Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-09-2005, 04:19 AM   #1
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 2 Fast 2 Furious.

Just watching 2 fast 2 furious on foxtel and noticed at the start in the first drag that Brian O'connor(silver skyline),his car is righthand drive(same as australia) but all the other competitors cars are lefthand drive(like USA),does anyone know whats up with that?

RavenLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2005, 05:56 AM   #2
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

rough guess but i think the car was kinda directly imported from japan (rhd) or they bought and they didnt do the rhd to lhd conversion
xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2005, 06:33 AM   #3
ImpulseTaco
n00b

The skyline was only ever designed to be RHD. The only countries that ever got them officially were Japan (of course), Australia, and the UK. My understanding is there was some problem with the location of the turbos or somesuch that prevented them from making the vehicle LHD.
Old 24-09-2005, 07:45 AM   #4
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's why Americans love them so much, they are actually not very common over there.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2005, 10:30 AM   #5
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
That's why Americans love them so much, they are actually not very common over there.
Plus R34 GTRs kick **** too! I would love to have one. There is a blue one goin around here. Very nice cars indeed. Too bad it gets fried lol.

Got to love the muscle cars aswell. Its so funny when the Mitsubishi Spyder gets his **** presented to him on a plate.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2005, 03:52 PM   #6
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Damn, I was going to say cause its a crappy movie and the market the movie appeals to would be too busy counting stickers.
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2005, 08:12 PM   #7
LTDHO
The one and only

As said, it's a Jap import and the same as it left. RHD
Why waste money on conversion whe you can buy NAWZ
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2005, 09:14 PM   #8
chippa6
Novice Professional

funnily enough in america the GTR is illegal to drive on the street there was a modder over there that got a honda integra and made it look like a skyline, wouldn't know the difference until you heard it scream to 12000.
Old 24-09-2005, 10:57 PM   #9
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippa6
funnily enough in america the GTR is illegal to drive on the street there was a modder over there that got a honda integra and made it look like a skyline, wouldn't know the difference until you heard it scream to 12000.
GT-R is well and truley legal in the USA nowadays. It has been legalised for US use by quite a few companies actually....
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2005, 11:48 PM   #10
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippa6
I'm sure the ***-o-meter could tell the difference! Skyline six vs Integra four...

Here's an interesting 4-potter :P Read the article carefully, and then shake your head with disbelief ;) (it's from 1982!)

-Dave-
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2005, 09:57 AM   #11
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I'm pretty sure the R34 in 2F2F isn't a GT-R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2005, 10:18 AM   #12
ImpulseTaco
n00b

my understanding from some articles I read in sport compact car (mag over here) was they converted a GT-R to a "drift car" by removing the front wheel drive bits.

I remember thinking they were insane for doing this, because 4x4 is one of the best parts about having a GT-R in the first place.

As far as the cars being over here in the US:
NO cars are allowed over that don't explicitly meet DOT/NHTSA rules & regs. This is a problem that I will face when I import a Falcon here. What can be done, is that a petition (by a COMPANY, not an individual) can be sent to the DOT/NHTSA saying that the car can be modified (again by a COMPANY, NOT individual) into compliance with DOT/NHTSA regs. Once thats done, then you can import the car and the COMPANY you contracted with can perform the modifications.

Other possible ways:
It appears to me that most of the rules specify that a "motor vehicle" must be in compliance to be imported. I don't see any specific rule that "parts" must be in compliance, or are even prohibited from importation, so while there is a rule that specifically prohibits disassembling a vehicle and importing the parts to be reassembled, I don't think there is a practical way they can enforce it.

You can also ask for a Show/Display permit, which allows a vehicle that doesn't meet DOT/NHTSA regs to be imported andit DOES NOT have to be modified. There is a 2,500 mile/year limit that it can be driven which lasts for 10 years. The vehicle also must be of some significance to be imported under this provision. (Only few made, driven by a famous person, etc) The XC Cobra is on the list of vehicles specifically allowed for import for Show/Display.
Old 25-09-2005, 12:42 PM   #13
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseTaco
The XC Cobra is on the list of vehicles specifically allowed for import for Show/Display.
And good luck to anyone who can find one aswell. Ive only ever seen one on the road and Im sure that could of just been a replica. Replica or not it sure was a beast.
Old 25-09-2005, 01:00 PM   #14
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

i also noticed something when i saw the first movie a few weeks ago...

when it does the fancy camera work, where the camera shows you the inside of the engine etc, vin diesels RX7 has pistons....
Paris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2005, 01:04 PM   #15
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty sure they show rotors in that camera shot.
Old 25-09-2005, 01:05 PM   #16
BlackLS

Quote:
The skyline was only ever designed to be RHD. The only countries that ever got them officially were Japan (of course), Australia, and the UK. My understanding is there was some problem with the location of the turbos or somesuch that prevented them from making the vehicle LHD.

FYI, the last Skyline we that was officially imported by Nissan and sold at a Nissan dealer was the R31 Skyline (boxy family cars). Also the last Supra we got was the "Celica Supra" which was a mid-80s 2.8l monstrosity.

But so many Skylines get privatly imported, you'd think that it was sold locally. In Sydney, there are as many Skylines as there are noticable WRXs, which are sold by dealers.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2005, 01:11 PM   #17
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Not quite correct, Argon

Nissan imported 2 door r32's in 1992 but they didnt sell after the Bathurst drama and so on. Anyhow Nissan pretty much said never again and all R33 and R34 are imports and the originial Aus-spec R32's are worth a pretty penny because they can be insured easier.

Check out
http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/porta...opDefault.aspx

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2005, 03:07 PM   #18
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
my understanding from some articles I read in sport compact car (mag over here) was they converted a GT-R to a "drift car" by removing the front wheel drive bits.

I remember thinking they were insane for doing this, because 4x4 is one of the best parts about having a GT-R in the first place.
Why bother?!?

I might be showing some ignorance here, but isn't a GTST a RWD GTR? With maybe a bit less power? Surely for a RWD drift car a GTST would suffice...

-Dave-
Old 25-09-2005, 03:15 PM   #19
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
Not quite correct, Argon

Nissan imported 2 door r32's in 1992 but they didnt sell after the Bathurst drama and so on. Anyhow Nissan pretty much said never again and all R33 and R34 are imports and the originial Aus-spec R32's are worth a pretty penny because they can be insured easier.

Check out
http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/porta...opDefault.aspx
Thanks for that, I wasn't quite sure
Old 25-09-2005, 03:28 PM   #20
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Ok no first off, the R34 in the movie IIRC was actually the main actors personal car he said as much in an interview before the movies release here in Oz. I dont recall the show the interview was on but he was talking about how great it was to have the Evo and Spyder given to them for the movie by Mitsa as well as the fact that he was rapped about being able to use his own car in the movie.
Secondly Argon, sorry to burst ur bubble dood but the Supra was still brought into the country by toyota up until 2 models after the Celica Supra, it was the 3litre N/A to start with and then in the next update we got the 3.0 T, it was up until the late 80s early 90s I think.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2005, 03:30 PM   #21
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
Why bother?!?

I might be showing some ignorance here, but isn't a GTST a RWD GTR? With maybe a bit less power? Surely for a RWD drift car a GTST would suffice...

-Dave-

RB25DET vs RB26DETT and its not only just the 100cc difference and twin turbos, the GTR engine is significantly stronger, AWD, Flared guards, interior/equipment differences, brakes. And now days a 32 or 33 GTR isn't that much more expensive than a GTST.

You can make the GTR a RWD by hooking up a aftermarket torqe splitter to the ATTESA unit and adjusting it so 100% of the torque to the rear wheels

But i agree with you a GTST would be a smarter idea to be used for drifting
Old 25-09-2005, 03:32 PM   #22
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTR
Ok no first off, the R34 in the movie IIRC was actually the main actors personal car he said as much in an interview before the movies release here in Oz. I dont recall the show the interview was on but he was talking about how great it was to have the Evo and Spyder given to them for the movie by Mitsa as well as the fact that he was rapped about being able to use his own car in the movie.
Secondly Argon, sorry to burst ur bubble dood but the Supra was still brought into the country by toyota up until 2 models after the Celica Supra, it was the 3litre N/A to start with and then in the next update we got the 3.0 T, it was up until the late 80s early 90s I think.
Yea? shows how much i know of that era.. I need to go back to bed me thinks sleep:
Old 25-09-2005, 03:37 PM   #23
K_Man
Whoa, this is heavy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonEF
FYI, the last Skyline we that was officially imported by Nissan and sold at a Nissan dealer was the R31 Skyline (boxy family cars). Also the last Supra we got was the "Celica Supra" which was a mid-80s 2.8l monstrosity.
The R31's were built locally, we didn't get any of the sweet import R31's (which were a lot nicer), but we did see the coupes on Bathurst.
Old 25-09-2005, 03:46 PM   #24
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Man
The R31's were built locally, we didn't get any of the sweet import R31's (which were a lot nicer), but we did see the coupes on Bathurst.
Was the 31 GTS-X Australian delevered or are they grey imports
Old 25-09-2005, 03:49 PM   #25
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And now days a 32 or 33 GTR isn't that much more expensive than a GTST.
Yeah but to get a schmick example expect to fork out about $40-50k and thats for a 32 or 33.

And expect to pay BIG MONEY for an R34

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsa...pe=1&make_id=5

Old 25-09-2005, 03:53 PM   #26
K_Man
Whoa, this is heavy!

GTS-X is an import, the only R31's built here were the 4 door sedans with the RB30. In Japan there was the sedan we got (which was the base model), the 2 door coupe, and the 4 door pillarless hardtop, most with different variations of the RB20, a CA18, and the RD28 which i believe was diesel. The only hot r31 we got was the GTS (white series II, red series III), with worked n/a rb30's. Which is a real shame, i think the japanese r31's would of done very well here.
Old 25-09-2005, 05:07 PM   #27
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
RB25DET vs RB26DETT and its not only just the 100cc difference and twin turbos, the GTR engine is significantly stronger, AWD, Flared guards, interior/equipment differences, brakes. And now days a 32 or 33 GTR isn't that much more expensive than a GTST.

You can make the GTR a RWD by hooking up a aftermarket torqe splitter to the ATTESA unit and adjusting it so 100% of the torque to the rear wheels

But i agree with you a GTST would be a smarter idea to be used for drifting
lol well there you go ;) I spose being TT would completely change the behaviour of the engine as well!

Personally I'd go an 86 :P (mustang that is!)

-Dave-
Old 25-09-2005, 08:54 PM   #28
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Yeah but to get a schmick example expect to fork out about $40-50k and thats for a 32 or 33.

And expect to pay BIG MONEY for an R34

But in Japan im guessing they would be more common?
Old 25-09-2005, 11:36 PM   #29
GenesiS
*Smart *** comment here*

Hmm... actually the 2f2f skyline was a GTR as stated, it was rhs and was recently for sale... approx $136k appartently, as it was the 2nd hero car in the movie, the first was deystroyed...

Paul Walker does own a GTR, though it wasn't the one in the movie obviously...

Insteringly enough, the hero car, which is the car they use for all th clsoe ups and has everything done up and is polished and not used for any stunts was a full GTR IIRC, hpwever it didn't use Nos as advertised, but NX, the cheaper creppier version, prior to sale they removed the Nos hookup though, however it did have all the ricer crap hookeup to it, and everything was top of the line, over nited from japn... scuse the pun
GenesiS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2005, 11:50 PM   #30
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Im sure he said it was his car that they used for the opening sequences, I could be wrong. It does happen, rarely lol
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post