Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-05-2005, 12:25 AM   #1
Vision Zetec
Hurry up Germany!!

Default JMM-3000 series Performance Stall Converter

Hey,
i was just on your website and read about the new stall converter that you have made! congrats!

can you please explain what a stall converter is. i have the general idea but not really!

thanks

-Daniel
Old 19-05-2005, 04:52 PM   #2
Bangers

I got a question to with the stall converter. Does it take care of the ECU and torque reduction? I know on my AU2, if I slam the brakes in, and keeps the rev's myself at 2200-2400, when I let her go, you can really feel the car lagging with the ECU/Trans torque redunction...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2005, 04:53 PM   #3
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

I6 AU's do NOT have significant torque reduction like the V8's.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2005, 11:15 PM   #4
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

I don’t know how bad the reduction is, but the more you stall the worse it gets....we done 2.45 - 60 foot on 2100 rpm stall up...
then 2.18 - 60 foot from a 1200 rpm stall, looks to me there is something sending a lot of sympathy to the auto...
this was done on a AU 6 Forte..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2005, 08:58 AM   #5
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

I agree with the effect of a hard stall up on an I6.

My wagon is exactly the same. A light stall 1000-1200 rpm is best any more and it sort of limps away from the line no doubt about it.

Exactly why though not too sure. I guess it has to be an ecu function of some kind though as i can't see how or why the torque converter would do this.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2005, 09:04 AM   #6
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Mine is the same but I dont believe it is a torque reduction issue. I personally think that by stalling up to maximum the motor itself is doing something rather than the auto telling it to reduce power.
I'll know soon enough. If it is torque reduction (which I'm convinced it isnt) then fitting a 3000rpm converter will have absolutely no effect on the car as the auto will still crap out at about 2000rpm. I doubt this will be the case. I'm betting I'll be able to stall to well in excess of 2000rpm without any "lag" off the line. In which case the idea of torque reduction goes straight out the window.

I'll let everyone know.

Old 20-05-2005, 11:41 AM   #7
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Jason at Dominator tells us 2800rpm is the limit, some cars wont handle that, they have had the odd car which will handle more...
we had plenty of limp home mods with a 2500 rpm stall, power and torque also effects the way the limp home mode works...

Old 20-05-2005, 11:45 AM   #8
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Well, the 3000rpm is going into the car in August, apparently I can get around the limp home mode. May be a J3 plug function, not sure. I'll find out from Brenden later on but this stall has already been fitted and workng in other EECV cars so there must be a way.

Old 20-05-2005, 12:16 PM   #9
EFFalcon
Last warning

From what i heard there is a limp home mode work around.
i spoke to someone a few weeks ago about it and they said it was a very simple change.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2005, 08:24 PM   #10
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
From what i heard there is a limp home mode work around.
i spoke to someone a few weeks ago about it and they said it was a very simple change.
Hi John, do share your info or send me a PM..
Chiptorque as of around 6 weeks back did not have the capability’s to stop the limp home mode...
Old 21-05-2005, 03:54 AM   #11
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
Hi John, do share your info or send me a PM..
Chiptorque as of around 6 weeks back did not have the capability’s to stop the limp home mode...
I wish i could give you more information.
i'm only going from what i was told by someone i was talking about who owned an EB.
they had the auto shift kitted and were looking at stall converters at the time, i said to them about the ~2500rpm limit and he said he knew about it and some auto trans place had a work around, unfortauntely i don't know the guy or recall the name of the place
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2005, 09:03 PM   #12
Brenden
"THE" Workshop manager.

One of our AU customers recently put a 3000 series stall in his car with Dev5 and tricks, first run with street tyres was apparantly useless, so he donned the slicks and still apparently traction problems in first gear. Overall an instant improvement in 60 foot times from 2.2 and 2.3 to straight 2's off the line with no traction. Both slicks and street tyres showed dramitic improvement off the line, however on the street its a tyre burner, or at least that was the complaint !

AME Albury carshow Horsepower Hero 2005
AME Adelaide carshow Horsepower Hero 2005
AME Shepparton carshow Horsepower Hero 2005
AME Melbourne Highest horsepower 6 turbo 2005
AME Melbourne Highest horsepower N/A 6 2005
All Ford nationals DYO 10.5 and over champion 2005
Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2005, 09:05 PM   #13
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

God Damn it August..HURRY UP!! I want to play!!!

Old 23-05-2005, 10:14 PM   #14
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenden
One of our AU customers recently put a 3000 series stall in his car with Dev5 and tricks
Hi Brendan, can i ask the 3000 series Hi Stall, what RPM does it stall to?

Old 23-05-2005, 10:19 PM   #15
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

From the site:
Quote:
Launching a Falcon fitted with a trusty 4 speed BTR automatic transmission off the line has always been a daunting task. The high ratio first gear in the BTR 4 speeds never gave Ford fans a chance against the low ratio thunder of the Holden TH700.

The task of launching a falcon off the line has been left up to clumsy diff ratio changes, which is great for the drag strip but only leads to huge fuel consumption on the Street. Matched with the cost of re-calibrating the speedo and altering speed limiters to get your vehicle running correctly, only makes diff ratio changes a very expensive and stressful task.

After two years of various testing programs, Jim Mock Motorsport has come up with the answer. The new JMM 3000 series Performance Stall Converter for 4 speed BTR transmissions will transform the Falcon owner’s high ratio BTR 4 speed slug into a line munching machine.

Brenden Mock from JMM designed the converter to aggressively stall to the desired lockup speed and launch. Quite often tyre smoking is a result. Brenden wanted to keep the street ability of the auto as well, so light throttle driving is still as per normal and the overdrive lockup plate takes over while cruising or on the highway, keeping fuel economy to the max.

Matched with a JMM-DEV5 Engine Performance Kit and a 3.45 ratio limit slip diff, the JMM 3000 Series Converter will flash to 3100 rpm instantly. If fitted behind a stock engine, the stall speed of up to 2500 rpm is normal. In Basic, the more power you make the higher it will stall. If used in conjunction with a turbocharged setup stall speeds of well over 3000 rpm are an easy task.

Jim Mock Motorsport state “The main aim of the converter is to keep a sensible diff ratio and be able to launch the car hard off the line. At the same time, having a torque converter that actually works and doesn’t continuously slip once past the stall speed was a big task. Some modified converters will stall and then slip their way thru the rev range basically chewing the fuel and loosing power. We also modify the lockup in the converter to ensure good economy and drive ability”.

“Next thing to do is fit the stall converter with a lower diff ratio, a setup suitable for full time racers, and hold on”.

Old 23-05-2005, 10:30 PM   #16
SpoolMan

Thanks Casper that explians the Hamburger with the lot...
Old 28-05-2005, 04:23 PM   #17
asian_warrior01

when you go through the gears does the stall converter work then aswell or only off the line. i inderstand how a stardard tourqe converter and a stall converter to a degree but whats got me how do you take off the line right
asian_warrior01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2005, 12:17 PM   #18
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Brenden Mock from JMM designed the converter to aggressively stall to the desired lockup speed and launch. Quite often tyre smoking is a result. Brenden wanted to keep the street ability of the auto as well, so light throttle driving is still as per normal and the overdrive lockup plate takes over while cruising or on the highway, keeping fuel economy to the max.
that has me real interested, nice and stock acting in normal driving, but when you punch it, its steight to max tourque, i like
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2005, 01:26 PM   #19
asian_warrior01

but what happens during gear changes when you punch it
Old 29-05-2005, 01:30 PM   #20
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_warrior01
but what happens during gear changes when you punch it
Exactly the same as what happens now if you are punching it from a standstill as your gear changes occur at 5500rpm and only drops down to about 3800rpm or thereabouts so you are above the stall speed. If you floor it while just cruising it will select the lowest ratio gear it can...usually putting you well above 3000rpm anyhow.

Its really just for good launches as, once moving, if your "going for it" your going to stay well above the 3000rpm stall speed anyhow.

Old 29-05-2005, 07:43 PM   #21
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenden
One of our AU customers recently put a 3000 series stall in his car with Dev5 and tricks, first run with street tyres was apparantly useless, so he donned the slicks and still apparently traction problems in first gear. Overall an instant improvement in 60 foot times from 2.2 and 2.3 to straight 2's off the line with no traction. Both slicks and street tyres showed dramitic improvement off the line, however on the street its a tyre burner, or at least that was the complaint !
Brenden I realise that your focus is the I6, but do you know if your 3000convertors will run free of limp home mode in the Au xr8's ??? We have this problem also....

Sylox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2005, 07:44 PM   #22
asian_warrior01

thanks for that,last bit of info i need is how do you launch are car successfully of the line with are car with a stall converter
Old 29-05-2005, 07:54 PM   #23
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_warrior01
thanks for that,last bit of info i need is how do you launch are car successfully of the line with are car with a stall converter
Same way you do now. All auto's in Falcons have stall converters already, they are just not as high as the JMM3000.
So there is no major difference except the car can stall higher therefore getting the engine into the peak power band earlier....and that gets you moving faster.

Old 30-05-2005, 05:39 PM   #24
asian_warrior01

thanks casper your were a great help cheers
Old 30-05-2005, 10:57 PM   #25
Bangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Same way you do now. All auto's in Falcons have stall converters already, they are just not as high as the JMM3000.
So there is no major difference except the car can stall higher therefore getting the engine into the peak power band earlier....and that gets you moving faster.
So there's an off switch? So it has a normal idle? No need to smoke Mrs. Librarian in her Barina... :p
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2005, 11:42 PM   #26
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

Doesnt quite work like that bangers.

When you tromp it the revs jump to 3000RPM and dump you into the torque
driving normally they just drive nearly like stock

Last edited by Sylox; 30-05-2005 at 11:44 PM.
Sylox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2005, 11:51 PM   #27
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Will have to proove this theory on Thursday
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2005, 04:02 PM   #28
DUMTEF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im very much interested in one of these for my ef, my only questions is in regards to limp home mode, have you guys come up with a way around it??

Cheers Adam
DUMTEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2005, 04:14 PM   #29
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUMTEF
im very much interested in one of these for my ef, my only questions is in regards to limp home mode, have you guys come up with a way around it??

Cheers Adam
Well, I know of one E series and one AU that has it fitted and both have stated that there has been no limp home issues so whatever they have done it works.

Old 03-06-2005, 04:15 PM   #30
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Will have to proove this theory on Thursday
Well, from what I hear the threory has been proven to be VERY much fact now hasnt it Gary? :hihi: