Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-08-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
kcej
2mny projects 2 lttl time

Default AU3 BEM replacement....retrain or not?

If I replace the faulty BEM in my AU3 wagon with a known good one, will I need to.....

1. Do nothing to retrain it to my key?

2. Go through a retrain process (switch it on for an hour till the door locks cycle, etc., etc.) ?

3. Take it to a Ford dealer to get it retrained to be compatible with my ECU, Keys, etc.?

kcej is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
kcej

Default Help

Anyone done this before?

Surely someone has had their BEM crash and knows the answer??

Thanks Keith
Old 12-08-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I've only ever changed an ECU (not BEM) in an EF Fairmont; for that one, i didn't have to do anything special; it worked out of the box.

OK, so that doesn't help for an AU, probably, unless it's an AU1 using smartlock (maybe).

The usual advice with this swap is do 3, but if you don't need the car for a few days, maybe swap it over and try 1, and then 2 if 1 doesn't work, and then do 3 if 2 doesn't work (and make sure to post up your results).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 09:22 PM   #4
smally289
growing up is optional

Ive had fun with these before ..... http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11223017
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2009, 01:40 AM   #5
kcej

Default Thanks

Thanks guys....will try to get it going this weekend, and as soon as I have, WILL post results

Thanks again, Keith
Old 18-08-2009, 01:36 PM   #6
kcej

Default Results.... BEM replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
(and make sure to post up your results).
Just remembered a nephew is an ex-Ford mechanic so I asked him

Says it needs to go to Ford to be retrained to my keys, but good news is its only about $80 (plus towing of course)

Being a bit tight with money, I'll fit it myself and try the self-retrain before I spend the money, and will update the thread with my results either way.

Cheers Keith
Old 24-09-2009, 11:55 AM   #7
67fasty
Starter Motor

How did you go? I've got a similar problem as at this morning. Keen for a cheap/quick fix rather than towing the car to the dealer! :
67fasty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #8
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67fasty
How did you go? I've got a similar problem as at this morning. Keen for a cheap/quick fix rather than towing the car to the dealer! :
AFAIK its a dealer job, there's a unique key # programmed into both the BEM and the ECU, if these don't match then the BEM will shut you out. The idea behind it is for anti theft so that you can't use an engine from a stolen car and its ECU to run. Also you will need all sets of keys + fobs when you do get it re-programmed.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2009, 11:08 PM   #9
hsv.eta

So just to make sure I have understood all these (bloody AU is may more complicated than my old XH) In order to fit a new ECU one would need the ignition (including two keys), BEM, and ECU from the same car, otherwise its off to ford to have it reprogramed (if installing a new ECU with the original ignition and BEM).

2006 Octane BF XR6 Turbo Sedan

2005 White Courier Dual Cab
hsv.eta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 12:20 AM   #10
Ride
Stay Classy ™

That would be correct, I enquired about this when I first considered swapping the motor out, spoke to a friend who works in Ford service and a tuning shop, both said the same thing.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post