Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 27-10-2007, 12:00 AM   #1
Vines5161

Default New member

Well not really. My wife and I are in the Territory Ford Forum but I have just bought an '03 zetec focus for myself. It's a 3 door machine silver with factory 17" alloys. Option wise I don't think it's been touched. It was one owner with 42 thou on the clock with books. I pick it up on Tuesday from the dealer. I don't want to modify it as I think I looks and drives great. I have pulled my 10' sub and amp out of the old car ready for the focus but I think that will be it. At 40 I'm getting to the stage of just anjoying a good drive off the shelf. I love the shape of the LR. It looks much more aggressive than the LS. It's a clean shape that looks hot. Does anyone know what options were available for the LR Zetec?
When I test drove it I found that the rear tyres were very noisy. They are near new Eagle F1's. Original fitment I think. The fronts are a different brand but I can't remember what they are. Is it normal for the F1's to be noisy? What brand do I replace them with with spending a fortune.
I hope I can join in to this forum with good news, not complaints about my recent purchase.
I really wanted a ST170 and the dealer has got one with 53 thou on the clock for $21,500. Looks fantastic but unfortunately out of the price range for me.
How important is it running on premuim?? The dealer has told me that I can run it on regular unleaded without effecting the warranty. I have been told this will effect the performance and the economy. Is this true????
I love the look and feel of the car and just want to learn more about it from others.

Vines5161 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2007, 12:25 AM   #2
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Hey mate. i own a 2002 Ford Focus Zetec Machine silver as well...

They are great Cars out of the Box....There wherent many options as far asi know that you can fit these days. there was ESP which is what i have .but there are just some basic things like matts and all those little things.

EOM tyres suck. i have Contisport Contacts on mine and the car GRIPS like glue.

There is an ST170 going for 16 at the moment with 100thou on the clock.

I run mine on 98 all the time. Helps with fuel econ and keeping the enigne clean. i get about 600+ out of a tank. got 800 once b4.

Welcome to the Focus Section btw

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2007, 07:54 AM   #3
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Welcome Vines. You'll have great fun in your Focus.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU RUN IT ON REGULAR UNLEADED!!!

The dealer is an idiot. The Zetec has 96kw at the crank compared to the base CL (auto) which is 80 something.......both from the same 2 litre engine. How? Because the Zetec has a different tune and more aggressive timing and NEEDS the premium unleaded. The Focus uses so little fuel (esp compared to the Territory!!!) you won't notice the price. Get something like BP Ultimate and you'll go further on each tank anyway.

I have the Eagle F1's but don't really notice the noise....but that's all I've ever had on the car.

In terms of options, you've got the 17" alloys which is good. There was a body kit developed by Ford Australia, but are all gone I think. There were some little bits and pieces like gear knobs and handbrake handles. Cruise control was optioned on some. ESP can't be retro fitted.

But don't get into all of that, because you'll never stop!Because the Focus was the best selling car in the world for about 3 years, there are heaps of accessories and mods available both in the UK and the US. Once you start it will never end!!

There is only one compulsory mod on the Forums... you have to change the orange side indicators to the clear ones from the ST170!!!!

ps I'm 49, so at least there are two mature voices here now....unlike some of the younger idiots who lurk around here!!!!ROFL (I won't mention names, but they start with Sean and Adam)
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Welcome Vines,

As melbzetec has pointed I am one of the younger idiots on here (Adam).

As everyone has said don't run it on regular unleaded because it will start to ping off its head.

Someother factory options are the ST170 alloy pedals, they are a tad expensive but look a treat.

Also for better throttle repsonse you can pick up an auto air deflector for $41 from the dealer. It was fitted to the automatic LR Focus.

If you have any other questions there are heaps of people here that will kindly help you out.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2007, 11:32 AM   #5
Vines5161

Thanks for the warm welcome. I will post some pics when I get it home in the driveway. The clear side indicators sound good. Can someone post a picture of it done or direct me to the thread about doing it. The car does seem to have an extra bit around the front skirt and a small bobtail on the rear hatch. Anyway a picture will tell the story.
Old 27-10-2007, 12:08 PM   #6
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Hey mate..

Here are a few piccies of mine... Youll Probably notice i have ST170 wheels.

Old 27-10-2007, 12:32 PM   #7
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

For something a bit better, go here!!!!! (Joking Sean)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918/1
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2007, 12:40 PM   #8
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Welcome Vines. You'll have great fun in your Focus.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU RUN IT ON REGULAR UNLEADED!!!
Also not E10 safe according to Ford.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2007, 01:23 PM   #9
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also here is a link to the eurofordclub.com tutorial for changing clear side indicators

http://www.eurofordclub.com/phpnuke/...howpage&pid=12

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2007, 01:32 PM   #10
Vines5161

Thanks for the pics. Yes it does look good with the clear indicators. Both of your cars look very nice. Mine has got the same body kit as Melbzetec's 4 door. I did not notice any body kit on Photn's 3 door although I do like the look of it with the ST170 rims. By the look of it the only option Mine has not got is the cruise control.
Old 27-10-2007, 02:57 PM   #11
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quite right mate. i Dont have a bodykit... Yet... will be purchasing one quite soon me thinks....

Cruise Control is great. but as i have esp i cant install it.. :( but the right foot will have to do.