Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 20-11-2006, 02:30 AM   #1
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

Default SVT airbox for zetec

Hi
Can anyone tell me if I can fit an svt airbox for my 2004 LR zetec? If so is it a straight fit or does it need any mods?

3 door, Panther Black, Manual, 17" MP3 Alloys, SVT Airbox with K&N panel filter, SVT Snorkel, Leather Gear Knob and Steel Handbrake Cover, ST170 pedals, ST170 Lower grille, CFM UDP

Not too soon : Focus sport/Borla Exhaust, Throttle body

1lifeliveit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 08:22 AM   #2
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

You need to mod the bottom of the airbox, as the inlet for the piping is a very different shape. You have to cut some of the box away in some spots, but attempt to fill in the existing hole in some others. Not a simple or neat mod
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 11:57 AM   #3
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

Ok I have ordered svt airbox and svt snorkel. Does that make it simpler?

The outlet from the box to the engine seems shorter than stock. Is there a problem as well?

3 door, Panther Black, Manual, 17" MP3 Alloys, SVT Airbox with K&N panel filter, SVT Snorkel, Leather Gear Knob and Steel Handbrake Cover, ST170 pedals, ST170 Lower grille, CFM UDP

Old 20-11-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
simonr
Focus Rookie

its a ***** fitting the ST/SVT snorkel to the zetec box.. but it is possible.. a half hour or so, a saw and some tape....!!

But id recommend the Vollant intake, over the SVT box.. its nearly legal and youd see better gains.. and definately a better sound!

Check out..

http://www.myzx3.com/how-to/volant-svt.htm
http://www.focushacks.com/ (is always a good one aswell)

Im glad we have more LRs popping up in the forum, i think im catching the modification bug again!
Old 20-11-2006, 02:02 PM   #5
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

I was going to get a volant 1 till I saw this

http://www.ojengineering.com/dyno-re....php?DynoID=12

Old 20-11-2006, 03:01 PM   #6
simonr
Focus Rookie

hmmmmmmm interesting..i had read different things on the focusfanatics website.. but no one had dynoed and compared them directly..

i wonder if in that dyno the Volant was using the ST snorkel..
Old 20-11-2006, 03:28 PM   #7
Lonesta
XR5 eater...=P

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonr
Im glad we have more LRs popping up in the forum, i think im catching the modification bug again!
Yes mod mod mod, Ive been drooling over Focus forums for the past year waiting for my warranty to run out...now it has and im gonna go all out lol.
Lonesta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 07:35 PM   #8
simonr
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonesta
Yes mod mod mod, Ive been drooling over Focus forums for the past year waiting for my warranty to run out...now it has and im gonna go all out lol.

The worst thing is that im BROKE!
Old 20-11-2006, 10:27 PM   #9
Mick K.

If you have an SVT airbox and an SVT snorkel, they will fit and it will take about 10 mins to fit. No cutting or taping required. You only need to do some DIY surgery when you try to fit an SVT snorkel with the original Focus Zetec airbox. I did this and it took maybe 30 mins anyway.

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 10:47 PM   #10
tabaccs

Where can you get these intakes (the volant and the svt from) and how much do they cost?

Adam

ST170 Side Indicators, K&N Panel Filter, Factory Scuff Plates,
Leather/Alloy Handbrake Cover, Body Kit
tabaccs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 11:17 PM   #11
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

Electronic
Bid
Against
Yourself - Ebay

The SVT snorkel and airbox cost me US $190+50 postage. Expect to pay around $270+ for a volant CAI

Old 26-11-2006, 03:03 AM   #12
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

OK guys I ve installed the svt airbox and snorkel. Straight fit. Took me 15 min.

I have to tell you its made a significant difference at the low end. Feels as if the cars been released off its shackles. The engines runs a lot smoother. And it sounds nice too. A touch quieter than stock airbox without the resonator. But it purrs very nicely.

Would recommend to ANYONE who wants a bit of low end :sm_headba

Old 26-11-2006, 02:54 PM   #13
WRC1AB
WRC1AB

Will a K&N zetec filter fit the st170 aitbox?
I'm thinking of doing the same, st170 snorkle+airbox swap.

But I want to use the same air filter i have for the zetec.

any ideas?

Nick.
Old 26-11-2006, 08:22 PM   #14
melbzetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lifeliveit
Electronic
Bid
Against
Yourself - Ebay

The SVT snorkel and airbox cost me US $190+50 postage. Expect to pay around $270+ for a volant CAI
Thats a great price. When a few of us looked at the ST airbox a few years back it was well over $500 from a Ford Dealer here in Oz, plus the snorkel
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 27-11-2006, 01:30 AM   #15
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

Ive ordered a K&N filter too. The filter is the same for both airboxes

Old 13-11-2007, 05:32 PM   #16
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

HUGE GRAVE DIG! Sorry.

But Ive been thinking about this mod. From looking at pics on the net, I cant really see much difference between the zetec airbox and the ST airbox...

Is there a difference between the boxes (apart from the snorkel inlet shape / size), or will adapting the ST snorkel to the zetec box give the same results?
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2007, 07:07 PM   #17
melbzetec

A realyy good question, and one that is being debated on FocusFanatics at the moment.

Short answer...I don't know!

Old 13-11-2007, 07:44 PM   #18
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Just looking now at random photos on the net.

The ST170 airbox looks no different. The Ford SVT (US) doesn't have the resonator box, but rather a type of short ram tube that looks to sit to the side near where the bonnet meets the fender.

I can buy this setup for $180 delivered including the ST snorkel. Im just not sure if its worth buying the airbox as well, or just getting the snorkel...
Old 13-11-2007, 08:11 PM   #19
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Sorry $260 delivered... I cant read ;)
Old 13-11-2007, 10:00 PM   #20
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Hey mate.. HAHAHA you read my mind. i was going to ask this exact Question.

you can get the snorkel for 75USD from Fleabay obviously in the us.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2007, 10:22 PM   #21
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

from what Ive found the box itself is pretty much the same, I cant see anything that would give any power increase, and to get the box its about another $180.

Im going to buy the snorkel and dremel out the input hole in the stock airbox to fit the larger pipe.

Pretty sure the snorkel is cheaper through european parts Photn (AU$40 - $50 +ship), unless your buying the airbox as well, which US ebay is the shot.
Old 13-11-2007, 10:41 PM   #22
melbzetec

US$175 here plus freight. At least it's a reputable supplier

http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?Pag...ory=273&Page=2

Old 13-11-2007, 10:48 PM   #23
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

i tried those guys a few times and they knocked back my credit card every time saying it was a verification problem. There's nothing wrong with my card though.
In the end i got the dirts and gave up.
Ended up making my own modification to the snorkel, whether or not it made any difference i don't know but it didn't cost me anything and kept me occupied for a few hours.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2007, 11:19 PM   #24
melbzetec

Lots of guys have used them in the past with little problem.

Was your delivery address the same as your credit card account address?

Old 14-11-2007, 07:39 PM   #25
Tj-zetec

yes it is, i even tried paypal but that got knocked back too.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Old 14-11-2007, 10:03 PM   #26
photn
AFF Post NAZI

hmmm

Should TRY EP.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 05:28 PM   #27
Tj-zetec

yeh but they were dearer.

Anyway i can't spend anymore money on the car for a while. Between now and the end of January i have rego, Christmas, a trip to Fiji and a tour through Canberra, Melbourne and Adelaide with my band to pay for.
Imma gonna be poor for a bit.