Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-06-2006, 06:21 PM   #1
mark180227
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default So called speed limiters -Channel7

Just saw the report on channel 7 about the new speed limiter computers that are going to be put into most new cars...looks pretty dodgy...most people will proberly turn them off anyway...What do you guys think?

on another note i wouldnt mind a kremp kreme doghut...

mark180227 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 06:32 PM   #2
Paxton
Cobblers!

Slowly, and in English please.

I know nothing of these Speed Limiters of which you speak.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 06:52 PM   #3
shane3
FPV GT 0915

Very old post!!!!! Basically the unit is about the size of an old VCR player and is hooked up to your cars computer as well as satellite navigation and as you enter a new speed zone it decreases/increases the speed at which the car can legally do.
So far they have only been testing in the UK.....BUT the problem is that EVERY speed sign/zone would have to be programmed into a main data base for the system and sat nav to work; it also costs about $3000.
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 06:55 PM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

what's a Kremp Kreme doghut?????
Sounds like a new style of doghouse.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 07:10 PM   #5
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

It would never work anyway. The governments keep changing the speed signs. To keep track of it all would be a full time job. lol

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 07:12 PM   #6
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

I think he meant "Krispy Kreme" doughnuts? :

http://www.krispykreme.com/glazed.html

yes i feel like one now.
Old 22-06-2006, 07:32 PM   #7
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

I don't think it will ever happen. People will never personally buy them, fleets might, but while people might support the idea in principle it will be very unpopular in practice.

Places like sydney, very few people actually drive at or below the speed limit. Also can you imagine one car trying to overtake another both at the maxium limit with only engineering tolerances seperating.. (ie overtaking at 111 kmph another car at 110 kmph).
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 07:52 PM   #8
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark180227
Just saw the report on channel 7 about the new speed limiter computers that are going to be put into most new cars...looks pretty dodgy...most people will proberly turn them off anyway...What do you guys think?

on another note i wouldnt mind a kremp kreme doghut...
I want one of those doghuts you have seen though!
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 08:07 PM   #9
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

I could go a doughnut too, maybe a coffee as well. Damn i wish donut king was open.
Old 22-06-2006, 08:11 PM   #10
mark180227
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Apparently these things work with a GPS unit. This unit constantly moniters where the cars are and what speed limits apply. The unit then sends out signals to the vehicle, which the driver must react to. If the driver dosent react the accelarator pushes against the drivers foot resulting in the car slowing down. I don't know how this works but im just going by what the report said.

Sorry, I mean Krispy Kreme. A new one opened up in Fountain Gate
in Vic. It has no importance to this topic I thought i would just as it in.
Old 22-06-2006, 08:17 PM   #11
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70caprigt3k
I could go a doughnut too, maybe a coffee as well. Damn i wish donut king was open.
Hurry up and get down there it's Thursday night. Late night shopping
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 08:17 PM   #12
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
what's a Kremp Kreme doghut?????
Sounds like a new style of doghouse.
:hihi:

Kremp Kreme doghut hahahahhaahahahaha ahhhhhhhhhh.....

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 08:29 PM   #13
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Fountain Gate... I can see Kath n Kim lining up now!!!
Old 22-06-2006, 08:47 PM   #14
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

There'll be one opening in Woden, ACT soon... lol.

The report said that it has already been trialed for 12 months in Australia, at least on one BA/F...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 09:09 PM   #15
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID XR8
Hurry up and get down there it's Thursday night. Late night shopping
you could have told me that before the drinky drinkies :

*edit* i could really go for a bag full of those delicious cinnamon coated doughnuts
Old 22-06-2006, 09:28 PM   #16
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphido
I don't think it will ever happen. People will never personally buy them, fleets might, but while people might support the idea in principle it will be very unpopular in practice.
For those of us that actually saw the segment i can tel you now it will happen. They are having road trial as we speak. Ford have give them a fleet of car to fit and test it on. They will be standard equipment on all cars, there will be no option on them going by what they were saying.

Quote:
Places like Sydney, very few people actually drive at or below the speed limit. Also can you imagine one car trying to overtake another both at the maximum limit with only engineering tolerances separating.. (ie overtaking at 111 kmph another car at 110 kmph).
You seem to be missing the point. I wont matter how hard you try you wont be able to break the speed limit, next thing you know you have us all driving Yugo's.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 09:46 PM   #17
mark180227
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
For those of us that actually saw the segment i can tel you now it will happen. They are having road trial as we speak. Ford have give them a fleet of car to fit and test it on. They will be standard equipment on all cars, there will be no option on them going by what they were saying.

You seem to be missing the point. I wont matter how hard you try you wont be able to break the speed limit, next thing you know you have us all driving Yugo's.
thank You. It seems like that. Talk of it being it standard on all new model of cars in the next two years...
Old 22-06-2006, 10:03 PM   #18
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cant see it happening, much more viable for the government to install more speed cameras.
Imagine the revenue that would be lost if you were not able to speed.
Remember its the $$$ that matter not road safety.
GTPete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 10:10 PM   #19
jmc-007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark180227
Apparently these things work with a GPS unit. This unit constantly moniters where the cars are and what speed limits apply. The unit then sends out signals to the vehicle, which the driver must react to. If the driver dosent react the accelarator pushes against the drivers foot resulting in the car slowing down. I don't know how this works but im just going by what the report said.

Sorry, I mean Krispy Kreme. A new one opened up in Fountain Gate
in Vic. It has no importance to this topic I thought i would just as it in.

Thats good when the GPS speed is showing you going 15kms slower than you are. :
jmc-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 10:43 PM   #20
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And it is SOOOO difficult to jam a GPS........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 11:01 PM   #21
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

There are GPS issues all the time... and it's not that hard to muck one up...

If they do introduce this, it means that fines will go up....

Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 23-06-2006, 08:56 AM   #22
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

THis will not happen for several reasons.
1) How do you implement it on a XB GT, not many computers....
2) If it is only on new cars, what about imports and balance of trade?
3) New buyer pushback will almost bankrupt Ford & Holden with the drop in new sales.
4) People do NOT like being told what to do and will oust any government that tries to do so. If the government really could get away with this sort of thing then cigarettes would be banned totally, guns would be banned totally, all unemployed would be drafted etc. etc. etc.
5) Public liability, the first time one of these things malfunctions and causes a fatal accident all hell will break loose.
6) Public responsibility, why do you need a drivers licence if you are just a passengers in a computers controlled box?

I remember seeing tv science documentaries in the '70s about how by the years 2000 cars will all fly and there will be colonies on the moon..........

We HAVE been to the moon and we HAVE built experimental flying cars........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 09:11 AM   #23
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Never a truer word spoken. :
I don't think it will happen. :dr_Evil:
Old 23-06-2006, 09:47 AM   #24
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

If it's introduced as a standard component and cannot be disabled, it won't happen. Too hard to introduce, ppl won't like it, and there are some circumstances that I have been in where I've had to go 5k's over the limit to avoid some messy situations, etc...

Old 23-06-2006, 10:12 AM   #25
blownvn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe they'll do an old car amnesty/buyback scheme.

Hand in your old cars for payment from the government. _
blownvn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 10:35 AM   #26
spoonage
Long Member

What if you have to accelerate hard out of an intersection? But crash because the limit is 50km/h, but if you planted it you would've lived.

What if you're being chased by criminals who have disabled it and are shooting at you? I know I will have no hesitation speeding if I'm being pursued.

It won't take off.
Old 23-06-2006, 12:42 PM   #27
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

I could see it being installed and being switchable on or off, just like a more advanced version of those speed-alarm things in some cars that beep when you go over the limit..

But it'd HAVE to be an option for all the reasons mentioned above.. revenue, people's hate of government control, etc.

If it was compulsory you'd have a bloody uprising.. even from people like me who drive like a granny (6yr old in the car 99% of the time).. just because it's totally unreasonable for the government to control us like that and not give us the freedom to make mistakes.
PH47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2006, 06:59 PM   #28
VSSII

It's pretty simple I think. Just do not watch this rubbish on TV. Everyone knows they peddle rubbish and the way they bend the truth beggars belief. This is just the latest example that achieved the desired result and got people to tune in. I've no idea how they call themselves journalists!
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2006, 01:33 PM   #29
Cespenar
Huh?

After having worked with EXPENSIVE (Govt) GPS equipment with Govt surveyors, I can tell you that GPS needs time to tune in, and that is when it has at least three satelites minimum. When one of those three drop out, the GPS system has to wait for another third one to come over the horizon. What the heck does the computer do then? Stop the car? Just turn off? Burn out? Or tell you to go faster because it thinks you are going slow? NO! It cant happen with a $3000 GPS. Try a $30,000 GPS linked to a permanent high flying plane.
Cespenar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2006, 01:37 PM   #30
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Not really related... But...
They use a tracking system in some Prime Movers in the NT that haul a lot of fuel.
The operator at their Depot knows everything about the truck, what speed it was travelling at, when the driver last stopped, and for how long. What the trucks motor is doing ie- Revs, Engine Temp, Oil Temp all the good stuff.
Cheers