Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Default How much do 8's cost compared to 6's?

Afternoon ladies,

Just wondering how much more an 8 would cost compared to a 6 in terms of upkeep. So like, rego, insurance, extra fuel costs, service and all that stuff. I would do the math myself but I wouldn't know where to pluck numbers from in terms of the extra fuel and maintainence. Currently, I6 costs me about 200-220 per week for all the of the above not including modifications or emergency repairs.

I will be in the market for a car in about 7 to 8 months time as I am currently saving and just getting a small pay rise at work. Have been looking around for costs and I have been looking at some 6Ts but have noticed some nice looking 8's go for around the same price so just wondering how much your 8s cost you per week/month.

Kable72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: How much do 8's cost compared to 6's?

If you going to use an 8 for a daily I would say it would be around 350 a week.

Compare to my current car. BA GT in petrol to drive to work 6 days a week and only to and from work the cost is $180. Using my Girlfriends VX Berlina it cost around $80 for 6 days to and from work.

Repair cost. A minor Service for my BA GT cost me $250 that was at a mechanic charged for basic oil and filter and air filter change. The GF's Berlina would be around $120.

I know people say do it your self, but I work 6 days a week. leave early in morning and get home after 8pm. BUt it is not possible for me to do it my self.

Rego cost. here in Melbourne if you have a 4 cylinder straight 6 or a V8. the cost is the same.

Also insurance a year. BA GT $1600 and VX Berlina $800 a year.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The v8s have two extra sparkplugs, that can make a huge difference depending on whether you use them or not.

Seriously - it depends on how far you drive, how you drive, where you drive etc. An xr6t can be cheaper than a NA 6 if driven conservatively. The v8 can be hugely thirsty if you take it to redline in every gear. It all depends on the use
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Mainly just usual driving with an occasional squirt. I do admit that the fuel question is about ambiguous though. Was just after a ballpark figure so I can see if I can afford it or not. But not really knowing anyone with a V8 I can't exactly work it out properly. Pretty much just ****ing in the dark.

Also note that my I6 is currently using 18L/100 and I can't figure out why for the life of me. So I'm going to assume that the fuel costs out of my pocket are going to be about similar for now.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also you have to take into account that for a V8 you need PULP. I used 98 in the GT. With the I6 you can use ULP. SO the price per liter is more.

In heavy traffic to and from work I used around 16/100ks.

Is the car running rough if so, could be a vacuum leak.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #6
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Expect an extra 30% all round. You're unlikely to drive a V8 more sedately than you drive your I6.

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The v8 uses more fuel for the same km driven the same way as athe xr6t. The xr6t costs more to service due to having to do all of the manifold nuts up every service and to do the oil filter properly. Both cost the same for suspension bushes, brakes, etc. The v8 costs more to register. Insurance depends on suburb and your status.
The i6 is the cheapest of the lot, but is like eating brown bread with no butter or jam....
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 11-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

I generally use 98 as I had a bad batch of 91 and 95 3 weeks in a row. Switched to 98 and never had a problem since.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
kempy311
BEN

Also depends how old you are with insurance that could put your prices up a bit.
My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.
12.7 sec stock as a rock with a passenger.
Now with 620rwhp ready to run the 10

built zf, built tailshaft, corn juice all to come.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
kempy311 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #10
Glen 5150
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your in Qld like me, so rego extra $200 per year. Insurance $100 - 200 extra? Petrol, say average 20,000kms per year thats 400km per week? Allow up to 4 litre per 100km extra? So 16 litres extra a week? 16 x $1.60 = $26

All up $35+ per week extra?
Glen 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Putting it that way it doesn't seem so bad. I'm probably end up going for the 6T as it just seems like it's going to be cheaper but if I see a good, tidy XR8 or a good value GT I'm probably not going to say no.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #12
Glen 5150
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72
Putting it that way it doesn't seem so bad. I'm probably end up going for the 6T as it just seems like it's going to be cheaper but if I see a good, tidy XR8 or a good value GT I'm probably not going to say no.
Yes but thats $1750+ per year? Insurance on the T would at best be the same.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #13
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I would not be worrying about the small amount of difference for choosing the car. If you go an xr6t it won't be long before you gat the itch to modify it, which will negate any savings you may have made by not buying the v8
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

Old 11-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #14
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Yeah I do have plans for mods, don't you worry about that. I'm getting a new car with intention to mod and get some good 1/4 times.

Glen, I knew getting a 6T or an 8 was going to cost me more than the current I6. There is no two ways about it. Just is a matter of how much and if I can afford it.

Insurance on the T is about 400 more than what I'm paying now for the I6 so it's not to bad and after having a quick look it's about the same for the 6T for insurance on the 8 so there is a common cost there between the two straight away.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #15
Glen 5150
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Insurance on the T is about 400 more than what I'm paying now for the I6 so it's not to bad and after having a quick look it's about the same for the 6T for insurance on the 8 so there is a common cost there between the two straight away.
Yeah I thought the insurance costs would cancel themselves out. Not sure how old you are, but i'm 42, and I was paying around $700 insurance on both my B series XR8's. Rego and petrol will be the only issue as both will be roughly the same in maintenance costs. Around the city in a 8 the best you could hope for is around 15l/p100km. Highway i used to get low to mid 10's. Just drive both, and choose the one you feel more comfortable with. Lifes short, enjoy it.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #16
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Give up the fags and/or booze (assuming you enjoy either or both in some quantity) and you can enjoy owning a V8 for no extra cost
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #17
Glen 5150
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra
Give up the fags and/or booze and you can enjoy owning a V8 for no extra cost.
And the smokes also.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #18
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Lol I don't smoke and I barely drink. Not giving up my fags though ;)

To answer your question, I'll be 21 before I'll have ownership of the new car so it will of vourse be a pinch more expensive than yours but I have had my current car for just over 2 and a half years so hopefully when I go to insure a different car they can see that I haven't had a claim in that period if it would even help a little I'll be happy.

But I think I'll go with your advice and just go with what the seat of my pants likes better, an 8 or the 6T
Old 11-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #19
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

My 8 costs me about $30 in fuel each week to cover 400kms so I'm not complaining.

I can't compare as I havent owned an I6 for 9 years now (my BA for 6 and a 5.0L EF for the 3 before that), and that was an EA, so I dont know how much more efficient the BA 6s are than the 8s.

I get about 13L/100kms. But it all does depend on your driving style, where you drive, traffic etc. I havent noticed any real service cost differences, it all depends on where you get it done and how much they want to charge.

Insurance is going to be very steep, and probably difficult to attain, with either a V8 or 6T given you are under 25 so that wont be a huge difference.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #20
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

Mate, do you want a 4, a 6 or an 8? If you're fumbling around wondering if an 8 is ok, or if the 6 will be more efficient... Go with the 6 cyl or 4 cyl..

Like my old man told me. 'either you got it, or you aint'.

There is a passion for V8's. Like the passion for GT. If you have to ask, you just don't get it.
XR6Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #21
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Runner
Mate, do you want a 4, a 6 or an 8? If you're fumbling around wondering if an 8 is ok, or if the 6 will be more efficient... Go with the 6 cyl or 4 cyl..

Like my old man told me. 'either you got it, or you aint'.

There is a passion for V8's. Like the passion for GT. If you have to ask, you just don't get it.

Take your comments elsewhere, if you had of read the thread you would have seen that I am thinking of a 6T or a V8. Read the thread before making dick head comments.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #22
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

well my v8 non XR ute costs me $114 per week just to pay for it.. and usually I can get away with a tank a week.so about $100 in fuel. but I agree with XR6Runner though.. if cost is really that big a concern.. buy a standard car because you obviously cant afford these ones.
BTW I stopped my $100 p/w smoking addiction to buy my ute. this has no relevance but Im as pleased as pi ss with myself for it haha.

2006 BF XL 5.4 3v 220 Barra V8 1 tonne ute. Auto

2003 TJ Wrangler ready to Rock N Roll.. Auto
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 11:33 PM   #23
eyes87
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For my xr8 I pay 125 a week for the repayment. 100-130 a week for petrol and then rego I think is like 600 and my insurance is a touch under 800. 790 something. I'm 24 so next year the insurance will hopefully start coming down.

PERFORMANCE MODS CAI + pod filter. That's all for the moment. More to come soon

VISUAL MODS 18in wheels wrapped in pirelli pzero nero. Push button start. Black XR8 badges, black 260 bonnet stripes, black 260 spoiler stickers, blackened sections on my tail lights, tinted side indicators, blue interior LEDs, HID head Lights, LED angel eyes and a BF typhoon front bar in the shed waiting to get painted.
eyes87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 11:33 PM   #24
eyes87
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Double post

PERFORMANCE MODS CAI + pod filter. That's all for the moment. More to come soon

VISUAL MODS 18in wheels wrapped in pirelli pzero nero. Push button start. Black XR8 badges, black 260 bonnet stripes, black 260 spoiler stickers, blackened sections on my tail lights, tinted side indicators, blue interior LEDs, HID head Lights, LED angel eyes and a BF typhoon front bar in the shed waiting to get painted.
eyes87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 12:19 AM   #25
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

$700 per fortnight all up for mine including loan, insurance, tyres, fuel etc.

My V8 cost me about $100 p/w less, however it wasn't a new car either.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #26
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Also note that my I6 is currently using 18L/100 and I can't figure out why for the life of me. So I'm going to assume that the fuel costs out of my pocket are going to be about similar for now.
Well, i get that (18l/100) out of my XR8 going to work each day (a mix of highway and town driving). a Full tank 80l costs about $105 and lasts about 2 weeks.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #27
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Just got another quote with AAMI on the 8, Per month it will only cost me 64c more than what I pay now... Go figure.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #28
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

If you are doing alot of stop-start in traffic, the V8 is very thirsty. When I had the XR8, the car was doing anywhere from 18 to 20 ltrs per 100kms. And rego was a fair bit more being an 8cyl.

Now with he I6T, I'm getting around low 13's in the ltrs per 100km range, lots of torque and rego is cheaper. Insurance was around the same, like only different by $60 to $80 per year. But the main difference was in the fuel, and this is 80 % city driving.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #29
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

But the noise, the noise!!! Lol. As I said I'm looking for a good 6T but if the right V8 comes along I'll probably grab it
Old 13-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #30
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It does not matter at all as the toll roads cost me far more than anything in fuel or rego and even if i was paying off a new car.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post