of the exhaust - a six just does not have the character and muscle 'sound' of a V8 - a bad sounding V* still craps on any six exhaust note
I disagree,the six with the right induction mods sounds very meaty indeed,should come hear mine with a flat right foot thru first and second and see if you think that the six has no character.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:21 PM   #27
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

you havent mentioned how long you intend on keeping your rocket.. Initial outlay becomes a negating factor if you intend on keeping the buggy for a while. My personal opinion is if you are keen on heavily modifying a Falcon forget the XR, a boosted GL is worth the same as a boosted XR, people pay for the output and 1/4 times, not the cosmetics. You might have some more 'bragging rights' but it doesn't make your pennis any longer and to me isn't worth the extra upfront cost when most of the mechanical goodies will be upgraded or changed anyway. i won't tip into the 6 or 8 debate because it really comes down to what model E'series you are looking at.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post